• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Next CCM Manager

Gratis

Real Madrid great Guti has emerged as a high-profile contender for the vacant Central Coast Mariners coaching position.
By Dave Lewis
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/03/25/real-madrid-legend-guti-puts-hand-mariners-job
25 Mar 2018 - 8:49 PM UPDATED 1 HOUR AGO

With the struggling A-League club inundated with over 50 CVs since Paul Okon’s resignation last week, owner Mike Charlesworth has been made aware that the former Galactico turned Las Blancos under-19s mentor is surprisingly amongst them.

Hailed by former Santiago Bernabéu teammate Figo as a potential Pep Guardiola in the making, the 41-year-old led his Madrid’s youth team to a domestic treble last season, as well as the last eight of this season’s UEFA Youth League.

And his knowledge of youth development may be of particular interest to the Mariners, who have traditionally been an incubator of future stars such as Mat Ryan, Tom Rogic and Trent Sainsbury.

A flamboyant playmaker during his 24-years ascending all the age levels at his boyhood club, Guti played alongside Ronaldo, Zidane, Roberto Carlos, Raul and David Beckham in his pomp.

He retired in 2011, after a final season at Besiktas, having accumulated 14 career trophies over 542 games for Madrid, including three UEFA Champions Leagues and five La Liga titles.

Those already in the mix for the role vacated by Okon include former Mariners John Hutchinson and Tony Vidmar and ex-Newcastle Jets coach Scott Miller.

But the availability of Guti, who has been part of Real’s youth set up since 2013, is a tantalizing possibility.

Charlesworth, who is looking to make an appointment for next season, said: “There are an awful lot of candidates and there’s no hurry.

“We have time on our side and we’ll talk to a lot of people to find the one who is the best fit for us, whether it’s local or overseas.”

With FIFA to soon rule on Australia’s ongoing governance crisis and the prospect of a largely independently administered A-League a strong possibility, Charlesworth sees the club’s attractiveness growing expediently.

“I think if that comes to pass you’ll see more money flow to the clubs and we’ll all be able to broaden our horizons, including a higher calibre of coaches,” he added.

“There’s a list of criteria and one will be man management and communication skills, as well as building on the tradition of producing players who will one day go in to play in bigger competitions across the world.

“The interest we’re getting now might just be the tip of the iceberg.”

Okon’s departure, he said, was largely precipitated over dissatisfaction over a horror run of results.

But Charlesworth is also looking for something “more exciting in terms of style”.

“I don’t think we were playing a brand of football that excited people and you combine that with results, then what can you say?” he added.

“As far as a successor is concerned it’s really a blank canvas right now.

“We’re looking at anything and everything but I imagine we’ll end up with something very interesting.

“We want to be exciting but we also want to win games as well.

“We already have some of the best kids in the country and I see no reason why we shouldn’t be competitive.

“If these kids don’t step up then we’ll move on and find youngsters that do.

“I think we have to be smart and really shrewd going forward.

“We’ve made mistakes with visa players this year and we need to guard against that happening again.”

Charlesworth has shown in the past he isn’t afraid to up the ante, bringing in former Liverpool and Barcelona star Luis Garcia at the tail end of his career back in 2016.

Despite residual rumours of Celtic circling the Mariners with a view to a possible takeover, Charlesworth was adamant that no such interest exists.

“There’s never been any serious interest from anyone to buy us out, I can certainly confirm that,” he declared.

“I think that’s partly down to the operating model of the league. I think once we get to an independent structure it will attract a lot more interest and a lot more investment.

“It’s vital we get that independence, which would be great for all the clubs. Not just the Mariners.

“For me, selling is not a priority and not on the agenda right now but you never shut the door.”

Gratis

If this puts to bed investment rumours I do wonder Gatty's suggestion was all about still.
Could be smoke and mirrors, too, of course

Last edited:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The only things that would be positive that the fans would care about would be
- another investor
- management/ownership of the stadium
- more investment from Mike

I can't think of anything else. And all 3 of those seem unlikely, so I'm thinking Gatty's announcement ,if it exists, isn't as exciting as we think.
Anyway, reasonable article from Mike. I like that he's aware of the concerns with the overall playing style too.

pjennings

The only things that would be positive that the fans would care about would be
- another investor
- management/ownership of the stadium
- more investment from Mike

I can't think of anything else. And all 3 of those seem unlikely, so I'm thinking Gatty's announcement ,if it exists, isn't as exciting as we think.
Anyway, reasonable article from Mike. I like that he's aware of the concerns with the overall playing style too.

Tend to agree that those three are the only things that fans would be looking at. I think the second and third are unlikely but the first has possibilities but maybe not to the extent that it will excite the fans. Mike's quote that “There’s never been any serious interest from anyone to buy us out, I can certainly confirm that,” does not preclude any investment - it just says there has been no offers to buy him out.

I think Anton Tagliaferro will increase his role with the club. My vague understanding is that he has suggested certain things to the club concerning to the Academy in the last year. Anton is the owner of the AC Milan Soccer School Academy in Australia based in Sydney which caters for around 300 kids youngsters aged 7 to 16. He also supports Sydney FC's academy. "I like to support some of the talent coming through and give them the opportunities I didn't have as a boy." He also owns the Maltese club where Harry Ascroft went.

Anton is cashed up after selling some of his stake in Investors Mutual Limited to Natixis and no doubt could make an attractive buy out offer to Mike. However I suspect, if he is to make an investment, it will be more by increasing involvement with the Academy and links with Balzan FC.

Ancient Mariner

If you are looking at more money being available the telling line is:

"I think once we get to an independent structure it will attract a lot more interest and a lot more investment."

It is not a buy out that is on the cards but someone is waiting in the wings to invest and buy a share.

I live in hope.

Psycho Chicken

Despite residual rumours of Celtic circling the Mariners with a view to a possible takeover, Charlesworth was adamant that no such interest exists.

“There’s never been any serious interest from anyone to buy us out, I can certainly confirm that,” he declared.

Really? According to Lawrie McKinna "If Martin (Lee) really did buy an A-League club it was likely to turn out very well indeed for that club, but when we met with Shaun Mielekamp - CEO of the Mariners- it was quickly apparent that Mike Charlesworth didnae want to sell, so any negotiated price for the Mariners would be beyond what Martin wanted to pay."
So Martin Lee bought the Jets and it has worked out very well for them! Meanwhile we're stuck with moneyball Mike and his bullshit..

Ozhammer

I was watching Fox Sports last night and it reminded me of how pragmatic and insightful John Kosmina is. If we could persuade him to move to the coast, he might be a good fit for us.

He certainly knows how the game should be played and wouldn’t stand for any slacking. He also knows the league very well and would arguably be a drawcard for some players.

A little left field I know but we are supposed to not be leaving any stones unturned.

pjennings

I was watching Fox Sports last night and it reminded me of how pragmatic and insightful John Kosmina is. If we could persuade him to move to the coast, he might be a good fit for us.

He certainly knows how the game should be played and wouldn’t stand for any slacking. He also knows the league very well and would arguably be a drawcard for some players.

A little left field I know but we are supposed to not be leaving any stones unturned.

In his favour he is used to a small budget, community type club at Adelaide.

Big Al

Really? According to Lawrie McKinna "If Martin (Lee) really did buy an A-League club it was likely to turn out very well indeed for that club, but when we met with Shaun Mielekamp - CEO of the Mariners- it was quickly apparent that Mike Charlesworth didnae want to sell, so any negotiated price for the Mariners would be beyond what Martin wanted to pay."
So Martin Lee bought the Jets and it has worked out very well for them! Meanwhile we're stuck with moneyball Mike and his bullshit..
To be fair Martin was in a position of power at the negotiating table. Any price Mike would have wanted to name the answer would have always been but i can just buy the Jets for a couple of million (remember FFA owned them).

So selling when another asset of probably higher value was for sale cheap why would Mike sell.

Now look at the cost to get into the league. Roar and us are basket cases but want high prices to sell. Perth owner recently said i need a lot more than the AU sale which was $12m rumored. Everyone else has a solid ownership that is probably not selling and the Nix can’t sell as could loose there license

midfielder

Various media reporting that Guti has expressed an interest...

His CV is quite impressive although mostly at youth level...

One of the worlds greatest players in his day .... not sure what he is asking but his contacts and juniors and say under 21 players in Europe would be second to none....

Part of the 442 article...

Real Madrid legend and youth coach, Guti, has become a surprise candidate for the Central Coast Mariners vacant coaching position.
Guti - who is widely considered to be one of the greatest passers of the modern era - had a stellar career for the Galacticos, winning thee Champions League titles in over 500 appearances.

The midfielder has been linked with the vacant head coaching role, as the A-League's reputation grows as being a hot-bed for Spanish coaches attempting to kick-start their careers,

In 2013, Guti took charge of Real Madrid's u/19 side and led the team to a domestic treble last season. Former teammate Luis Figo called him a potential Pep Guardiola in the making.

Other prime candidates for the position include John Hutchinson, Scott Miller and Tony Vidmar, although Guti's high profile and stellar record in youth coaching could set him apart for Mariners CEO Mike Charlesworth.

Gratis

Lol no chance. Expect cheap and local
You never know. Club has talked about an experienced coach and they know this signing is critical. Also, as a career move, a coach may choose opportunity over money - especially if already rather well-to-do (as Guti would be).
I'd be excited by signing him but have no idea if he is what we need.

adz

Staff member
It keeps coming back to that point

giphy.gif

Psycho Chicken

To be fair Martin was in a position of power at the negotiating table. Any price Mike would have wanted to name the answer would have always been but i can just buy the Jets for a couple of million (remember FFA owned them).

So selling when another asset of probably higher value was for sale cheap why would Mike sell.

Now look at the cost to get into the league. Roar and us are basket cases but want high prices to sell. Perth owner recently said i need a lot more than the AU sale which was $12m rumored. Everyone else has a solid ownership that is probably not selling and the Nix can’t sell as could loose there license
Some good points there Big Al and I agree the Jets would be a more attractive option to Martin Lee than the Mariners. However, the Jets weren't sold for a couple of million. They went for a figure believed to be around 5.5m. If the Mariners had been offered for around 4m or 4.5m it may have been enough to tempt Lee and Charlesworth would have been able to at least recoup some of his money. Really, given the parlous state of our finances, you'd think he'd be grateful for someone just to take the club off his hands.
I guess my main point was when moneyball Mike said there's never been any serious interest, he's not being strictly honest. Furthermore I would say under his stewardship the club has become significantly less attractive to would be buyers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred