• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Next CCM Manager

Insertnamehere

Some good points there Big Al and I agree the Jets would be a more attractive option to Martin Lee than the Mariners. However, the Jets weren't sold for a couple of million. They went for a figure believed to be around 5.5m. If the Mariners had been offered for around 4m or 4.5m it may have been enough to tempt Lee and Charlesworth would have been able to at least recoup some of his money. Really, given the parlous state of our finances, you'd think he'd be grateful for someone just to take the club off his hands.
I guess my main point was when moneyball Mike said there's never been any serious interest, he's not being strictly honest. Furthermore I would say under his stewardship the club has become significantly less attractive to would be buyers.
If MC is in for $9 ish mill to the club I'd say he would want that plus some, easily double what jets cost.

nebakke

Somehow I find myself somewhat defending MC again but...

I strongly disagree that the club is a less interesting prospect under Mike that it was before him - considering the amount of debt that we were saddled with after the Arnie era... Results looked good, definitely, but the only competition int he purchase at the time, was effectively looking to shut the club down on the coast and move everything to South Melbourne... We were interesting as a fire-sale item then.
Now, we're potentially interesting as a - mostly - financially stable prospect with performance issues. But bearing in mind the financial nature - and expected lack of returns - that comes with investing in a football club, I think a non-performing club which is more-or-less financially balanced, would be a much more interesting subject to one of those millionaire guys who wants to try their hand at winning that one trophy that daddy couldn't buy, to fill the void of having done 'everything else'.

I also think that it's sort of funny how we seem to be going for the eat-the-cake-and-have-it approach to MC. I don't think he's anyone's favorite person, but I think he's had enough opportunity to back out of a poor investment that he at least deserves a little bit of credit for not having dropped us like a hot potato at the first sign of alternative investers... I know, I know - COE-money-making-venture - but I doubt that that's going to be the thing that suddenly shows this club as a major profit-making venture... If we're lucky, it'll stabilize the income and MC will recoup the outgoings that he's already pushed into the club, but surely he'd have to be a complete mad-man to run this thing in the hopes of hitting the jackpot the day he could potentially sell off the COE. That is ignoring how he said on the podcast that he was specifically trying to structure the COE/Club relationship so the two would not be held liable for each other's debt, but still couldn't be sold off in separate pieces by a future investor.

It's just - we seem to want a new owner because we doubt the honest commitment of the current guy, to the club. And so, we complain about the current owner being unwilling to sell and recoup the worst of his expenses, because he doesn't want to let go of the club/CoE.

/rant

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
So, Guti is the latest to hit the rumor mill....would be his first senior team anywhere I believe ! But can’t see him coming here though...

pjennings

Some good points there Big Al and I agree the Jets would be a more attractive option to Martin Lee than the Mariners. However, the Jets weren't sold for a couple of million. They went for a figure believed to be around 5.5m. If the Mariners had been offered for around 4m or 4.5m it may have been enough to tempt Lee and Charlesworth would have been able to at least recoup some of his money. Really, given the parlous state of our finances, you'd think he'd be grateful for someone just to take the club off his hands.
I guess my main point was when moneyball Mike said there's never been any serious interest, he's not being strictly honest. Furthermore I would say under his stewardship the club has become significantly less attractive to would be buyers.

I would disagree. There are now more assets attached to the club. The Jets have the license and that is it as far as assets are concerned. If Mike sold for $4m when the Jets sold for $5.5m you are effectively saying you can have the license at same price and Mike will let you have the land and buildings at the COE for nothing and will give you a rebate of $1.5m on the license.

priorpeter

I would disagree. There are now more assets attached to the club. The Jets have the license and that is it as far as assets are concerned. If Mike sold for $4m when the Jets sold for $5.5m you are effectively saying you can have the license at same price and Mike will let you have the land and buildings at the COE for nothing and will give you a rebate of $1.5m on the license.

COE is not attached to the club. Completely separate entity.

pjennings

COE is not attached to the club. Completely separate entity.
Maybe at the moment but as @nebakke quoted Mike as specifically trying to structure the COE/Club relationship so the two would not be held liable for each other's debt, but still couldn't be sold off in separate pieces by a future investor.

Reactions: adz

VicMariner

Maybe at the moment but as @nebakke quoted Mike as specifically trying to structure the COE/Club relationship so the two would not be held liable for each other's debt, but still couldn't be sold off in separate pieces by a future investor.
I hope that is true for two reasons:
1) We were all led to believe our future financial stability is in the COE.
2) I forget what 2 was.

pjennings

I hope that is true for two reasons:
1) We were all led to believe our future financial stability is in the COE.
2) I forget what 2 was.

Maybe we should ask @Coast Football Ramble to ask what the status on specifically trying to structure the COE/Club relationship so the two would not be held liable for each other's debt, but still couldn't be sold off in separate pieces by a future investor which was said on previous podcast.

Ozhammer

Mike was gambling that the new TV deal grant would do the heavy lifting and wanted $8M for the licence as I heard it, so the Chinese money was always going to head up the F3, where there is a larger ready and waiting football market.

Capt. Awesome

On the lastest Fox football podcast they said MC is looking at buying other clubs around the world to feed juniors into us. That’s why Okon wanted out.

Big Al

On the lastest Fox football podcast they said MC is looking at buying other clubs around the world to feed juniors into us. That’s why Okon wanted out.
Because that’s where we need his spare money going.
Find some oil before you become the City the group.

In a more serious note we do need to branch out to get better quality youth. We have the coast which is not as strong through population and next up is SFC, WSW and Jets scraps and some of those probably prefer to stay in Sydney and play for there clubs as it’s hard to move here so young if you don’t have the necessary drive.

While Cahn copped some heat for having a few Queenslanders what is wrong with that. They all seemed quality players. If they were good enough to make it to the next levels is debatable but they weren’t playing in front of anybody of a higher quality.

The loss of having Western Sydney to cherry pick means we need to have a better system and a wider net.

It’s not one of the worst ideas you will hear from MC

Insertnamehere

Because that’s where we need his spare money going.
Find some oil before you become the City the group.

In a more serious note we do need to branch out to get better quality youth. We have the coast which is not as strong through population and next up is SFC, WSW and Jets scraps and some of those probably prefer to stay in Sydney and play for there clubs as it’s hard to move here so young if you don’t have the necessary drive.

While Cahn copped some heat for having a few Queenslanders what is wrong with that. They all seemed quality players. If they were good enough to make it to the next levels is debatable but they weren’t playing in front of anybody of a higher quality.

The loss of having Western Sydney to cherry pick means we need to have a better system and a wider net.

It’s not one of the worst ideas you will hear from MC
Best players you can get your hands on.
If the club wants a local quota it should form tighter alignments with the local clubs so as to help direct their skill acquisition programs until the kids are old enough for CCMA.

Last edited:

Wombat

I guess this fits in with Sean's comments about improving our scouting network ? As Big Al says, "its not one of the worst ideas you hear from MC"....

More fluff and dreams from a man that refuses to fund the club properly. Get the basics right first Tiger before you dream of a string of under-financed basket case teams around the world.:naughty:

FFC Mariner

I guess this fits in with Sean's comments about improving our scouting network ? As Big Al says, "its not one of the worst ideas you hear from MC"....

More fluff and dreams from a man that refuses to fund the club properly. Get the basics right first Tiger before you dream of a string of under-financed basket case teams around the world.:naughty:

Im going to go out on a limb and suggest that he has no more intention or ability to buy an overseas club than I do

Wombat

I'm sure there's more too it but f**k me you don't take on a role where that's the conditions.

Scotty,
Okon was on the nose.
Some of the stories surfacing are scary if true.
Jolic was a f**king mug and okon basically left him to run us....which is why we couldn't beat an egg.
The club had no choice but to force his ego to make him quit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred