• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Next CCM Manager

Wombat

I thought miller was going well .
The chinese are difficult to deal with
To . If your not fully aware of the idea of saving face . A striaght no is an instant dismissal for a subordinate .
Miller mighten of understood that.

Miller is a decent young manager BUT he is an intense f**ker. He needs to chill out.....and getting sacked is a great remedy.
I would prefer Mulvey but can see Miller fitting the clubs ethos....if we have one apart from not spending money?
Hopefully the pole from a few years ago has been removed from his arse and he might be what they are looking for.

Big Al

Miller is a decent young manager BUT he is an intense f**ker. He needs to chill out.....and getting sacked is a great remedy.
I would prefer Mulvey but can see Miller fitting the clubs ethos....if we have one apart from not spending money?
Hopefully the pole from a few years ago has been removed from his arse and he might be what they are looking for.
Not experienced enough, think we need to look for a foreigner myself as locals with experience are out of a job for a reason.

Gatty’s list in that football pod that fit what our pressor said was
Kossie. No thanks
Van Egmond
Can’t remember the third

Hammo

It has to be Monty and or Hutch for the full time gig..... the club would be CRAZY to not be speaking to them those guys bleed yellow!!! Time to bring some passion back to the club!!!!

nebakke

I think either would be mad to start their career with us tbh... Hutch seems fairly well-liked at the Sounders and has been handed the reigns of their second-team, seems like a good approach for a coach learning the ropes, he can probably afford to fail there without it destroying any career dreams. Whereas the scrutiny here would be high and going from early on. If I was him, I'd be looking to hang around somewhere else in order to return with some more experience under the belt, some years down the track.

Big Al

Monty would be disappointed not to be in the mix you'd think?
No don’t think so. He needs to stop playing for Wolves and start coaching if he really wants to be a coach.

He is an ex footballer with a license not a coach at the moment.

Depending on what goes down maybe academy or assistant is a better start.

We do need experience

adz

Staff member
I'd prefer someone with some experience, even if only for a couple of years, with the view to bringing Monty/Hutcho through in the future. Have everyone on board now though and work towards a long term plan.

localpom

No don’t think so. He needs to stop playing for Wolves and start coaching if he really wants to be a coach.

He is an ex footballer with a license not a coach at the moment.

Depending on what goes down maybe academy or assistant is a better start.

We do need experience
I would love to see Monty back as a player next season for one more year. I'm sure he would play for not much over minimum wage to have one more year. Plenty of benefits for the club with his experience and he is still more than fit enough and still playing. This can lead on to an assistant role in the future. Monty and Wout as DM's and move Tommy H to right back possibly as he has played there in the past. This gives the team some great experience and culture. From a fans perspective it would be a massively popular decision. We have enough cover if Monty struggles for the 90 but i'm sure he wouldn't. We missed his leadership this year.

Woollybutt

I could see Monty taking an assistant job next season, or maybe something in the youth team, but not as a player or head coach. I actually think Monty's current job should be perfect for him, it's just that his skills and experience seem to have been squandered this season. In an ideal world, you'd have Monty constantly around the first team, both at training and on the bench for matches. He'd be a confidante for the players, and the bridge between the players and the coaching staff, allowing the head coach to be a bit more hands off and build his authority (which can be tricky for young coaches). He'd work closely with Baro to help him understand what the captaincy means at a little club like ours, and helping to inculcate the values of the club. He'd talk to the media, taking some of the press responsibilities off a coach renowned for his poor communication. And in particular, he'd spend a lot of time with the NYL/Academy teams, and even the younger groups. He'd work closely with young guys on the fringes of the first team, like Rose, Berry, Kekeris, Wales, Pearce, Glover, and Bingham, helping them to work through the frustrations of not being involved in the first team, understand what it takes to be a pro, and identifying technical, physical, and tactical weaknesses. He'd have a word well before a drinking culture could develop. He'd identify the most promising prospects from throughout the Academy structure and expose them to first team training as part of their development. And when the coaching staff changed he'd be able to provide some continuity.

In short, he'd be using his respect and popularity, his leadership, his playing experience, and his life experience to mentor players, bridge the gap between academy and first team, and support the coaching staff. At the same time, he'd be learning the coaching side of things in a less pressured environment than first team coaching, or even youth team coaching (thinking of what happened to Zwaanswijk), so that in a few years time he could move into full-time coaching, and we'd find someone else to fill the 'Head of Football and Elite Performance' job.

Liverpool used to have a coach employed in a job like that, who used it as a spring board to get into management in the Netherlands. I think it would be perfect for Monty, and it's kind of what I expected him to be doing this season. Maybe he has been doing some of those things, but it certainly looks like Okon wasn't interested in having anyone that could be perceived as a threat to his authority anywhere near the team. I imagine Monty would have been one of those involved in recruitment decisions if Okon had accepted the new model that's been talked about, so that's pretty telling. Hopefully the next coach is willing to use him better.

tyson

I could see Monty taking an assistant job next season, or maybe something in the youth team, but not as a player or head coach. I actually think Monty's current job should be perfect for him, it's just that his skills and experience seem to have been squandered this season. In an ideal world, you'd have Monty constantly around the first team, both at training and on the bench for matches. He'd be a confidante for the players, and the bridge between the players and the coaching staff, allowing the head coach to be a bit more hands off and build his authority (which can be tricky for young coaches). He'd work closely with Baro to help him understand what the captaincy means at a little club like ours, and helping to inculcate the values of the club. He'd talk to the media, taking some of the press responsibilities off a coach renowned for his poor communication. And in particular, he'd spend a lot of time with the NYL/Academy teams, and even the younger groups. He'd work closely with young guys on the fringes of the first team, like Rose, Berry, Kekeris, Wales, Pearce, Glover, and Bingham, helping them to work through the frustrations of not being involved in the first team, understand what it takes to be a pro, and identifying technical, physical, and tactical weaknesses. He'd have a word well before a drinking culture could develop. He'd identify the most promising prospects from throughout the Academy structure and expose them to first team training as part of their development. And when the coaching staff changed he'd be able to provide some continuity.

In short, he'd be using his respect and popularity, his leadership, his playing experience, and his life experience to mentor players, bridge the gap between academy and first team, and support the coaching staff. At the same time, he'd be learning the coaching side of things in a less pressured environment than first team coaching, or even youth team coaching (thinking of what happened to Zwaanswijk), so that in a few years time he could move into full-time coaching, and we'd find someone else to fill the 'Head of Football and Elite Performance' job.

Liverpool used to have a coach employed in a job like that, who used it as a spring board to get into management in the Netherlands. I think it would be perfect for Monty, and it's kind of what I expected him to be doing this season. Maybe he has been doing some of those things, but it certainly looks like Okon wasn't interested in having anyone that could be perceived as a threat to his authority anywhere near the team. I imagine Monty would have been one of those involved in recruitment decisions if Okon had accepted the new model that's been talked about, so that's pretty telling. Hopefully the next coach is willing to use him better.
I think Monty just needs to coach somewhere and work his way up if that is his goal, rather than be a baby sitter for whoever comes in as coach. Man management and inspiring the players to get the best out of them is part of their job as head coach. I also think Baro has enough experience to be a leader. He should understand what this club is about by now.

style_cafe

It`s Mulvey for me.
He plays a similar style to what we have played this year but delivers more punch up front.
He also seems to have a plan B & C, has had success with Roar & would have to move to the coast...:popcorn:

Woollybutt

I think Monty just needs to coach somewhere and work his way up if that is his goal, rather than be a baby sitter for whoever comes in as coach. Man management and inspiring the players to get the best out of them is part of their job as head coach. I also think Baro has enough experience to be a leader. He should understand what this club is about by now.
It's more that a job as a head coach, and to a lesser degree as an assistant or youth coach, is incredibly cut throat. I'd rather him learn the coaching side of things in a job he isn't going to be sacked from after a run of poor results than lose him like Hutch and Zwaanswijk, while at the same time making a tangible contribution to the club. We have a woeful record of transitioning former players and coaches into meaningful off-field roles and I don't want us to drive another club legend overseas or to a rival. There also aren't enough coaching jobs in Australia to say he can just go somewhere and work his way up when there are guys like Pappas, Crittenden, Cahn, Vidmar, etc. who can't get a look in. He'd have enough connections through Sheffield that I'm sure he could find an assistant job somewhere in England, but then he'd be lost to us anyway.

On Baro, I don't think he's held the squad together in the way Hutch and Monty have. He may be experienced enough to know what being a captain's about, but it's still his first season with us, so it would be tough to expect him to know what being a Mariners captain is about.

pjennings

We actually need a community minded manager and an experienced manager and someone that bleeds for the Mariners.

They could be three different positions - since no-one will fit all three or do all three well at the same time..

A Head of Coast Football to connect with the community - especially the football community including CCF, CCUFC and the local clubs. My nomination would be Lawrie.

An experienced manager - Mulvey at this stage seems to be the best of those nominated.

The last position is to bring Monty in as an assistant to Mulvey (a condition he may not want). Monty wants to go into managing and he needs to start somewhere. If he serves his apprenticeship here then he is in a good position to take over in a few years.

Wishful thinking I know - but no-one since Lawrie has connected in the same way and at so many levels. I think that position is essential in a regional club and really can't think of alternate candidate.

Edit ****
Just caught some of the wrap up of tonight's game. Kossie was also talking about the importance of Adelaide connecting to their community and the new owners looking at doing that. He talked about the importance of getting some of the earlier players, the 'old brigade' back, visible and accessible to the normal fan to show that ;they are all it in together.

Of course many of our ex players have moved away but others are still based on the Coast or relatively close by including some 'fan favourites'.

Last edited:
Reactions: adz

priorpeter

I don't think Monty or Hutcho have the qualifications as yet.

Monty doesn’t - has his A Licence and said he’s looking to get his Pro Diploma next year.
Hutcho, not so sure. He’d have to have his A Licence at the very least, surely

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
l63mku.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members