• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

17/18 Other A-League Games

Big Al

Victory just got handed 3 pts by FFA stooges. Victory player controls the ball with both hands then punts it long to a possibly offside Barbarouses who finishes well. StoogeTEL don't even discuss either point until the Blatant handball is replayed 5 mins later out of the blue. Slater says...."he didn't handball it deliberately" and leaves it at that. Simon Hill is silent.
Foxtel coverage just gets worse and worse. The likely offside is not even shown.
Grill Kenny Lowe about loosing and being under pressure and nothing to golden Johnny

Big Al

The new midfielder for Nix looks alright two goals in two games. Nix coming for us unfortunately.

Jets also showing signs they can’t keep this early season form. We really should have beat them.

Big Al

Well after City flogging AU, I think our performance against them looks a lot better than it did at the time.
They looked good yesterday and AU are a good team.

What happened to the kid from City i came back to the tv and he was sucking the green whistle with everything he had and they didn’t replay it

Wombat

Kenny must be close to getting the bullet.
aloisi is clueless....so any extra weeks he gets is a bonus for the rest of us

pjennings

They looked good yesterday and AU are a good team.

What happened to the kid from City i came back to the tv and he was sucking the green whistle with everything he had and they didn’t replay it

Went for a header and came down and twisted his ankle. Suspected fibula fracture. Confirmed tonight that there is no break but extensive ligament damage - 6 -12 months out.

Last edited:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Bobo takes a dive. Gets a pen an a MV player gets sent. Adrian, already on a yellow, flying elbow to the head, should be a straight red but gets nothing.
Amazing how that benefited Sydney only.

Big Al

Bobo takes a dive. Gets a pen an a MV player gets sent. Adrian, already on a yellow, flying elbow to the head, should be a straight red but gets nothing.
Amazing how that benefited Sydney only.
He didn’t miss with that elbow but slater says it wasn’t a swinging elbow. Like that matters. It’s yellow every day of the week and the back angle you’d say red.

Ironically the yellow cards were 5-3 against Sydney but it’s the big decisions like Adrian where they are still protected.

Okon even mentioned last week the refs are now giving yellows to Sydney to even up those stats that everyone is talking about.
However two yellows for a Sydney player is still hard to do

Big Al

I know it's a week old, but here's a clear squirrel grip in the NIX-NJ match - https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/football/a-league/jet-cops-hectic-nut-clutch!661185

I can understand the ref and AR missing it. 4th probably should have seen it, but fine. VAR should have picked up on it of course - but nothing from the MRP???
MRP basically redundant now with VAR. Look at the Bobo excuse for that shin rake.
MRP just dish out the sentences now basically

Forum Phoenix

It boggles how something that should so clearly be able to reduce human error and thereby by any reasonable measure be a good thing, has instead been introduced in a way that it only empowers the scope and impact of human error instead. And so currently, is clearly a bad thing. Utterly depressing.

Last edited:

Big Al

It boggles how something that should so clearly be able to reduce human error and thereby by any reasonable measure be a good thing, had instead been introduced in a way that it only empowers the scope and impact of human error instead. And so currently, is clearly a bad thing. Utterly depressing.
Also it’s half baked technology. The offsides, the camera is not in line with the play. It’s from an angle that then uses mathematics to estimate the offside line. Sometimes it’s obvious from the grass cutting but it’s not 100%.
Linesmen have the worst job. Trying to pick when the run starts and the ball is kicked when they are so far apart is very difficult.

I like the idea of the linesmen just letting close ones go and if it’s a goal the VAR should bring justice.

The problem is we are just trying to re referee the game at the same time

It’s like when you are at work and have a job to do and that person who rubs you the wrong way starts trying to do it to prove themselves. It just annoys you and the job gets a half arsed result because you didn’t have full control

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The biggest problem I find with offside
Also it’s half baked technology. The offsides, the camera is not in line with the play. It’s from an angle that then uses mathematics to estimate the offside line. Sometimes it’s obvious from the grass cutting but it’s not 100%.
Linesmen have the worst job. Trying to pick when the run starts and the ball is kicked when they are so far apart is very difficult.

I like the idea of the linesmen just letting close ones go and if it’s a goal the VAR should bring justice.

The problem is we are just trying to re referee the game at the same time

It’s like when you are at work and have a job to do and that person who rubs you the wrong way starts trying to do it to prove themselves. It just annoys you and the job gets a half arsed result because you didn’t have full control

The biggest problem I find with offside isn't even what you highlighted. It's:-

1) Resolution. If there are a couple of inches in it, you simply can't tell from that camera angle with that resolution. Yes, often you CAN tell to that level of precision as an AR

2) The camera and digital line don't cope at all when you're trying to compare the torse of a striker leaning forwards against the feet of a defender. It's only handy for comparing feet - to - feet.

I do disagree with your conclusion about when it should be used. Bear in mind that a missed offside can still have a match changing impact even without leading directly to a goal. It can lead to a penalty. Or a corner that leads to a goal. Striker who is through is fouled and the defender is booked or sent off. Even if the ball goes out and there's a sustained attack that lasts for several phases. It still matters to get it right the first time.

Not going to be 100%, but it's a preferable solution to 'let the close ones go'.
Given the don't flag unless they're certain, then it also raises the question - precisely what do you think they should 'not' flag for? Are you saying the AR should stand there and think 'well, I'm 100% certain he's off, but I think he might be off by less than 6 inches, so I'll keep it down. Actually, maybe it is more than 6 inches, yeah, I'll pull him up'? I don't think your solution of 'don't flag the close ones' is as simple as you may think :)

VAR should be there when you truly can't tell or stuff it up completely. It shouldn't be taken into consideration when you're making the decision, IMO.

Big Al

The biggest problem I find with offside

The biggest problem I find with offside isn't even what you highlighted. It's:-

1) Resolution. If there are a couple of inches in it, you simply can't tell from that camera angle with that resolution. Yes, often you CAN tell to that level of precision as an AR

2) The camera and digital line don't cope at all when you're trying to compare the torse of a striker leaning forwards against the feet of a defender. It's only handy for comparing feet - to - feet.

I do disagree with your conclusion about when it should be used. Bear in mind that a missed offside can still have a match changing impact even without leading directly to a goal. It can lead to a penalty. Or a corner that leads to a goal. Striker who is through is fouled and the defender is booked or sent off. Even if the ball goes out and there's a sustained attack that lasts for several phases. It still matters to get it right the first time.

Not going to be 100%, but it's a preferable solution to 'let the close ones go'.
Given the don't flag unless they're certain, then it also raises the question - precisely what do you think they should 'not' flag for? Are you saying the AR should stand there and think 'well, I'm 100% certain he's off, but I think he might be off by less than 6 inches, so I'll keep it down. Actually, maybe it is more than 6 inches, yeah, I'll pull him up'? I don't think your solution of 'don't flag the close ones' is as simple as you may think :)

VAR should be there when you truly can't tell or stuff it up completely. It shouldn't be taken into consideration when you're making the decision, IMO.
I know we’ve disagreed on this before and yes you are right in can effect the play after, but I’m happy with that. To often AR’s are to strict an get shown up by the technology.
I’d prefer less than more.

In a goal situation the AR can use his microphone to say look i let that go as it was close as the play is being conducted. Then if it leads to a goal. The ref can rule it out after it goes in. Saying offside but VAR have a look. If AR was clearly wrong it’s a goal. If to close go with the AR’s original thought of offside.
Football needs to be more free flowing here IMO. I hate the constant offsides and yes that’s the players fault and they make it hard for AR’s.

As for how far. I want the player to be his whole body clear before flagging. Not half an arm or a leg etc

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb