• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

WC qualifier China vs Australia in Kunming

P

Pete

coast said:
Joining the Asian zone has made it a shit load easier to qualify by the looks of it.

I think it's a yes and no answer to that statement, Coast.

Yes, if we are good enough to be in the World Cup, we will qualify, and be ready for the Cup Finals much better. And we won't have to worry about one bad game knocking us out, like we did vs. Iran (sorry Mr. Celery  :eek: :-X), or Uruguay, in the past.

But, no, the task is harder by more games and the fact we have to have the quality of players  and the manager who can get over the hurdles of playing throughout Asia. And when it gets down to deciding who the 4 Asian qualifiers are, the likes of South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Iraq will certainly make it hard for us.

If there's that 1/2 spot still available for Asia (Asia has either 4 or 4 and a half spots?) I do not want Australia to have to play New Zealand (presumed Oceania qualifier) for that final WC spot -it would be hell!

Atomic

Spud said:
If there's that 1/2 spot still available for Asia (Asia has either 4 or 4 and a half spots?) I do not want Australia to have to play New Zealand (presumed Oceania qualifier) for that final WC spot -it would be hell!

Agreed! Those bloody sheep-shaggers grow an extra leg when playing the Aussies - no matter what sport it is

Atomic

Injuries open door for Djite, Bridge
Mike Cockerill, SMH
One player who did make the cut, Central Coast Mariners midfielder Mile Jedinak, earned special praise, suggesting he may get his chance later in the World Cup campaign.

"He was very good in his coaching, he's tactically very clever. Mile did very well, absolutely," Verbeek said.

Well done Mile - high praise indeed

P

Pete

Atomic said:
Injuries open door for Djite, Bridge
Mike Cockerill, SMH
One player who did make the cut, Central Coast Mariners midfielder Mile Jedinak, earned special praise, suggesting he may get his chance later in the World Cup campaign.

"He was very good in his coaching, he's tactically very clever. Mile did very well, absolutely," Verbeek said.

Well done Mile - high praise indeed

And, I'd suggest, Mile probably listens to what his coach is telling him, and actually tries to do what his coach/manager wants him to do - instead of trying to impress the hell out of him.

Yes, well done indeed Mile.

midfielder

McDonald is out thus an A-League attack plus Harry................but I perfer Harry out wide on the left, ...............come on the A-League.

Re the Jedi post " may the force be with him", he will come back a much better player for all this Socceroo training.  Interesting Pim gave him special praise.

FFC Mariner

A dour "backs to the wall" performance beckons, Lucas Neill as quoted in the SMH today said:

"I'd imagine it will be a slower-paced game, so maybe we have to show a bit of professionalism, maybe take a bit longer with throw-ins, free kicks, the occasional player going down to buy some time. Maybe we have to use our heads as well as our lungs, maybe bend the rules to our advantage."

Go for it my son, diving, rolling around in agony, time wasting...............nick a 1-0 away win.

Teddy Bear

McDonald came off against Gretna after 60 mins with a "hamstring" injury. Coincidental that Celtic play one of the biggest games of the year against Rangers on Saturday.

I wonder if he will be recovered in time to take his place? I think he will make a miraculous recovery just after the referee blows time on in Kunming.

kevrenor

Teddy Bear said:
McDonald came off against Gretna after 60 mins with a "hamstring" injury. Coincidental that Celtic play one of the biggest games of the year against Rangers on Saturday.

I wonder if he will be recovered in time to take his place? I think he will make a miraculous recovery just after the referee blows time on in Kunming.

Whether the injury is real or not, I'm sure he won't be in Kunming by tommorrow.  Djite looks to be out injured now also.  Strikers getting thin as the air.  Jedi to come on in 2nd half and score winner!

swarey

f**k me!!! what's doing, now, even Pim's on the sick list.... & Harry's said to be struggling...... 

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/72615,socceroos-are-the-sickerroos.aspx

Mar 25 2008 17:20

PIM Verbeek this afternoon joined the Socceroo sick list as he took ill in the middle of a press conference.

Just 24 hours ahead of tomorrow's crucial World Cup qualifier against China, Verneek had to end an interview admitting he felt ill.

"I need a small break - I don't feel very well," he admitted in front of television cameras at the Australia press conference.

Looking a little pale and light-headed, Verneek walked out on the interview to be attended o by the Australian medical team.

It's possible the thin atmosphere of high altitude Kunming, 1900m above sea level, may have taken its toll on the coach.

Already on the casualty list is Bruce Djite who was set to play a key role in tomorrow's match after a string of late withdrawals by Euroroos. His training session ended early yesterday with a knee problem and will not feature in the game.

Scott McDonald was confirmed as a no-show yesterday after Celtic claimed a calf strain had knocked him out of action. Celtic face a potential title decider against Rangers on Sunday.

He joined Tim Cahill - who only managed 10 minutes of his club game at the weekend, Brett Emerton who didn't start for his club and Mile Sterjovski who was cut down by a bruising tackle and substituted after 39 minutes for the Rams. Josh Kennedy also missed his domestic game with a twisted ankle.

Harry Kewell is with the squad in China and is also said to be struggling with fitness but still intends to start the vital game tomorrow.

serious14

This is the sort of game for Harry to go "sorry for the no-shows over the years, but there's been times where I really have delivered - this is another one of those times".  I think a lot of the team will be looking to him to either score a goal, or play one of those epic playmaker games that a No. 10 type player pulls out of the fire every now and then.  I for one can't wait, 'cause when Harry steps up and delivers, it's a sight to behold.......

This game will give us a nice indicator of where we _really_ stand within Asian football as well.  Bring it on.

marinersman

Gee we're thin up front. I can't believe the bad luck with all the injuries.

Looks like it'll have to be Archie and Bridge. I'm more than confortable with Archie, but Bridge worries me at senior level at this stage of his development.

What's the go with Aloi$i? Was he left out or not selected because of his knee?

Sean

looks like the match will be fixed

Socceroos up against China's people power

The Asian Football Confederation has a billion reasons to root for China in Wednesdays 2010 World Cup qualifier against the Socceroos in Kunming, a senior AFC official said.

The unnamed official said it was in Asian footballs best interests that the Chinese qualify for the finals in South Africa because of the vast promotional potential of the worlds most populated country.

China must qualify for the World Cup, no doubt about that, the AFC official said.
It is very important for promotional and marketing reasons that the Chinese get through.
China represents a huge market and success in the World Cup qualifying stages would be good for
everybody. Of course, the same applies to Japan and Korea Republic.

China is seen as the sleeping giant of Asian football and if the team coached by Serbian Vladimir Petrovic
manage to reach South Africa, the corridors of power at the AFCs Kuala Lumpur headquarters would be abuzz with expectations.

China has the world's largest population and is therefore the world game's greatest market.
The Chinese have reached the World Cup only once and were eliminated in the first phase in 2002 without scoring a goal.

The Chinese also have yet to be crowned champions of Asia although they came mighty close in 2004 when they lost the final in Beijing to bitter rivals Japan.
Yet although China have not left their mark on a continent that has been dominated by the big four of Japan, Korea Republic, Iran and Saudi Arabia, the craving for football among its population of 1.32 billion cannot be ignored.

When China reached the 2004 Asian Cup final against Zicos Japan, the grudge match forced the history of Chinese television to be rewritten.
The facts surrounding that match are staggering:

Three hundred million people watched at least part of the game on that historic Saturday in August 2004.
Forty-three per cent of people watching television that evening tuned in to watch the game.
Eighteen per cent of China's population watched the entire game. The 2002 World Cup final between Brazil and Germany was watched by 13.4 per cent of the Chinese population. It was the most watched single event in Chinese television history.

Football in Australia, with its meagre 21.2 million, will always play second fiddle to such huge countries in the marketing stakes.
Then Football Federation Australia chief executive John ONeill, who was a special guest at the Beijing final, rushed back home with the unequivocal message for his chairman Frank Lowy that would change Australian football for ever: Frank, weve got to get into Asia.

With qualification for the football fest in South Africa entering a delicate stage, the stakes are high for China, Australia ... and the AFC.
China opened their 2010 account with a creditable 1-1 draw against Asian champions Iraq in Dubai on February 6. On that same night Pim Verbeek's Australia crushed Qatar 3-0 in Melbourne.
Victory over the Socceroos on match day two would give the Chinese an early stranglehold on Group 1, the top two of which will join eight teams in the last phase of qualifying.

It is blatantly obvious from the extraordinary figures of 2004 why the AFC is so keen for football in China to get its act together, the national team to qualify for the World Cup and subsequently meet the great expectations placed on a country that has been dormant for too long.
If China becomes a real and lasting force in the region, its vast untapped market would provide unlimited riches to the AFC and world governing body FIFA itself.

So the AFC might be forgiven for privately rooting for the Chinese when they resume their bid to reach their second finals in eight years in high-altitude Kunming.
And if any AFC or FIFA dignitaries appear to be lending their support to China on Wednesday we would know why and should not take it too personally.

-----

Taken from Syd forum

Margaret Thatcher

was starting to think something was going on, with all these last minute injuries. maybe the afc are using covert tactics to achieve the desired result. mmmm conspiracy.

SNOWMARINER

How depressing is that. Crist as if it was'nt bad enough that can't find the back of the net Thompson and one hit wonder Bridge are our 'strikeforce' it sounds like the ref will be under instructions to remove the potential threat to the moneypot.

I hope the lads playing know this and don't give any reason to award a spot kick, play a defencive game throught (considering we have a very limited attack it would be obvious anyway), hope we grab one on the counter and be content with a draw OR

Smash'em like guitars!!

kevrenor

Perm said:
looks like the match will be fixed

Socceroos up against China's people power

The Asian Football Confederation has a billion reasons to root for China in Wednesdays 2010 World Cup qualifier against the Socceroos in Kunming, a senior AFC official said ...

Probably that Sheik from Kuwait that wants us out.

The AFC want to do well at the World Cup ... Australia is part of that strategy! Conspiracy now balanced up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred