• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

AFC Champions League 2013

sydmariner

Add a Berisha or a Smeltz to our team and we wouldn't have lost a game all year. Either of them would have got 25 plus goals.

I always chuckle at the Asian teams are soft, divers,cheats,girls etc.

They aren't, that's how more advanced teams play. Our league is young and we are not experienced enough.

We are getting better but still innocents abroad.
what about ADP

true believer

You're on this again, and you're wrong again.

We're not just a top-6 side, we're the top side. We're the best team in Australia and we got turned over at home. If the AFC were shit we'd be waltzing to the trophy.

i wont be tugging the forelock with you real soon
you believe because these prima donna's have 4 world class players and 10 chinese internationals that asian footballers are superior .
i won't be going there .their shit ,without their merineries. where like australia against argentina in1990
we gave them to much respect. these guys are 40 years behind the japs.
but you keep star gazing .
the sooner A league teams get this . the sooner an australian team will win the AFC .

true believer

horse-funny-2012-05.jpg
lost for words ? cheers . mind you which end are you at the arse or the head.
the games afoot

true believer

They aren't, that's how more advanced teams play. Our league is young and we are not experienced enough.

no low football is unaustralian. if they tried the shin guard stunt here they would have carded the player and fined the team.
i bet if they tried that in milan there would have been a riot

Wombat

No.
Plays much deeper. Is superb at letting them rip from the edge of the box. A supreme finisher like Thierry Henry but not a real centre forward.
Clearly still a quality player and appeared to be a genuinely nice guy but not a quality 9 that we need.

Wombat

no low football is unaustralian. if they tried the shin guard stunt here they would have carded the player and fined the team.
i bet if they tried that in milan there would have been a riot

Agree with a lot of what you post ( the bits I can understand?) but think you are talking shite about Asian teams.

They nearly always school Australian teams and more often than not us!

They are fast, skillful and tricky. Coach them well and they are never to underestimated.

Also their female fans are rather cute!

dibo

i wont be tugging the forelock with you real soon
you believe because these prima donna's have 4 world class players and 10 chinese internationals that asian footballers are superior .
i won't be going there .their shit ,without their merineries. where like australia against argentina in1990
we gave them to much respect. these guys are 40 years behind the japs.
but you keep star gazing .
the sooner A league teams get this . the sooner an australian team will win the AFC .
Accepting reality isn't tugging a forelock. You're sounding jingoistic in the extreme. It's like a parody of the old school "they don't like it up 'em" mentality that English sides used to have about the tricky diving cheats from the continent who focussed on things like tactical sophistication and clever passing over good honest hard running and tough tackling.

Grow up.

style_cafe

Great game & proud of the way most of the side played.

I thought Arnie was slow in getting fresh legs onto the park when it was obvious to all that bi-ploar Pedj was playing his worst game ever.
FFS he couldn`t even throw the ball in at one stage.

I haven`t seen the replay yet but at first look their first goal was offside.(I was seated looking along the 18yd line)
Their second goal however, had been building for about 20mins with the little Brazillian running rings around Pedj & Bernie going into hiding for long periods.

We never gave up though & had quite a few chances that were saved or went wide.
With some luck or a class striker we could have had 3-4goals,but it wasn`t to be.
Another lesson learnt maybe.

PS. Rostyn Griffiths comments in the days leading up to the match were spot on.
IE. Their keeper was shakey, their defence wasn`t great,we had to put away the chances that came to us & their imports would be our downfall if we didn`t close them out.

Forum Phoenix

Add a Berisha or a Smeltz to our team and we wouldn't have lost a game all year. Either of them would have got 25 plus goals.

I always chuckle at the Asian teams are soft, divers,cheats,girls etc.

Exactly. If unfortunately. I prefer our tougher more honest footballing culture. But this is the world game. And for much of the world, this is how it's played.

I also prefer the greater technical skills of Asian and South American footballers. But I think that's in the process of changing and that on a grass roots level we are developing more creative and technical players now than have ever done before.

Gratis

there was one foul where (can't remember who) went down and then rolled around holding his leg and whining for a while and i thought 'here we go'. i'm not sure if this is the main foul others are talking about

on the replay i pointed out that where he was holding he wasn't even touched
on the second replay from a 2nd angle i saw that after the foul a mariner stepped on his leg, clearly by accident, on the way through. then i realised it was actually quite fair enough

generally i don't think they were very typically soft in their foul-seeking, not in the way that many asian teams have been before

12th player

Exactly. If unfortunately. I prefer our tougher more honest footballing culture. But this is the world game. And for much of the world, this is how it's played.

I also prefer the greater technical skills of Asian and South American footballers. But I think that's in the process of changing and that on a grass roots level we are developing more creative and technical players now than have ever done before.

I would love to mix the so called "tougher more honest footballing culture" with players of more flair and technic. Would be the perfect combination.I will cherish the day that in Australia we see more than one Rogic, Broich, Rojas, ADP, Perez, Carrascusa, Ono in every HAL team. We're not only in the process of changing but also accepting that in order to be successful in the world stage, we must add (not cahnge) to our football culture and mentality. I'm not saying we should put aside our natural attributes, eg; the spirit and the never say die attitude but, if we want to beat ( not just compete ) and win silver or gold against the best of Asia, Europe or South America, we'll need more than that. We'll need more than height, physical strength, speed and guts to win titles at international level. We need to throw into the mix players that THINK and not just run without knowing what to do next when in possesion.Players of that calibre aren't produced, they're born. Some coaches do develop these naturally born creative players but for some reason our coaches are reluctant to use them enough. There is still a preference for a Mont style sort of player.Some football fans still believe that playing and running hard is enough to compete. I agree.We'll compete but we'll never achieve. We will never look eye to eye with Brazil, Germany,etc. Without more gifted ball players, we'll keep on struggling to beat the likes of Osman!!

nebakke

Hmmm... I actually didn't think the diving was bad either... Particularly not compared to what we saw last year.. From that pov. I also think the refs have had quite a bit to do with that. Arguably they have been too lenient at times, but I think it has helped the game flow quite a bit better as it has forced some of those teams who might have a propensity for "aquatically inspired antics" to just get on with it.
I was left wondering though.. I though we controlled the first half of the first half quite well... The point when we started to fall apart was as usual, when we decided to pull back a bit and let them play... That works in the A-league, where there are few players good enough to consistently sink it from outside the box... Doesn't work as well in the ACL (I know, that's not how the first one went in, but the pressure is there none-the-less). I also think that they seemed to have that problem that we've been seeing too, where the team falls apart a bit when they are pressured heavily. that initial period, we pushed high - with defender still sitting a bit back, they rarely got the ball to their attacking area and I thought that it was quite clear that the vast majority of their technical ability sits up there. Their defenders looked pedestrian at times, comparatively speaking, and we rarely turned the ball over.
Once we pulled everyone back and started to give them space in our half, the ball got to the better players and it all fell apart.

I would be curious to see if we could maintain that sort of pressure next time and whether it'd work when they're at home.

true believer

Accepting reality isn't tugging a forelock. You're sounding jingoistic in the extreme. It's like a parody of the old school "they don't like it up 'em" mentality that English sides used to have about the tricky diving cheats from the continent who focussed on things like tactical sophistication and clever passing over good honest hard running and tough tackling.

Grow up.

your just not able to accept people will see things in a different light.
you have been conditioned to believe that all asian teams are the same
just queitly there not. the japs have highest standard in asia because of the
coaching they implemented 40 years ago .no doubt ,but the chinese
are shit .the koreans are better but still miles behind the japs .australian recovery
and sports medicine is superior to the chinese and koreans .
australia has come out from the dark ages between the end of the NSL and
the emergence of the A league . regardless of the mercinaries employed by the chinese.
or the genuine skill of the japs an australian team will win the AFC sooner rather than later.

true believer

It's like a parody of the old school "they don't like it up 'em" mentality that English sides used to have about the tricky diving cheats

funny i was probably was following south amercian football .when you were wearing liverpool jumper.
never mind you'll get it in another 20 years. daly leporsos

Forum Phoenix

I would love to mix the so called "tougher more honest footballing culture" with players of more flair and technic. Would be the perfect combination.I will cherish the day that in Australia we see more than one Rogic, Broich, Rojas, ADP, Perez, Carrascusa, Ono in every HAL team. We're not only in the process of changing but also accepting that in order to be successful in the world stage, we must add (not cahnge) to our football culture and mentality. I'm not saying we should put aside our natural attributes, eg; the spirit and the never say die attitude but, if we want to beat ( not just compete ) and win silver or gold against the best of Asia, Europe or South America, we'll need more than that. We'll need more than height, physical strength, speed and guts to win titles at international level. We need to throw into the mix players that THINK and not just run without knowing what to do next when in possesion.Players of that calibre aren't produced, they're born. Some coaches do develop these naturally born creative players but for some reason our coaches are reluctant to use them enough. There is still a preference for a Mont style sort of player.Some football fans still believe that playing and running hard is enough to compete. I agree.We'll compete but we'll never achieve. We will never look eye to eye with Brazil, Germany,etc. Without more gifted ball players, we'll keep on struggling to beat the likes of Osman!!

I agree, but I think the days of kick and chase athletes are largely behind us. The kids themselves are too inspired by the creativity and flair they see form their favourite players. The ball skills of the average under 12 A grade side are much better than when I was a kid.

May take a little before we start to truly look at selecting the kid for reps who has better ability to read the game and speed of thought over the kid who has speed of feet, but we're getting there from what I've seen. All things are important...

12th player

I agree, but I think the days of kick and chase athletes are largely behind us. The kids themselves are too inspired by the creativity and flair they see form their favourite players. The ball skills of the average under 12 A grade side are much better than when I was a kid.

May take a little before we start to truly look at selecting the kid for reps who has better ability to read the game and speed of thought over the kid who has speed of feet, but we're getting there from what I've seen. All things are important...

That's true. Younger kids which are lucky to land in the hands of a coach with a football brain, play a very skillful and attractive game. The problem starts when the good technically skillful players, make it to an elite professional level. Most of these style of players, the ones with ability to beat opponents in one on one situations, the ones with the ability to hold onto the ball when being pressured and still can distribute it with great vision and accuracy, the ones that don't run like donkeys but can win you a game out of brilliant individual play with an unexpected perfect through ball to the strikers, unfortunately most of these unique sort become restricted by the tatics and mentality of most of our HAL coaches. Clear example of this : Terry Antonis of sfc. Ball player since birth, who had to change his natural instinctive way of playing football so that he could get off the bench and fit into majority of fans, Farina's and HAL's style. His football was not as attractive but it got him game time. There are a lot of similar cases in our league where players with huge amount of talent, can't display it due to coaches screaming their heads off on the sidelines. If you look at some of our HAL coaches during a game, in a lot of instances a player is about to get the ball and the coach is already yelling at him to get rid of it quick.We've come a long way since my days but most of our HAL coaches and public still prefer the runners rather than the ball players. Agree with all things are important , but at the moment in the HAL, most of the Terryses and Cacereses are neglected. Hopefully in the next 10-20 yrs a new generation of coaches will give the special ones the opportunity and freedom to express themselves without over the top restrictions. I respect GA a lot due to his dosmestic achievements. At present he's the HAL champion coach. In saying that, I believe that Ange Postecoglou is leading the way for future coaches to implement a creative good attacking style of football by selecting players ( midfield and attack ) that have a good touch.

true believer

I respect GA a lot due to his dosmestic achievements. At present he's the HAL champion coach. In saying that, I believe that Ange Postecoglou is leading the way for future coaches to implement a creative good attacking style of football by selecting players ( midfield and attack ) that have a good touch.

GA is by far the best coach in the A league . with a chook raffle for financal support.
he's produced the most constant team in the A league.
there is a movie called "money ball" thats how he operates

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred