• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Welcome Paolo! Paul Okon is CCM's new coach

Big Al

Very happy with his demeanour on the sidelines.gets involved and doesn't take shit against us.

Team set up well just don't have the players

Paul should get a crack at his own team

Rowdy

I dont think Charlesworth could handle the wage pay-outs, you have to remember thst Josh Rose WANTED TO fckn leave & he STILL had the hide to put his hand in Mike's pocket (for what I was told was quite a considerable amount of coin.)

The players we need to cut and then spend even more to replace !! just isn't concievable let alone achievable.

CCM wont be 'First Home Buyers' anytime soon if we go that route. :cool:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Don't recall myself....Though I think having the lowest spend in the league is certainly having a detrimental impact on our performance.
So how do we negotiate this, having a low spend when we may still be lacking the finances to increase it?

JoyfulPenguin

Don't recall. Though I think having the lowest spend in the league is certainly having a detrimental impact on our performance.
So how do we negotiate this?
I think through season by season spending. Have lean years such as the last few while aiming for finals and building a team. Then spend the full cap (which is covered by the TV deal) when we have built a team and are in a position to challenge.

VicMariner

We need the COE to start making money and an improved TV deal and a CEO willing to spend.
We have to match budgets to be competitive from here on I think.

scottmac

Suspended
I said a while ago we wont see what he's capable of until next a league season or even the one after that. It's not like ange taking over at roar.
He needs the chance to build his team. Next year will be the start of that and the one after will be completely his team.

nebakke

A lot of our problems are not caused by minimum spend but by too much of that spend being wasted on players who were not worth the money (thanks Mossy).

I look forward to next season. Hopefully Paolo can keep the cream, let the chaff go at no cost and spend what is left wisely.

This! We've spent most of the last year, discussing how we don't have "a single player who would walk into any other HAL team - bar Mont, Fab and Caceres"... Funnily enough, we've also lost Austin, Fitzy, Caceres & Rose - all of whom have started after going across (I know Fitzy hasn't played this season, but the competition for spots in that particular team, is a bit of an anomally I think).

I honestly don't think the quality of the cattle in-and-off-itself, is as much of an issue as we seem to believe... I mentioned it in another post as well, but I suspect that it has more to do with how we're applying that cattle and - as you point out - where the money was spent. I'm still undecided about Necevski - I think he was excellent against Perff and less so against Sydney, but I have quite a bit of confidence in Posco and some hope for Faty, while I think we need some quality in midfield to try to lighten the load on our defensive line and get the ball away from them and into the front third a bit more.

Ancient Mariner

It's not like ange taking over at roar.
Hopefully it can be like Ange at Roar. When Ange initially came to Roar for part season he was not successful, he had to clear a lot of dead wood. It was not until the first full season with who he decided to keep and who he signed that success came.

scottmac

Suspended
Hopefully it can be like Ange at Roar. When Ange initially came to Roar for part season he was not successful, he had to clear a lot of dead wood. It was not until the first full season with who he decided to keep and who he signed that success came.
We still will be hampered by our buying ability whereas ange brought in 2 of the best the aleague has seen. We just won't be able to yet or ever.

Gratis

My thoughts also. I like a lot of the players but then, well, look at the results. 7 goals let in in the first 2 games too

localpom

My thoughts also. I like a lot of the players but then, well, look at the results. 7 goals let in in the first 2 games too
The quality has been pretty good though. I think we have played 2 of the best 3 sides away so far. We obviously need a CB, a replacement for Adelson and a AM to make us more competitive. I think the gap between the top 2 or 3 sides in the league and the rest is pretty big this season. Hopefully we can get a win this weekend against a Brisbane side that will be down on confidence, and a win, loss and draw from the first 3 games will be seen as a reasonable improvement.

bikinigirl

Isn't an open chequebook what sent the club to near bankruptcy back in 2012/13?

. you may be in a better position to comment than most ... but I don't think we have ever had an 'open cheque book' philosophy

. i think the cap spend was carefully managed (just think back to all our marquee signings) ... it was the overall club financials that weren't well managed (hoping for a big payback maybe?). no surprise when we didn't have a designated financial controller ... and a large part of the over-spend was probably the coach's salary

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

A lot of our problems are not caused by minimum spend but by too much of that spend being wasted on players who were not worth the money (thanks Mossy).

I look forward to next season. Hopefully Paolo can keep the cream, let the chaff go at no cost and spend what is left wisely.

we do have the lowest spend by far though....

I figure with the CoE part of our long term strategy is to keep developing young local talent, sign them on cheap, have them turn into guns and keep selling them. Which is fine if you have a couple of more experienced top players to balance it out. Can keep costs down. Sound about right?

Forum Phoenix

The thing about the expenditure though is it's so linked to recruiting - which is so linked to networks and man power. I feel like increasing dollar spend on a top notch scouting program would ultimately pay more dividends pound for pound than increasing our overall squad spend by a few hundred K. But both would be ideal though obviously.

I think this is what we lost after we lost Lawrie - he and Fergie and Crawley knew the leagues and players and had connections and used them really effectively. They money balled the shit out of us. GA had networks and a cheque book - we won the league - Walmsley and Moss did not have networks or a cheque book - they recruited poorly and we became the least competitive side in the HAL.

There is hope under Okon, besides looking like a very decent coach so far, he definitely has better networks, and the financial situation is improving.

pjennings

For this year I would be targetting some loan moves in January.

I've looked around at Australian CB and there is not much that excites. However, Curtis Good is coming back from injury and wants a loan move in January. One of the CBs that Ange brought in that got injured against Ecuador. If he is fit come January a loan move may suit him and us - hopefully Ange can put a good word in about Paolo.

As for CAM - this is a position that costs money - I suspect that we won't get a true one until the new media deal is done. If the FFA have lifted the age ban on young Everton players and we have a VISA spot come January young Kieran Dowell may be worth a look.

At the end of the season Paolo will know who he wants to keep and who he wants to let go. There are 18 players off contract come the end of the season. By the beginning of January I would think that Paolo would have offered extensions to those he wants to keep.

Those off contract are the end of the season are Necesvski, Izzo, Galloway, Neill, McDonald, Faty, Poscoliero, Roux, Adelson, Montgomery, Rose, Tavares, Fletcher, O'Donovan, Bingham, Ferriera and Buhagiar.

Whatever, happens between now and next season, this time next year we will have a completely different team that Paolo can call his own.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred