• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

AFC Champions League 2013

Forum Phoenix

Undone by some really bullshit refereeing. 1 goal clearly offside. Their penalty was a joke. And McBreen was onside for his 'goal'. Credit to our guys - never stopped trying.

Can't see any other A-League doing better than us. So it gives me confidence for next season.

We didn't get the rub of the green, but for me it didn't matter. The better side won and were clearly always going to. Just proud of our efforts. We deserve to be champions and represented Australian football very well I thought.

Can't see any other A-League doing better than us. So it gives me confidence for next season.

I'm scared we might if we lose Arnie. But no point worrying I guess.

Roy Law

Cry Me a River

No point in crying about it, no point in being angry, no point in being miserable. The Mariners were gallant, willing and disciplined; and completely outclassed. Move on and learn from it. This game illustrates what the A league, and the Mariners in particular, must aspire to, and what they can achieve.
The Mariners didn’t play badly; they simply were not good enough at this level, in this company. They would have beaten any other A League side comfortably. At no time did they throw in the towel; they fought until the end. At no time did they abandon the principle of playing good football; there was no aimless long ball, no hoof the ball up. Mariners’ fans can be proud of this team. It is a team of true character.
Arnie had wanted to hold Guangzhou at bay; he had wanted at least to keep a clean sheet until half time. He might has well have tried to keep the Yangtze River in check during the flood season. When the brilliant Muriqui put Guangzhou ahead after only seven minutes Mat Ryan had already pulled off the first of his many heroic saves.
The Mariners patiently moved the ball around, they passed from right to left and through midfield but Guangzhou moved the ball far more quickly, rapier thrusts to rapid runners, exposing the Mariners time and again with lightning, technically perfect passing. Only sheer guts, a determination not to yield, and the genius of Mat Ryan kept the Mariners in the game.
Guangzhou had the chances while the Mariners fed on scraps. Duke caused problems with his feisty skilful aggression; McGlinchey matched Guangzhou for skill and ran past defenders, but all the Mariners had to show was a deflected shot wide from McGlinchey after good work from Duke. What slim hopes the Mariners had were dashed with a penalty, expertly converted by Conca, in the last minute before half-time.
The penalty summed up the difference in class and execution. Bernie Ibini, who we all think has a fair bit of pace, was a fraction too slow in his challenge, and was undone by the intelligence of Muriqui who played the chance perfectly. Bernie had a miserable game, with his pace nullified by quicker defenders, he had no tricks left in his showbag. It is not a criticism of this fine young man, just an observation of the difficulty he, like others on the night, had with the level of the opposition: a sobering thought for a young man with dreams of playing in Europe.
The Mariners did their best in the second half but their structure unravelled too easily. We normally see a very compact unit but they were pulled too far apart, alarming gaps were appearing between the lines up front to midfield and crucially to an exposed back four. Desperately they held out and did their best to take the game to the opponents. There were half chances and might-have-beens but it was Guangzhou who proved irresistible and Gao Lin underlined the superiority against the exposed Mat Ryan. Sadly for the gallant Mariners who kept going until the end, McBreen’s last minute consolation was ruled out for offside.
Mat Ryan was clearly the stand out; without his heroics this would have been a rout. McGlinchey showed himself the match of any Guangzhou player, Sainsbury was remarkably composed despite being occasionally overrun, and Duke was a constant menace while Ollie Bozanic staked a claim for a starting spot with his intelligent brief cameo.
It is a long time now until October, there will be changes to this team, but if they continue to learn and develop from experiences like this the Mariners will challenge for all honours and continue to give Coast fans much to be proud of.

yellowcake

Simply an example of how hard it is for a salary-capped league team to match one who is not. I actually hope Evergrande wins the thing.
I thought we gave a very decent account of ourselves over two legs, probaby 5-1 over 180 mins isn't a true reflection. So proud of the boys.

Still smiling, still cheerin'

Happy off-season people :)

sydmariner

Cry Me a River

No point in crying about it, no point in being angry, no point in being miserable. The Mariners were gallant, willing and disciplined; and completely outclassed. Move on and learn from it. This game illustrates what the A league, and the Mariners in particular, must aspire to, and what they can achieve.
The Mariners didn’t play badly; they simply were not good enough at this level, in this company. They would have beaten any other A League side comfortably. At no time did they throw in the towel; they fought until the end. At no time did they abandon the principle of playing good football; there was no aimless long ball, no hoof the ball up. Mariners’ fans can be proud of this team. It is a team of true character.
Arnie had wanted to hold Guangzhou at bay; he had wanted at least to keep a clean sheet until half time. He might has well have tried to keep the Yangtze River in check during the flood season. When the brilliant Muriqui put Guangzhou ahead after only seven minutes Mat Ryan had already pulled off the first of his many heroic saves.
The Mariners patiently moved the ball around, they passed from right to left and through midfield but Guangzhou moved the ball far more quickly, rapier thrusts to rapid runners, exposing the Mariners time and again with lightning, technically perfect passing. Only sheer guts, a determination not to yield, and the genius of Mat Ryan kept the Mariners in the game.
Guangzhou had the chances while the Mariners fed on scraps. Duke caused problems with his feisty skilful aggression; McGlinchey matched Guangzhou for skill and ran past defenders, but all the Mariners had to show was a deflected shot wide from McGlinchey after good work from Duke. What slim hopes the Mariners had were dashed with a penalty, expertly converted by Conca, in the last minute before half-time.
The penalty summed up the difference in class and execution. Bernie Ibini, who we all think has a fair bit of pace, was a fraction too slow in his challenge, and was undone by the intelligence of Muriqui who played the chance perfectly. Bernie had a miserable game, with his pace nullified by quicker defenders, he had no tricks left in his showbag. It is not a criticism of this fine young man, just an observation of the difficulty he, like others on the night, had with the level of the opposition: a sobering thought for a young man with dreams of playing in Europe.
The Mariners did their best in the second half but their structure unravelled too easily. We normally see a very compact unit but they were pulled too far apart, alarming gaps were appearing between the lines up front to midfield and crucially to an exposed back four. Desperately they held out and did their best to take the game to the opponents. There were half chances and might-have-beens but it was Guangzhou who proved irresistible and Gao Lin underlined the superiority against the exposed Mat Ryan. Sadly for the gallant Mariners who kept going until the end, McBreen’s last minute consolation was ruled out for offside.
Mat Ryan was clearly the stand out; without his heroics this would have been a rout. McGlinchey showed himself the match of any Guangzhou player, Sainsbury was remarkably composed despite being occasionally overrun, and Duke was a constant menace while Ollie Bozanic staked a claim for a starting spot with his intelligent brief cameo.
It is a long time now until October, there will be changes to this team, but if they continue to learn and develop from experiences like this the Mariners will challenge for all honours and continue to give Coast fans much to be proud of.

Cry Me a River

was mcbreens goal really offside or did the ref get it wrong as usual

Big Al

Bugger!

Great effort

Great Season

We are still the HAL CHAMPIONS!

Shows why A Leaguers can't play for the socceroos

nebakke

Hmm - I think the thing to remember for the Bernies of the world, is that very few players go to Europe - that young - and set the place alight... To me, it is much the same as the chatter about Amini and how he's "not even getting a starting spot in the second team"-yadayadayada... For him, Dortmund said, when they bought him, that they bought him for the talent, more-so than for the current skill-level and they are expecting to spend a couple of years developing him, before actually utilising him.
I thought Bernie gave a decent account of himself under difficult circumstances last night. The ball was obviously somewhat slower than they all though - there was a lot of stumbling in it in the first 20 minutes - Bernie was a victim to that as much as the rest of them. But while he struggled to get past the defence, I thought he put in a valiant effort and looked threatening at times. I think it'd be interesting to see how he develops over the years if/when he moves off.

That was just about the only disagreement I had with your post Roy ;)

nebakke

Bugger!
Shows why A Leaguers can't play for the socceroos

I think that's a bit harsh and narrow... Bearing in mind that we have the, constantly mentioned, salary cap... You have to remember that team football and international football are two very different animals when it comes to player options, experience and cohesion.
GE have a team that has been specifically put together from what they want and what was available and willing to travel from around the world. We had brazilians running circles around us in our defence, playing for a Chinese team for example.
In Internationals you chose the best available from your own country - the talent pool is much more limited and there is less room to find a group of players that gel. The fact that the sum of their group was better than ours, doesn't necessarily say much about the impact of each individual in a national team setup. Especially not as they are commonly paired with players from more skilled leagues than our own, who might bring out the best in them.

Besides, I believe that the prevailing view, currently, is that "Good Club Teams" > "Most International Teams" ;)

Pablo

Despite your loss in the ACL R16, I would like to offer my congratulations to CCM and all of its fans on a wonderful season of achievements.
You were too good in the HAL GF and have played some great football in the ACL.

We at WSW look forward to joining you next year in the ACL.

Obviously there is much we can learn from the success and experiences of CCM in this year's compeitition.

(also looking forward to travelling to Gosford on 12 October for another epic encounter between the two best club teams in Australia)

cheers

Forum Phoenix

Thanks Pablo. Very good of you. Looking forward to going to battle to represent Oz again alongside you guys next year. And yes, opening round should be a cracker.

Roy, great review. Thanks.

Roy Law

When I said miserable I was not criticising Bernie for his effort but it was an unhappy night when his trade mark moves that allow him to beat A League opponents were easily read by Guangzhou defenders. The same could be said of McBreen, often a focal point when he comes deep, he was dispossessed very easily. Guangzhou defenders were very quick and very astute. As I said it is a great learning curve for the Mariners - although reading the latest stories I have no idea who will be left come October!

Big Al

When I said miserable I was not criticising Bernie for his effort but it was an unhappy night when his trade mark moves that allow him to beat A League opponents were easily read by Guangzhou defenders. The same could be said of McBreen, often a focal point when he comes deep, he was dispossessed very easily. Guangzhou defenders were very quick and very astute. As I said it is a great learning curve for the Mariners - although reading the latest stories I have no idea who will be left come October!

Agree - While there foreign attackers are lethal I actually thought there defence was excellent last night. Every time we go to the last 3rd they had plenty of cover if not 2 sometimes 3 players attacking the guy controlling the ball (targeting our lack of on ball control) & forcing either a turnover or us to pass backwards (which we like to do - To much for my liking).

McBreen looked old & slow last night - Jetlagged maybe - He did loose the ball alot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami