• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

nebakke

I don't think it would be right to expect much from the next 5 games, especially when they include two against the top 3 and an improving city side. It should be more about how organised we are off the pitch, what we're doing with our tactics and the kind of fight we put up rather than the points. That said some wins or draws would strengthen the case to keep him on.

Yeah, that's fair... I didn't really mean it as 'my requirement(tm)' so much as I meant it as there being _A_ requirement of some sort... Either way I think it would be much too early to sign him based on the game against the Jest, seeing as we have the chance to actually trial him a bit and see how he fares.
The obvious downside is that it means he could slip through our fingers, the upside is that the club gets a chance to sell itself to him as well - rather than having to just mitigate what's out there in the media and the general footballing circles.

Forum Phoenix

Staj has a record of success. Okon has a record of mediocrity.
That’s being kind. Can blame MC but I heard he had a decent spend and got what he asked for with us. I was not impressed by his man management with the under 20’s.

At least half a dozen games we could of won if he’d just been willing/capable to change his tactics. Gets a”poor” score card from me.

Antlion

Yeah, that's fair... I didn't really mean it as 'my requirement(tm)' so much as I meant it as there being _A_ requirement of some sort... Either way I think it would be much too early to sign him based on the game against the Jest, seeing as we have the chance to actually trial him a bit and see how he fares.
The obvious downside is that it means he could slip through our fingers, the upside is that the club gets a chance to sell itself to him as well - rather than having to just mitigate what's out there in the media and the general footballing circles.
Frankly the scum game - although enjoyable - was about the same as many other games this season with the difference being a little bit of luck.
Had Royo scored that 2nd pen (and he should have) we'd have had almost the same outcome as any other game. That is - we started with the lead but still blew a 3-0 lead.

I would and have argued, however, that the difference was in our clearly improved defensive set up and structures. Stajcic needs more time to prove himself yet. He has my support at this point in time as it appears he knows what he is doing at least.

Antlion

Really sounds like a bloke we just got rid of.
Yep.

Difference between Okon and Mulvey for me was this:

Okon had one game plan and stuck to it even when it was found out.
Mulvey had no game plan, maintained a back 3, and struggled to see the bleeding obvious.

Both showed they were getting close to results and were cruelled by bad luck/referees/VAR.
Both would not or could not adjust.
Both shot themselves in the foot.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

That’s being kind. Can blame MC but I heard he had a decent spend and got what he asked for with us. I was not impressed by his man management with the under 20’s.

At least half a dozen games we could of won if he’d just been willing/capable to change his tactics. Gets a”poor” score card from me.
Could have, old bean, could have.

Agreed, though it turned out that MM was even worse at tactics. Okon's issue wasn't so much tactics but a lack of flexibility. MM was poor tactically but went too far the other way and chopped and changed too much, was too disruptive.

Forum Phoenix

Could have, old bean, could have.

Agreed, though it turned out that MM was even worse at tactics. Okon's issue wasn't so much tactics but a lack of flexibility. MM was poor tactically but went too far the other way and chopped and changed too much, was too disruptive.
Ah yeah. Old habits die hard.:cheers:

garlo

Agbonlahor just retired because he couldn’t find another club after being released by Villa.
If he is still fit he would pull apart the A-League!

pjennings

A bit older but Robin Van Persie is retiring at the end of season at 35. Playing in the Dutch League this season he has played 27 games for 16 goals and 5 assists. Obviously he wouldn't be up for hard running in the middle of summer but he definitely knows how to put the ball in the net. Maybe Mike can convince him of the wonders of the Central Coast.

Antlion

Stajcic's goals for the Mariners
By a Staff Writer Mar 29 2019 12:34PM
Central Coast Mariners boss Alen Stajcic has outlined his ambitious targets for the club to return them to the glory days of old.
The Gosford side look destined for their third wooden spoon in four seasons after a dismal decline since the exit of Graham Arnold in 2013.

Former Matildas coach Stajcic was appointed earlier this month 48 hours after the axe fell on Mike Mulvey following the club's crushing 8-2 thrashing by Wellington Phoenix.

The women's football veteran immediately turned the Mariners' fortunes around though and steered the side to a thrilling 3-2 win over F3 derby rivals Newcastle Jets in his debut game, dubbed a "one in a million" match by Stajcic.

It was only the second win in over a year for the Mariners, but Stajcic hopes it will be the start of something special.

But one of the biggest problems facing the Mariners is being able to attract any top quality talent to the side – and even keep their best players – given their dreadful run of form over the years.

Stajcic knows it's vital to change that if the club has any hope of long-term recovery.

"We probably lost our way over the last couple of years as a club," he admitted this morning.

"There really needs to be stability and harmony throughout the club to be able to attract the right kinds of players, to have a club that can really show promise and excitement.

"It was a strong club for a long time in the A-League and I think we have to start positioning ourself to get that status back, where we can attract the best players, keep the best players – and be a real viable option in the A-League moving forward."

After a two week international break, the Mariners are back in action at home this weekend against an under pressure Adelaide United who are fighting to keep their finals spot.

Stajcic was delighted to have star midfielder Aiden O'Neill back in the mix for him after a star turn with the Graham Arnold's Olyroos at the AFC U23s Championships qualifiers in Cambodia.

"I've been watching Aiden all year and been really impressed with him," said Stajcic. "he's a real good young kid and a potential Socceroo for sure.

"I thought he was one of the key players for the Olyroos so it will be great to get him back this weekend."

He added: "It's going to be a very tough game for us and it's a big challenge

"But we want to try to get off the bottom of the ladder and that's why three points are desperate for us this weekend."

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/stajcics-goals-for-the-mariners-523108

Wombat

Not as Apologist as the last 10 or so Numpties.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....Alen Stajic.

Alen, Alen, Alen, Alen, ALEN STAJIC....repeat.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I just saw a transfer rumor on Instagram about Galekovic coming to the Coast...could it possibly be ?

bikinigirl

I just saw a transfer rumor on Instagram about Galekovic coming to the Coast...could it possibly be ?

. i had heard a rumour a number of weeks ago about interest in an older, well credentialled and experienced Aussie HAL 'keeper ... although no names were mentioned, his name did spring to mind

. this was prior to Mulvey's departure ... and is the only recruitment rumour i had heard so didn't think too much of it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred