• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mulvey's gotta...go?

Should Mulvey go?

• Yes

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters

Insertnamehere

Ben and Will were both exceptiional coaches. Why they dumped them? I know why! Cahn was dumped for Okon's cronies and Vasquez was dumped for Mulvey cronies! Mate we need young enthusiastic coaches not has-beens from the dark ages. You think $75k is ok? Judging by nyl ladder under Junna he aint worth that much. Vasquez did a much better job on less than a tenth of that wage! NPL will be the proof of it all.
Yep but junna comes with ais experience as does O'Connor. They were probs on more yhere. Is the result justifying it? Well that's more what you're talking about.
I agree we need to seperate the control of yoof from first team. Stop playing silly buggers with it. We've had a couple you guys fellas come in and perform well, then sack them at the whims of some ego driven first team coach.

ryan

"The age of mediocrity is over" He was not wrong. I'd love for us to be mediocre again. Right now we are dire

Big Al

Ben and Will were both exceptiional coaches. Why they dumped them? I know why! Cahn was dumped for Okon's cronies and Vasquez was dumped for Mulvey cronies! Mate we need young enthusiastic coaches not has-beens from the dark ages. You think $75k is ok? Judging by nyl ladder under Junna he aint worth that much. Vasquez did a much better job on less than a tenth of that wage! NPL will be the proof of it all.
I agree getting rid of good young coaches is stupid. Just like the players we are supposed to be a developing club. You can also sell coaches if another team wants them.

As for the wage. While it might not be what the other blokes are on I don’t see it as high or excessive. Doesn’t fit your argument to me.

joe bailey

Marine
I agree getting rid of good young coaches is stupid. Just like the players we are supposed to be a developing club. You can also sell coaches if another team wants them.

As for the wage. While it might not be what the other blokes are on I don’t see it as high or excessive. Doesn’t fit your argument to me.

aren't the mariners scratching for pennies? I think it is in over the top wage. As a member/fan/supporter for a very long time I am so disappointed with what is going on. We are the laughing stock of the A League. We were the laughing stock of the world with the Bolt Circus. How much more embarrassing can we get? This season's NPL will be a very telling tale of the future of CCM.

Forum Phoenix

I gotta say, he hasn't been brilliant but I think he's been serviceable comparatively. I would rather we stick with out current attacking lineup and look at defense. Clearly our problems start from the back. If we weren't making goals we'd have been in it with a chance in most of the games so far, but when you're consistently losing by this much someone has to fix the defense. To me, a new keeper and a CB who might teach Rowles and entice him to stay, would be a decent outcome for a midseason change.

Our goals have definitely been mostly down to badly losing the midfield battle first or poor turn overs under pressure because we lack quality and a plan. Teams attack us with acres of space. Our defenders are always running backwards, sideways or both as they’re attacked by good numbers of opposing players while our mids struggle to get back or merely give the appearance of doing so - See Hoole and Weemac last game as prime examples.

Not saying our defence doesn’t need work. It does. It needs a new keeper and two new defenders for a start.

But we’ve been horribly out possessed most games and barely get out of our own half, that’s a recipe for disaster for any defensive line up.

Forum Phoenix

I agree with this. I forget who was saying it but one of the perth players is crediting Popovic with building in defensive structures from which the attacking players feel confident going forward and trying things from.
It's what Arnie told Popa to do when he came back to Australia and it's exactly what he did.
It's basic Art of War.
But we can't even do basic basics at the moment.

Problems are deeper than this I’m afraid.

We lack the requisite quality all through our spine. Keeper, both CB,s, DM (only Oneli is sufficient and he’s still far from perfect) number 10, and striker. All sub par, struggling, or worse.

greenlig

go watch an nyl training session or better still a game...then tell me what you think?
They wouldn't have a wage based purely on performance. Junna started coaching at AIS in the early 2000's, he has at least 15 years experience. 75k sounds very, very cheap to me for someone with that XP. Performance is another thing entirely.

nebakke

Our goals have definitely been mostly down to badly losing the midfield battle first or poor turn overs under pressure because we lack quality and a plan. Teams attack us with acres of space. Our defenders are always running backwards, sideways or both as they’re attacked by good numbers of opposing players while our mids struggle to get back or merely give the appearance of doing so - See Hoole and Weemac last game as prime examples.

Not saying our defence doesn’t need work. It does. It needs a new keeper and two new defenders for a start.

But we’ve been horribly out possessed most games and barely get out of our own half, that’s a recipe for disaster for any defensive line up.

I don't disagree, but I hold out a bit of hope that Tommy's poor start to the season was just that and that, if he got back in the good books, he could still do a job. We clearly need a #10 as well, my main point though was now about how everyone seem really hopeful about getting a replacement striker where I'd much rather see any money spent elsewhere on the field :)

Forum Phoenix

I don't disagree, but I hold out a bit of hope that Tommy's poor start to the season was just that and that, if he got back in the good books, he could still do a job. We clearly need a #10 as well, my main point though was now about how everyone seem really hopeful about getting a replacement striker where I'd much rather see any money spent elsewhere on the field :)
Yeah agree with that N.

priorpeter

If @joe bailey is right and Cahn and Will V were on much less than that (which they were), then yes we’re overpaying. Cahn and Will did wonders with the academy lads and were very harshly shafted - I’d love to have them back. Cahn is now killing it with Olympic in Brisbane and everyone I’ve spoken to rates Will suuuuuper highly, whereas junna was hired as an assistant coach to the first team and has now been demoted to solely NYL coach (apparently) - and isn’t doing all that well.

Last edited:

priorpeter

In reference to the thread title - yes, mulvey has to go. No wins in 10 games is telling and we have Sydney away this week - so I see that extending to 11. Aloisi fell on his sword, mulvey must too.
I’m not solely blaming mulvey for where we are, there seems to be a losing culture at the club since charlesworthless took over, so he has to go as well (singo/tagliferro/random Russians/red bull please f**king save us) but mulvey has proved he is not up to this. He freely admitted when he was appointed that he had not kept up to date with the a-league - problem. He (allegedly) told Hiariej to leave in pre season and now refuses to play him because he doesn’t rate him - biiig problem. He signed a has-been in cisse and let Baro go - problem. He’s been proven to be tactically inept outside of friendlies against NPL sides - problem. He “didn’t expect Perth to press so early” on Monday - big f**king problem.
He said all the right things early on and was personable and made time for the fans - that was nice then, but look where we are now.
I’m tired, I’m sick of it, I’m f**king miserable after every game, and I’m f**king over it - something has to change and right now he’s (one of) my scapegoats. Mulvey out.

Last edited:

pjennings

I'm not there yet. Changing managers when there are other problems just hides the problems for later on.

As @Scotty said in another thread " We need a top-down review of everything we've done over the past five years and generate a new five year plan."

The result of the review may mean that Mulvey goes as collateral damage. In the meantime while the review is underway MC needs to support him during the window and try and resurrect the season.

priorpeter

Anyway - if mulvey is to go - whoever comes in needs to bring in a sports psychologist to try and shake this bullshit losing culture we have, and a new goalkeeper coach, because Nash teaching our ‘keepers to just parry into danger is f**king shite. Tbh this should happen anyway; our supposed Director of Sports should’ve seen this when he came in - but where the f**k is he now?

turbo

when he was appointed that he had not kept up to date with the a-league - problem.

It’s bizarre, but if nothing else he had time to catch the tail end of last season without going to much effort (and really he should have done much more than that). That should have given him an indication on where the league was at if he wanted to be competitive. Maybe he was targeting 8th and exclusively watched the bottom 4 as his benchmark?

For me it’s as simple as it being his signings, his tactics, his starting lineups and all of them have raised eyebrows in some way or another. If they work out you’re a genius but when they don’t, especially when they have gone this wrong, then you have to own the failure. There may be others that need to go too but I tend to believe MM was a genuine attempt to get us back on track and the management team got sold a dud just like the fans and the media that was recommending him too.

turbo

Also I think without a turn around or major improvement the club will bleed even more members and crowd figures if he’s left in place for another season. How do you possibly sell returning for next year when we retain our negative record breaking manager?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred