• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Graham Arnold Thread

MagpieMariner

Funny thing, all those I'm associated with who laughed at us for getting GA reckoned all we would do under him is long ball.
Another funny thing, Haven't heard too much laughing from those same people for a while now :rolleyes:

MrCelery

Not "everyone" spike.

Count me in here too. I was neither for nor against, preferring for results on the park and within the Club to form an opinion. I was not a fanboy of Arnold, nor was I overly critical over his less than brilliant Asian Cup foray.

So far he's ticking all the boxes. And while less close to the fans than Lawrie was, his charges have been producing some beautiful football so far.

The only down-side has been his ability to get the best out of Matty Simon as a striker. Matty has had a very average season so far, compared to last year (in the goals department).

nero

Though everyone has an opinion on this subject and people are sick of hearing it.

I really like the fact, that Arnold has made Hutch, Kwas and Porter fight for a spot in the 1st team and not get automatic selection. They have had some fantastic games at times and some terrible games at times and its up to arnold to select them when they can bring the form we know they are capable of at training.

Matty Simon is unconventional in his abilities, but scoring goals or not I think Arnold need him in the squad. Hopefully he will find his scoring touch before this new striker comes in and takes his place.

midfielder

Sometimes in life a thing comes along that takes you by surprise. Sometimes the surprise is good other times it is bad. Hal 6 has provided a surprise for me. That surprise for me has been Graham Arnold.

GA was the coach of the Northern Spirit a club I followed in the old NSL. He was poor, very poor and openly admits this today. However life was kind to GA when Frank Farina wanted an assistant coach for the Socceroos he choose his old mate Arine.

We all know the story of how GA was put in charge of the Socceroos , the Asian cup, then the Olympic team and so the story just continues to grow. Then assistant coach to Guss & Pim. Arguably Australia’s most unemployable coach.

Then out of the blue GA is coach of my beloved Mariners. Other fans forums laughed at us, the Mariners fans forum was a buzz with Arnold Out. To my amazement the quality of play has never been higher, we play out from the back.

The level we play is also quite high in a tactical sense. We play 442 with the outside mids playing in the inner channel with the wide backs moving forward playing in the outer channel. We don’t defend the sideline, given the size of our midfield we pack the centre of the park and defend the centre of the park.

The surprise has been has been how a side with 12 changes to the squad has come together so well and so skilfully without sacrificing that surfie spirit of the blue water people we are well know for. Most pleasing has been watching the five under 22 players develop their game. Mat Ryan in goals is growing in confidence and skill each week. Griffiths role as defensive mid from when he came as a central defender again improving each week.

Most pleasing has been for me anyway has been the growing confidence of Amini. At 17 this kid if he keeps improving will be a Socceroo. His touch is sublime at times but at just 17 and a young 17 with heaps of growing still to do in speed and strength he is amazing to watch. GA has handled Amini in a clever way never over playing him. When he is getting monstered he replaces him. Most games around 60 minutes and he is off. Each week he brings a little more out of his natural skill and vision. More recently GA has lifted his confidence to the point were he is starting to show aggression in his play which was missing in his early games.

My gut feel is we will be luckily to see this kid much past his 18 maybe 19 birthday. If you get the chance go and see this kid play he is worth the price of your ticket. Others to watch in Arnie’s nursery are Oliver Bozanic 20, Trent Sainsbury 18, Marc Warren 18, also a smokie for the Asian cup Joshua Rose who has never played better.

For me I expected the worse and have been pleasantly surprised at what GA has done without losing as I said that surfie spirit of the blue water people on the coast.

Its Christmas so we can all sing along ...

To the tune of winter wonderland...

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening,
In the lane, snow is glistening
A beautiful sight,
We're happy tonight.
Walking in a MARINER Wonderland.

Gone away is the bluebird,
Here to stay is a new bird
He sings a love song,
As we go along,
Walking in a MARINER wonderland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE8D52xD4uw

midfielder

Not wanting to put a mock on anything or anyone ... but ... but ... but .... GA as I said earlier has handled Amini very well and if I look at Ben Kantarovski (Jets) & Terry Antonis (SFC) both are know injured and I think have played less football... but when they played they were played for the full match unlike Amini who has every time he looks as he is getting tied out comes the hook .... more importantly its his skill development that the coaching staff are using rather than trying to get him fit enough for a full game .... IMO excellent decision making by GA and will see other rep juniors wanting to come here...

pjennings

After last nigh'ts loss against Melbourne Victory I thought it would be appropriate to revisit Arnie's tenure with an interim look at his progress. Many on these board's looked upon the apppointment of GA with barely disguised contempt. I was not one of them. I was just wary.

I had watched Arnie play as a striker for the Socceroos and then seen him reduced to captain/coach and sweeper for Northern Spirit (only because they played in Gosford - not a NS fan). The Asian Cup followed and of course the Olyroos. All the time he had the support of Frankie, Guus and Pim. While Arnie would not have been my choice I was prepared to give him a go.

Before you judge how he is going - ask yourself what was your expectation for this year. Mine was for a rebuilding year. A frustrating sort of treading-water year, with the hope of playing slightly better football and scraping into the finals.

Well how is he doing? At the start of the new year we are sitting third, comfotably in the top four and with the chance to finish top two.

The squad has been rejuvenated with Matty Ryan, JVS, Josh Rose, Marc Warren, Patrick Zwaanswijk, Sam Gallagher, Trent Sainsbury, Rostyn Griffiths, Oliver Bozanic, Patricio Perez and Mustafa Amini all coming in.

After the injury to JVS, Arnie could have plumped for a more experienced keeper - but he has stood by Matty Ryan and we have the makings of a very good keeper. Similarly, Arnie has shown faith in a young quartet of Griffiths, Amini, McGlinchey and Bozanic to run the midfield, and young Trent Sainsbury prove himself against fancied opposition last night. So on the score of supporting youth Arnie scores very well.

In picking talent he also scores well. Zwaanswijk and Rose have been outstanding beside Wilko and Pedj and hopefully Patricio will also deliver in the weeks to come.

So has Arnie been a success? Well not yet - let's see how the season ends. However, the signs look good and my fear of a frustrating sort of treading-water year, with the hope of playing slightly better football seems to have been avoided.

In spite of the loss yesterday, the only team that I believe are playing at a level that we haven't found an answer to is Brisbane. We are running third, and creating plenty of chance without necessarily being very proficient in taking our chances and with our major signing only playing a bit part so far.

My hope for the coming weeks and the finals is that the missing combinations between Perez and the strikers is found and that our midfield start contributing some goals as well.

Forum Phoenix

Wonderful post Pat.

Agree with everything - though unless we drop out of the top six entirely, for mine, on balance, I would already go so far as to call this season a success. I like the signings, I like our football, I like our youth policy (Bernie now please Arnie) I like our substitutions, I like our teams temperament (most of the time) and I like Arnie's post match analysis. The only thing I don't like is taking the foot off the peddle if we go up a goal - or if we go down to ten men that we stop believing we can still hold possession or pose a threat and cease trying to build/create an attack or atleast string a few passes together before just playing forcings back with our goal kicks.

So I'm Happy to say I thought Arnie would surprise and do well for us and posted as such!

But... to put things in perspective... I doubted the validity of continuing Matty as a striker... and now think he's been outstanding in the last ten odd games, improving hist touch and on the balls skills (Which I hope he continues to focus on) and I also championed McBreen when there were so many nay sayers and he clearly seems to be struggling at present. but saw Musty coming... So what the f**k do I know ?
:blink:

Ain't that football :lol:
I might as well just toss a coin ??? :D

Roy Law

The benchmark of success remains Lawrie McKinna: a Premiership, two Grand Finals and a tilt at the Asian Club Championship plus the promotion of the likes of Vukovic, Jedinak, Heffernan, Beauchamp and Wilkinson. And it was McKinna who signed Matt Simon, Pedj Bojic and Michael McGlinchey. And Mustafa (although I suspect that at the very least conversations were ongoing with Graham Arnold by then)
Arnie has done well, very well, much better than I expected or even hoped. The style of football has been good built on a philosophy of playing from the back and retaining possession. It hasn't always worked but when it does it is a delight to behold and makes you proud to watch. Despite all the misgivings and even the vitriol about Arnie's appointment I always used the Olyroos as a guide - not the botched finals squad but those who qualified for the finals. Those of us who watched the two Olyroos games at Gosford saw a side built on solid defence with a mobile midfield and supporting full backs so I am not that surprised at the way we try to play.
Arnie has been outstanding in his backing of the young players and the reward has been Ryan and Amini; and almost no-one expected him to play Sainsbury against Melbourne. I get the distinct impression that the players are enjoying the coaching that Arnie brings - I think McGlinchey, Bojic and in particular Matt Simon have noticeably improved as players. I like the spirit within the team which can also be attributed to him; heads don't down; after mistakes are made the players just get on with the next play. There is great mateship within the team.
He gets full marks for overseas recruitment in Patrick Zwaanswijk and Perez, plus his knowledge of overseas Aussies as seen in Josh Rose. I hope Patrick finds the elixir of youth and never ever retires, it is an education to watch him play and Josh Rose is an excitement machine who defends way better than the never-missed Dean Heffernan. Although I would loved to have seen Rose called up by the Socceroos just so we could get a look at Mark Warren I am quite happy to have Rose not called up IYSWIM.
Another exciting thing is that we are not the finished article - next year could be even more interesting as Arnie fine tunes the squad and gets some genuine strike power.
In summary, all good so far, its up to Arnie to emulate or surpass McKinna and he is doing well to this point.

cbowden9000

I have a feeling that this season is kind of like when Ange came in at Brisbane last season. A bit of a clean out of our dead wood and the teaching of a new style. I think we are over-achieving this season and I think next season we will rock the A-League.

scoober

everyone would agree that top six was our aim at the start of the season, a ton of changes and a coach that has a history but MAY bring in change for good or worse...... well it has been 95% for the good so far.

im still happy to make up the numbers in the final series and finish the clear-out next year and go for the title.

i'm a happy mariner and i think i'll be further pleased this season and beyond! future is bright!

timmers

I have a feeling that this season is kind of like when Ange came in at Brisbane last season. A bit of a clean out of our dead wood and the teaching of a new style. I think we are over-achieving this season and I think next season we will rock the A-League.

Agreed, but because of the quality personnel we never have had to deal with any negative media with idiots like Farina parading in front of the press. I guess we don't really know how much of a say Lawrie had in his change of position, but credit to him and the club for handling the situation as they did.

As has been highlighted by so many on this forum, we are one of the most professionally run clubs in the league and everyone knows we have a great culture. So proud to be a Mariner

marinersman

I don't think we're overachieving at all and deserve to be where we're at right now, although I do agree with you that next season we will be much better than this season and will challenge big time for the Premiers Plate.

I think a few on here underestimate our team to finish top two. I'm tipping a fair bit of improvement right to our last game of the season and I think top two is a huge possibility along with making the grand final. It's likely Brisbane will do the double but I think we can make the GF and in a one off game who knows. Only takes a flash of brilliance or a second yellow or an injury etc My whole point is we're good enough to get to the last game of the season and then anything is possible.

As supporters we need to believe more because it is possible and we have the players and coach to do it.

Forum Phoenix

Overachieving CB? Surely the only thing we have overachieved on is some peoples initial expectations?
I don't understand what your rationale is?

I don't think we are better than Roar, and if we were in front of them, then I'd agree with you. But we're not. However...

We just convincingly beat the currently second placed Adelaide?
Last game against GCU, we lost, *shakes head* however we played them so completely off the park that the game should have been over at half time.
Which brings us to what, the fifth placed "league benchmark" MVFC...? :rolleyes:
We were all over them until the send off. (That has to be amongst the dumbest statements ever made in world football btw)
Heart? Welly? We are certainly better than both these teams...?

So how are we overachieving currently sitting in third with a shot at finishing second?

Personally as long as we beat GCU in our make up game, I believe on balance that we absolutely deserve to finish 2nd as I think we have been considerably more consistent than AUFC - and have had less luck with crucial MRP decisions and the like seeing to us if anything looking to be underachieving on the table.

cbowden9000

Overachieving CB? Surely the only thing we have overachieved on is some peoples initial expectations?
I don't understand what your rationale is?

I don't think we are better than Roar, and if we were in front of them, then I'd agree with you. But we're not. However...

We just convincingly beat the currently second placed Adelaide?
Last game against GCU, we lost, *shakes head* however we played them so completely off the park that the game should have been over at half time.
Which brings us to what, the fifth placed "league benchmark" MVFC...? :rolleyes:
We were all over them until the send off. (That has to be amongst the dumbest statements ever made in world football btw)
Heart? Welly? We are certainly better than both these teams...?

So how are we overachieving currently sitting in third with a shot at finishing second?

Personally as long as we beat GCU in our make up game, I believe on balance that we absolutely deserve to finish 2nd as I think we have been considerably more consistent than AUFC - and have had less luck with crucial MRP decisions and the like seeing to us if anything looking to be underachieving on the table.

I meant we are overachieving from our initial target of marking the top 6. Arnie was with the Socceroos during the World Cup and hasn't had as much time with the team as say Ange has had with Brisbane. Both Ange and Arnie are trying to make their respective teams play a different style and the head-start that Ange has had is quite obvious. Ange has had time for a clean-out and has had two transfer windows. Arnie haasn't had that luxury and I believe that in time for next season he will have fine-tuned our squad to really challenge for the title.

Of course I believe we are are a top 2 side this season in hindsight, but what I meant was that I think the club wasn't putting too much focus on challenging for the title this season and in that sense we are overachieving.

Forum Phoenix

Ok right, you meant overachieving on the clubs initial targets. Sorry, didn't sound like that.
I agree re Arnie having more time to build etc... I'm excited by this prospect tbh.

Ironically only Roar who have lost arguably there biggest/second biggest player in McKay seem content with their depth atm.
I was impressed against ADUFC last night. They missed Broich, but Murdocca did a great job for Mckay and franjic was also well covered.

But all the other teams around us are really trying to strengthen their squads for the finals...
GCU getting Smeltz and probs there German Culina replacement.
Adelaide Slory and the costa Rican.
MV getting Allsopp back...

It's a it of a pity we don't look like we'll be doing anything in this transfer window - though I do like our squad and I like not breaking up our team unity too much. But hopefully Bernie will now get a look in because you'd have to think he'll struggle even harder to get a look after we buy another striker or two in the off season...

scottmac

Suspended
But all the other teams around us are really trying to strengthen their squads for the finals...
GCU getting Smeltz and probs there German Culina replacement.
Adelaide Slory and the costa Rican.
MV getting Allsopp back...

It's a it of a pity we don't look like we'll be doing anything in this transfer window - though I do like our squad and I like not breaking up our team unity too much. But hopefully Bernie will now get a look in because you'd have to think he'll struggle even harder to get a look after we buy another striker or two in the off season...

Check out Deej's last post on the Wellington game thread. Maybe we will be doing something in the transfer window.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred