• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

pjennings

My prediction would be Roar-style 4-3-3 with one holder and two eights in midfield rather than a ten, with McGlinchey and Hiariej the two eights. For the FFA Cup something like Kennedy - McGing, Cisse, Rowles, Clisby - Melling, Hiariej, McGlinchey - Hoole, Gameiro, Pain. I wouldn't be surprised to see Shabow get a start for that game too.

Of those I'd still expect a new striker to come into the starting eleven in place of Gameiro, and hopefully new signings coming in for McGlinchey at eight and McGing at right back (my pick would be Retre if we let De Silva go to Sydney). Golec and Aspro could come into that team as well, possibly pushing Cisse into midfield if all three are fit and in form.

Given our current squad and a 4-3-3 I would be similar. Except I would have a 6, 8 and 10. We need to score so we need creativity. Scoring (or lack of it) was a worse problem overall last season. We copped 13 goals in the first and last round. For the other 25 we only copped 36.

My other change would be to bring Simon in for Hoole. He played there a lot for GA when they were here.

Cricko_086

I apologise for the following but I am a YA member.. mostly drunk (can ppl blame me for recent years) yet still not 100% about all things football. Gosford born but rugby league and rugby were he games.. ok blah done.. questions.
1.Why can’t DDS tell his side? (If he is the victim)
2. Are we picking a formation when we don’t have our entire squad or is this it?
2.1 when do we panic if squad is still too small.
3. I’m moving to brissy and it’s the first round game so venues for game day ideas? (just for us)

For the next few days I’m a sailor so no apology for drinking rum!!

pjennings

I apologise for the following but I am a YA member.. mostly drunk (can ppl blame me for recent years) yet still not 100% about all things football. Gosford born but rugby league and rugby were he games.. ok blah done.. questions.
2. Are we picking a formation when we don’t have our entire squad or is this it?
3. I’m moving to brissy and it’s the first round game so venues for game day ideas? (just for us)

1. He can - whether he is the victim or not.
2. We don't have our entire squad so just speculation given an FFA cup game in a few week.
3. We need at least 2 players (given DDS is leaving) to have the minimum squad size. We also would have a decent amount of money left to get to the salary cap floor.

Brisbane - isn't that where according to mythology 'the game that never was' was played.? :confused:

pjennings

Matthew Millar seems to have taken up golf instead of signing with us ;). Hope he can play football as well as he golfs.

ASIAN TOUR: Indonesia Open (Indonesia)
After round 1
Dates: 12.07.-16.07.2018Par: 72Prize money: $500,000
# Player Par Thru Today 1 2 3 4 Total
T1 Millar M. -6 15:50 66 66
T1 Veerman J. -6 15:10 66 66
T3 Harding J. -5 11:15 67 67
T3 Joshi K. -5 10:35 67 67
T3 Kemmer D. -5 10:05 67 67
T3 Kitayama K. -5 15:30 67 67
T3 Mane U. -5 14:00 67 67
T3 Peterson P. -5 15:00 67 67
T9 Antcliff M. -4 10:55 68 68
T9 Kruger J. -4 14:30 68 68
T9 Lee K. -4 10:05 68 68
T9 Lee S. T. -4 14:30 68 68
T9 Lertvilai P. -4 10:45 68 68
T9 Liu Y. -4 14:10 68 68
T9 Srithong N. -4 14:20 68 68
T9 Takahashi M. -4 15:40 68 68
T9 Yates S. -4 15:20 68 6

Gratis

I think you will find that we already had Skapetis when Giannou came up. Okon decided he would stick with what he had which included Skapetis. There was money available that he chose not to use
and then never really played Skapetis and when he did it was as a winger not as a 9

GummyChuck

Disagree with which part Gummy?
(Not hostile - just interested in different opinions)

Would love to be proven wrong but I’m not sure Matty has goals in him.

Didn’t score too many whilst playing in front of the most dangerous team in the league so I’m even less confident in him getting them with the service our lads will provide.

But as I said, I hope I’m wrong.

pjennings

Didn’t score too many whilst playing in front of the most dangerous team in the league so I’m even less confident in him getting them with the service our lads will provide.

I hope you are wrong as well. To be fair he wasn't a starter very often so that didn't help his cause. Welcome aboard GummyChuck - I hope to see more of your posts!!

Forum Phoenix

Can’t agree on this sorry, whilst I understand the disappointment over the lack of (up til now) Hollywood signing, the squad is better overall than it was last season and if Mulvey holds everyone accountable (unlike our previous coach it would seem), that will likely prove the difference imo.

There are still signings to come that could/should improve things further, so we all need to be patient. Better that than panic-buying another assdribble surely?

This ^ for me FFC.

For mine Matty and an uninjured Gamiero are clear improvements on Adsrubal and Powell. As is Clisby for Roux and Weemac for Kubi if he can refind atleast half his old form. Cisse we'll see how he compares to Baro. But has better pedigree and is a solid chance to be an upgrade I think.

Only area where we've clearly lost quality that we have not replaced is in Wout imo. And DDS... well though he's not gone yet and inspired little confidence through the second half of the season. For the rest of the money ball signings we'll see, but Aspro, Shabow and MIllar are not without any promise.

So it's a considerably improved base I think. Stronger character and I do think stronger footballers for the most part.

Spend most of our remaining cash on two visa spots for high quality CAM and Striker are the priorities for me. Then another RB would be my next cab off the rank. But with Millar and McGing this may not be going to happen.

Cricko_086

Firstly thanks for a reply.. I was thinking this was all ppl that knew what was going on unlike myself...
Brisbane history....We shall not speak of such things and I am moving there, therefore we have one extra born and breed Coastie in enemy territory!!

Ok so if he can speak..... why doesn’t he??? The discussion on here is half half about him being the one being hard done by..if so talk about it no? Meh..

Re the squad I will remain in my bubble stressing out whilst I move up north. I always think “them positive waves bubby”

Forum Phoenix

Statistics would say otherwise

Cute ;)

But...

Pain's 4 goals and 3 assists in our god awful side last year does not speak of no scoring ability or promise.
Nor does Hoole's 4 goals and 5 assists.
Last year for Weemac I'll give you was a terrible year for him in a terrible team. It all clearly came undone and he's obviously made a sea change and trying to rebuild now. But take out last year and he was averaging a goals every 5.5 games. Which is decent. Also the way welly have been playing trying to hit fast on a counter he was never going to be scoring really.

So I'm hopeful Hoole and Pain can improve a bit and Weemac gets back on track.

Whereas our "strike force" Adsrubal 2 goals. Powell 4, Kubi 1.

Is what had me bothered.

Forum Phoenix

Off the bench and not a lot of minutes. I think he still knows where the net is myself.

Insertnamehere

Interesting article in him in the local paper today. Said he was clocked @35klms an hour last season which is one of the fastest in the league and he said that’s for someone who is supposed ti be broken.

I think he could be very effective for the last 20-30. But the whole game consistently is to much after his history. No matter how good he looks
ACL shouldn't effect top speed. And if rehabbed properly shouldn't effect ability to change direction at speed. If it does affect one's ability it's mentally. If he just gets a good preseason under his belt and gets some game time he should be right
Firstly thanks for a reply.. I was thinking this was all ppl that knew what was going on unlike myself...
Brisbane history....We shall not speak of such things and I am moving there, therefore we have one extra born and breed Coastie in enemy territory!!

Ok so if he can speak..... why doesn’t he??? The discussion on here is half half about him being the one being hard done by..if so talk about it no? Meh..

Re the squad I will remain in my bubble stressing out whilst I move up north. I always think “them positive waves bubby”
Make sure to move to the Northside. The less said about southerners the better.
As for pre game venue. Depends on your tipple. Standard lager drinker, Caxton or most venues on Caxton st. Or as one gent said to me on Caxton st one pre game, if you like that homebrew sh*t (crafties) then brewski.

Woollybutt

Given our current squad and a 4-3-3 I would be similar. Except I would have a 6, 8 and 10. We need to score so we need creativity. Scoring (or lack of it) was a worse problem overall last season. We copped 13 goals in the first and last round. For the other 25 we only copped 36.

My other change would be to bring Simon in for Hoole. He played there a lot for GA when they were here.
All fair points, though I do continue to disagree on the 10. I think our reliance on one player for our creativity was a big part of why we looked less and less of an attacking threat as the season went on. I think we can massively improve our creativity and goal return by playing with two 8s and the two attacking midfielders narrower or inverted, and using the budget for a better striker, midfielder, and right back rather than trying to find a ten to replace De Silva. If De Silva stays then all bets are off, but I'm hoping we turn away from the classic 10 this season and gets the midfielders (especially Hiariej) more involved higher up the pitch instead.

I'd like to see Shabow for Hoole personally, with Shadow on the left and Pain on the right, but I think I have higher expectations for Shabow than most.

Ozhammer

MMM has very clearly stated that he doesn’t do ‘Curriculum Football’ and I have seen him screw his face up when folks start talking about 6’s 8’s 10’s and the like. He says that he prefers to find a formation and style that suits the player’s abilities and strengths.

I don’t think his approach will be free range football (a la Walmsley), more like he won’t have individuals playing in straightjackets ( a la Okon). In one conversation he mentioned how Pain had been coached to turn back with the ball rather than driving forward with it, which was something he intended to change.

There are a lot of ways to set a team up to play and none of them are wholly right or wholly wrong. The best coaches are simply able to find a style and approach that works for the squad they have and extracts the maximum potential from every individual. The top coaches then add a layer of tactical nous on top of that, which allows them to adapt their system to counter whichever opponent they happen to be facing.

Big Al

Cute ;)

But...

Pain's 4 goals and 3 assists in our god awful side last year does not speak of no scoring ability or promise.
Nor does Hoole's 4 goals and 5 assists.
Last year for Weemac I'll give you was a terrible year for him in a terrible team. It all clearly came undone and he's obviously made a sea change and trying to rebuild now. But take out last year and he was averaging a goals every 5.5 games. Which is decent. Also the way welly have been playing trying to hit fast on a counter he was never going to be scoring really.

So I'm hopeful Hoole and Pain can improve a bit and Weemac gets back on track.

Whereas our "strike force" Adsrubal 2 goals. Powell 4, Kubi 1.

Is what had me bothered.
Sorry FP you can only have promise for so long and Pain and Hoole have run out of time.

Pain has been no better than a 5 a season winger for his career and Hoole is the most frustrating talent to play the game but he just doesn’t have the brains for it.

We are extremely weak up front as we were last year and this is where the other clubs have expensive imports.

Timmah

Kekeris promoted to the HAL squad: https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/peter-kekeris-earns-a-league-call

Updated squad list:

Central Coast Mariners Squad
Goalkeepers: Joe GAUCI, Ben KENNEDY, Adam PEARCE
Defenders: Jonathan ASPROPOTAMITIS, Kalifa CISSE, Jack CLISBY, Antony GOLEC, Jake McGING, Kye ROWLES
Midfielders: Adam BERRY, Danny De SILVA, Tom HIARIEJ, Michael McGLINCHEY, Jacob MELLING, Mario SHABOW
Attackers: Andrew HOOLE, Corey GAMEIRO, Peter KEKERIS, Connor PAIN, Matt SIMON

Big Dog

Enjoy the beautiful winter days in Brisvegas.

The Caxton Hotel is very close to the Stadium in Caxton St. It's more famous for State of Origin though. Plenty of supporters start in Queen St Mall at places like O'Malley's Irish Pub, there's plenty of places in there, and walk to the stadium. It's probably about a 20min walk, or you can get the train free with your ticket at Central and its two stops to Milton, right at the ground.

Great stadium too. All the best

Reactions: adz

Capt. Awesome

Kekeris promoted to the HAL squad: https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/peter-kekeris-earns-a-league-call

Updated squad list:

Central Coast Mariners Squad
Goalkeepers: Joe GAUCI, Ben KENNEDY, Adam PEARCE
Defenders: Jonathan ASPROPOTAMITIS, Kalifa CISSE, Jack CLISBY, Antony GOLEC, Jake McGING, Kye ROWLES
Midfielders: Adam BERRY, Danny De SILVA, Tom HIARIEJ, Michael McGLINCHEY, Jacob MELLING, Mario SHABOW
Attackers: Andrew HOOLE, Corey GAMEIRO, Peter KEKERIS, Connor PAIN, Matt SIMON
This is good news. Kekers has a lot of potential.

Michael

IM ABSOLUTELY STOOOOOOOOKED THEYVE PROMOTED KEK’S!!!
YEWWWWWWWW
I honestly see him taking pains starting spot very very quickly. Said it a few times on here, technically far superior than pain and hoole.
The kid is so confident on the ball and efficient.
Bags of potential.

Give him #11 and watch him grow.
Makes me happier about Wales dogging us.

Offsider

Sorry FP you can only have promise for so long and Pain and Hoole have run out of time.

Pain has been no better than a 5 a season winger for his career and Hoole is the most frustrating talent to play the game but he just doesn’t have the brains for it.

We are extremely weak up front as we were last year and this is where the other clubs have expensive imports.

Can’t help throwing in my tuppence worth here........... big al has inspired a response that is not totally negative ..... go figure:popcorn:
Interesting the comments above this post about pain’s coaching to turn back and mmm to remedy ......... something to look forward to. Pain is not stupid but needs to get cranky to perform outside his norm. Okon’s shackles obviously didn’t suite him or hoole.

I see hoole as just single minded. When he gets the ball it is all about him beating the defense, which is not a bad thing ......... when it comes off and he is not swamped by the defense. He continually went past a pass or shot opportunity before losing control. His spot kicking is abysmal and severely limited the goal scoring opportunities that should have been on offer. Why okon did not educate him but persevered with it just leaves me miserable.

I am starting to get more confident with the solidarity of the squad being assembled............ but the same is evident in ALL the other squads except victory and sfc who are still suffering ??? players leaving............ but they have no spending min like we have. To me mm’s coaching and tactics will make the difference from last season. There are good signs with the tall timber but who is going to deliver the ball to take advantage of it. :popcorn:

It would be interesting to know whether mm wanted dds to stay or not ???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred