• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

New Mariners Coach?

dibo

Actually dibo, laughs aside, I'm mortified that you saw fit to bump this thread back into todays public domain from its dusty attic of 2 years ago. Don't you think that Arnie or the boys might read or be told about stuff on the forum? I'm sure at the time Arnie was aware of some anti-sentiment in the Australian football community (so had something to prove) but did we need to revisit the venom of some of our own passionate fans - notably FFC mariner and midfielder?

Mortified? I think it's a laugh. If we can't bring up what was predicted and laugh it off, I think we're taking life a little too seriously.

There's nothing better than seeing a bloke told he can't do something and him just going out and proving the knockers wrong.

ExiledMariner

Actually dibo, laughs aside, I'm mortified that you saw fit to bump this thread back into todays public domain from its dusty attic of 2 years ago. Don't you think that Arnie or the boys might read or be told about stuff on the forum? I'm sure at the time Arnie was aware of some anti-sentiment in the Australian football community (so had something to prove) but did we need to revisit the venom of some of our own passionate fans - notably FFC mariner and midfielder?
If he didn't care then why would he care now? I'm sure he only needs to read a few of the recent threads to realise what we think of him. And the players well most of them weren't here when the thread was started so why would they care?

I thought it was funny and a good insight into the doubts we had at his signing. My first reaction was surely we could do better and in hindsight he's been the best thing to happen to the club.

marinermick

So hypothetically speaking, if you were Arnie and an offer came in from Sydney too big to refuse. What would you do?

cbowden9000

So hypothetically speaking, if you were Arnie and an offer came in from Sydney too big to refuse. What would you do?

Choose job satisfaction over money and stay at the Mariners, not having to deal with the unnecessary pressure of being a coach at Sydney and having to re-build an entire squad to my liking again.

That's more hope than anything though! :(

shipwreck

The only reason I could see Arnie leaving us for another A-league club would be "Guus Hiddink" syndrome, where the coach gets an ego complex and falls in love with re-building struggling clubs/countries

Don't think Arnie gives a shit what people think about him tbh so this is unlikely

pjennings

It depends on his future plans. If he plans to stay in the HAL for a long time he may choose to go to somewhere that will pay him a lot more than we can. Howvever, if he is a bit more ambitious, which I think he is, I think continuing to mould the Mariners may be better for his overseas prospects.

ElleCee

Choose job satisfaction over money and stay at the Mariners, not having to deal with the unnecessary pressure of being a coach at Sydney and having to re-build an entire squad to my liking again.

That's more hope than anything though! :(

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Muppet

If I was Graham I would be sticking with the Mariners until something substantial cam up overseas. Money is not everything. I tossed in a very lucrative high paying job. I did it because I hated the hours, the pressure, the bull shi& and travel. I work from home now, struggle to pay the bills at time but couldn't be happier. I'm the master of my own destiny which I think Graham is in the same boat at the moment with the club.

Remember that Arnie is asking the younger players to hang around and develop. I am sure he practices what he preaches. Besides why would he want to move to somewhere like Sydney FC where job security is non existent, there are no dedicated club training facilities other than shared ones and a fickle fan base. I don't think he would suit the club TBH.

dibo

I'd guess he'll take on the challenge.

Take on the basketcase and look to build a winning culture and a real club mentality.

He's sure to want to win the league and grand final with us, but I think after that he's going to want to show he can win in the viper pit.

Nathan Byrn

Job security is very important.

Many people including myself were sceptical of Arnold's appointment. Of the players I have spoken to since his appointment they were generally shocked about how far he has developed but more importantly how much he has changed as a person.
The majority of the squad believe he is the best coach they have ever had. No disrespect to Laurie but GA has taken the players (obviously) to a new level.

dibo

I think if Arnie went, you could look forward to Phil Moss stepping up to manager, with Walmsley assisting. That wouldn't be so bad, and I reckon we'd do just fine.

We wouldn't have the problem if this deal with the Russians came through, but as time ticks by it seems like another one that won't happen.

If we don't get a buyer pretty damn soon, I think the FFA would be looking for someone other than Turnbull to hold the licence rather than someone other than Arnie to manage us.

pjennings

Another disturbing article :ashamed:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/adelaide-joins-race-for-arnold/story-e6frg7mf-1226257711841

Adelaide joins race for Arnold by: Ray Gatt From: The Australian January 31, 2012 12:00AM

ADELAIDE United is understood to be ready to join the race to sign the much-sought-after Graham Arnold as coach for next season.
While Adelaide officials were quick to reject the idea, speculation was rife yesterday that the Reds are looking at teaming the Central Coast Mariners boss with current caretaker coach John Kosmina, who is being lined up as United's director of football.

A short-priced favourite to win the A-League coach-of-the-year award after helping the Mariners open a 10-point lead at the top of the table, Arnold is understandably in huge demand. His name is also linked to the jobs at Sydney FC, Melbourne Victory, Scottish Premier League club St Johnstone and several clubs in Asia.

Arnold still has a year to go on his contract but is understood to be owed a considerable amount of money by Central Coast.

...He has done a magnificent job of coaching at club level since standing down as Socceroos assistant several years ago.

In his first season with the Mariners he guided it to within 30 seconds of the title, only to see his side fall in a penalty shoot-out to Brisbane Roar after leading 2-1 in the dying seconds of extra time.

Given that many experts predicted the Mariners would not recover mentally from the devastation of the defeat plus the club experiencing severe financial difficulties -- the players received late payment of wages at various stages -- the club was expected to finish nearer the bottom than the top of the table this season.

However, Arnold has been the glue that has kept the players and club together, instilling trust and belief while getting the side to play a neat, well organised and entertaining brand of football.

Adelaide chairman Greg Griffin said his club would not be doing anything regarding the coaching position until the end of the season.

"There is nothing happening with Graham Arnold," Griffin said. "We have a handshake agreement with Kossie until the end of the season and we will look at things after that."

With Vitezslav Lavicka not expected to be at Sydney FC after this season, the Sky Blues have been mentioned as favourite to secure Arnold's services, though, contrary to some reports, it is understood he has not had any approaches from the club.

Melbourne Victory could also be in the frame following the axing of Mehmet Durakovic last month. Ulsterman Jim Magilton is in a caretaker role with the club until the end of this season.

Arnold was also linked to St Johnstone last October after the Scottish Sun newspaper reported he had "thrown his hat in the ring".

Arnold, who did not return calls yesterday, later denied seeking the job at the Scottish club, saying at the time that it was the first he had heard of it.

An Arnold-Kosmina partnership would be highly appealing and very workable. They have been mates a long time, stretching back to their playing days with the Socceroos in the 1980s.

Kosmina is very knowledgeable and has a great insight into the game. He also worked very well as Arnold's assistant with the Socceroos before Pim Verbeek took the job.

midfielder

If he is unpaid then he could walk if it is a breech of contract.... he could also take a number of players with him....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred