• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

17/18 Other A-League Games

Wombat

But even in the pic you’re showing which is after Sorensen has already caught and carried it forward he’s still only a foot from it?

Anyway. You’re all wrong. He’s just misunderstood. Which I’m sure can at least partly be blamed on his accent.

Sorensen is retired FP. It was a disgusting challlenge. He originally went for the ball, realised he wasn't going to get it and decided to play the keeper. I think he is looking at 8 weeks.

Forum Phoenix

Sorensen is retired FP. It was a disgusting challlenge. He originally went for the ball, realised he wasn't going to get it and decided to play the keeper. I think he is looking at 8 weeks.

Thomas sorry.

Yeah I'm not defending it. I just haven't seen the bit where he decides to change and deliberately target the keeper.

Forum Phoenix

I think the point was that Roy is going for where the ball would have been had Thomas not come for it, caught it and carried it forward.

TBH - while it looks vile and is dangerous and reckless - I'm not convinced he meant to hurt Thomas in any way. That said - it is a red card and I love that it added to the bad night for the scum.

As for the VAR - we have had shit refereeing in the Grand Final before. We will have shit refereeing in the Grand Final in the future. The only difference this time is that we had video-assisted shit refereeing. The referee and AR also missed the offside.

At least when we got shafted by the supposedly unsighted Shields one of the AR saw Judas's handball - Shields just over-ruled him in spite of claiming he was unsighted.
Yeah that's how it looked to me. There's a fair case to be made that he had enough time to pull out but had decided he was committing come what may, that's pretty malicious, but without being inside Roy's head, I couldn't discern that it really was deliberate. Maybe that just makes him #skilfulthug
And yes I meant Thomas sorry PP.

Offsider

Yeah that's how it looked to me. There's a fair case to be made that he had enough time to pull out but had decided he was committing come what may, that's pretty malicious, but without being inside Roy's head, I couldn't discern that it really was deliberate. Maybe that just makes him #skilfulthug
And yes I meant Thomas sorry PP.

I don’t mean to defend him but he was in a good position to attack the ball. Normally he doesn’t shirk a heading opportunity but with the mouse under his eye from berisha’s elbow I can understand not wanting to use his face against the approaching thomas.

I think that the clash was accidental ...... he stuck his foot out to try and make contact with the ball ............ just desparate.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I thought Roy's looked deliberate to me. And he was clearly losing his cool.

The point though is that both Shields and the closet AR claim they were unsighted. Shields consulted the other AR who said it was a clear handball. Shields, in spite of being unsighted himself stood by his unsighted decision. He then proceeded to make sure that Danny was out for a long time by standing by his decision at Danny's hearings. According to Lawrie, months later he apologised to Lawrie and made his apologies, and never refereed again.
Thanks for reminding me. I'm going to go punch something now.

shield stating he got it wrong or not wouldn't have made a difference to Danny's suspension - he got less than the minimum as it was.

Wombat

I was, according to my team mates a "dirty player". I didn't set out to be but my team mates loved it. I'd chop the centre forward or winger down with a stupid Muscut style tackle early on and they would often be gunshy the rest of the match. To be honest alot of it was due to my lack of skill and bad coaching when i was a kid....."if you cant get the ball get the man".
Having said that and i've disgraced myself many time both here and the UK.....but i never ever deliberately kicked an opponent in the face. Paddy could have killed Thomas with that challenge...thats how bad it was.
The point i'm making is i played Football from 7yo until 47yo and i was taught alot of naughty stuff but I would NEVER EVER deliberately try to harm an opponent like that. I've also been payed back a few times and had to crawl of the pitch so i'm experienced in the "dark arts" of the game.
To me it was deliberate.

Wombat

Offsider. I dont expect you to like it. I wasnt a thug but i wasnt an Angel. The point I'm trying to make is i've done it and i've had it done to me and in my experience................Royo deliberately followed through.

Offsider

I understand your point ......... in your experience .......... you say it was deliberate. That is what I don’t like whether or not you want me to or not.

Do you not see that by your own admission it is a case of : the pot calling the kettle black ??? ............. I see your assessment of the incident biased.

I think o’donovan is a stupid self centred reckless prick, I would not let him anywhere near a football team until he learnt to control his stupid red card behaviour. Although he is reckless, stupid and dirty I don’t think anybody could be that dirty as to try and kick a goalkeeper in the face at that height. I think he wanted to meet the ball but favoured not leading with his damaged face and tried to use his foot to meet the ball. Careless, stupid, desperate ............. but not intentional to attack thomas’s head.

Wombat

I hear you but i've battled against many a thug. Some have deliberately tried to break my legs. Other have tried to elbow me in the face. Sometimes i've let it go other times i've punched on.
its nothing to do this kettle and black.................its an experienced person, who has dealt with people of roy's ilk.
He meant it...he will never admit it.....but he meant it.

Big Al

Agree @Offsider that it wasn’t deliberate but stupid desperation IMO with a little I don’t care I’m so desperate thrown in.

However your point about not using his head. First play as he ran back on, he jumped for a header.

I don’t believe the crazy Irishman was scared to use his head.

Probably caught between both. A foot may intimidate in the challenge but also think it just went wrong.

Wether it was or wasn’t deliberate doesn’t matter as the joy of him being sent off and having his shot saved was great to watch

Offsider

I hear you but i've battled against many a thug. Some have deliberately tried to break my legs. Other have tried to elbow me in the face. Sometimes i've let it go other times i've punched on.
its nothing to do this kettle and black.................its an experienced person, who has dealt with people of roy's ilk.
He meant it...he will never admit it.....but he meant it.

I don’t think you understand the pot black comment. You say you are of the same ilk as o’donovan ............ the pot and the kettle are both black from the fire. You say you and o’donovan are the same therefore you can ascertain his agenda. I don’t care how experienced you say you are I cannot accept that anybody would go in with a foot that high to kick a goalkeeper in the head .......... even an irishman.
When you say “he meant it “........... are you saying he meant to kick thomas in the head, or he meant to go for the ball with his foot high ???
If you look at the photoes you will see that o’donovan’s momentum is decreasing prior to the collision whereas thomas’s is increasing. Prior to the impact he actually tries to retract his outstretched leg indicated by him bending his knee as he succumbed to the forces of gravity.

I’ve never been an o’donovan fan and happy that he chose to play elsewhere. His offsides and suspended game time far outways his goal production.

Pass the popcorn please.

LFCMariners

The most bizaree thing about this dumpster fire of a season just gone is that (by its' conclusion) we also have SFC fans and a fair few Jest fans finally agreeing that finals in domestic football are rubbish!

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I cannot accept that anybody would go in with a foot that high to kick a goalkeeper in the head .......... even an irishman.
Given you're talking about a bloke who just turned around and headbutted somebody in the side of the head on the field, I don't believe there's much he's not capable of. He's certainly shown that he's more than capable of trying to cause serious harm.

As to whether or not it was deliberate? We've all expressed our opinions and all we're really doing is guessing, so I'm not trying to convince your otherwise - but everyone watching knew he was about to do something stupid. But any level of malice is certainly possible on the playing field. Don't forget you have Muscat who deliberately broke several player's legs.

Of course, when looking at Roy's, we're talking about 'no, it was just silly of him to lift his foot in a crowded area and he didn't mean it' to 'yeah, he was deliberate'. Well, somewhere in the middle there also tends to be the sort of tackle where you don't give a f*** if you get the ball, player or both, but you'll go in anyway.

Offsider

I enjoy “guessing” the situations that lend themselves to being able to read the body language. If it has a fault you have hit the nail on the head with your last comments which make a good definition for total desperation.:goodpost:...............

I expect wombat will rub my nose in that as well...... :)

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I saw that the MP for Newcastle is jumping up and down about the result...someone send him a copy of 08, probably wouldn’t stop him bitching.....also a mate in Newy was having a whinge to me, all I said to him was “you had 81 mins to change it” !..heard nothing since

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb