• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

McKINNA OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinerbhoy

Ursus said:
This thread is an insult to one of the few who is responsible for the club's existance.

The title of the thread and the words used to discuss the need for a change of management brings nothing except to display the level of ignorance shown by many on this forum and hence reflects on the Marinators and the Mariners supporters as a whole. 

LM should not be a protected species, however he deserves more respect than he is shown here by many here who would not know their backsides were on fire until they smelt the smoke.

And then they would not be sure.

putting aside his utter arrogance from his self inflated ego, he has a point. i think lawrie should move on, but some personal comments on here a way over the top. he has gone way beyond his duty as a manager for this club. and sure he had a shocker in the ACL but he has recruited 6 players for trial!!! thats a big effort from an australian club manager. and since he has worked hard in the recuitment side of things the least he deserves is one more year. its ok to criticise the manager but keep it real yea.

were you at normo oval today old man? we ruined the pitch today sadly. AA14 normo side are a nice bunch of guys. and there is deadringer for petrie in the squad.

David Votoupal

Ursus said:
This thread is an insult to one of the few who is responsible for the club's existance.

The title of the thread and the words used to discuss the need for a change of management brings nothing except to display the level of ignorance shown by many on this forum and hence reflects on the Marinators and the Mariners supporters as a whole. 

LM should not be a protected species, however he deserves more respect than he is shown here by many here who would not know their backsides were on fire until they smelt the smoke.

I have the utmost respect for Lawrie for what he has done for CCM, which has been tremendous thus far. However, I also believe in legitimate debate about the future direction of your club because of the worrying signs in an ever-changing environment. The league isn't going to get any easier.

I also think that it's worrying when people accept cliches and accept mediocrity when the club's potential is so much more.

Marquee

David Votoupal said:
I also think that it's worrying when people accept cliches and accept mediocrity when the club's potential is so much more.

Exactly David!

Take out the odd irrational post and this is the concern of most people. With the league so young, the club has a great chance to become powerful and make a name for itself. This way they can attract players, sponsors and investors to further the development and it's at these initial crucial stages when it needs to happen.

Consider being an outsider, either as a player or sponsor. In the case of the player, with salaries being roughly similar due to the salary cap, who would you rather play for, a mediocre club or one up in the pointy end of the table? In the case of a sponsor, no doubt they would be more inclined to back a successful team which will bring them exposure.

The club should know this yet there are the obvious barriers e.g. money. If there is no money to do this, well then perhaps we will have to settle for what we have.  I think what David is saying is that the sooner we settle for mediocrity, the sooner we will have it and it's up to us to push the club to the best it can be.

clarence

Ursus said:

OK, that's your view..... fair enough.

At what stage then, do you start questioning the managing ability of Lawrie ?

You know and I know, and so does everybody else, that in another League in another country, Lawrie could be out the door by now. How long did Butcher, Culina and Kosmina last with Sydney FC?

That's gotta be the benchmark for impatience by a club for success, and I think Lawrie has been doing very well from the 'good guy' tag he so rightly deserves.

But I, for one, am growing tired of his humbling (almost embarrassing) "oh shucks" routine when talking in public about the team's performances.

I *would* like to hear him f**king furious at the performance and unconfirmed reports that the next training session involved players running til they collapsed or spewed all over the pitch, or made to parade down Mann Street in a donkey suit because they made asses of themselves.

In other words, I feel that Lawrie is sending out the wrong message that he is expecting to lose or, more importantly, not win, with the team he has and is quite forgiving of them.

I also have to wonder the original point I made here on this post - at WHAT stage do you start thinking Lawrie can no longer do the job?
- When we go to the bottom of the ladder?
- When we cannot win a game all season, & Lawrie is still going public trying to have us believe that a draw is good thing?
- When players are quietly calling their agents telling them they want out of a losing team/club, even if they have to part with some money ?
- When the stadium barely gets above 5K in crowds because of poor performances and Pittwater Park is calling?

I agree also with David's mention above about the club's potential.

FFC Mariner

Ursus said:

The title of this thread is misleading and probably ought to be changed. Legitimate debate is ok though.

David Votoupal

This is a league that makes it easy to be successful, thanks to a salary cap, short season and having half or more teams in the finals. A good start gets you a long way in this league. So just being competitive and making the finals isn't any kind of achievement, it's to be expected. Accepting mediocrity and hiding behind cliches is pathetic.

Our clubs not only have to compete with other professional leagues for players, but also with other sports for sponsorship money and other sports and other football leagues for the attention of fans. Building a viable product and having a sound long-term strategy is critical to both.

fruitbat

David Votoupal said:
This is a league that makes it easy to be successful, thanks to a salary cap, short season and having half or more teams in the finals. A good start gets you a long way in this league. So just being competitive and making the finals isn't any kind of achievement, it's to be expected. Accepting mediocrity and hiding behind cliches is pathetic.

Our clubs not only have to compete with other professional leagues for players, but also with other sports for sponsorship money and other sports and other football leagues for the attention of fans. Building a viable product and having a sound long-term strategy is critical to both.

+1

We had good start and a 9 point lead in V3. We eventually scraped in because the results of other teams' matches were favourable. This was not a great achievement-sqaundering a 9 point lead and it came down to chance when we had to rely on the outcomes of other games.

fruitbat

FFC Mariner said:
FB, serious question here.

If we continually fail to meet your lofty standards, WTF do you follow the team?

Serious reply. I dont have particularly lofty standards, I just expect professionalism. If fellow fans apply this expectation to players, I dont see why it shouldnt apply to management too.

I dont think much of sychophants-ultimately their slavish loyalty papers over cracks that need repair.

fruitbat

fruitbat said:
FFC Mariner said:

If we continually fail to meet your lofty standards, WTF do you follow the team?

Serious reply. I dont have particularly lofty standards, I just expect professionalism. If fellow fans apply this expectation to players, I dont see why it shouldnt apply to management too.

I dont think much of sychophants-ultimately their slavish loyalty papers over cracks that need repair.

oops typo

sycophant (no 'h')- hope this helps as you look it up in the Websters

David Votoupal

There are no real "lofty standards" in the league in its current form (let alone miracles), but there has to be accountability and an acceptable standard set by each club for performancs. There's also the issue of momentum- because downward momentum can be a very ugly thing if it snowballs and have a negative effect on any club.

Perspectives are needed:
- a miracle is when a small-town club defies the odds to compete at a professional level, e.g. Numancia and Extremadura for a couple of years each, Eibar despite its tiny stadium and were essentially part-time in a full-time league.
- it is no achievement, let alone miracle, to be merely an average performing side in a below-average league where it's not hard to establish yourself.

Honkee

fruitbat said:
fruitbat said:
FFC Mariner said:

oops typo

sycophant (no 'h')- hope this helps as you look it up in the Websters

sycophant eh? If I remember correctly, its is a pretty awesome Nitocris song. (jk)

fruitbat

FFC Mariner said:
See Ursus, I am now officially a sycophant :)

So there!

I didnt say you were a sychophant, I said I didnt have much time for them. But given that the meaning is a 'toady', yes man' and your appeal for approval byursus, ....well if the cap fits!

fruitbat

FFC Mariner said:
Amazing that you only appear at weekends.............does the facility allow you out on Friday nights?

Amazing that you prefer to attack the man, not the argument- did you play football the same way?

FFC Mariner

fruitbat said:
FFC Mariner said:
Amazing that you only appear at weekends.............does the facility allow you out on Friday nights?

Amazing that you prefer to attack the man, not the argument- did you play football the same way?

Make a coherant, fact based argument rather than project your own assumptions as reality and I might.

As to your question, whatever it took to win. Rules only matter if the ref sees you

fruitbat

FFC Mariner said:
fruitbat said:
FFC Mariner said:

Make a coherant, fact based argument rather than project your own assumptions as reality and I might.

As to your question, whatever it took to win. Rules only matter if the ref sees you

Pfft.
Nice try, no cigar.
A coherant, fact based argument doesnt need attacking in the first place.
You have had plenty of opportunity to identify and contradict supposedly incoherent, unfactual arguments, but instead you choose to shoot the messenger.

As for attacking a player rather than the ball in a game, I just hope you dont coach kids.
Secondly, when someone resorts to cheating to win it shows that they recognise they are outclassed by the opposition. A compliment in a way for the victim, but rather sad really for the cheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred