• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

World Transfer Speculation

Dutch Wives

of course it does, chelsea and russians go hand in hand with illegal dealings /sarcasm

should be a good signing, will prove especially useful when malouda drops off mid-season

dibo

Given that just last week there was an OECD report about how football transfers are being used as a means to launder money, yeah, it does smell like money laundering.

'Football clubs are the perfect vehicles for laundering money'

Cross-border cash flows attract money laundering
Criminals use clubs to forge legitimate ties

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 1 July 2009 20.23 BST Article history

Criminals are increasingly using football for money laundering and tax evasion, helped by the globalisation of the sport and financial needs of clubs, an anti-corruption body said today.

The world's most popular sport is attracting criminals with its huge cross-border money transfers and often obscure accounting methods, a unit of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development said.

"Football clubs are indeed seen by criminals as the perfect vehicles for money laundering," the OECD's Financial Action Task Force said.

While other sports such as cricket, rugby, horse racing or motor racing were also under threat, football was "an obvious candidate to examine money laundering through sport" because it dwarfed all the others in its global scale.

In one case, the report said, investigators thwarted an attempt to launder money through the purchase of a famous Italian club with funds supplied by a criminal association operating in central Italy.

"Proceedings for money laundering, insider trading, extortion, unfair competition and other offences are ongoing," it said, without naming the club.

Based on 20 cases of money laundering in football, the report concluded that the structure, financing and culture of the sport are all conducive to financial crimes. It cited two examples of tax evasion involving players in Britain, one linked to image rights and the other to a signing-on fee that was hidden from tax authorities.

Boosted by lucrative television rights, the amount of money in the game has exploded, turning venerable clubs into massive business enterprises. The heady sums paid for top players reached new heights last month when Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo completed a record 80m transfer to Real Madrid.

Despite the sport's scale, with 38 million registered players and five million referees and officials, many clubs are managed by amateurs and can easily be acquired by dubious investors, the report said.

Massive money flows that move in and out of tax havens, huge and irrational transfer payments, inflated agent fees and betting networks can all help criminals trying to pass off their illicit gains as legal.

The sport's image also plays a role. Clubs are less likely to report money laundering for fear of losing sponsors, while criminals may use ownership of a club to forge legal business ties and win lucrative construction contracts.

The report cites several examples of clubs in financial difficulties whose deficits were funded by suspected criminals.

Investors may get their "laundered" funds back by selling the club's equipment and services at inflated prices, or via sales of media rights, tickets, players and merchandise.

Global transfers of young football players can also attract human traffickers, the report said. The task force recommends building better awareness and improving governance and financial transparency.[/url]

FFC Mariner

Reading between the lines of the most recent SMH expose, other, more local sports may have been pioneers in this area (allegedly)

Dutch Wives

yeah i saw that headline, hadn't read it though.
looks like RA has had his eye on laundering from russia for a while  ;)

http://www.tribalfootball.com/chelsea-owner-abramovich-chasing-zhirkov-four-years-255567
Chelsea owner Abramovich chasing Zhirkov for four years

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has been chasing new signing Yuri Zhirkov for four years.

The Daily Mail says Abramovich told him to study English four years ago after Zhirkov scored the winner in the Russian Cup final.

The advice went ignored, in part because he really had his heart set on a move to his childhood idols Barcelona. Zhirkov publicly lobbied for a move to the Nou Camp until Abramovich had a quiet word on international duty a month ago.

Kareem

lol
now i want to see one for Viduka...
just to finally settle his undeniable ability :p
anyone up for the challenge?

Kareem

hasbeen said:
Gabriel Obitan has gone to Man U .. player of the tournament in the recent U21 Euro's ...
great buy IMO
a lot better than Valencia buy (i still dont get it :p)
and Man Utd elading race for Huntelaar
Surely Machado going on loan then?

tuftman

I'd keep Macheda there, Rooney, Berba and Huntelaar alone can't do all the work over a probable 55+ games season

Kareem

well my logic is...
Rooney, Berba + Huntelaar are first 3 strikers
then Owen
surely thats enough
and I heard Obertan can play up front if needed?
now...Macheda as 5th choice behind Owen isnt exactly great for his career?
4th choice would have been suitable
If Owen is 4th choice, I feel that injuries wont be such a problem!

p-diddy

Kareem said:
well my logic is...
Rooney, Berba + Huntelaar are first 3 strikers
then Owen
surely thats enough
and I heard Obertan can play up front if needed?
now...Macheda as 5th choice behind Owen isnt exactly great for his career?
4th choice would have been suitable
If Owen is 4th choice, I feel that injuries wont be such a problem!

Dude, the guy is 17. He's going to get his chances thoughout the season, along with young Wellbeck, and he'll be getting regular action in the reserves. He's got along way to go before he has to start worrying about his career, I'm sure alot of 17 yr old kids would die to be 5th choice striker in the Man Utd frist team.

serious14

What Parksey said.  I'd definitely keep Macheda around - as shown last season, he's good in a clinch, and as per 90% of Fergie's discoveries, the sheer potential is there for all to see.  I wouldn't say no to Huntelaar though, always good to have options when Owen gets injured.

Wouldn't say no to the other Owen (Hargreaves) being uninjured either.  We missed him quite a lot last season (especially against Barca).

Kareem

im sorry but...thats irresponsible for his devlopment IMO
a handful of appearances was good enough last year...
but this year he should go off on loan or be counted on for the 1st team
he has shown his talent- dont do the madrid thing and let him rot on the bench.
Looks like he will mostly have cup games...

but I do suppose these are views coming from an Arsenal enthusiast (+ fan)- so not much suprise

tuftman

He'll probably get game time either side of European midweek fixtures, no sense in wearing him out ala Bojan Krkic at Barca season before last. Assuming he doesn't go out on loan, he'll be part of Fergies plans somewhere down the line+he'll play reserves or for the underage team week in week out so he'll see plenty of football

serious14

El Kareemo - we played 60 something competitive fixtures last season.... assuming we even go close to that number again this season (say, low 50's??), to want Rooney and Berba to start all of those is nothing short of unrealistic.  Two cup runs can be expected again, and barring disaster, another tilt at the UCL.  There's room in there for everyone to play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred