• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Yoda

Cute ;)

But...

Pain's 4 goals and 3 assists in our god awful side last year does not speak of no scoring ability or promise.
Nor does Hoole's 4 goals and 5 assists.
Last year for Weemac I'll give you was a terrible year for him in a terrible team. It all clearly came undone and he's obviously made a sea change and trying to rebuild now. But take out last year and he was averaging a goals every 5.5 games. Which is decent. Also the way welly have been playing trying to hit fast on a counter he was never going to be scoring really.

So I'm hopeful Hoole and Pain can improve a bit and Weemac gets back on track.

Whereas our "strike force" Adsrubal 2 goals. Powell 4, Kubi 1.

Is what had me bothered.

Not cute, scary.

In the A-League;
Pain - 8 goals in 5 years - 102 games
Hoole - 10 goals in 5 years - 104 games
McGlinchy - 22 goals in 9 years - 205 games
Gameiro - 5 in 6 years - 51 games
Simon - 46 in 12 years - 220 games, but more worryingly 10 in last 5 years - 100 games.

Unless some firepower is added I don't know where the goals are going to come from. Sydney FC scored more goals last season than our entire frontline has in the last 5 years.

Nevertheless, I've renewed and will still be there cheering them on.

Forum Phoenix

Sorry FP you can only have promise for so long and Pain and Hoole have run out of time.

Pain has been no better than a 5 a season winger for his career and Hoole is the most frustrating talent to play the game but he just doesn’t have the brains for it.

We are extremely weak up front as we were last year and this is where the other clubs have expensive imports.

It’s hard to disagree with that.

So I’m hoping a five a year winger can rise to an eight a year winger, we get two foreign imports and a brain surgeon.

Forum Phoenix

Not cute, scary.

In the A-League;
Pain - 8 goals in 5 years - 102 games
Hoole - 10 goals in 5 years - 104 games
McGlinchy - 22 goals in 9 years - 205 games
Gameiro - 5 in 6 years - 51 games
Simon - 46 in 12 years - 220 games, but more worryingly 10 in last 5 years - 100 games.

Unless some firepower is added I don't know where the goals are going to come from. Sydney FC scored more goals last season than our entire frontline has in the last 5 years.

Nevertheless, I've renewed and will still be there cheering them on.

So what you’re saying is based on those stats last year for Hoole and Pain were their break out years!

Damn lies and statistics etc.

Big Al

Having watched a lot of CCMA, very quick, very direct, great feet. Will struggle physically in HAL.

Not ready to start but might be one day. Massive upgrade on Wales
Only has to get past Pain. He can do it.
Also we’ve seen with arzani, that direct can be effective (not saying he is the next Arzani).
At a minimum has a little x factor. Something this team needs.

Have seen him play once and that was enough to make a very good impression on me.

Michael

Having watched a lot of CCMA, very quick, very direct, great feet. Will struggle physically in HAL.

Not ready to start but might be one day. Massive upgrade on Wales

If we finally start being smart with our wingers and focus on isolating them in 1 v 1s with a full back we should get a lot of end product out of especially kekeris.

Funnily enough I reckon Pain could learn a trick or two from Peter.

Very very interested to see how much Hoole will still drift inside and congest the play from the right under Mulvey.
Admittedly it did look like an actual tactic under Okon but fmd it did way more harm than good.
Hoole is not a 10. At a stretch a winger...
Put him on the left as an “inside forward” start wide and let him dribble inside and shoot/one two/channel throughballs. Best way to get any consistency out of him imo.

Wombat

Good little player.
I agree with Fulham that he is better than Wales. Even his 20 min cameo last season looked full of promise.

Wombat

PK........Ima gonna call him Nelson.

It's always exciting when we bring a new youth in. All the best Nelson!

Is that a reference to the "Power of One" ? The excellent Bryce Courtney book.

PK was the white English kid in an Afrikaans school NOT Nelson Mandela.

Woollybutt

MMM has very clearly stated that he doesn’t do ‘Curriculum Football’ and I have seen him screw his face up when folks start talking about 6’s 8’s 10’s and the like. He says that he prefers to find a formation and style that suits the player’s abilities and strengths.

I don’t think his approach will be free range football (a la Walmsley), more like he won’t have individuals playing in straightjackets ( a la Okon). In one conversation he mentioned how Pain had been coached to turn back with the ball rather than driving forward with it, which was something he intended to change.

There are a lot of ways to set a team up to play and none of them are wholly right or wholly wrong. The best coaches are simply able to find a style and approach that works for the squad they have and extracts the maximum potential from every individual. The top coaches then add a layer of tactical nous on top of that, which allows them to adapt their system to counter whichever opponent they happen to be facing.
Good points, though I disagree that talking about 6s, 8s, 10s and the like is either bad or anything to do with the curriculum, it's just an easy way of describing a specific role on the pitch. As you say, there are so many variations in a formation or position, so it's handy to be able to talk about specific roles and starting positions within formations and positions.

Great news on Kekeris, though it raises the possibility that either Millar hasn't been signed, or he's been been signed primarily as cover at right back and McGing will be first choice.

Forum Phoenix

Mikes quotes were interesting. Put an emphasis on his work ethic and teachability. Subtle. But more good signs re the culture and Mike as a coach.

Also keks comments of him being firm but fair. An it’s inportant to have that in charge. Possible dig at Okon? Possibly...

Last edited:

pjennings

This is the second "scholarship" signing. While I don't expect more than 23 players at the moment it does give flexibility if MMM wants to add someone later in the year.

Big Al

This is the second "scholarship" signing. While I don't expect more than 23 players at the moment it does give flexibility if MMM wants to add someone later in the year.
My guess is Smylie might be the third since they have him on the website but has been hurt

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred