• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R26 v Melbourne Heart @ AAMI

Big Al

My take is this. He's working defensive patterns for the new manager. In reality rather than 5 at the back you would four but with a midfielder dropping into CB if one if the CBs has to help out the FB. As Rowles had to do a bit with rose snr.
It's bland but it gives us a better base to build from. We have a heap of pace up front so it's a matter of then using it.
He’s doing nothing for the new manager (they may play 3 at the back who knows).
The 5 has worked in the back tracking and covering crosses when the opposition breaks through but it leaves the team with no outlets. Sure they are quick but can’t beat 4 defenders them selves. It’s the old strengthen one weakens the other. Just our attack was already weak.

4 at the back is enough and look how we are in the 2nd half when he releases McGing we dominate to the other box. We are good enough with 4. Our problem is clueless attackers. That he is making worse

FFC Mariner

I note that the academy have gone on a run since Sully left to take over from Okon

Draw your own conclusions.

(ps - the correct conclusion is that he is a f**king dope)

Ancient Mariner

I am hearing what a lot here are saying. But Sully is playing with the cattle he has. Players are playing with a lot more freedom.
FFS we had a pretty thread bare squad to start with. Sully is coping without, Tommy DDs and Golec, and scared the shit out of SFC.
Give a little credit.
Have you ever thought that maybe the whole club has been released from Okon ball now that he has gone?
Maybe Sully can play his own game now as well as whoever is running the academy.
Lots more changes than we can know may have happened with Okon's departure which may be why Gatty saw it as a big thing.

I do not necessarily think he should take over but I agree with Wombat that he has shown he is not a muppet.

Big Al

I am hearing what a lot here are saying. But Sully is playing with the cattle he has. Players are playing with a lot more freedom.
FFS we had a pretty thread bare squad to start with. Sully is coping without, Tommy DDs and Golec, and scared the shit out of SFC.
Give a little credit.
Have you ever thought that maybe the whole club has been released from Okon ball now that he has gone?
Maybe Sully can play his own game now as well as whoever is running the academy.
Lots more changes than we can know may have happened with Okon's departure which may be why Gatty saw it as a big thing.

I do not necessarily think he should take over but I agree with Wombat that he has shown he is not a muppet.
The problem is the way we played in the 2nd half against SFC is what he should of built on. Sure SFC tired late due to AFC but Sully released the back 5 and pushed the middle and the same for small patches in the roar and City games. It’s the wierd subs like Melling for TBT that are so confusing and why does he wait so late to attack.

He hasn’t been terrible but i think he is way to conservative for a team in 9th with attack problems not defensive issues that require a back 5. The back 4 problems are attitude.

The players are certainly putting in for him, no doubt. Just think he could give them more offensive structure.

Ancient Mariner

The problem is the way we played in the 2nd half against SFC is what he should of built on. Sure SFC tired late due to AFC but Sully released the back 5 and pushed the middle and the same for small patches in the roar and City games. It’s the wierd subs like Melling for TBT that are so confusing and why does he wait so late to attack.

He hasn’t been terrible but i think he is way to conservative for a team in 9th with attack problems not defensive issues that require a back 5. The back 4 problems are attitude.

The players are certainly putting in for him, no doubt. Just think he could give them more offensive structure.

Agree fully, but Sully is still learning and a long way from the finished product, which is why I would be happier to have Mulvey.

However, I am finding the football now more interesting (if not satisfying, exciting or winning, which is what I want) than what Okon was dishing up.

Ozhammer

Thank f*ck Victory found two late goals to down the Nix or we would be stone cold motherless last right now. :fireup:

Big Al

Agree fully, but Sully is still learning and a long way from the finished product, which is why I would be happier to have Mulvey.

However, I am finding the football now more interesting (if not satisfying, exciting or winning, which is what I want) than what Okon was dishing up.
Definitely Sully hasn’t given us a false hope that he was the magic answer. We need Mulvey.

It was certainly fascinating to watch against SFC but hasngot predictable and boring real quick

Wombat

Give a little credit.

He should not take over. He has sent us out with some discipline and has a plan (both sadly lacking from Okon in the last 6-8 weeks) and has made us competitive but at the expense of having ANY attacking threat at all.
Its not dumb Okonball but its Gerorge Graham at Arsenal but instead of 1.0 wins its 1.0 losses.

Wombat

Watching McGing and Storm runnning around with there arms tucked inside their shorts like those "challenging" kids you have to coach in u5 and u6's is more entertaining that the Okonball rubbish. And seeing a team with a intelligent set up is nice for a change....BUT
I could feel my blood bubbling as Rose (who fluctuates between window licker and good prospect in equal measure) squaring the ball to Baro while under no pressure while we are losing in extra time FFS over an over again.
Not sure if Rose, okon or Sully were to blame for this ingrained stupidity?

It is interesting for those of us that look at Football as Chess but for everyone else its boring park the bus bullshit.

Last edited:

Stoxxo

Could have watched on free to air but chose to go over my data limit and stream the knights broncos game instead, judge me all you like but after the last 4 years of shit with this club i made the right choice, dissapointed as much in myself as i am in the club that i actually chose not to watch anymore. Shambles

Ancient Mariner

I am liking Wales' go forward response most time when he gets the ball. Gets his head up as well. I am starting to think he could be a "very useful engine" in the years to come.

Ozhammer

I am liking Wales' go forward response most time when he gets the ball. Gets his head up as well. I am starting to think he could be a "very useful engine" in the years to come.
I love Lachie to bits (I have known him and his wonderful family for a long time) but the thing that strikes me is that he was supposed to be the one with the impressive numbers fitness-wise in the NYL set up, yet he is looking (at least to my eyes anyway) gassed at 30 minutes into a game. I wonder if it is nerves affecting his conditioning levels or something like that but I kinda expected more intensity from him. That said, the step up from boy’s to men’s football is always a hard one, so hopefully we will see more of what he is capable of next season (assuming the new coach retains Balder and actually lets him do his job that is).

Ozhammer

Watching McGing and Storm runnning around with there arms tucked inside their shorts like those "challenging" kids you have to coach in u5 and u6's is more entertaining that the Okonball rubbish. And seeing a team with a intelligent set up is nice for a change....BUT
I could feel my blood bubbling as Rose (who fluctuates between window licker and good prospect in equal measure) squaring the ball to Baro while under no pressure while we are losing in extra time FFS over an over again.
Not sure if Rose, okon or Sully were to blame for this ingrained stupidity?

It is interesting for those of us that look at Football as Chess but for everyone else its boring park the bus bullshit.
I don’t mind a coach parking the bus when necessary, as long as he doesn’t set the hand brake.... :headbounce:

Reactions: adz

Insertnamehere

I love Lachie to bits (I have known him and his wonderful family for a long time) but the thing that strikes me is that he was supposed to be the one with the impressive numbers fitness-wise in the NYL set up, yet he is looking (at least to my eyes anyway) gassed at 30 minutes into a game. I wonder if it is nerves affecting his conditioning levels or something like that but I kinda expected more intensity from him. That said, the step up from boy’s to men’s football is always a hard one, so hopefully we will see more of what he is capable of next season (assuming the new coach retains Balder and actually lets him do his job that is).
Hopefully we have a proper preseason where the manager listens to the S&C coach..... If the AFL proves anything it is that you can always do more running work in the offseason. Didn't arsenal poach port adelaide S&C guy?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred