• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners v Perth

Ted

Hopefully a full squad and a full stadium (it would be nice) can make a difference next weekend and get the boys firing. Last nights game lacked direction and more communication would have made a hell of a difference.

dibo

Demented said:
Hopefully a full squad and a full stadium (it would be nice) can make a difference next weekend and get the boys firing. Last nights game lacked direction and more communication would have made a hell of a difference.

here's something - no suspensions or injuries out of last night's game!

luvverly!

S

striker

Wombat said:
Defence was quite good. Ceckers looks good but not fully match fit. Boogs was very good and Wilko was much more solid. O'Grady looked much more in control than last week.
Danny saved our arse again.

our man marking in the box was very poor..... eg. Owens did not track the player when Glory scored.  zonal defence is useless in the box... better man marking is needed.

you can disagree or otherwise?

C

C U JIMMY

Pim Verbeek must be shaking his head if he watched that garbage last night,  I agree with ccm-jam80,  that for me was our worst performance of the season,  the standard was no better than the 3rd division in Scotland and that's woeful,  we are top of the league and the way we are playing at the moment its in sufferance,  either that or the other teams are so bad its not funny. A league players to get us to the world cup? Don't think so. Old Stan actually looked good against us, oh dear. ::) ::) ::)

Rubbernose

When we're under the pump, we have to learn to slow the game down, keep possession and take the sting out of the oppositions momentum. We haven't done it several times this season and didn't do it again tonight.

It's frustrating, isn't it. It's ridiculous actually, the extended periods of desperate defending and complete inability to hold the ball for any more than 2 passes max. We just cough it straight back up or choof it long. It's very poor, I don't get it.

Yeah sorry to join the wet rag crew but we were lucky to get the point and that was just rubbish. IMO the defence was ordinary, the midfield were appalling and we were predictable and flat up front.

Tommy and Hutch were largely MIA, Jedi had a poor game for his usual standards, not sure Owens was even out there? Sasho has been in poor form for a while now and should have been punted after about 35 mins. What he did with the one chance he had was inexplicable.

From what I've seen recently I'd play a back 4 of Clarke, Boogaard, Vidmar and, well, Ceccoli, even though Checkers was ordinary last night too but you'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt form obvious reasons. And we need some more zip and zing up front, and I don't think Simon is the man to provide it. I think we need to start using Kwasnik far more than 10-15mins off the bench because he can add a bit of the zip and zing, and he'll create things from nothing, he gives a bit of pacey flair.

I dunno what the hell has happened but we're a shell of what we have been. Perhaps the layoff for several players coupled with the travel and heat of Perth helped us look ordinary but it's become a worrying habit.

Shake it off and wake the fark up, Mariners.

[/misery guts rant]

Ted

dibo said:
Demented said:

here's something - no suspensions or injuries out of last night's game!

luvverly!

Yeah it was good to see them all finish the match and still being available for next weeks battle.  I was also impressed with the refs calls and thats not something I've been able to say lately....

S

striker

Rubbernose said:
............ the extended periods of desperate defending and complete inability to hold the ball for any more than 2 passes max.

you just summed up the status of most A-League teams.

Rubbernose

striker #9 said:
Rubbernose said:
............ the extended periods of desperate defending and complete inability to hold the ball for any more than 2 passes max.

you just summed up the status of most A-League teams.

To varying degrees, yeah, but I would honestly rate us as the worst at it. It's been giving me the mega shits all season.

Rubbernose

forzamariners said:
viva la nsl playing standards

I reckon the NSL may have appeared somewhat different at times because it was part time and played at no where near the pace that the A-League is. The good NSL sides would have the time and skill to work teams over but no team can do it in this league very often, and it's not because the standard is worse than the NSL it's because the pace is dramatically different, imo.

Even at this early stage of the league it's one of the biggest improvements and positives in a way, for mine, because players who move to bigger and better leagues are already finding it far easier to adjust to the fitness levels, full time environment, as well as increase in pace and lack of time on the ball.

One would assume that the groundwork is being laid to evolve to raise the skill levels too, so teams can become better on the ball.

dibo

The skill levels can't possibly improve overnight. Until there is a cradle to grave development program that focuses on good individual technique as well as tactical nous this will remain an unrealistic expectation of the league.

The process to deliver that is underway thanks to the FFA's work through Rob Baan, but results won't come through til the first players are arriving at senior level who have had the benefit of the new programs from the start. This will take 10 years plus, and shaky looking matches in the meantime are simply a vindication of the assessment that player development up to this point has been inadequate and needed a shake-up.

Foster wrote a frankly appalling article yesterday in the sun herald bemoaning the technical abilities of our players and wailing that we won't make 2010 if the Socceroos play like that. To him I say 'no shit, Sherlock'. We can't wave a magic wand and suddenly have all A-League players gain the benefits of an apprenticeship at Clairefontaine...

2010 is going to be a tough ask. The collapse of the NSL happened at just the wrong time for the core age-group that will be relied upon to get us there. Some of these players (like Kwas, Osman or Vukovic for example) were at a crucial point of their development and set to take the next big step but were robbed of the opportunity.

We do have more than 100 players overseas and some great youngsters coming through the A-League now and the task isn't so daunting. The increase in quality of local players that has come from full-time professionalism was evident at the Asian Cup when players like Carney, Carle and Milligan was evident alongside their overseas-based comrades.

2014 will be a much easier task, because the systems will be in place, by that stage we'll have 10 or even 12 full squads of full-timers playing here with more money and more games played here. Present moves towards a youth league and a national coaching and development program will be delivering additional benefits. By the time we get to 2022 well have players who have spent perhaps 12 years working under a true national development program, players whose idea of success with the Socceroos isnt to qualify for the World cup but to make the quarters or better.

But remember the pre-A-League outlook for the players we have at the moment, until 2005 they were limited in most cases to part time jobs playing for little suburban clubs at little suburban grounds. To expect that them being full-time players now will make up for the haphazard and in some cases shambolic development paths of their youth is unfair on them and unrealistic of us. For me, the marvel is that in spite of the state Australian football was in and to an extent still is, we have a professional league with reasonable football, great crowds and interest and the start of some real improvements to the entire top-to-bottom technical structure.

Rubbernose

That Foster article yesterday was a bit of a shocker wasn't it, Dibo. His assertion that no A-League teams play the ball out from the back but instead 'hoof it long' ad nauseum because of, err, some shit about Britain, indicated to me he doesn't really watch the league, because such a style is not majority/atypical at all.

Incidently, it doesn't seem to be a popular opinion among some people but I reckon it's a bit of a myth and generalisation to suggest there's no focus on technique in our elite development pathways. Inspiring more kids to become obsessed with a ball and a gradual increase in quality and regularity of competition from elite youth level up to the a-League/a-league reserves will see just as much improvements in technique eventuate as anything Rob Baan introduces for amateur u/6-12's, imho. But I digress.

FFC Mariner

Foster is just about biased and stupid enough to get a gig on Total Sydney IMHO.

I tend to ignore anything he ever says. If he was sooooooooooooo freakin good, wouldnt he be coaching somewhere or putting his money where his mouth is?? Just a bitter little man with no clarsh

dibo

Greenpoleffc said:
Foster is just about biased and stupid enough to get a gig on Total Sydney IMHO.

I tend to ignore anything he ever says. If he was sooooooooooooo freakin good, wouldnt he be coaching somewhere or putting his money where his mouth is?? Just a bitter little man with no clarsh

the thing that annoys me is that he does little more than state the obvious ad nauseam while ignoring what's actually going on - like the FFA's football development plan. he's not necessarily wrong - we do need work done, but he's a broken record and has his eyes closed to any sort of progress.

T

trottyfan

This game was so identical to the Round 13 game against Perth. A midfielder Owens/Hutchinson scores our only goal at approx same time and same end. We play well in patches although poor overall and both keepers have solid games Trott/Vukovic. There's only one difference. Trotty kept a clean sheet in Round 13. ;) ;) ;)

Rubbernose

Greenpoleffc said:
I tend to ignore anything he ever says.

I think most people do, although he does have a loyal fanbase who lap it all up.

If he was sooooooooooooo freakin good, wouldnt he be coaching somewhere...

Well in fairness to Foz, he actually IS a coach....of Nerds FC. :D

Gen (MarinerMum)

I now understand what the soccerroos coach is saying.  We needed to control the game by keeping possession but we kicked it wherever we liked.  Last to the headers, goal kicks to no one and corners that mean we couldn't score in a brothel.  Our team need to look at the game realise and change their strategies.

If we beleive we are the best then we had better start playing like we are and stop talking about it.  lucky to get a point.

marinersman

Coming off two straight losses and with so much to play for, I really thought we would come out and smash Perth. I just can't believe the performance the boys put in. It is totally unacceptable.

Perth are last FFS and easily the worst team in the league. They are a complete rabble and yet they played us off the park. And I don't buy the whole thing about it being a tough trip etc that gets used by every team that goes over there.

They are last for a very good reason, they're crap.

If you were watching your first HAL game last night and didn't know the league positions, you would think we were last and they were first.

It's not good enough and I hope all the players come on here and read our comments because they need to wake up quick smart before it all goes pear shaped.

We all, as proud supporters have every right to be very pissed off with the last two games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred