• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners v Perth

uncleyellow

Yeah they are catching now, but most apart from us had an average start.
The last few rounds we havent been in great form, but the table dont lie.
But previous to that, we desevre our spot on the table (still do IMO).

We do need to lift alot for these last two massive games.

pommypete

I think Lawrie is putting unnecessary pressure on the team by insisting we 'deserve' to win the league.We should have won the league by now,but apart from that 20 minute spell against the Bling we have looked like we don't want to win it.We get too complacent when we score first and let the opposition back into the game instead of burying them.

S

striker

brett said:
The stats say that the Mariners use the least passes out of any team in the league.

can you expand on that? .......... ???????

brett

Completed Passes
1 Newcastle 5287
2 Sydney FC 5010
3 Melbourne 4659
4 Wellington 4336
5 Perth 4231
6 Queensland 4127 
7 Central Coast  3837
8 Adelaide Utd 3716

Sorry, we've moved up to 7th as of Rnd 18. We didn't pass it much in Perth so we might have gone back down.

bikinigirl

. completed passes is a different story - doesn't mean we are not playing a passing game, just that we may not be executing it that well

adz

Staff member
bikinigirl said:
. completed passes is a different story - doesn't mean we are not playing a passing game, just that we may not be executing it that well

ah great point, how many passes go straight to the opposition?

brett

Well think of it this way, every time you do an 'incomplete' pass, the other team will get the ball. So it's not really possible to string together hundreds of incomplete passes. Therefore the completed passes over the full season gives a pretty good indication as to the style of play.

Really, it shows two things.
1) How much possession your team tends to have (more possession naturally equals more passes)
2) How your team attacks (directly or patiently)

Even when we have our best midfield and we get the ball down and pass it fluently, we tend to try to score quickly. We move the ball forward with short one touch passing straight towards goal. Then you have games like the last one where we do in fact resort to long balls because we're struggling. This explains our lack of passes.

bikinigirl

. don't disagree

. lack of completed passes does not (in itself) mean that we play a long ball game - this is what striker was disputing

. and to bring up an old chestnut - it is amazing that spenny has managed to complete 5000 back passes considering the amount of time he has actually been on the pitch  ;)

S

striker

bikinigirl said:
. lack of completed passes does not (in itself) mean that we play a long ball game - this is what striker was disputing

Thanks bikinigirl...that's exactly what i meant, plus I said that we need to improve our passes which translates into we need to improve incomplete passes - i guess. and therefore, hold on to possession better...

Wombat

For me Jedi has to do much work protecting our defence. Hopefully with Checkers settling in and Boogs back and Viddy coming in for Stringers the back 4 can look after themselves and start to build our attacks more.
It is games like the Perth game that make me think we should be starting gumps because we can be really toothless without him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred