• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners v Perth

fish

At the start of the game I was hoping for 3 or 4 tbh.Naive? maybe, but after conceding 10 in the last 2 and the performance of the second half I think its a point that may well win us the league.
Agree it would have been nice to win,  Sydney/Roar fight out a draw then we beat Newcastle to win the league but thats football.

FFC Mariner

Its only fair to point out that we had Danny, Stringers, Boogs,  Hutcho and Owens returning and Checkers making his debut.

Their respective match fitness would explain a lot of the 2nd half performance (especially in midfield) and as players tire, the performance gets very ragged. To me, that looked like a v tired team that was hanging on in the last 20.

With a run under their belt, we will be on fire against the scum.

rosko

That trip to Perth cant be too much fun... You dont see many teams perform all that well over there.. The Glory players do well to get the results when they do with the travel they do every week...

Teddy Bear

On a different note I thought the referee did a fairly good job. Kept the cards to a minimum and only used them when really needed to, unlike Shield and Breeze who have the cards superglued to their fingers.

Bex

dibo said:
The skill levels can't possibly improve overnight. Until there is a cradle to grave development program that focuses on good individual technique as well as tactical nous this will remain an unrealistic expectation of the league.

..................................etc.

Thanks for the insight Dibo. Very interesting reading.

Bex

marinersman said:
Coming off two straight losses and with so much to play for, I really thought we would come out and smash Perth. I just can't believe the performance the boys put in. It is totally unacceptable.

I think the other element to that is how well we were playing against the Smurfs before Vuka got the red card. We looked like we were going to trounce Sydney, and we even held it together largely for the rest of the match considering we were a man down. The result of that game after such a huge effort, plus the suspensions and injuries, seems to have had a strange affect on the players.

Surely McKinna has got right up them about the non-existant defence midfield. Whenever the opposition get the ball, they're straight back to our goalmouth. We lack the ability to hold the ball midfield in attack for any period of time. We have no penetration into the box using ball skills. We fail to create opportunities through movement of the ball around the opposition half; perhaps because we lack the confidence in our abilities to attack this area without flying in a speculate ball that has at best a 50% chance of finding a mariners player.

It seems we can only score lately when we make a break or get a free kick. That is not the same team as I saw 3 or 4 weeks ago. Hopefully, McKinna will do his job and get them back on track now that we've got most all our players back and Checkers has had a week to fit in. I mean, even Aloisi didn't look too impressive in his first week (IMO).

I know thats all pretty negative, and I'm probably not qualified to criticise, but at least I feel better now :-D

Fire up Farken

Wombat

Foster is a tool. Average player who has set himself up as some worldwide Guru.
He's like a broken record and 50% of what he says is shite.

P.S. It was Harper not Foster who coached Nerds FC.

~Floss~

Teddy Bear said:
On a different note I thought the referee did a fairly good job. Kept the cards to a minimum and only used them when really needed to, unlike Shield and Breeze who have the cards superglued to their fingers.

Hmmm, I thought he missed a lot of opportunities to play advantages, contributing (to an arguable degree) towards the shite-ness of the game and the number of opportunities to go forward quickly or creatively in open play.

May not have been a huge influence, as we may have just lost the ball in the next pass or 2 each time anyway.

The odd corner or throw went the wrong way too, but that can be expected as long as it's honest mistakes benefiting each team on different occasions.

Overall not too bad - at least he was fairly un-biased. Agree about the cards too.

brett

Lack of advantage being played across the league is very frustrating. Even in second division in Church comp two seasons ago a ref at least waited til a stop in play to book me for calling him a joke. :)

S

striker

Rubbernose said:
striker #9 said:
Rubbernose said:
............ the extended periods of desperate defending and complete inability to hold the ball for any more than 2 passes max.

you just summed up the status of most A-League teams.

To varying degrees, yeah, but I would honestly rate us as the worst at it. It's been giving me the mega shits all season.

Dear Mr Rubbernose

Mariners are probably one of few teams that play with minimum long ball passes.  If you look at our play , we very good at moving the ball up the field with short sharp passes....although, we need a fair bit of improvement there too.

so, we ain't as bad as you might think.

yellowcake

pommypete said:
1 win in 6 games is hardly championship form.

Maybe, but the first 20 against Sydney (only 2 games ago) show they've got in in them and look fearsome when they put it together. And after 19 rounds - top of the league.

Deej

uncleyellow said:
pommypete said:
says something about the teams under us?

That they are finding form and caught us up, anyone who says we have been playing like champions are kidding themselves......we need 2 impressive displays over the next 2 weeks to really boost our confidence!

Thank god for those early season points and everyone else drawing!

northernspirit

DJ said:
uncleyellow said:
pommypete said:

That they are finding form and caught us up, anyone who says we have been playing like champions are kidding themselves......we need 2 impressive displays over the next 2 weeks to really boost our confidence!

we had lots of results go our way early on in the season resulting in our 9 point lead at the top which we have since lost twice and now regained with only a 1 point buffer... so what DJ says is correct... Teams especially Qld and Sydney are finding form at the right end of the season whereas weve lost our consistancy so we need to finish with 2 wins if we are a realistic chance at winning the toilet seat IMO, anything less and our confidence could take a battering, especially if we dont finish top

Deej

northernspirit said:
DJ said:
uncleyellow said:
pommypete said:

we had lots of results go our way early on in the season resulting in our 9 point lead at the top which we have since lost twice and now regained with only a 1 point buffer... so what DJ says is correct... Teams especially Qld and Sydney are finding form at the right end of the season whereas weve lost our consistancy so we need to finish with 2 wins if we are a realistic chance at winning the toilet seat IMO, anything less and our confidence could take a battering, especially if we dont finish top

spot on

brett

Disagree.

Even if we lose twice and finish 4th, we're as good a chance as any for the seat.

The focus and mentality changes in finals time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred