• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mulvey's gotta...go?

Should Mulvey go?

• Yes

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters

joe bailey

I’ll put on my tin foil hat for this theory. A post was made a couple of weeks ago on twitter by the official Canberra A-League Bid. It reads as follows:

AMAZING NEWS!

Yesterday we met with the @FFA to discuss the future of the bid.

A consensus was reached on the activities required for the bid to be included in the @ALeague from the 2020/21 season.

We are confident the requirements the will be met!”

Basically saying they have a foot in the door but not revealing what is required of them by the FFA. With Charlesworth in Australia for 7 weeks (the longest since be bought the club?), what are the chances the licence is being sold to Canberra.

The bid's backers are an overseas sports consortium who are coming to Australia to meet FFA officials next month.

You could be on the money. So what's that mean for the Mariners?

pjennings

I’ll put on my tin foil hat for this theory. A post was made a couple of weeks ago on twitter by the official Canberra A-League Bid. It reads as follows:

AMAZING NEWS!

A consensus was reached on the activities required for the bid to be included in the @ALeague from the 2020/21 season.

Basically saying they have a foot in the door but not revealing what is required of them by the FFA. With Charlesworth in Australia for 7 weeks (the longest since be bought the club?), what are the chances the licence is being sold to Canberra.

The Canberra bid at the time said it was unrelated to any other existing club - but this is a quote from a story at the time:-

"Canberra would have to cover its costs until the next broadcast deal in 2022 which would be around $13 million annually.
Canberra want to win a licence in their own right but something undeniably working in their favour is the looming demise of the Wellington Phoenix.
To extend their licence past next season Wellington have been set metrics around crowds and television numbers which they're almost no chance of hitting.
In a best case scenario Canberra would form a 13-team competition in the 2020-21 season but the reality is if they're successful they'll likely be replacing the Phoenix."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...to-join-a-league-in-2020-20181221-p50np1.html

To me that opens up a possibility of a 12 team comp from 2020-21 and a subsequent 2nd Brisbane and Dandenong area soon after.

Ancient Mariner

I do not see the Nux getting the chop being related to a new licence unless it is important to balance the comp. which no one is worrying about next year.
The Nux may get the chop, but if they do their licence becomes null and void.
A new club replacing the Nux pays the HAL the fee ($10m-$20) to join.
I cannot see licences becoming transferable.

turbo

I don’t think many of the conspiracy theories are that far fetched but the only thing that gives me any peace of mind is what a Pandora’s box it would be to allow Charlesworth to sell just the license or sell and relocate. If they let him cash out to Canberra on his terms what happens when the next cashed up Southern Expansion or other consortium hits up the nix or jets or say roar if a second south qld team comes in?

The whole thing becomes a mess very quickly and possibly an expensive legal mess if one club is allowed to do it and another isn’t when the owner gets bored or their worth takes a hit.

joe bailey

AMAZING NEWS!

sorry so you mean Mariners licence will be sold to canberra? and there will be no more CCM?

pjennings

I don't buy it..the NIX are still more logical for Canberra
But what happens after that.

Sacking the coach may help people feel good for a few weeks but as @FFC Mariner points out on another thread it just leads to another rinse and repeat. Our problems are much deeper than the coach

This constant rebooting of the same failed plan must surely be ringing alarm bells somewhere?

Hypothesis:
We continue losing, Mulvey leaves the club, an interim coach is put in place, no new signings in January as we want to give the new coach (when appointed) a free hand.
Get spoon
New coach in off season
Hype and lies start again.
Collection of has beens and new coach's mates get signed
Meanwhile, whatever half decent youth we have (Glassock, Kekeris, Nisbett) leave for clubs that value them

We have bigger problems and a growing HAL and an independent HAL means they have to be addressed soon as a matter of urgency. A coach change is small fry. I do see licenses as being transferable under an independent HAL

Charlesworth has decisions to make around an independent HAL

If Charlesworth wants to sell the license with an independent HAL and with the bidding process having increased he will have a chance to recoup some of his losses.

If he wants to stay an independent HAL should, by all accounts, offer a better investor environment. He may be able to attract other investors,like Singo/Denny/Tagliaferro/Djamirze/ Von Schmauder

Finally he may want to keep control. This makes no sense if he keeps devaluing his own brand.

Investment time is now - whether it is by Charlesworth or others can be debated. Without it the Mariners will be a distant memory that we will bore our grand kids about when we regale the tales of past glories.

Last edited:

joe bailey

I think that's the inference, yeah. Entertaining that thought is tough :(
Makes a bit of sense yiu know. All these ex ais/Canberra coaches who've come into mariners now, mind you, they haven't coached for 5 years I believe! Bringing with then their archaic, prehistoric ways!! I'm devo.

Forum Phoenix

I don’t think many of the conspiracy theories are that far fetched but the only thing that gives me any peace of mind is what a Pandora’s box it would be to allow Charlesworth to sell just the license or sell and relocate. If they let him cash out to Canberra on his terms what happens when the next cashed up Southern Expansion or other consortium hits up the nix or jets or say roar if a second south qld team comes in?

The whole thing becomes a mess very quickly and possibly an expensive legal mess if one club is allowed to do it and another isn’t when the owner gets bored or their worth takes a hit.

Not to mention the incredible disruption and uproar that would follow.

I’m not happy with my club at all right now, but I’ll fight tooth and nail for it if they tried to sell us off.

Also it’s not good for the league to lose us an cannibalise it’s own. Much better to expand and grow. Which is why the Product has grown so stale and is a much bigger concern than CCM’s terrible on field performances.

I dont see us going anywhere. But we desperately need to improve on the park before we lose the rest of our core membership,

Last edited:

Rowdy

Does it annoy anyone else that Mulvey doesn't even know how to pronounce Hiariej's name?

I mean seriously, that's got to be interpreted as a slap in the face to the man, as well as subtle digs like "he is in the right frame of mind... Now"
Haha, texted this response to a mate of mine who sent me the link to that interview:

Ass-hat still cant pronounce his fcuking name properly !!

- This would be my first question to him:

" Mike.... to anyone on the outside looking in at the Mariner's, the fact that you as the Coach - repeatedly mis-pronounce your best players name correctly, perhaps says a lot more about the fact that your not playing him .... despite him telling people on the streets of Gosford that he's fit & ready to play.

- what's your excuse for failing to pronounce his name properly ?? "

- & for failing to play him ??

Ancient Mariner

Does it annoy anyone else that Mulvey doesn't even know how to pronounce Hiariej's name?

I mean seriously, that's got to be interpreted as a slap in the face to the man, as well as subtle digs like "he is in the right frame of mind... Now"

Oh bugger, I thought Tommy Herage was a new player we signed in the window.

Rowdy

The Bio of that NBN journo that interviewed him states she has '15 years of journalism experience'.

She sounded like a Year10 kid on work experience, mish-mashing her questions, enabling Mulvey to weave around the important issues she half-arsedly posed to him.

She asked a few of the Boys from Bay16 for an interview but they declined. So much for the hard-hitting interview she promised them. :-|

turbo

She sounded like a Year10 kid on work experience, mish-mashing her questions, enabling Mulvey to weave around the important issues she half-arsedly posed to him

It was utterly uninspiring without her going any harder on him. I suggest if it was hard hitting at all he would have walked.

Yeah that didn’t go unnoticed. If he told Mcbreen he’s fit and ready to go then someone is telling us some stories.

Mentioning Oar and Hiariej off the bench isn’t the line up most of us we’re hoping for with him coming back in.

localpom

Jan is the line in the sand for MM. He really has that to turn things round i think, if not then can't see him surviving. Much will depend on who comes in and goes in Jan. A couple of wins and it all changes again. What worries me most is morale, virtually half the squad has been dropped completely at least once and some not picked at all. I'm still not sure if Gameiro is genuinely injured or there is something else going on. I really expected him to be back by now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred