• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Welcome Paolo! Paul Okon is CCM's new coach

Big Al

Because SFC haven't offered a contract or entered into discussion as far as is public knowledge, but MC have already enquired as JVS is rumoured to be heading back o/s after the season. So if not SFC it could be City looking.

Arnie may feel disrespected by not being given an upgrade but the start to the season should get them moving on it
A League confidential as well for MC enquiry

dibo

Got an actual source on SFC not offering a contract in Arnie saying it directly. For the MC link, rather than relying on A-League Confidential, I'll believe it if I see it.

Big Al

Extension time. Add another year please.

Making last years muppets look like they can not only handle this can can do a good job.

Don't be cheap keep this man.

His pregame song sucks and puts you to sleep but I'll deal with that to watch the team play like that.

Galloway has been an awesome pick up.

Tevor

Extension time. Add another year please.

Making last years muppets look like they can not only handle this can can do a good job.

Don't be cheap keep this man.

His pregame song sucks and puts you to sleep but I'll deal with that to watch the team play like that.

Galloway has been an awesome pick up.

I would back that, so many of our players have improved in 8 weeks it is such a contrast to the last few seasons. Clearly the youth policy is acceptable as long as you have a decent coaching structure to develop them as Okon is proving in spades. All of a sudden the young Mariners are not easy beats. Doubt I would still be a supporter if TW was still in charge and I reckon we would be lucky to have 2 points. The longer we can keep Okon the better.

Big Al

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/12/01/how-okon-restored-mariners-self-belief
Mariners coach Paul Okon just one training session to realise that the stiffest challenge he faced in his new job was to lift the spirit of a gifted but deeply demoralised squad.

Pilip_Micallef.jpg

By
Philip Micallef

1 DEC 2016 - 11:28 AM UPDATED YESTERDAY 11:28 AM
Okon was named head coach in August after Tony Walmsley's Mariners crashed out of the 2016 FFA Cup when they lost 2-1 to Victorian part-timers Green Gully in the Round of 32.

It was the first club appointment for Okon, 44, who served for several years as Australia's Olympic and Under-20 teams.

"We (the Under-20s) actually played the Mariners in a training game two weeks before I got the job," former Socceroos midfielder Okon said.

gettyimages-616267532.jpg

Okon pleased with clean sheet in Mariners win
Paul Okon took a huge step in his A-League baptism of fire as a rookie coach after ending Central Coast Mariners' unwanted 36 straight games without a clean sheet with a 2-0 win over Perth Glory.

"But when I got the call and took on the job with the club I found a group of players with little or no confidence.

"With the Mariners finishing bottom of the league last season and the team already out of this year's cup, morale was low.

"I knew there and then that my first job would be to rebuild the players' confidence and belief.

"If you don't believe in what you're doing or in what you can achieve, that's going to make things very hard to move forward.

"I did not find that too difficult. We spoke about things clearly and everyone understood what sort of football I wanted the team to play.

"The mental part was my biggest challenge ... getting things right on the training field then doing it again in the matches.

"The confidence is slowly returning and everyone can see that we are improving in games.

"It has been a gradual improvement and there was never a moment in which I said to myself that we're struggling to achieve what I want."

The Mariners, who scored an impressive 2-0 win over Perth Glory last week, entertain Western Sydney Wanderers on Saturday.

In their Round four clash this season, the Mariners sprang a mini-surprise by holding the Wanderers to a 1-1 draw.

But what really surprised many fans was Okon's appraisal of Central Coast's 4-0 defeat at the hands of Sydney FC two rounds earlier.

gettyimages-613297124.jpg

Okon believes Mariners played better than Sydney FC
Coach Paul Okon insists Central Coast dominated Sydney FC, adamant individual errors were the reason their 4-0 pummelling was not a victory.

Okon's claim that the Mariners were the better team on the day raised many eyebrows and prompted pundits to suggest that he acted that way to publicly support his players.

"I still stand by those comments and I will always back my players regardless, anyway," Okon said.

"There are two ways to look at a football match: from a technical and spectator's point of view.

"We were the away team and Sydney were just sitting back and waiting because of the way we approached the game.

"They profited from the mistakes that we made and we had opportunities to score goals that we created.

"I repeat, we were the better team but unfortunately mistakes cost us and we ended up losing the game."

The Mariners however showed glimpses of their offensive potential in going down so heavily at Allianz Stadium.

Wingers such as Fabio Ferreira and Connor Pain have become among the league's most dangerous forwards and Okon said he would be foolish not to try to maximise their skills.

"We have four good wingers with a lot of speed," he said.

"It certainly is part of our game (to use our wingers). They are major weapons and I would be crazy not to try to make the best use of them but we are a lot more than having fast wingers.

"It's not just a question of getting the ball to them as quickly as possible. It's got to be done through good build-up play but once we get the ball into those areas ... well, that's what wingers are for and that's how we can hurt the opposition.

"We want to be consistent and show a real desire to win every week and I'm confident that with the right mentality we will win more games than we lose.

"At the end of the season we'll assess our season and hopefully our supporters will be proud of their team."

The Mariners have controversially taken some of their home games to Canberra in the last few seasons in a bid to widen their support base.

gettyimages-622598268.jpg

Mariners to continue playing home matches away from Gosford
Defiant Central Coast boss Mike Charlesworth remains committed to taking home games to Canberra and also North Sydney, despite on-going criticism from fans agitated by what they see as a misguided bid to build the club's supporter base.

It is a move that has not gone down very well with many fans.

So what does Okon think about this situation? Is it having a destabilising effect on the team?

"It is not something that I have given too much thought to," he said.

"All I will say is we cannot bring this as an excuse for our poor performance (2-0 defeat) against Wellington in Canberra.

"We have shown this season that we can get results away from home. We beat Adelaide and drew with Perth and the Wanderers.

"So playing two home games away from Gosford should not affect us too much."

midfielder

Nux now also looking for a new coach to add to SFC, MC and the two new sides...

Time to sign Paul for a couple of seasons..

dibo

Two new sides will be the 2018/19 season, and there's no confirmation on either SFC or MCFC moving their coaches on.

midfielder

Got an actual source on SFC not offering a contract in Arnie saying it directly. For the MC link, rather than relying on A-League Confidential, I'll believe it if I see it.

The Arnold contract twas a media report roughly 4 to 7 weeks ago saying his old club in Holland want him as their new coach... he was non committal but many seem to assume he would take a European coaching offer.

JVS has repeatedly said this is his last year...

The talk of whether the two new teams are next year or the year after are both discussed with the more likely possibility it will be next year.

Tis games and or product for media companies ...

5 games per week for 3 rounds is 135 games i.e 27 rounds * 5.

6 games per week for 3 rounds is 198 games i.e. 33 rounds * 6.

The maths is pretty simple ... an extra 2 teams... i.e 2 / 10 is 20%.

Whereas 198 games from 135 games is an extra 47% in games ... i.e 63 / 135.

So Arnold has as I understand it an offer from Holland from his old team... JVS is leaving ... and their is a greater chance of the two extra teams next year than the year after, although thats not saying its for sure next year.

On balance I would sign him ASAP...

Tevor

I wouldn't be surprised to see NPL teams come into the comp next year instead of completely new franchises then they already have coaches and squads that will need tweaking only. Wolves and maybe South or Strikers are my picks, whilst Tas has a lot of support suspect they will be in the next round of expansion when they have had time to finish stadiums etc.

JoyfulPenguin

Paul Okon’s Central Coast Mariners face 12-day horror period
88a7546f8127623748f5433b52d3168f

Central Coast Mariners coach Paul Okon shows his frustration during last weekend’s match against Brisbane.

By Ray Gatt

It’s hard enough having to cope with a three-game losing streak and having to worry about the possibility of being bottom of the table as the season approaches the halfway mark.

But when you’re confronted by the draw from hell over the holiday period, then you have to start to wonder whether the football gods are just playing with your emotions.

That’s the situation for struggling Central Coast as coach Paul Okon ponders a 12-day period that will see his side play three of the top four clubs in the competition.

The situation will either make or break the Mariners as they play second-placed Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park on Wednesday, followed by fourth-placed Melbourne City three days later before facing runaway competition leaders Sydney FC on January 8.

Having won just two of their 11 games to date, which sees them second from bottom with nine points, it is no surprise many pundits believe they will draw a blank from those games. But just as you would expect from one of Australian soccer’s former greats, Okon does not fear the challenge.

“It is what it is,” Okon said. “Without a doubt we are all looking forward to playing those games. It’s no different to any other part of the season because every game in the A-League is tough, no matter who you play.”

Okon believes the fact his side will have had a 10-day turnaround from their last game — a 2-1 defeat by Brisbane Roar — has allowed him the time to put some extra work into the team in preparation for what lies ahead.

“I’ve been able to crank it up, get some work into the players,” he said. “We have two games in three days then eight days later we play Sydney. Yeah, it’s tough but I know we have the belief that we can come out of this in a good position.

“We showed against a very good Brisbane side that we can trouble the good teams. We could quite easily have got something out of that game, so that has given us good confidence.”

Tipped to be wooden-spooners at the start of the season, the Mariners have been far from the easybeats some had suggested. They are still only three points out of the top six, though it would be a brave person to suggest they will be there at the business end of the season.

The side has struggled at both ends of the park, managing to score just 11 goals — equal second-worst record — while conceding 22, the second-worst record behind Perth Glory (23).

While the statistics and the competition table don’t reflect it, Okon, who took over the reins only five weeks before the start of the competition following the sacking of Tony Walmsley, has done a terrific job with the club.

It has been a tough initiation for him in his senior coaching debut, but Okon has made a good first of it, instilling belief and confidence in a squad that lacks the quality and depth of the bigger clubs.

However, whether the club can continue to make progress will depend on whether they can invest in the January transfer window. It is understood Okon is looking at a number of options to bring in some new players but he will be limited by the amount of funds, as the Mariners don’t have too much to play with.

Meanwhile, defender Jacques Faty (knee) is likely to be part of the squad for the game against Victory. He hasn’t played since round six against Wellington.
Masterfood quality sauce:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d/news-story/baa26738a681176959df79c835dafc09

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred