• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

AFC Champions League 2013

bikinigirl

. ok i have been a bit busy to post but i wanted to add a couple of comments before discussion (rightly) moves on to the next game. bear in mind i know nothing about the guangzhou players or how they normally play

. i was not aware trent would not be playing and wonder whether he may have made a difference. not meaning to discount the contribution of zac ... but we'll never know. the second goal ... pedj was turned as his player snuck inside - trent may have read that and intercepted, pedj may have been expecting (hoping) for the same

. i believe lippi was well aware of mikey before the game ... he appeared to be up against their best defender and was often double-marked even when running with the ball

. monty was often covering pedj's RB position which i assume was the plan ... but i feel sometimes too deeply. i think bernie may have been caught out under similar circumstances which allowed their first goal. i doubt the way that they constantly played down that left side with muriqui pushing the offside line was a coincidence - he was quick and tricky. just as when they defended against a pedj attack ... he was generally forced back 'inside' - avoiding a cross, putting him on his wrong foot and throwing our shape

. matty proved he is still a very good 'keeper ... we haven't been able to see much of that this season - of course he is a great sweeper - but he saved our arse several times with good saves. their 'keeper on the other hand used his arse to save them ... but the chinese 'keepers are still fumblers and we must do better against that. we are not as clinical in front of goal ... but we often had shots on target with the ball spilling out. strictly speaking our strikers don't need to be 'world class' if they can capitalise on this stuff

. overall we done good ... but it only takes a couple of lapses in critical moments to ruin all the effort. whereas they possess a bit of extra class ... this is not always evident, but when it comes to the fore - that is the difference

. i can't believe their coaching hasn't received more praise (perhaps it is implied ... but names mean nothing to me). we did not under-perform but our key guys were targeted and our shape deliberately altered from what i saw ... we have been able to overcome this in the a-league - but they were better than that

bikinigirl

. oh and it's not right if i don't mention the officiating

. i didn't think the ref was bad but the linesmen were all over the place particularly the guy on the west - he seemed to change his philosophy at half-time though :rolleyes:

. had to laugh at one point when a free kick was awarded around half way. in what looked like being a 50-50 our guy got to the ball first and brushed the knee of his chinese opponent as he past because he left it hanging. without even putting his leg down he stopped, looked at the ref and pointed at his knee ... the ball was called back

. i mean if the contact is not enough to knock a chinese player into a triple somersault with pike, a quadriple twist on the ground and an agonising but apparently self inflicted head wound ... surely that can't be a freekick, can it? :piralaugh: :innocent:

Roy Law

My worry with the officials before the game was that they were of Chinese origin (ie. Singaporean) and would have a different slant (IYSWIM) to the officiasl from Arabic backgrounds and so would tolerate the antics of Guanzhou. But to be honest, apart from the lino who didn't know the rules I thought the ref wasn't too bad.

hayson

My worry with the officials before the game was that they were of Chinese origin (ie. Singaporean) and would have a different slant (IYSWIM) to the officiasl from Arabic backgrounds and so would tolerate the antics of Guanzhou. But to be honest, apart from the lino who didn't know the rules I thought the ref wasn't too bad.
I think that is a rather 'inward' view of the officiating (would hate to use the 'R' word). I think the ref is one of the better AFC officials we have had, handled the more contentious moments extremely well. I'm sure the assistant referees know the rules pretty well too.

Wombat

I think that is a rather 'inward' view of the officiating (would hate to use the 'R' word). I think the ref is one of the better AFC officials we have had, handled the more contentious moments extremely well. I'm sure the assistant referees know the rules pretty well too.
Get back to basket weaving and burning soy candles you mug. Ref was an Asian stooge and the Liney made the HAL linesmen look good.

hayson

If the opinion is solid and not soppy PC crap....the opinion will be respected.

Regardless....welcome to the forum....and I hope we can agree on some topics in the future.
My opinion is based on my interpretation of the game as I saw it so, on that basis, should be respected. Never been 'politically correct' in my life....somewhat 'anarchistic' in years gone by.

But, thank you for your warm welcome, in both of it's meanings.

Forum Phoenix

Heh, welcome Hayson.

I agree on the coaching Bikini. It was not just their class/$$$ they were clearly better organised than the other three teams we have played. But I think even with "resources" aside, GA's coaching was still the more outstanding of the two coaching performances for mine.

Gratis

My opinion is based on my interpretation of the game as I saw it so, on that basis, should be respected. Never been 'politically correct' in my life....somewhat 'anarchistic' in years gone by.

But, thank you for your warm welcome, in both of it's meanings.
Also welcome. You'll find much disagreement here but it is generally respectful disagreement and everyone moves on with no hard feelings. heh, just go back to the first page of this particular thread for examples...

i don't really have an opinion on the refereeing objectives, that linesman was terrible though. i thought overall the ref was decent enough.

just on another point though - everyone has a right to an opinion or belief but not a right to have it unreservedly respected. or else you'd have to respect the opinions/beliefs of the klu klux klan etc.

hayson

Also welcome. You'll find much disagreement here but it is generally respectful disagreement and everyone moves on with no hard feelings. heh, just go back to the first page of this particular thread for examples...

i don't really have an opinion on the refereeing objectives, that linesman was terrible though. i thought overall the ref was decent enough.

just on another point though - everyone has a right to an opinion or belief but not a right to have it unreservedly respected. or else you'd have to respect the opinions/beliefs of the klu klux klan etc.

There is an old saying 'I don't necessarily agree with what you say but I respect your right to say it'. That is my point. I have a right to my opinion and every one has a right to agree or disagree but we all should respect those rights.

I move on with no hard feelings whatsoever. No point in entering into discussions on forums if you are not 'thick skinned'.

On the ACL campaign so far, I think Arnie has learned a lot over the last two campaigns on how to play Asian teams. That should stand us in good stead for next year's ACL.

Wombat

There is an old saying 'I don't necessarily agree with what you say but I respect your right to say it'. That is my point. I have a right to my opinion and every one has a right to agree or disagree but we all should respect those rights.

I move on with no hard feelings whatsoever. No point in entering into discussions on forums if you are not 'thick skinned'.

On the ACL campaign so far, I think Arnie has learned a lot over the last two campaigns on how to play Asian teams. That should stand us in good stead for next year's ACL.

I like this Newbie already. Maybe watched a few episodes of Kung Fu with David Carradine (recommended dvd viewing to any youngsters out there!) in his youth.

Big Al

That's true. Younger kids which are lucky to land in the hands of a coach with a football brain, play a very skillful and attractive game. The problem starts when the good technically skillful players, make it to an elite professional level. Most of these style of players, the ones with ability to beat opponents in one on one situations, the ones with the ability to hold onto the ball when being pressured and still can distribute it with great vision and accuracy, the ones that don't run like donkeys but can win you a game out of brilliant individual play with an unexpected perfect through ball to the strikers, unfortunately most of these unique sort become restricted by the tatics and mentality of most of our HAL coaches. Clear example of this : Terry Antonis of sfc. Ball player since birth, who had to change his natural instinctive way of playing football so that he could get off the bench and fit into majority of fans, Farina's and HAL's style. His football was not as attractive but it got him game time. There are a lot of similar cases in our league where players with huge amount of talent, can't display it due to coaches screaming their heads off on the sidelines. If you look at some of our HAL coaches during a game, in a lot of instances a player is about to get the ball and the coach is already yelling at him to get rid of it quick.We've come a long way since my days but most of our HAL coaches and public still prefer the runners rather than the ball players. Agree with all things are important , but at the moment in the HAL, most of the Terryses and Cacereses are neglected. Hopefully in the next 10-20 yrs a new generation of coaches will give the special ones the opportunity and freedom to express themselves without over the top restrictions. I respect GA a lot due to his dosmestic achievements. At present he's the HAL champion coach. In saying that, I believe that Ange Postecoglou is leading the way for future coaches to implement a creative good attacking style of football by selecting players ( midfield and attack ) that have a good touch.

Take ADP for example - First thoughts on the league was why are they idiots running like nut bags who have just heard a bomb siren. All effort no thought. (Obviously my thoughts on what ADP actually said - Which was they run to much without skill or thought). It has been the Aussie way for a long time. Coaches like GA were palying under these type of systems. It really the effects of Barcelona that is going to effect coaches the most as they see what skill can provide you - It resorted to some of the worlds best teams playing the brick wall defence in the Champions league because they had no answer both in skill or coaching to handle it.

Depends how you judge Ange - Victory were totally out classed at BT in the semi - There defence is shit - While you need to score more goals than the other team to win it helps if you stop some from your opponent as well.
GA for me any day over Ange - We play some pretty attacking footy we just waste a lot of chances & half chances. Give us the cash for an overseas stiker & no one would beat us.

hayson

Take ADP for example - First thoughts on the league was why are they idiots running like nut bags who have just heard a bomb siren. All effort no thought. (Obviously my thoughts on what ADP actually said - Which was they run to much without skill or thought). It has been the Aussie way for a long time. Coaches like GA were palying under these type of systems. It really the effects of Barcelona that is going to effect coaches the most as they see what skill can provide you - It resorted to some of the worlds best teams playing the brick wall defence in the Champions league because they had no answer both in skill or coaching to handle it.

Depends how you judge Ange - Victory were totally out classed at BT in the semi - There defence is shit - While you need to score more goals than the other team to win it helps if you stop some from your opponent as well.
GA for me any day over Ange - We play some pretty attacking footy we just waste a lot of chances & half chances. Give us the cash for an overseas stiker & no one would beat us.

I think ADP was referring to his SFC teammates, they run around like headless chooks because they have no structure to work within.

No one can say that the Mariners have no structure, that is one thing that Arnie has drilled into his players. They may not be the most skilful but they have been successful because they stick to a plan.

In terms of our ACL performances, I think we are, perhaps, only one or two quality finishers off the pace. If we could, somehow, find the money for a 'Lewandowski' we would win the thing next year.

bikinigirl

. i realise there are more important things to discuss ... such as whether we should play at NSO - but does anybody know when our next game is and who we are playing?

Big Al

. i realise there are more important things to discuss ... such as whether we should play at NSO - but does anybody know when our next game is and who we are playing?

Wednesday night 9.55pm fox 3 - Guangzhou Evergrande v Central Coast. 2nd Leg

bikinigirl

. oops i forgot a cheeky/wink smiley ... just thought somebody might be interested in talking about the game

. are the coast fm boys broadcasting?

. is kick-off too late for public viewing at clubs, etc? any tips?

adz

Staff member
The A-Team (Coast-FM)

23 hours ago
@coastfm and the @ateamfootball will broadcast the Guangzhou Evergrande and @ccmariners game live from the Kendall Bar Central Coast Leagues Club Wednesday night. Coverage starts at 9:45pm and all welcome to come along. #gevccm #acl2013 #acl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred