• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

McKINNA OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dibo

David Votoupal said:
In a market like ours, football clubs need to exploit every competitive advantage possible to sell its product. They are not just competing with other A-League clubs, but with other sports and overseas football for the attention of fans. Clubs can ill afford stagnation.

And bankruptcy is the worst kind of stagnation.

FFS - from some people on here you'd think all we need to do is snap our fingers and we'll be able to open the coffers and sign a dozen new players heedless of salary caps, profit-loss statements or existing contracts. Oh, and a new manager, preferably with some exotic overseas experience and a winning record.

Smell the f**king dencorub people, this is the A-League, not the Premier League. We're talking about having maybe 4 spots left to fill, with all players having to fit under a cap of $2.3m or so but for one marquee.

Anyone expecting radical change or magical results is going to be seriously f**king disappointed.

This is what following football in Australia *is*, especially following a 'smaller' club. Get used to it kids.

FFC Mariner

FMD, the point I am making is that ANY football club requires stability in order to build. Talking to people around the club and there seems to be an acceptance that we badly misjudged our recruitment for last season as we under estimated the strides other clubs were making.

Would you want us to do a SFC and change coaches every year, start brightly and then fade into mid table obscurity? No, me either.

LM has budgets to work in and a lot less say in recruitment than you might think. Does he coach people to stand and ignore free headers from corners? Shit cattle = shit performances.

I am not a blind loyalist, I just cant see any upside in ditching the coach as a scapegoat. There are far more deserving targets, they are simply on contracts and we have a salry cap

For the 1989-90 season, Ferguson further boosted his squad by paying large sums of money for midfielders Neil Webb and Paul Ince, as well as defender Gary Pallister (a national record 2.3million signing from Middlesbrough). The season began well with a 4-1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 51 away defeat against fierce rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked.[31] Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game."[32]

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6096520.stm

TerrigalUtd

dibo said:
David Votoupal said:
In a market like ours, football clubs need to exploit every competitive advantage possible to sell its product. They are not just competing with other A-League clubs, but with other sports and overseas football for the attention of fans. Clubs can ill afford stagnation.

And bankruptcy is the worst kind of stagnation.

FFS - from some people on here you'd think all we need to do is snap our fingers and we'll be able to open the coffers and sign a dozen new players heedless of salary caps, profit-loss statements or existing contracts. Oh, and a new manager, preferably with some exotic overseas experience and a winning record.

Smell the f**king dencorub people, this is the A-League, not the Premier League. We're talking about having maybe 4 spots left to fill, with all players having to fit under a cap of $2.3m or so but for one marquee.

Anyone expecting radical change or magical results is going to be seriously f**king disappointed.

This is what following football in Australia *is*, especially following a 'smaller' club. Get used to it kids.
:goodpost: Everone who wants McKinna out should simply read that.

Donnybrook

What we are really missing is an Ian Ferguson to do the donkey work at training. It is obvious that we have not been the same team since he left. We have to stop thinking that Jedi was the be all to end all player for us as he was always going to be snapped up. Weve had basically the same player roster & have been succesfull with it 3 out of 4 seasons. Admittedly Lawrie has made some blunders getting rid of petrovscy & especially Gumps & resigning Kwasnic but our disiplin,passing & most importatly our pride of the shirt has been greatly lacking since fergusons departure. Tobin a hell of a nice guy isn't doing the business as assistant coach. I read that we need better players, a better coach etc, what we needed was to throw some more money at Ferguson & maybe we would still be in the ACL, obviously Nth QLD saw it by offering him the job 

FFC Mariner

and anyone who had to suffer through a NYL game last year would agree with you.

Poorly organised and it was only senior players dropping down that made them look half competitive

Arabmariner

David Votoupal said:
Well even back then, Man Utd fans weren't exactly known for patience, their expectations were always high. Remember too they paid substantial sums for Birtles and Davenport, both of whom flopped after looking good at Nottingham Forest. United also had numerous chances to get back on top before Ferguson came, but never quite got it together or were just unlucky.

Timing was also critical. There was money, and there was the youth system about to produce. At the same time, Liverpool were about to come to the end of their run of success- and by the time they won their last in 1990, the cracks were already evident but few realised it at the time. Everton, Tottenham and Nottingham Forest were also very much up there in the 80s and all of them faded badly due to bad management- and in the case of Forest, pretty much ruined to the point they've not recovered. So those circumstances meant it was well worth some patience, well worth waiting for your turn.

It simply cannot be compared in any way, shape or form, to the circumstances CCM and Lawrie McKinna are facing. You simply cannot compare mature clubs in established football nations, to young clubs in sensitive developing markets like Australia.
I agree you can't compare CCM to the type of club you've listed there.

But Ferguson was a success at 3 smaller clubs,each one bigger than the last,before he went to Man U and you can compare us them.

At St Mirren he was basically a young (early 30's) untried manager but he built a terrific young side and took them from the lower reaches of the old second division into the premier league.The team he built there had an average age of 19.He would have had f**k all budget to work with there.

If and when McKinna goes imo we should be looking at young,ambitious,untried coaches prepared to give youth a chance.We're not big enough nor do we have the budget for a "name" coach or an "exotic" overseas coach.

The next Fergie has to start somewhere.He could be coming to the end of his playing days in some state league right now.

Sean

Whats the point of a poll if the Marinators end up telling us what we should think!!!?

midfielder

Cannot agree ... somewhere sometime a team was run each week by fans voting who played and on the coach .. I can remember the story ... we should try it on the coast ...

marinermick

midfielder said:
Cannot agree ... somewhere sometime a team was run each week by fans voting who played and on the coach .. I can remember the story ... we should try it on the coast ...

great, if the football nous of this forum is any indication of the central coast as a whole then we will be wooden spooning every season

adz

Staff member
midfielder said:

design by committee... oh yay... imagine the bickering on this forum x 100 and that's a community run ccmfc

marinermick

adz said:
midfielder said:

design by committee... oh yay... imagine the bickering on this forum x 100 and that's a community run ccmfc

having a go at someone up on their balcony could spell the end of your football career

conversely, being a good bloke and signing heaps of autographs could get you a permanent place in the start eleven for life

Arabmariner

midfielder said:
I reckon we'd at least get one win in six months........... :p

marinermick

Arabmariner said:
midfielder said:

and be bankrupted the next day

Arabmariner

marinermick said:
Arabmariner said:
midfielder said:

and be bankrupted the next day
The books would not be our responsibility. ;)

midfielder

It actually happen honest Indian .... it was in pommie land... the fans brought this team and voted on team selections.. players sold and brought and they won lots of games and got promoted ... it was about two years ago I read it.

We could all vote to sell Hutch... Keep Grumpy ... not sell Jedi or at least not so cheaply ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred