• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Pre-Season Games

Tevor

Only goal was from an Izzo shocker as he failed to clear the corner when he went for it. They played a very possession based game with a focus on defence and it looked better than last year. Opportunities were pretty even however CCM were not really focused on attack it appeared.

JoyfulPenguin

Only goal was from an Izzo shocker as he failed to clear the corner when he went for it. They played a very possession based game with a focus on defence and it looked better than last year. Opportunities were pretty even however CCM were not really focused on attack it appeared.
Thanks heaps for the info Tevor!

JoyfulPenguin

Also Adelson was injured quite bad in the last 4 minutes.
Oh no, he's had a lot of problems in the past with injuries hasn't he? Feel for him, if it's bad that means we only have Storm as a right back and maybe Posco who is really needed at centre back.

Rowdy

After watching him today, I think Blake Powell will be pivotal to our season.

He got through a ton of work and was the Mariner that impressed me the most in this game
- constantly moving, linking up on both flanks from the central AM position, only criticism was that he was dropping tooo deep on many occassions to recieve the ball ..... which in turn had Roy dropping into the pocket which is where Powell should have been recieving.

I put that down to 2 things;
It was a small pitch, both in width and length & Wellington, through Durante did a good job of keeping a high line with their back 4.

The Nix compressed the middle third, applying pressure right across the width of the mid field.

Monty put in his usual 9-5 shift, but it was Tav that I feel could've been a lot more proactive in helping to switch the play more often to the open side and do it far quicker. This was while the Nix were pressing us on a flank when we tried playing out from the back - in & around their DM territory.

Feel this was the primary cause for BP to be 'dropping-in' to this area as the extra unmarked man.

Last edited:

Tevor

Agree Rowdy, Blake played very well and he was deep on many an occasion. Have not seen or heard much of Peterson but he had a real go and seemed to read the play well.

JoyfulPenguin

Agree Rowdy, Blake played very well and he was deep on many an occasion. Have not seen or heard much of Peterson but he had a real go and seemed to read the play well.
Peterson seems to get an assist every week or so for the Academy it's either him or Lachie Wales setting up for Buhagiar most of the time.

pjennings

Oh no, he's had a lot of problems in the past with injuries hasn't he? Feel for him, if it's bad that means we only have Storm as a right back and maybe Posco who is really needed at centre back.

Yes very sad to see them having to get the stretcher out for Jake. He was playing well and is very quick as well. Let's hope it is not as bad as last season's injury.

Wombat

Peterson seems to get an assist every week or so for the Academy it's either him or Lachie Wales setting up for Buhagiar most of the time.

Peterson was a liability in the Tamworth game but I remember Sainsbury having a couple of very poor games at the start of his career.....so hopefully Peterson can develop.
Thanks to the posters that went today.
Obviously the result isn't great but we sound more structured and alot of people got some minutes into their legs.

JoyfulPenguin

Peterson was a liability in the Tamworth game but I remember Sainsbury having a couple of very poor games at the start of his career.....so hopefully Peterson can develop.
Thanks to the posters that went today.
Obviously the result isn't great but we sound more structured and alot of people got some minutes into their legs.
He indeed was though for the academy he is an attacking midfielder not a left back so I think that contributed. What position was he playing today?

Rowdy

Peterson was a liability in the Tamworth game

He was & played at RB against the Scum in Tamworth, was quite overawed.

Today however, Peterson had quite a bit of tenacity in the tackle - getting 'stuck-in', it was just his passing/decisions from DM on the right side that let him down.

Although there was an overall distinct 'lack of leadership' & thus direction/communication towards the ball movement in the 2nd half (60 min) side, which comprised this formation:

Adelson ---- Ascroft ---- McGing ---- Neil
with ......... Berry ------- Peterson
the 2 holding midfielders sitting in front of them.
Fletcher ------- Kubi ------Fabio(shavedhead)
----------------------- Binger's -----------------------------

Would of liked to have seen Fletch and Bingo rotate a few times in the above roles, just to mix it up and keep the defenders guessing and also just to see how Fletch would go with a chance of pulling the trigger if it came.

Fletch has def. Lost those kgs he was carrying right up until the end of last season, but feel he could do with a few extra gym sessions to muscle up his upper body to aid in keeping/winning the ball.
- He's tall, just a bit too slight for mine.

If Okon's going to use him in that formation then Fletch needs that physicality & strength to emulate the 'handful' that Austin managed to be
...... when he wanted to ;)

Throw in Necevski spraying a few crazy sideliners/aerial shanks whilst trying to hit Neil or Adelson sweeper keepering when playing out.
- To be fair he wasn't helped on the back passes by a a barely percievable 'pitted pitch' that caused a slight 'bobble' at times. Apparently had a Rugby game or two played on it before hand.

✴ Adelson @ RB was the 'Stand-out' for mine of the 2nd half/60 min players, beating his man on runs down the right getting into the front third/corner and whipping balls in from corner/byline, being fouled - free kicks.

Shame he was stretchered off at the final whistle, and hope nothing major as prev. said.

Peterson also, however could be worth another look, but not quite sure 'where' on the pitch would best suit him ?

Last edited:

MagpieMariner

I thought there was too much passing back at times, sometimes hospital passes to Ivan leading him to shank his kicks. One particular instance Micky Neil had the ball in a bit of space, Pain was making a run in a LOT of space, Micky turned and passed it back into defence. If Micky had passed to Pain it could have been interesting. Some of the time I and those around me felt we were back with Mossy.

pjennings

Hi Pat,
Can you give us a run down on what you witnessed today.
Thanks mate

Was writing mine but Rowdy has it covered. As he said, Adelson, who only came on at the 60min mark was really making a mark. If Bingers had attacked the ball the way he should have we would have had an equaliser from one of Jake's crosses.

Faty and Posco looked very solid and composed at the back although Faty, at the back post, had some culpability for the goal. Monty and Powell also played well, while Tavares looked at times classy - but more often lazy. Trent and Connor worked hard but really gave very little end product and Roy seemed very isolated.

The last 30 mins worried me a lot in defence as Micky, McGing and Ascroft all used Ivan to help them out, Phoenix were pressing and Ivan was having a lot of trouble with the back passes on a decidedly bumpy pitch.

Coach

Was writing mine but Rowdy has it covered. As he said, Adelson, who only came on at the 60min mark was really making a mark. If Bingers had attacked the ball the way he should have we would have had an equaliser from one of Jake's crosses.

Faty and Posco looked very solid and composed at the back although Faty, at the back post, had some culpability for the goal. Monty and Powell also played well, while Tavares looked at times classy - but more often lazy. Trent and Connor worked hard but really gave very little end product and Roy seemed very isolated.

The last 30 mins worried me a lot in defence as Micky, McGing and Ascroft all used Ivan to help them out, Phoenix were pressing and Ivan was having a lot of trouble with the back passes on a decidedly bumpy pitch.

It wasn't the last 30mins it was the whole game! Get use to it all, this is Okon 101 - only go forward if there is no pressure on the second pass otherwise change the point of attack or go bacwards. You think Moss was conservative, you ain't seen nothing yet. Okon will happily hold possession amongst the backs all game. It's about patience. I hate it, and over the years he has shown there is No plan B

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred