• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

New Mariners Coach?

Roy Law

Lawrie's decision is the right thing (without knowing how much he was leaned on) for the club that he loves so much. Whether Arnie is the right man I will allow time to judge. It is pretty clear from what Lawrie said on Fox Sports FC that most players off contract will not be retained. Boogs, Heff, Redders and Dappuzzo have gone; Clarky now retired; Elrich,McAllister and Travis won't be retained.  It would not surprise me if McGlinchey doesn't return and/or if Doig returns to UK.
I am expecting Michael Beauchamp, Scot Chipperfield, Joshua Rose and Ruben Zadkovich (LoL) to be on Arnie's shopping list.
And, seriously, how can the club recruit for next season if Arnie isn't available til July?

Tassiemariner

Roy Law said:
.....I am expecting Michael Beauchamp, Scot Chipperfield, Joshua Rose and Ruben Zadkovich (LoL) to be on Arnie's shopping list......
Think we could fit all of them under the salary cap?
i know Elrich, Dmac and heff would of been on a bit of coin but surely we couldn't afford all 4 of them, barely be able to afford 2.

marinerbhoy

Jerome said:
im keeping my trap shut, ill give him some slack to see what happens after 1st quarter next season

So you are going to give a new manager what, 10 or so games to decide whether he is good not with a new team? It will take a good season to implement any changes, esp considering how drastically different the squad will be next year. You realise any finals football next year will be a miracle. I am glad people like you don't make any decisions.

adz

Staff member
Bad move IMO. Should have gotten Jozef Jankech. Far superior resume to both LM and GA put together. Just look at the number of teams he has managed.

Jankech was one of the few Slovak football globetrotters. He trained in foreign several exotic teams such as Kuala Lumpur, Qatar Sports Club or twice in national team of Maldives. Jankech starting his managerial career as ending player in Czech team T Třinec. Then followed stage in Koice  where he trained at first VSS Koice and then Lokomotva Koice. In 1980 coming the first foreign job in Cyprian team Nea Salamina Larnaka. Jankech also trained Czechoslovakia olympic team. Meanwhile he was coach in TTS Trenčn.

On July 4, 1995 he became the second Slovak football trainer after Jozef Venglo. Jankech completed two qualification's cycles, first at EURO 96 and second at World Cup 98. He achieved several very good results against strong opponents such as victories over Czech Republic, Poland and Croatia at the friendly match and draws against France and Yugoslavia. He failed to progress at the championship.

Jankech won SAFF Championship in 2008 with Maldives. It was the best success of Maldivian national team in history.

On December 2008, Jankech moved to Dukla Bansk Bystrica.

1966-1973 T Tr(inec
1973-1975 VSS Koice
1975-1976 Lokomotva Koice
1976-1978 Strojrne Martin
1978-1980 Lokomotva Koice
1980-1983 Nea Salamina
1983-1985 Lokomotva Koice
1985-1987 ZVL ilina
1985-1987 Czechoslovakia olympic team
1987-1988 TTS Trenc(n
1988-1990 K Slovan Bratislava
1990-1991 Kuala Lumpur FA
1991- ..... Jednota VSS Koice
1991-1992 Inter Bratislava
1993- ..... Slovan Pol(nonkup Levice
1993-1994 Qatar SC
1994-1995 Slovan Levice
1995-1998 Slovakia
1998-1999 ZT(S Dubnica
1999-2001 Maldives
2001-2004 ZT(S Dubnica
2005-2007 K Slovan Bratislava
2007-2008 Maldives
2008-2010 Dukla Bansk Bystrica
2011-2049 Central Coast Mariners

Forum Phoenix

lol
DV...
A tribute by ADZ.

As to Arnold.
We know the bad, and yes we may well be about to get even more familiar with it...

But I for one DO trust our club, so I'm going to back them in this until it proves to be a disaster... which of course I'm hoping it won't.

I followed the Asian Cup debacle, I'm well aware of the coaching and selection gripes, but to be fair, Arnold also had a squad with players like bloody Viduka and others f**king whining and really not even wanting to be there... and I think this was disgraceful and shot us in the foot more than anything.  I still believe we truly lost over there because the team LACKED passion and commitment in representing their country much more than any coaching issues. At the least I don't think Arnold lacked commitment... I just don't think he knew how to manage the situation he found himself in.

I confess though that I am not familiar with Arnold in the NSL days.
But people do change, and ten years is a long time in football...

So I am going to put forward a few positive points to this appointment to try and lift some hopes and get us moving into the season in a good healthy head space...

Last year some of our negativity was pretty abysmal even in pre season and even then persisting while we were third on the ladder... And I honestly don't think it helped our team one little bit.

Do I think it damaged it?

If I'm honest, yeah I do think it did, to a degree.

Thankfully the active support, despite some obvious snipes and bickering on here, has made some important public steps in the right direction as a supporter group this year. If you can get a whole bay doing that... Going to just be WILD!

EPIC derby win and Clarkey send off went a long way to putting us back on track I hope, and laughing away some of the old pain.

But anyway... on Arnie... The positives...

1) HUNGRY

Surely cannot be a man in OZ with more to prove as a coach than GA?? Personally I hate complacency in a coach and like a driven man.

2) Experience... (Hear me out)

Can't believe you can be around Hiddink, Pim and the international coaching scene without picking a fair few things up.  Even living through the horror of something like that Asian campaign can cause massive growth in a person - should he be able to handle the pressure of the a league? I'd say so.

3) CONNECTIONS - Despite criticisms to the contrary I've heard, you would have to be naive to think he will have none. And any he brings are all new additions and a bonus from our current point of view. I also believe that his close association with the Aussie team will have new emerging young players keen to play under him. I don't know this to be fact, but wouldn't at all be surprised if this was one of the reasons we were able to secure this 16 year old from the AIS for next season.

People know we are going to have the CEO - and now also the coach who has been in favour with national team is in charge... It makes us more attractive prospect for talented young players imo.

4) RESOURCES. This is not Arnold brings as such - but as a new coach, I'd be surprised if the club isn't going to dig into their wallets a little more now and pull out a few stops for him... ie; give him the full cap and a marquee next season. Clearly that would be good news for us as supporters.

5) We needed a change. Many have asked for one. We now have one.

If anyone has any more positives to add feel free...
:-*  ;D
:popcorn:

Blair

Yep I agree his connections will be huge and I hope will bring back player from overseas I'm sure Cahill would great But in sayin that he will be a wake up call to  the coach we are used to a arrogent c**t mabye foster 4 assistent  :thumbup:

Forum Phoenix

Because everyones been missing him...

"This is Arnold we're talking about, FFS. He sums up everything wrong with our local coaches. Just another reason to continue our battles against the coaching establishment in this country, and push for real change- change that everyone in football believes in!"

This is DV on 442  :eek:verhead:
:piralaugh: :piralaugh: :piralaugh:

I'm on 442 regularly, DV rarely posts at all... BUT when the new coach topic came up...

He came out flying...

"Think of what it will do to this league? It's as good as it's ever been in terms of players, but the coaches in this league (for most part) are some of the worst of any professional league I've seen. It won't get better with muppets like Arnold getting jobs."

"Let me ask this- would you tolerate mediocrity in ANY business? Accepting it in our league, like any other field of endeavour, is like termites to wood."

he problem from the start of the A-League was a lack of imagination in appointing coaches. And when they did appoint coaches from abroad, they only appointed proven duds! Arnold just continues that trend.

Branko Culina's "50 bucks" rant was childish and pathetic but he missed the point entirely- we want quality overseas coaches here because we want local coaches to improve. The current crop have failed miserably.

"Yes it won't be a step forward in footballing terms.
We need managers who above all can implement the principles of Michels, Nicholson, Greenwood, Clough, Docherty, Atkinson, etc and play it the right way."

What I want in a coach is both a decent football philosophy and a proven track record overseas. And neither has been brought in.

"Because it's the truth? Many of us can coach better than half the muppets in our league, FFS."

And to finish it up... a rebuttal response to DV's many posts...

"Destructive influence? B*llshit. He's been on the ground as part of the national team set up for 10 years - we've qualified for two World Cups in that time, with two very difference coaches, under very different circumstances.

You're underestimating his importance, and because of that you're retarded...or are you a snot-nosed punk...which one is it?"

LMAO
:tv:

serious14

I seriously think DV whacks it to old footage of Clough sending out a 2-3-5 back in the day....

Look, the guy has a point. Arnold is shit, we all know this. Problem is, he makes the point in such a forcefully over-the-top way as to be laughable. I'm also not sure if he realises that football tactics are cyclical - I shudder to think how angry he'll be in a few years time when out and out strikers are a thing of the past and 4-6-0 is the order of the day....

dibo

Epic bump.

There's some hilarious reading in this thread. Tom Sermanni with his hands full is just the start.

Ancient Mariner

I seriously think DV whacks it to old footage of Clough sending out a 2-3-5 back in the day....

Look, the guy has a point. Arnold is shit, we all know this. Problem is, he makes the point in such a forcefully over-the-top way as to be laughable. I'm also not sure if he realises that football tactics are cyclical - I shudder to think how angry he'll be in a few years time when out and out strikers are a thing of the past and 4-6-0 is the order of the day....

Whatever happened to the doom and gloom Mr Serious?
Probably got lost in his own black cloud.

yellowcake

Actually dibo, laughs aside, I'm mortified that you saw fit to bump this thread back into todays public domain from its dusty attic of 2 years ago. Don't you think that Arnie or the boys might read or be told about stuff on the forum? I'm sure at the time Arnie was aware of some anti-sentiment in the Australian football community (so had something to prove) but did we need to revisit the venom of some of our own passionate fans - notably FFC mariner and midfielder?

OK, there was a few positive cries in the wilderness, including from respected football brains...
With all his experience now Arnold would make an excellent A-League coach despite his Spirit history almost a decade ago.

Kosmina would be an unmitigated disaster. We would be pumping in the first season but then it would be FAIL.
I agree with mick. At this level with his experience he would be very, very capable and far superior to most if not every other HAL coach. Don't confuse his NT coaching history with him (possibly, maybe, who knows) now coaching a HAL club. Two very different animals.

I can't even recall if I posted around that time in this thread or elsewhere. I know I was sad to see Likeable Lawrie go after 5 seasons, then one of only two surviving inaugural A-League coaches and having taken us to a premiership, 3 finals series appearances, 2 GFs as well as being awarded the A-League coach of the season in his first year. But I was prepared to judge Arnie on his performance.

Surely Arnie is a shoe-in for coach of the season this year. He probably would, if it had not been for the phenomenal performance of Ange / Brisbane last year, been awarded it in his first A-League season too.

Ironically, it's Arnie's success that has resulted in the intense speculation that we wont have him for the last year of his 3 season contract (which the knockers were so concerned about...)
Let the record show my feelings on that

MrCelery

Will stay silent and judge on results. A lot to live up to though - tough gig.

Glad I started as a neutral!

In taking that stance I weighed up Arnie's previous creds with the national teams. Not just the poor results (now seemingly judged more fairly in a fuller historical context), but also the massive learning curve he would have benefited from under Hiddink, etc.

Hindsight shows it was a terrific decision by the Club to ignore the doubters and give Arnie a chance to fill Lawrie's very big shoes.

Ultimately Arnie has had the last laugh over the 'Arnold Out' brigade.

IMO I doubt Arnie would be offended or surprised by this thread. And he probably would have a wry smile and a great deal of satisfaction if he ever had time to read the old posts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred