• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Graham Arnold Thread

Forum Phoenix

Yeah just had. Cheers Scottmac.
The don't get too excited line was a little depressing.
I have no idea who it could be - but surely GA would be bringing in a forward - and surely he would not be looking at another samish target brute... so a pacey striker?

PLEASE be that.

Kareem

I had a nightmare last night that Arnie left us, and went to Perth.
And I think he was taking Patrick with him...
Just wanted to share :lol:

MagpieMariner

I had a nightmare last night that Arnie left us, and went to Perth.
And I think he was taking Patrick with him...
Just wanted to share :lol:

Kareem, I hope your nightmare was caused by excessive consumption of alcohol, not by psychic activity :rolleyes: <_<

Kareem

lmao spike (I found it funny, not having a go at you)

@ marinermick
spot on

I think, everyone was tlaking about whether one of our players was heading in opposite direction...hence my subconscious wondering off. To put it simply- i have a screwed up subconscious

MagpieMariner

lmao spike (I found it funny, not having a go at you)

@ marinermick
spot on

I think, everyone was tlaking about whether one of our players was heading in opposite direction...hence my subconscious wondering off. To put it simply- i have a screwed up subconscious

Yes it was purely a light-hearted comment with no implications about your personal habits (particularly alcohol) intended to put a grin on the face for a moment.

pjennings

You usually see GA shake hands and rush off down the tunnel. Today he seemed to take a little bit longer and acknowledged the crowd who were cheering.

I hope no-one points out to him that it was the crowds appreciation of 5 years of service from Danny, who GA just happened to cut in front of.

Kudos to Danny for the 5 years - thanks for the ride so far Arnie!!

Roy Law

Danny was smart enough to hang back and take his well-deserved and sincere applause, but it was amusing because the crowd was quite happy to applaud Arnie too.

pjennings

A couple of question for people in the know.

I haven't had a chance to see the NYL side this year. Do they play in a simlar style to the senior side? Does Graham Arnold have input into the coaching of the NYL side?

I know that Tony Walmsley is the coach but if these boys aspire to come into a side run by Arnie they should be aware of what he is looking for and the way to play in the senior team. While this is a general question, it is especially true when we have to deal with a congested fixture list and there is likely to be some supplementing of the first team squad.

Marquee

I've seen Arnie watch some the youth games I've been at. Also, the last time I watched training at Club Tuggerah in Novemeber there was a few youth players training, namely Bernie, Fitzy, Ormbsy, Griffin and a couple I've forgotten.

The youth boys play tomorrow at Pluim if you're free. They do play some good football.

pjennings

I've seen Arnie watch some the youth games I've been at. Also, the last time I watched training at Club Tuggerah in Novemeber their was a few youth players training, namely Bernie, Fitzy, Ormbsy, Griffin and a couple I've forgotten.

The youth boys play tomorrow at Pluim if you're free. They do play some good football.

Thanks - I will get to the Perth and Brisbane games but can't make early mid-week games. I've heard good things about Fitzy and Duke. Are they ready to step up if needed?

midfielder

Nice article from smh...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/plain-sailing-for-arnold-as-unsung-mariners-cruise-into-second-place-20110203-1afib.html

WHILE the Socceroos had a nation of bleary-eyed sports fans furiously chewing their nails in the early hours of Sunday morning, some 11,000 kilometres away from Doha, Graham Arnold was sleeping soundly in his Adelaide hotel room.

Make of that what you will, but four years on from Arnold's darkest hour - as Australia's coach for the ill-fated 2007 Asian Cup campaign - it's clear he's made a clean break from the green and gold to rebuild his own coaching credentials.

Arnold slept especially well that night, for his task a few hours earlier was cleared with flying colours. The club he manages, Central Coast, had just defeated Adelaide United 2-1, effectively sealing second place, putting them on track for a much-coveted double chance in the finals.

Advertisement: Story continues below
In a memorable debut season in the domestic dugout, this was Arnold's crowning moment so far, and a poignant twist of fate to that of the national team.

''That was the best win we've had this year, no doubt about it,'' he said. ''Our away form has been fantastic this season - we've only lost twice all year, and one of those was against Brisbane - but that first half was something special. We haven't played a better 45 minutes anywhere this season. We tore them to pieces, and could have been three or four up by half-time. Young [goalkeeper] Matty Ryan had nothing to do. Then we followed up with a really professional performance in the second half. It was exactly what I wanted.''

Yet while Arnold is delighted with the consistency of the team and their character - ''You couldn't wish to meet a better group of players to work with'' - he's not convinced we've seen the best of them.

''I'm very proud of how we've played this year but there's more to come, don't worry about that,'' he said. ''We can still improve another 10 per cent before the end of the season. This group is always ready for the occasion, and I think they now understand what it's going to take. They've impressed me with how much they want this.''

In talking about potential championship contenders, it's been notable how little media coverage the Mariners have received outside their regional base. Brisbane Roar and Adelaide United have drawn headlines for their fluid football, while troubles at Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory have been talking points. By contrast, the Mariners have been quietly going about their business.

''I have a wonderful clipping at home where a lot of pundits tipped us to come 10th and fight out the wooden spoon against North Queensland. That still motivates the players,'' he said. ''People still continually ignore us and continually tip against us, it's incredible. Yet we haven't been outside the top four since round one.''

Arnold conceded that second spot was theirs to lose, and attention was already turning to ending the regular season on a high note and then facing Ange Postecoglou's Brisbane juggernaut over two legs for the right to host the grand final. But with Brisbane now 23 games unbeaten, an Australian record, do the Mariners have what it takes to push them all the way?

''It's a credit to Ange for the record they've just broken but we've definitely closed the gap, and I think if we hold second spot, I'm very confident we'll give them a huge shake,'' he said. ''That recent 3-3 draw at home showed it. We should have won that game, and since that night the players' self-belief has grown. They've gone to another level football-wise.''

Then there is Patricio Perez, who scored a goal and laid on the other against Adelaide, finally justifying the hype. But the coach warned that was just a glimpse of of his true ability.

LFCMariners

It's funny how less than a year after this thread was started, people are having nightmares about Arnold LEAVING.....

Muppet

I don't think there were too many people (myself included) who saw the signing of GA as a good thing for the club given his history. This season has proven me wrong to some extent. The proof will be next year and the third year. By then he should have established his theme for the club and its players and have signed some of the players he wanted. If this year is anything to go by then I think he will set the benchmark for coaching (along with Ange).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred