• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

WC qualifier China vs Australia in Kunming

Paolo

on star fm yesterday this comment was made "with the beijing olympics on later on this year, the socceroos have a game against china today to see if they can qualify"(or along those lines).... ::)

FFC Mariner

Brilliant performance by all concerned (especially Pim).

The Chinese were more concerned with us than in playing their own game and sat way too deep.

An away point is always a good one together with a clean sheet. Qatar winning helps us as I think they are the poorest side in the group. 2 home wins and we are into the next stage.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I think that ref has been watching A-league - that tackle on Wilkshire wouldn't have been a red card over here either ;-)

Good game, the defence was mostly solid and well-organised, though a few gaps started to appear towards the end, but they did well to hold them out.  The insistence on playing for the draw was a bit frustrating, and there were probably a couple of good counter opportunities that wouldn't have resulted in compromising our defence that were blown, but oh well.

The shooting from both teams was pretty ordinary - the penalty was probably the only time when either keeper was challenged.  Very well read by Schwarzer.

There were some great skillful moments by China - though when they created space from nothing in the box they then seemed to panic and choke on their shots.

dibo

am i the only one who thought we were not that flash?

we were as threatening as the CSY, and while we controlled possession for large parts, schwarzer had more to do than the chinese keeper.

*then* there's the penalty, i've seen plenty of those given over the years so we don't have an awful lot to complain about. had schwarzer not been indecisive he would have had the ball easily on the full, but he was caught on his heels at the crucial moment.

our finishing (insofar as there was an opportunity to display it) was lame, and there was very little attacking intent shown beyond chipping past the line for bresciano or holman to chase. if the plan was ride it out and take 0-0 then ok, but we could easily have gone down.

we didn't even really try just working for the off chances by pinging a couple from range, and there were opportunities for the likes of wilkshire and culina in particular to get their foot into it and simply see what happens. you're playing away, might as well have a speculator...

FFC Mariner

I thought we looked like a cobbled together side that didnt know each other v well TBH. surely the HAL has someone better than Holman too.

As for the penalty, if it was the other way what would we think??

skilbeck

i agree with you dibo, im just guessing most people are relieved that we did get the result we were more or less looking for. we were pretty ordinary, but considering the circumstances it was a good result and Pim is only going to have us better prepared for the next few games that are in the european off season and therefore the euro-socceroos will have more preparation and rest and therefore be fresh, better prepared and more dangerous. so its only looking up for us

Aden

i reckon we played some  f*d   football yesterday   I understand with all the   injury troubles it was always gonna be hard but even Pim played for a draw at the end and i didnt  agree with that .  I hate  playing for draws under any circumstance like say next game against iraq  we are all injured again  and we get a draw even maybe a suprise loss  things could very well turn out pear shaped so why not  go for all the points we can aim to win at all circumstance early then wen we have enough points to  exceed to the next round play our A-league players

kevrenor

dibo said:
am i the only one who thought we were not that flash?

Certainly wasn't, but that is the nature of WCQ!  It is the result not how we get there I am afraid.

I am quite satisfied with a draw given the amount of players out and therefore disruption to tactical planning - though I think that Pim may be of the Guus mould ... detailed plans for any eventuality.

North did well and surprised me, as did Holman mostly (more to his game than the youngster at Power). I didn't think anyone was poor.

Some wayward passing at times by midfield although they weren't put under any real pressure - but all's well and good.

I looked back yesterday to see if Valeri had ever played in defence thinking I wouldn't risk North and found a youth game vs SI back in 2002 when 4 or 5 of this team played and Valeri scored from 40m. Shame no-one tried that last night - may have been a chance.

Hey, the game was there for China to take and they didn't.  The win by Qatar gives China headache, and makes it quite interesting for us when we go there in their summer, as it will when we go to play Iraq (wherever, hot and sandy)

The game was one I was quite worried about but even If I was still sitting focussed in the CCLC sports bar the hilarity behind me showed how relaxed people were able to be after only a short period of the game.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

With that penalty....why is it that we were only shown one angle for the replay?  The lack of replays was annoying, especially when they're terrible angles. 

It's an appalling angle, because you can't tell how much of a touch Schwarzer got on the ball.  If he got a good touch, then it's no penalty.  If he just skimmed it, or missed it, then it's a penalty.  You can't tell from the replay angle.

However, I believe the original camera angle shows that Schwarzer got a good touch - no penalty.

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfnsXoYRe5k

The penalty is around the 3min mark.  Schwarzer, when he dives for the ball, gets a real solid touch on it.  No penalty.
Though it could've been the contact prior to that which the ref thought was worth a penalty...who knows.    Great save anyway. 

serious14

Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
With that penalty....why is it that we were only shown one angle for the replay?  The lack of replays was annoying, especially when they're terrible angles. 

Chinese State TV (CCTV) mate, they're not gonna give credence to any foreign claim for a penalty, are they??  Especially by capitalist Australian dogs......

graaant

serious14 said:
Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:

Chinese State TV (CCTV) mate, they're not gonna give credence to any foreign claim for a penalty, are they??   Especially by capitalist Australian dogs......

f**kin' Peter Verbeek and his capitalist Australia dogs...

marinersman

What's going on with Iraq? "Home" draw with China and a 2-0 loss to a very average Qatar.

Good result for us but a draw would have been slightly better.

Maybe the Asian Cup was a flash in the pan.

serious14

marinersman said:
What's going on with Iraq? "Home" draw with China and a 2-0 loss to a very average Qatar.

Good result for us but a draw would have been slightly better.

Maybe the Asian Cup was a flash in the pan.

When your country has been invaded and is constantly falling apart, football is probably lower on your list of priorities......... no Jordan Viera isn't helping things either.  ;)

Hopefully it's a flash in the pan regarding our shitness as well - yesterday was the first 'mature' performance I've seen from us in Asia.  Long may it continue.

ryan

Did anyone else think we should have had a penalty in the first half. There was an incident when Meggsi went up for a throw in or corner and he was bear hugged by the defender and couldn't get to the ball.

Overall it is a good result for us. We never really looked threatening going forward but we kept the ball for long periods  and were able to dictate at times. Meggsi looks more assured with every game he plays for the National Team and Jade North was also able support for Lucas Neill.
We should have more players available for the next matches which has me fairly confident for the rest of this phase

ryan

Both Japan and Saudi Arabia lost. Bahrain 1 Japan 0 and Uzbekistan 3- Saudi Arabia 0

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred