• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Next CCM Manager

Wombat

Some I can't say but I'm told of the 3 x 2 hr sessions a week. He used to attend 1 and leave Greedy in charge of the other 2.
I'd rather have a pissed off his head Farina than that bullshit.

Insertnamehere

Some I can't say but I'm told of the 3 x 2 hr sessions a week. He used to attend 1 and leave Greedy in charge of the other 2.
Explains alot..... 6 hours a wk.
Yet you listen to some of the comms games guys and they do 6 a day. Different sports I know but vastly different outcomes too.
No wonder players leave and talk about the difference in training.
Where do I sign up for that professional career?
FK me I'd imagine even NPL teams train that much.

Last edited:

Coast Football Ramble

Maybe we should ask @Coast Football Ramble to ask what the status on specifically trying to structure the COE/Club relationship so the two would not be held liable for each other's debt, but still couldn't be sold off in separate pieces by a future investor which was said on previous podcast.

I didn't see your post till this morning.
We actually got a friend to do some digging last night to find out this model.
He came back with some answers, and I'll ask if we can republish here.

scottmac

Suspended
Scotty,
Okon was on the nose.
Some of the stories surfacing are scary if true.
Jolic was a f**king mug and okon basically left him to run us....which is why we couldn't beat an egg.
The club had no choice but to force his ego to make him quit.
That comment I made was not about Okon or the merits of him staying or going It was purely to do with the ability to bring in the next manager. Okon is well liked in the football community. MC........ .. Yeah well. Even if there's truth in the club forcing his hand they've done it where they look like the bad guys. That's not conducive to getting the manager they are talking about. Anyone who you would put on a short list would look at what's happened and think twice about talking this job.
It's a cluster f**k even if the outcome is the right one.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Explains alot..... 6 hours a wk.
Yet you listen to some of the comms games guys and they do 6 a day. Different sports I know but vastly different outcomes too.
No wonder players leave and talk about the difference in training.
Where do I sign up for that professional career?
FK me I'd imagine even NPL teams train that much.
6 he's a week? What did miss ?
Heck even my AA8 team was 3- 4 hrs a week

Sorry Wombat, but that simply isn't true.
Having been to a number of sessions, knowing others who have and knowing/asking some people who are involved more directly in the sessions -

Okon was at (and took) every field session. Like any team, there will be parts of a session where the team is split up, or certain specifics are dealt with by a particular staff member (such as Jolic on Set Pieces), but Okon was present and in charge of every session.

TedShot

Having been to a number of sessions, knowing others who have and knowing/asking some people who are involved more directly in the sessions -

Okon was at (and took) every field session. Like any team, there will be parts of a session where the team is split up, or certain specifics are dealt with by a particular staff member (such as Jolic on Set Pieces), but Okon was present and in charge of every session.
Out of interest how often and how long were these sessions?

scottmac

Suspended

Like I said earlier it's ridiculous how all of a sudden Okon is to blame for everything that is bad and we've just left MC sitting on his throne untouched and not to blame at all for anything that's happened with the ex manager.

nebakke

Like I said earlier it's ridiculous how all of a sudden Okon is to blame for everything that is bad and we've just left MC sitting on his throne untouched and not to blame at all for anything that's happened with the ex manager.

Honestly - over the last week or two you have left me wondering what exactly it is that you're reading @scottmac - MC is hardly untouched anywhere - if he was anymore touched here, people would be starting to ask questions about the weird fetish-thing going on on this site ;)
Every thread, at some point, degrades to an ownership discussion thread here...

But Okon can't walk off without blame either though... We all saw the team performing reasonably well, early-on in the season... So clearly they have it in them... And we've seen his unwillingness to come up with an answer when the opposition recognised, and planned for, his plan A.
Not only that, but s*** like the stuff that Jolic was quoted for in the paper (whether correct or not) and the circumstances surrounding his departure, have done nothing to endear them to the fan base either I think.

Yep, it'd be nice if MC spend more money on the club, or sold it to some die-hard who would, or sold part of it to someone willing to invest... But it'd also be nice if the club didn't get sold to some consortium who want to move it away from the coast, so for now at least, he's what we have.

Out of interest how often and how long were these sessions?

I've seen maybe 15-20 sessions. The lengths varied. I can't speak to the actual programming of the sessions, but that would vary based on when the last game was/next one is etc.

While things weren't perfect, there was clear progress (with no more resources) across his tenure. I can't understand why people are now making stuff up (like the whole commute being an issue thing).

Last edited:

TedShot

I've seen maybe 15-20 sessions. The lengths varied. I can't speak to the actual programming of the sessions, but that would vary based on when the last game was/next one is etc.

While things weren't perfect, there was clear progress (with no more resources) across his tenure. I can't understand why people are now making stuff up (like the whole commute being an issue thing).
I disagree, I don’t think there was any form of clear progress, sure, intitially there was, but then so many players seemed to go backwards that we are right where we were under Walmsley. Shit at least the players didn’t seem to just give up under him. Okons system was found out immediately, that had nothing to do with resources, unless the lack of resources is talking about not having a notebook with more than one page to work out a game plan on.

With regards to training times.. I understand they varied, but is it as bad as what has been stated, were they only two hour sessions ever? Was it only a couple of days a week? Just trying to find out from someone who has been there how bad it really was.

But Okon can't walk off without blame either though... We all saw the team performing reasonably well, early-on in the season... So clearly they have it in them... And we've seen his unwillingness to come up with an answer when the opposition recognised, and planned for, his plan A.
Not only that, but s*** like the stuff that Jolic was quoted for in the paper (whether correct or not) and the circumstances surrounding his departure, have done nothing to endear them to the fan base either I think.

I disagree, I don’t think there was any form of clear progress, sure, intitially there was, but then so many players seemed to go backwards that we are right where we were under Walmsley. Shit at least the players didn’t seem to just give up under him. Okons system was found out immediately, that had nothing to do with resources, unless the lack of resources is talking about not having a notebook with more than one page to work out a game plan on.

As you both said, I think the team certainly showed early signs, before it dropped off in the middle of the season. Personally, I feel the lack of depth is the main thing that has hurt us, especially around January. We've all seen the stats about not having our visa players playing. At that time we lost De Silva, TBT, Appiah and Asdrubal and started having problems getting our best 11 on the park then (Wout suspensions etc.). That coincided with the drop-off.

I can't claim to have seen every A-League game this season, but how often has any team had a 'plan B'? All the teams make small adjustments throughout the game, but I can't recall many making big formation changes and it winning them games. Happy to be proven wrong though.

As for the Jolic thing, it's pretty normal where I'm from to see the assistant go with the coach. I'd have been surprised if he stayed.

With regards to training times.. I understand they varied, but is it as bad as what has been stated, were they only two hour sessions ever? Was it only a couple of days a week? Just trying to find out from someone who has been there how bad it really was.

Without timing them myself, the sessions I saw varied from a bit under an hour (say 50 mins) to 90 mins or so.
The 3x per week thing doesn't make sense though. We already know the team was given 4 days off twice in the season, so they could be the only times the team had 3 sessions. That happened during the split rounds and is considered quite normal when a team does very high training loads during a period without many games during the season (Okon said they were training hard, so that makes sense). From memory we won after that too, so it wasn't a bad decision.

Last edited:

Gratis

IWhile things weren't perfect, there was clear progress (with no more resources) across his tenure.
Just on this point - there was clear progress to a point. At that point there was absolutely no further progress, specifically because the plan was precisely the same every single game with no flexibility or variation. Every other coach had us worked out and defeated before a ball was kicked in anger. Even non-football background people could see it, but for some reason Okon couldn't. Lack of depth certainly cost us games. But we didn't come good once the squad was back to full.
I do thank him for the progress we did make. However, it became counter-productive without any flexibility and thus had to change or end.

Lack of depth certainly cost us games. But we didn't come good once the squad was back to full.

We have played 8 games since De Silva and TBT returned.
We only had Wout, Tom and Baro available for 1 of them.
We won that game.

Last edited:

Gratis

I don't buy that as being the difference. I agree lack of depth cost us games. Indeed I said during pre-season, on here, that lack of depth would lose us a whole bunch of games that we should win and would be something we'd just have to wear. I still maintain that would have happened regardless of tactics.

Wout, Tom and Baro are clearly our top players. That said, we have enough quality in the squad with one or two of them out to still win some games. Certainly more than 4.

And unless one knows absolutely nothing about the game what unfolded over the season is as clear as day. We ran the same passing patterns, structure and game plan game after game after game, and regardless of personnel or how the game was going. In short - every time we got possession the opposition had no trouble setting their defence accordingly and then we tried to crack through a 9 or 10 man defence designed to shut down our passing structures. [*Edit: we did actually try something different in the first half of the WSW game. It didn't work but at least we tried].

Fine to not have a plan B if it worked occasionally. In the first 3rd of the season we lost a lot of games due to bad luck. Definitely, heartbreakingly. Then we got hammered by depth issues. Absolutely. But in the last half to third of the season it was the same playbook, again and again against oppositions who knew exactly how to shut it down.
When you then see absolutely no variation in tactics at that point - that's on the coach.

Last edited:

Wombat

There has been a lot of gossip about Okon over the last few years.....most of it was not positive. How much of it is true, I have no idea.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred