• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Gratis

This is all good news. Those left on contract form a solid core (IMO Golec, Baro, Brama, Hiariej and maybe DDS) + squaddies and MM can build from there.
With quality coaching it's possible that, again in my opinion, Pain and Hoole might upgrade from squaddies. All either of them need is to show some consistency in delivering quality in their final decisions and touches. Rowles and Wales in time after more development, maybe in another season.

I have it on good authority Sully was a prescriptive coach who did not encourage thinking or adventure from his players (sounds familiar...*cough Okon*) but at least had more tactical flexibility. I don't believe he was the way forward for us in terms of the academy or any of the youth players' development and transition into the first team. Which is clearly a must.

The other good sign is it appears that MM and Monty have struck up a healthy relationship early on.

I know next to nothing about Balder so no comment there.

All very good signs. Happy with the decisions so far.

Wombat

Do we want to keep McGing?

I dont but Okon signed him in a Moss like moment...so we are stuck with him. I'd piss him off and bring is a decent player as i'm sure he cant be on big bucks.
players like mcGing and Roux cost you big dollars in lost gate revenue over the year

Rowdy

Very blunt announcement. The hurt is still felt in that announcement. Not the usual thanks for your effort and time here and we wish them good luck. Very telling.

Indeed !
- & that 'bluntness' can possibly be attributed to the the Club's abhorrent disgust (and additionally MC being made aware of 'the incidence' ➡) that quite a few players were quite clearly to be seen laughing & joking to one another at the end of the game.

Believe it to be the catalyst for todays announcement :cool:.

That behaviour is a telling factor !
& led me to pose the question to Sean (on the podcast) about;
"What type of culture within the squad could possibly bring about that type of result ??" .... taking into serious consideration that:

a) it was made known to all of them that Mulvey would be scrutinising the performance.

b) CONTRACTS !! were most definitely 'on the line' for a considerable number of players

c) the Wellington win now required a MINIMUM of a draw to avoid the dreaded ' Wooden Spoon'

d) & last but not least
......... It's Josh Rose's last fcuking game at his beloved club ffs !!

Combining all these and putting them into perspective I remarked to Sean quite frankly that I personally deem this to be unequivocally "the darkest hour in the club's history to date".
- his response to this Q of culture ? was a shaking of the head with a pursed lipped look of utter disbelief of the events during & after the game.

He lamented along the lines (listen to the pod for the exact words), that it is extremely dissapointing to see and that the Club and Mike Mulvey now have some serious work to do in this area .... & it starts NOW.

It was after the segment with Sean, off air during a break, that he explained to all of us there, the 'hectic' (as he described it) 48hrs he had post the game, with calls to MC, talks with Mulvey .... that the bad/(good to some) news would break tommorrow (today) of the announcement of player & staff departures effective immediately.

Jimmy then asked would it be done individually/player by player ?
- "Nope ! It needs to be done all at once!"

Subsequently it was swiftly done, which I think was needed, to send a clear message to existing players, incoming players, fans, current member's, member's thinking of not renewing and lastly the ever observant analytical media
........ that this stops now !!

Thus, by my reasoning, the 'bluntness' in the Club Statement released today.
- a good decision imo

Last edited:

Big Al

Indeed !
- & that 'bluntness' can possibly be attributed to the the Club's abhorrent disgust (and additionally MC being made aware of 'the incidence' ➡) that quite a few players were quite clearly to be seen laughing & joking to one another at the end of the game.

Believe it to be the catalyst for todays announcement :cool:.

That behaviour is a telling factor !
& led me to pose the question to Sean (on the podcast) about;
"What type of culture within the squad could possibly bring about that type of result ??" .... taking into serious consideration that:

a) it was made known to all of them that Mulvey would be scrutinising the performance.

b) CONTRACTS !! were most definitely 'on the line' for a considerable number of players

c) the Wellington win now required a MINIMUM of a draw to avoid the dreaded ' Wooden Spoon'

d) & last but not least
......... It's Josh Rose's last fcuking game at his beloved club ffs !!

Combining all these and putting them into perspective I remarked to Sean quite frankly that I personally deem this to be unequivocally "the darkest hour in the club's history to date".
- his response to this Q of culture ? was a shaking of the head with a pursed lipped look of utter disbelief of the events during & after the game.

He lamented along the lines (listen to the pod for the exact words), that it is extremely dissapointing to see and that the Club and Mike Mulvey now have some serious work to do in this area .... & it starts NOW.

It was after the segment with Sean, off air during a break, that he explained to all of us there, the 'hectic' (as he described it) 48hrs he had post the game, with calls to MC, talks with Mulvey .... that the bad/(good to some) news would break tommorrow (today) of the announcement of player & staff departures effective immediately.

Jimmy then asked would it be done individually/player by player ?
- "Nope ! It needs to be done all at once!"

Subsequently it was swiftly done, which I think was needed, to send a clear message to existing players, incoming players, fans, current member's, member's thinking of not renewing and lastly the ever observant analytical media
........ that this stops now !!

Thus, by my reasoning, the 'bluntness' in the Club Statement released today.
- a good decision imo
Yes definitely heard all that on the pod, however it’s another to actually put it in a club announcement in today’s political correctness and you could say fakeness climate, was very interesting . Could definitely here what they were saying.
We blame you and you and you

Rowdy

That would be an expensive decision and one that I can't see the club making wether mulvey wants it or not
Wout did so much hard work in the defensive side of things that really goes unheralded. He also believed I think, just through some of the things he said, that they were being very unwise with the game plan employed. I think this has much more to do with his frustration and brain snaps than team performance

A departure of Brama may or may not come about, its really dependent on a multitude of factors.
- Mulveys perceptions of him could change in the coming 4 weeks

- Mulveys decision on Melling staying (for me Mellsy is a ball playing DM that likes to get forward and we really need Hiariej to be doing JUST THAT instead next season)

- whats on offer in the market for a holding DM but for less coin ??, as $400-500 k can/could be better utilised across a few positions to be filled.

We've seen in the past in this League and at multitudes of clubs, that when a player, despite being on contract, isn't wanted & it's made clear to them ... the decision for the player becomes to either look for a new home or waste their time on the bench 'just for the $$'s
- which can be detrimental for that next move, with little Football both 'in the legs' and on the highlights DVD, to show prospective clubs.

Tavares and Faty bring to mine this example .... even Mrdja, all 3 didn't give a flyingf#k where they ended up next.

Wout, I dont think is in the same vein as the above in ethic - he's 31 and may even have other A-League clubs interested IF this becomes the scenario .... if not surely East Asian or lower division Euro clubs as well.

Last edited:

Rowdy

I'd be happy for Brama to stay on the proviso that Mulvey uses him as the dedicated DM sweeping in front of the back 4, dropping in there when L&RB's bomb on.

Whilst Hiariej pushes higher up the pitch to link with a 10 outside the D and create, push great 'thru balls' as well as shoot to try and contribute more goals.

I really feel Okon fcuked us this season by NOT applying this tactical defination of roles, as both Wout and Tommy 'rotated' the role of going forward which created an instabillity (ie holes) in the midfield which was evident in the counter attack against us.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Very very happy with all departures. Though the fitness coach did seem great on the pod. A couple more should go but contracts make no sense to ditch right now.

Strong statement of intent had to be made. And players had to be held accountable for their performances. Well done CCM.

Lachie Wales deserves a contract. Stepped up, presents/wants to play and takes control and responsibility. Shit load more than many others and everything L Rose did not do and has been wisely let go. Kekeris looked fired and very hungry, interested in him also, but I think it’s going to be very interesting to see who Mulvey looks to bring in.

Unlike some happy to still have Hoole and Pain. They just need a quality coach, who can develop our attack and a proper target to hit.

Big Al

- Mulveys decision on Melling staying (for me Mellsy is a ball playing DM that likes to get forward and we really need Hiariej to be doing JUST THAT instead next season)

Wout, I dont think is in the same vein as the above in ethic - he's 31 and may even have other A-League clubs interested IF this becomes the scenario .... if not surely East Asian or lower division Euro clubs as well.
You need depth and we saw what happened when Tom was out. Melling would be the backup, so yes you do need the same position as Tom for injury and suspension. Apart from his errors he was good. Pretty much what the backup should be capable but not the same standard.

Wout will be fine getting a gig back home, he really was like DDS more me. Both have great resumes but didn’t produce anywhere near the quality expected. No great loss if left but we can’t be paying him to leave and if he stays he needs to be in the pitch not suspended or injured

nebakke

On Wales, can you think of another Aleague side where he would even make the bench right now? Ditto Rowles.

I don't think that's the right measure though... As much as we complain about it, we do target being the development club and, when it works, it's something that we as fans have tended to pride ourselves on.
I doubt it we'd see Wales or Rowles on the bench at any other club, but I reckon there are players of similar skill levels on the benches and even starting at times... In that case their issue is age more than skill...
I don't believe that Rowles is the worst defender in the league and Wales is the ditto mid...

JoyfulPenguin

Not actually seen Melling do anything other than cough the ball up time and time again
Personally rate Liam Rose higher than Melling. Melling is a hard worker and a good tackler but his positional sense is awful. His passing was alright to begin with but only got worse as the season went on, culminating in one of the worse passing displays from a defensive midfielder I have seen against Perth. He might be able to do a job playing very simple balls to Tom beside him but unless his defensive positioning gets better he should be nowhere near a contract.

Big Al

On Wales, can you think of another Aleague side where he would even make the bench right now? Ditto Rowles.
Not necessarily but he is a coastie and he was better than Hoole on corners and free kicks. While the stats only give him 2 assists he had 2 secondary assists as well. Didn’t start playing till the team sucked. He knows he needs a huge preseason. Now knows he’s not as good as he may have thought and not far off as well. Definitely worth a 18-23 squad position for me.
Especially as MC wants cheap and youth

JoyfulPenguin

I don't think that's the right measure though... As much as we complain about it, we do target being the development club and, when it works, it's something that we as fans have tended to pride ourselves on.
I doubt it we'd see Wales or Rowles on the bench at any other club, but I reckon there are players of similar skill levels on the benches and even starting at times... In that case their issue is age more than skill...
I don't believe that Rowles is the worst defender in the league and Wales is the ditto mid...
Wales is the equal of Theoharous who consistently gets game time for Victory. He's better than Thurgate at Newcastle, Parkhouse at Wellington, Broxham at Victory, Atkinson at City, Andreu at Perth, Oxborrow at Brisbane, Sotiro at Wanderers. All these players get regular game time at their clubs and Wales, in his natural attacking position is just as good of not better.

scottmac

Suspended
A departure of Brama may or may not come about, its really dependent on a multitude of factors.
- Mulveys perceptions of him could change in the coming 4 weeks

- whats on offer in the market for a holding DM but for less coin ??, as $400-500 k can/could be better utilised across a few positions to be filled.

We've seen in the past in this League and at multitudes of clubs, that when a player, despite being on contract, isn't wanted & it's made clear to them ... the decision for the player becomes to either look for a new home or waste their time on the bench 'just for the $$'s
- which can be detrimental for that next move, with little Football both 'in the legs' and on the highlights DVD, to show prospective clubs.

Tavares and Faty bring to mine this example .... even Mrdja, all 3 didn't give a flyingf#k where they ended up next.

If Brama goes to another a league club we will regret it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred