• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Welcome Paolo! Paul Okon is CCM's new coach

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Well, Mrs Recky took one look at Paulo and said and I quote " At least this boss is a bit of a spunk"...her criteria is met apparently
:)

Forum Phoenix

I think a 4–4–2 is pretty unlikely. 4–4–1–1 more likely, but given national curriculum, and looking at our squads key strengths, I suspect Powell as a false nine as opposed to a 10 in a 4-3-1-2 or in a 4–2–3–1 might be the go.

A 4–2–3–1 seems pretty hard to ignore to me.
Ivan
Roux, Posc, Faty, Neil
Monty, Tav,
Fab, Powell, Pain
Roy
I worry about Fab pressing, but he's a good athlete, so we'll see.

JoyfulPenguin

I think a 4–4–2 is pretty unlikely. 4–4–1–1 more likely, but given national curriculum, and looking at our squads key strengths, I suspect Powell as a false nine as opposed to a 10 in a 4-3-1-2 or in a 4–2–3–1 might be the go.

Ivan
Roux, Posc, Faty, Neil
Monty, Tav,
Fab, Powell, Pain
Roy
I don't think we will be competitive if Fab starts, unless he can be convinced to press and track. His offensive qualities don't outweigh our need for a cohesive defensive side and he can offer plenty off the bench. Personally I would start Appiah who worked tirelessly defensively against the Jets.

Reactions: adz

localpom

Ivan
Roux, Posc, Faty, Neil
Monty, Tav,
Fab, Powell, Pain
Roy
That's our best side as it stands IMO. If we recruit a new CB then that could change but I like a Posco/Faty pairing. We also have more power off the bench this season.

Gratis

http://outside90.com/paul-okon-hutchinson-decision-not-easy/
New Central Coast Mariners coach Paul Okon has wasted little time in illustrating which direction he wants to take the side for the 2016-17 A-League season.
Speaking exclusively on Friday’s edition of the
Daily Football Show , Okon claimed that the recent decision to part ways with Gosford Park legend John Hutchinson was necessary to put the club back on track.
“It’s a real sensitive issue,” said Okon.
“Hutchy (John Hutchinson) is a club legend, he is an A-League legend…there aren’t too many players who have played their whole career with one A-League club.
“But obviously coming in I wanted to take the club in a different direction.
“It wasn’t easy…but I felt it was the right thing moving forward for the club.”
Only appointed to the role at the start of the week, the ex-Socceroo says that a shortened five-week preseason with the squad does not worry him.
“It doesn’t sound long, but from where I’m coming from working with national teams, I work with a player for two or three days and then they are gone,”
“I’m not afraid of that…it certainly won’t be an excuse come round one.
“We’re not going to waste one minute on the training field.”
Having played all over the world during his career Okon has worked with some of football’s greatest coaching names, yet at Central Coast hopes to most reflect the style of the man who guided him at Leeds United in the early 2000s.
“The one that stands out the most for me would have to be Terry Venables, he was probably the most complete on and off the field,” said the 44-year-old.
“As a coach – training, tactics – he was first class…but also off the field, his management of the players, staff and everyone involved with the club was first class.
“That’s something at the Mariners I hope to emulate a bit…everyone is a tight-knight group, we don’t have any stars and everyone needs the support of eachother.
“It’s something that really attracted me to the club.”

Rowdy

@sydmariner tagging this as 'bad spelling'... I just... I literally can't even right now.

Drink Pete !
Screenshot_2016-09-03-00-24-18-1_zpsh2o50yro.png

Just crack another and watch 'Bad Words' on Netflix.

Big Al

Watched the Fox Sports News interview this morning.

PO is no ice to Eskimo type. Think he was trying to be as guarded as possible and certainly not talking bullshit about unrealistic goals.

They hit him with the Hutch question and owned it and basically said the new guy was from a big club and thought he had better experience.

Certainly is not the TW or Mossy class as a public speaker.

I predict a far bit of upheaval to come and will be interesting to see who cuts the mustard and who gets the chop.

Gratis

We caught up with Paul Okon after the team’s training session at the Australian Institute of Sport in the nation’s capital ahead of tonight’s pre-season fixture against the ACT’s best players.
The training session was in preparation for Okon’s first match that will see his side play a double header against Canberra’s best players tonight night at Woden Enclosed.

Indeed, the match will play a crucial role in the Mariners’ pre-season but it will also provide the Hyundai A-League club with a perfect opportunity to identify players from Canberra who will earn the opportunity to spend a week on trial with the Central Coast Mariners.

Okon spoke about the importance of taking the team into a camp environment during pre-season and previewed Tuesday night’s fixture.

“The boys trained well on Monday, it was a great trip down and it’s good to galvanise the group to build some team spirit,” Okon said.

“Getting the team into camp is very important, the players bond and certainly for the new boys to interact and feel as comfortable as possible will hopefully translate to players performing at a better level.

“During the matches [on Tuesday night] we are looking to build on our combinations which we’ve done in the five sessions already and gain a better understanding of what we need to work on.

“We’re excited for Tuesday night, it’s a friendly game but for me as a player and now as a coach I want to win even a game of foot tennis, the result is not our focus but it’s important because we want to breed a winning culture.

Okon also spoke about assessing the local talent during the club’s match in Canberra.

“We’ve seen in the past, the last player to come out of Canberra is Tomi Rogic and there’s no need for me to talk him up,” Okon said. “It’s a great opportunity for the local players here to play against the Mariners and see where they are in terms of the level.

“Hopefully we can play our part in putting on a good spectacle,” Okon said.

With Canberra’s GIO Stadium set to host two Central Coast Mariners’ home games this Hyundai A-League season, the Mariners are building on their strong relationship with the ACT’s football governing body and the collaborative talent pathway is the next big step.

http://www.ccmariners.com.au/articl...kt9pzxv9p7lk18z8x4jqn9ivh#h8Qw3xicYlI0W4PK.99

Holy

We caught up with Paul Okon after the team’s training session at the Australian Institute of Sport in the nation’s capital ahead of tonight’s pre-season fixture against the ACT’s best players.
The training session was in preparation for Okon’s first match that will see his side play a double header against Canberra’s best players tonight night at Woden Enclosed.

Indeed, the match will play a crucial role in the Mariners’ pre-season but it will also provide the Hyundai A-League club with a perfect opportunity to identify players from Canberra who will earn the opportunity to spend a week on trial with the Central Coast Mariners.

Okon spoke about the importance of taking the team into a camp environment during pre-season and previewed Tuesday night’s fixture.

“The boys trained well on Monday, it was a great trip down and it’s good to galvanise the group to build some team spirit,” Okon said.

“Getting the team into camp is very important, the players bond and certainly for the new boys to interact and feel as comfortable as possible will hopefully translate to players performing at a better level.

“During the matches [on Tuesday night] we are looking to build on our combinations which we’ve done in the five sessions already and gain a better understanding of what we need to work on.

“We’re excited for Tuesday night, it’s a friendly game but for me as a player and now as a coach I want to win even a game of foot tennis, the result is not our focus but it’s important because we want to breed a winning culture.

Okon also spoke about assessing the local talent during the club’s match in Canberra.

“We’ve seen in the past, the last player to come out of Canberra is Tomi Rogic and there’s no need for me to talk him up,” Okon said. “It’s a great opportunity for the local players here to play against the Mariners and see where they are in terms of the level.

“Hopefully we can play our part in putting on a good spectacle,” Okon said.

With Canberra’s GIO Stadium set to host two Central Coast Mariners’ home games this Hyundai A-League season, the Mariners are building on their strong relationship with the ACT’s football governing body and the collaborative talent pathway is the next big step.

http://www.ccmariners.com.au/articl...kt9pzxv9p7lk18z8x4jqn9ivh#h8Qw3xicYlI0W4PK.99

Gee, I like his winning mentality, this was the attitude TW should of taken into the GG game.

Tevor

Totally agree, his is going about everything with a very positive and professional manner which was missing in spades over the last two seasons.

I'm trying not to get too excited but every day that passes I feel more confident we are at least going to be competitive this season and actually have some tactics and vision for the future.

style_cafe

The appointment of Okon heralds a new chapter in the clubs history.
It came as a surprise to most people, me included.
Okon was a very late starter in the race for the job that had most experts pushing names forward.
The fact that the negotiations were almost complete before ATOMIC spilt the beans is a credit to Shaun.

Whilst Okon is a novice at A-League level I`m quietly confident he`ll do a good job.
His 28 caps for the Socceroos doesn`t tell the true story of his quality as a player, as he was injury plagued for most of his career.
However, the fact that he kept coming back & working hard to get on the pitch is what will ultimately define him as a coach.

It may take him a couple of seasons to find his feet, but he has already stamped his authority with the departure of Hutcho.
This is a major step & a very brave move for a coach in his debut season, as it shows his determination to succeed under his terms.

I wish him the best of luck in his new role & with the benefit of hindsight, wonder how different things would be if he had taken the job 2 seasons ago with the roster we had then.:popcorn:

Gratis

Mariners recruit hails Okon influence
Thursday, 15 September 2016
Staff writer
Central Coast Mariners forward Blake Powell says there has been a big jump in intensity at training under new coach Paul Okon as he prepares to face former club Wellington Phoenix this weekend.
With the Hyundai A-League season just three weeks away, the Mariners are keen to keep building on combinations under their new boss against the Nix at Knox Grammar on Saturday.
While the Mariners had their scheduled friendly against Brisbane Roar last weekend washed out, the Phoenix made a huge statement with a 4-1 drubbing of Melbourne City in Townsville.
For Powell – along with fellow Mariner Kwabena Appiah – it’s a first chance to get one over the club they played at in 2015/16. And he’s happy to pass on any information he can to help his side.
“I’m excited. It will be good to see all the guys again and I’m looking forward to catching up with them. Every soccer player would like bragging rights [against their former club],” Powell admitted to reporters on Thursday.
“But the main thing for me is to do my job well, if I do that I can hopefully set up other players and they can finish the job off.
Powell has been one of the Mariners most consistent performers in pre-season so far and says he’s relishing the no.10 role he’s being deployed in under Okon.
“It’s about me getting on that half turn and facing forward and playing those balls in for Connor Pain and Roy [O’Donovan] to go on and finish,” the 25-year-old said.
“We talk every day at training to try and familiarise ourselves with each other and different runs. It’s coming along well.
“I’ve seen a big improvement in the team since Paul’s come in. We’re training at a higher intensity which means our fitness is getting up there as well so we can compete,” Powell added on Okon.
“We have the talent in the team as well, so we can test ourselves against any team in the A-League.”
For Appiah, he spent 18 months in Wellington but had little opportunity in the first team, with most of his 16 appearances coming off the bench.
But he struck up a good friendship with Phoenix’s Dutchman Roly Bonevacia and he expects the banter to be flying between the pair on Saturday.
“There’s always banter with that guy,” Appiah said with a smile.
“He’s doesn’t take things in life too seriously, he just goes with it.
“It will be good to play against him, he’s a good person and he helped me a lot in my time in Wellington when I wasn’t too happy.”
The livewire winger is hoping for a fresh start in Gosford after stints at the Wanderers and Phoenix, and has found the net a couple of times during pre-season.
But it’s transferring that form into the Hyundai A-League which Appiah really wants, yet to find the back of the net in more than 40 appearances dating back to his debut in 2012.
“I’m very, very hungry. I’m going ballistic…I need to break that A-League duck,” Appiah said.
“I’ve got confidence building up from scoring goals [in pre-season] and leading into the season, given the right opportunity if I do score it will open the floodgates.”
http://www.a-league.com.au/article/...ral-coast-mariners/1d22g4f9sr9x51c9qxpso5dmtq

Forum Phoenix

Well that answers the number 10 v false 9 question.

Glad intensity has picked up. Hope they are clicking and confidence starts to brew - though I think it will atke several strong performances in the HAL to really feel on track and grow.

JoyfulPenguin

Agree they did not look fit last year at all and would always fade at crucial moments.
For me that was the most disappointing thing about last year. For us to be able to compete we need everyone in tip top condition and so many didn't seem to be. I get that quite a few players came in with the season underway but even coming off the bench a lot of players seemed to struggle with fitness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred