• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Next CCM Manager

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
all I know is , the joint aint gonna spend $650 - 700 k on Poppa or someone similar in that price range.

Gratis

FWIW I thought the criteria behind hiring Okon was exactly the right move - an up and coming coach with some credibility and capacity to work within a budget and youth.
Just didn't work out this time.

scottmac

Suspended
Key Quotes: CEO, Shaun Mielekamp addresses media
Today at the Central Coast Mariners Centre of Excellence, CEO Shaun Mielekamp fronted the media in the wake of Paul Okon’s departure.

Whilst the press conference took place, Caretaker Coach Wayne O’Sullivan took charge of his first training session at the helm of the Mariners.

Mielekamp emphasised the importance of the club’s impending coaching appointment, urged the fans to continue their support and spoke about continuing the growth of the Central Coast Mariners Football Club.

Key quotes from Shaun Mielekamp’s press conference:

“There are plenty of experienced players in the group, plenty of players who have been through these moments before. I spoke to them all this morning, and everyone is focused on the job at hand. The energy that we can see out there has been very positive today, everyone is really focused on the weekend, and sticking together and being strong for the club.

“There’s never a good time. That’s the way the cards have fallen, so we’ve got to move forward.

“We [Paul Okon and the club] have been in conversation for some time about what the future looks like, and it became clear that it was untenable for a future with Paolo, so it was decided yesterday that we would mutually part ways.

“We are getting stronger, we are headed in the right direction and we have got to keep going in that direction. This club is really built on the community, our basis is there, and there is no easy fix – there’s no lightning bolts. For us it’s about rolling our sleeves up, getting everything right and making sure we step forward from this point. The last two years we’ve stepped in a positive direction, and now we have to make sure that the next step is another step forward.

“There’s a long list [coaching candidates]. We’ve got a lot more clarity as to what we’re looking for moving forward - the type of coach, the type of personality that we need to take us on the journey to the next step, but we will take our time to make sure we get it 100% right. It could be one of the most important appointments in the history of the club, so we can’t make a mistake.

“We are looking for someone to take us forward, to understand everything that we’ve done, the journey that we’ve been through, what we do, what our philosophy is as a club, and how to evolve it, how to take it forward. We need someone with a lot of experience and credibility, and ability to take us forward. We’ll go through that process, there’s a long list. It’s a really important decision, we can’t get it wrong.

“[Paul Okon] took us a long way forward. He is a brilliant coach, and he has done some brilliant things for this club that will stay with the club for a long time. We can only thank him deeply for what he has brought to this club, what we have learnt from him. It was just a matter of we were moving in different directions.

“The players, like everyone else, will be waiting to see what the coaching appointment looks like, for those who are off contract, but we will be speaking with all the players, and I spoke to them all this morning, and the door is always open for all of them.

“It’s about really understanding why we would make a decision without the coach in place [to re-sign a player], and why a player would accept that. In saying that, there are plenty of reasons why the answer would be yes. There’s plenty of reasons to say that there is young talent coming through that has the heart and soul of this club in their DNA, so why wouldn’t look to keep them in the club. There are some players who want to wait, until the coaching appointment is there. So, it’s a pressure moment for us, but if we take it all case by case, we will make the right decisions, and we will definitely put a lot of work in to get it right.

“The key message is that we need you more than ever [supporters]. We are the community club, and so we need the community behind us through this time. I’m not going to deny that this is a tough time for the club, but it’s also an opportunity for us to be strong and show that we’re together. There are plenty of boys who are going to put their heart and soul out onto the pitch, and I’d like to see everyone get behind them.

“It means that we learn from past mistakes, it means that we make sure that we’ve got every resource available and we leave no stone unturned. It’s a clichéd statement but it’s something that we need to focus on. With every decision, with every recruitment, with every appointment that comes through, we know exactly why, and the whole club is behind that decision,” Mielekamp said.

Gratis

Paul Okon quits Central Coast Mariners: who’s next in line?
Patrick Boddan, Central Coast Gosford Express Advocate
an hour ago
PAUL Okon is gone. It’s done, it’s dusted.

A season that promised so much ends with the coaching merry-go-round on the Coast spinning once again.

I don’t know about you, but I’m getting giddy.

I’m also confused - it’s weird that a head coach would quit rather than be sacked in a cut-throat industry like football.

b50f7d7ab28bcfc69d5ffb715a12982f

Central Coast Mariners players train as usual despite the absence of Paul Okon. Picture: AAP IMAGE / Troy Snook
Something has to have been at play there.

For now though, just like those in positions of authority at the club, we need to move on, and quickly.

There are four games left before the end of the season, and by that stage I would argue that the Mariners need to have a new head coach instated, for no other reason than to give him as much time as possible to shape the squad in his image.

e4793908c1e449df6187b9217c9ed942

Central Coast Mariners CEO Shaun Mielekamp addresses the media after Paul Okon quit on Tuesday. Picture: AAP IMAGE / Troy Snook
If polarising former manager Tony Walmsley is to be believed, the search may go global for the position and attract hundreds of applicants, but we’ve whittled it down to five much more realistic possibilities.

TONY POPOVIC
A-League experience, big name, tactically astute. Popovic ticks a number of boxes, but with that comes cost. His name will be thrown into the mix as he is a free agent at present, but he was on big money at the Wanderers - more than a large chunk of the Central Coast roster combined - and I just can’t see the Mariners shelling out that sort of cash. He doesn’t strike me as the sort of coach that would be comfortable working with restricted budgets either.

3f318bfc5b881d4a9885d90b93a51c5b

Tony Popovic. Photo: Ryan Pierse/Getty Images
MIKE MULVEY
Another with A-League experience, and flexible within the sytem he employs, Mulvey is without a club after leaving Thai side Tero Sasana last year. He delivered a title to Brisbane Roar in 2014 before being unceremoniously sacked six months later, and presents a cost-conscious option for a club known to be tight with the purse-strings. Was linked to the job two years ago before Okon was appointed.

6546184c467cd419365a2ebf6063ab4c

Mike Mulvey. Photo: Will Russell/Getty Images
AURELIO VIDMAR
Had his issues as manager of Adelaide United in the late 2000’s but did manage to guide them to the Asian Champions League final during his tenure. He also served a solid apprenticeship under several managers at national level over a six year period. Was most recently in charge of Bangkok Glass in Thailand where his record over one season was quite strong. Would demonstrate ambition as his name carries some weight.

2abb4524a71ba90521fb9974b6974d2a

Aurelio Vidmar. Picture: George Salpigtidis
MARK RUDAN
Arguably the most interesting proposition of the bunch, Rudan is a perennial contender for just about every A-League job that pops up but is yet to land a gig. His resume is far from extensive but does include two NSW Premierships and two Australian Championships during an impressive four-year stint with Sydney United 58 in the state league. There’s an aura about him that commands respect - something the next boss will require in spades.

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

thanks for watching!
opt-out-icon2.png

0f5c23287bc915843501b94dc8e34683

Mark Rudan. Picture: Mark Nolan/Getty Images
BEN CAHN
Makes the list through plenty of bias on my side - I have nothing but respect for the guy and the way he sets up his team - but also because he’s a known quantity to the Mariners having spent two seasons as the Youth team head coach and Academy Head of Performance. Would be taking a big punt - he currently coaches Brisbane Olympic in the Queensland NPL - but his track record with young players deserves a look-in.

0cb2d030e4118ada99176a0ef3bee2bd

Ben Cahn. Picture: Jason Pratt
Honourable mention to former captain John Hutchinson, but his stable job with Seattle Sounders may be hard to walk away from.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...e/news-story/8fb196fb42969b35c0b338e4ad1f0c9c

nebakke

No? What happened

Sorry mate - I forgot for a minute that this isn't the Internet-internet and i just sort of auto-responded as soon as i saw an Arsenal/Wenger reference :oops:

It's a reference to this skit from "The IT Crowd" about how to talk football :)

Leading into this

Bit of a laff innit... ;)

Insertnamehere

Sulli better not be the favourite.
Mulvey I could handle. Though some of the NPL candidates mentioned previously sound a goer.
Obviously the club needs to be thorough and vet the candidates to the nth degree because this is a make or break appointment. Maybe enlist some old boys to be a panel or something like that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180321-185842.png
    Screenshot_20180321-185842.png
    197.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Wombat

Sorry mate - I forgot for a minute that this isn't the Internet-internet and i just sort of auto-responded as soon as i saw an Arsenal/Wenger reference :oops:

It's a reference to this skit from "The IT Crowd" about how to talk football :)

Leading into this

Bit of a laff innit... ;)

Very funny show.
What night is it on and what channel?

Big Al

“We need someone with a lot of experience and credibility, and ability to take us forward”.

Taken from Shaun presser.

So a rookie coach sounds out of the question but who meets the criteria and we can afford.

Mulvey might be a strong candidate based on that

pjennings

“We need someone with a lot of experience and credibility, and ability to take us forward”.

Taken from Shaun presser.
So a rookie coach sounds out of the question but who meets the criteria and we can afford.
Mulvey might be a strong candidate based on that

Shaun wants - relatively cheap, experienced, credibility, good man management and able to work with a tight budget in a community club.
Mulvey, Miron, Cranky Franky, Edwards, Rudan, Popovic, Aurelio, Crittenden - none of them fit all the criteria.

Ben Cahn is not experienced but might make a good assistant.

midfielder

Shaun wants - relatively cheap, experienced, credibility, good man management and able to work with a tight budget in a community club.
Mulvey, Miron, Cranky Franky, Edwards, Rudan, Popovic, Aurelio, Crittenden - none of them fit all the criteria.

Scott Miller looks the goods

true believer

Id give him the job . Go find a striker and with what we have i think we could compete .and id be happy with a striker from league 1 in pommyland .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred