• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Welcome Paolo! Paul Okon is CCM's new coach

Timmah

http://www.ccmariners.com.au/articl...okon-as-head-coach/1dw9r7dd42ny713k7rhf5w724x

Monday, 29 August 2016 -
@CCMariners
The Central Coast Mariners are excited to inform its Members, fans and the media that Paul Okon has been appointed the club’s Head Coach ahead of Hyundai A-League season 12.

Affectionately known as ‘Paolo’, Okon has signed a two-year-agreement with the Yellow & Navy and will run his first training session with the Mariners on Tuesday at the Central Coast Mariners Centre of Excellence.

As a player, Okon experienced a decorated career throughout Europe and the U.K. with the likes of Leeds United, Club Brugge and Middlesbrough along with his 28 caps as a Socceroo before being inducted into the Football Federation Australia Hall of Fame in 2009.

As a coach, 44-year-old Okon has been at the forefront of youth development for the past four years as the Australian under-20s Head Coach in a period that has seen 11 of his players go on to make their senior Socceroos debuts.

Prior to his most recent role as the Australian under-20s Head Coach, in 2008 Okon served as an assistant coach to Miron Bleiberg at Gold Coast United in the Hyundai A-League.

Central Coast Mariners Executive Vice Chairman, Peter Storrie credited Okon who positioned himself as the most impressive candidate during the recruitment process.

“In Paul we have an outstanding candidate that covers all areas for us,” Storrie said. “His extensive knowledge of young players across the country, understanding of the Hyundai A-League and understanding of the Central Coast Mariners were crucial decision making factors.

“Paul is dedicated to fan engagement and installing a brand of exciting football that will bring more fans to Central Coast Stadium, he also comes highly regarded from Ange Postecoglou who we approached for advice towards the final stages of the interview process.

“The club had over 60 first class applicants from around the world which is a testament to the draw power of the Hyundai A-League,” Storrie said. “The process allowed us to look at one of the club’s most important policies – giving youth a chance, which Paul fits perfectly.

“Harry Redknapp also played an important role in the recruitment process and agreed with our final decision to appoint an Australian coach compared to the raft of overseas candidates who applied for the position,” Storrie said.

Okon spoke about his determination to excite the Central Coast Mariners supporters and what he brings to the table as the club’s new Head Coach.

“We want to give our supporters, the people who have been loyal to this club a reason to keep coming back to Central Coast Stadium and we want to give new people a reason to come and watch this team play football,” Okon said.

“After a disappointing season we want to grow our supporter base and the only way we can do that is by playing a brand of football that’s going to excite people and get people talking about our club again.

“I feel very excited and can’t wait to get started,” Okon said. “Hopefully I can bring something to the club and get the Central Coast Mariners back to where we all want them to be and that’s winning football games.

“One thing that I’ve learnt to accept and do my best with at a national team level has been preparing players with limited time so it’s not new to me at all, it’s a part of what I’ve been doing for four and a half years.

“Any coach will tell you that they don’t have enough time but I’m happy with five weeks and confident that the type of football I want to play, I will be able to get across before round one.

“Local knowledge of the Hyundai A-League, its challenges and its players is probably one of the most important things that you need to have so I think that will work to our advantage and I’ve been watching a lot of football [the past four years especially] so I know what’s going to work and where we can excel.

“The Mariners have been one of the most successful clubs in the history of the Hyundai A-League, the last two seasons have been very challenging for the club but the opportunity to work with a club that has a really patriotic following is really exciting, I want to make Central Coast Stadium a difficult place to come and play football again.

“The biggest enjoyment I’ve had over the past four and a half years is seeing young players develop and this is something I plan to do at the Mariners.

okon_16bgjkikyae3m19s1f9yf96ah0.jpg

Okon is confident that he will be able to settle in quickly at the Central Coast Mariners Centre of Excellence.

“As long as we’ve got footballs, cones, poles and some bibs that’s all I need to get started,” Okon said.

“I’m quite confident that the Mariners have everything in place, we are lucky to be one of the only Hyundai A-League clubs to have its own home and facilities, it’s something that will help me settle in very quickly.

As part of the interview process, the Central Coast Mariners met with Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Ange Postecoglou to discuss the type of coach that would suit the strategy and culture of the Mariners.

Postecoglou welcomed the appointment of Okon and spoke about the importance of developing good young coaches in the Hyundai A-League.

“I’m not only a big believer in Australian players but also Australian coaches and it is important that as we grow as a football nation that we give opportunity to young coaches in the Hyundai A-League and I applaud Central Coast for considering a few young Australian coaches for the role,” Postecoglou said.

“Paul is a good young coach who has spent time in the National Team system and deserves a chance to grow as a coach in the Hyundai A-League.

“He is one of numerous young coaches in Australia, many of whom are finding their way in the various NPL competitions, that we should be encouraging because the future of football in this country is not only linked to the development of young players but also young coaches,” Postecoglou said.

Pirate Pete

Well after all the rumours over the last few weeks, it's not who I expected.
I'm willing to see how he goes though.

I wonder how much if any the input the FFA had with this?

Luca Brasi

The media release outlines all the positives Okon brings.
In terms of negatives, he has never coached at senior level and so you have to question his experience.
Coaches all have the specific qualifications so it is what he bring in terms of man management that most concerns me most.
How will he deal with senior players like Tav and Faty if things turned pear shaped in the dressing room?
That photo of him smiling in the media release is about the most animated I have ever seen him.
Wonder if MC will let him spend $100k post Rosey leaving?
Hoping for a much better 2016/17, good luck Paolo! COYY!

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Very positive article and the type of article we need around this.
To echo Luca - I'm concerned at the lack of senior coaching experience. Very concerned. I'm surprised they went for somebody without that coaching experience, especially given what's happened with the last 2 coaches. Seems a risky move and I question how wise that is.
Hopefully he'll nail it though - it does happen sometimes, but I'm a little worried.

Still excited at the same time, and keen to see what he brings to the team, and I wish him all the best. Wouldn't be the first coach to do a great job with no seniors experience - and as we've seen, seniors experience doesn't necessarily mean you'll do a great job (and perhaps having the fresh mind will help him remain adaptable?)

Last edited:

Atomic

Good luck Paolo!
I'm approaching this appointment with a good deal of optimism. My only concern is the mantra that is already being wheeled out... "exciting brand of football". Please... lets play a brand of football with substance. Play a brand of football that is capable of being delivered by the quality of footballer that is available to us. I just hope Paolo has enough intestinal fortitude to stand up to the likes of Storrie and Charlesworth.

Tevor

Nice to see you on the blog Paolo, good first impression. All the best for the season and bring it on!
;)

Last edited:

true believer

I think the right guy.
Played pro at the highest level so . He can
Talk about anything in football.
I hope he gets us into the finals so i can
Pan the fox crew where ever i can .

Come on you yellow and blue

dibo

So, to tin tacks.

[this is going to be dismissed as sycophancy or spin or whatever, similar, let me state right off the bat that IDGAF]

Okon now has the difficult task of getting a handle on the squad and getting everything set in the 40 days before our round one game away to Perth.

For perspective, preseason has gone for 70 days already (i.e. that's since their first session back - that'll be 182 days from the R27 game that ended our 2015/16 season).

Since then, we've signed the following players to our squad:
Jacques Faty
Mickael Tavares
Jake Adelson
Adam Berry (he was signed to his first professional deal under Walmsley in May and then extended last week without a head coach in place)
Ivan Necevski
Connor Pain
Blake Powell
Kwabena Appiah-Kubi

Whether Okon rates them or not, we've had a coach sign all these guys and then get the axe.

Every other coach has had a full off-season and a chance to shape their squad.

Okon gets the last third of it, with a third of his squad having been signed this off-season by the guy he replaces, and with next to no chance of making changes.

He's got very little room to move and very little time to establish his style of play and his structure.

He's a brave man!

I'll say it straight up - I don't expect us to win many games at all in the first half of the season. I also won't be surprised if there's a bit of a clean-out in January, as suddenly certain players who've been cast aside find that they'd love to take up the opportunity to play for the club in Malaysia or Singapore that they've supported since they were a boy.

I'm not writing the season off - I think we've got enough to work with to make some waves this year, and if you want to hope against hope, the highest points total that has missed the finals in a 10-team season is 36*, and the lowest total that has made the finals is 32. You never know...

* Discounting Perth on 50, but they were dodgying their salary cap, and I'm pretty sure we're not doing that.

soccer mad

Welcome Poalo he's appointment ticks a lot of boxes I know inexperienced at senior level is a concern but I'm glad we stayed local ,he has been given a great platform to forward his career I hope he succeeds with us and lets all talking be done on the pitch.

Tevor

Agree dibo, I'm pretty sure we are going to do better with Paolo this year than if we still had TW. Nice bloke but no tactical ability at all and it showed in spades last year. Will be very interested to see the run on team for Rd1 and who Paolo thinks deserves a start.

soccer mad

So, to tin tacks.

[this is going to be dismissed as sycophancy or spin or whatever, similar, let me state right off the bat that IDGAF]

Okon now has the difficult task of getting a handle on the squad and getting everything set in the 40 days before our round one game away to Perth.

For perspective, preseason has gone for 70 days already (i.e. that's since their first session back - that'll be 182 days from the R27 game that ended our 2015/16 season).

Since then, we've signed the following players to our squad:
Jacques Faty
Mickael Tavares
Jake Adelson
Adam Berry (he was signed to his first professional deal under Walmsley in May and then extended last week without a head coach in place)
Ivan Necevski
Connor Pain
Blake Powell
Kwabena Appiah-Kubi

Whether Okon rates them or not, we've had a coach sign all these guys and then get the axe.

Every other coach has had a full off-season and a chance to shape their squad.

Okon gets the last third of it, with a third of his squad having been signed this off-season by the guy he replaces, and with next to no chance of making changes.

He's got very little room to move and very little time to establish his style of play and his structure.

He's a brave man!

I'll say it straight up - I don't expect us to win many games at all in the first half of the season. I also won't be surprised if there's a bit of a clean-out in January, as suddenly certain players who've been cast aside find that they'd love to take up the opportunity to play for the club in Malaysia or Singapore that they've supported since they were a boy.

I'm not writing the season off - I think we've got enough to work with to make some waves this year, and if you want to hope against hope, the highest points total that has missed the finals in a 10-team season is 36*, and the lowest total that has made the finals is 32. You never know...

* Discounting Perth on 50, but they were dodgying their salary cap, and I'm pretty sure we're not doing that.
Hey Dibo I agree patients will be required here for at least half season just love to see us play some good football.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Well. Like I said, dunno much about his coaching style BUT Ange rates him, so I'll give him a go...welcome to the Coast Paulo

Capt. Awesome

If you listen to the full interview he says he wants to play the same style as the current Socceroos. He believes in Ange's current methods and formations.

The question I put to all you football heads is do we have the squad that can implement the Socceroos style?

Rowdy

Nice to see you on the blog Paolo, good first impression. All the best for the season and bring it on!
;)

Just a heads up Tev, it's NOT Okon.

Our 'Paolo', joined this forum back in 2008 (click his username) and despite his profile page stating he's an elderly '89 yo', he's actually a cheeky 25'ish yo.

Paolo might be time to go back to 'Keensy', hey ? :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred