• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Coastalraider

Ive been impressed with O'Neill - it must be bloody hard to come from a good squad of solid players and fit into this team.

Imagine being a DM, and every time you look up or midfield is stationary or out of position.

He has also REALLY impressed me with his calmness as a CB.

turbo

He has also REALLY impressed me with his calmness as a CB

I think his stint here will work in his favour - he's shown skill but he's also shown a good attitude within a poor side. He was willing to step out of his comfort zone and play in the backs when MM asked that of him and we looked better for it. There's a lot of talented footballers out there but not all of them have that kind of mindset, I imagine if you're battling relegation he's exactly the sort of player you'd want fighting for the club.

Antlion

I hadn't even considered O'Neill might stay on. It was a loan deal for this season and I'd assumed that was it.

It would have had to have been one hell of an enjoyable season for him to stay on any longer - quite the laughable prospect currently.

All the best to the guy - I hope he makes it big and we can cheer him on in Socceroos colours one day

Antlion

Oar out for three months. Harsh

It's way too much to hope for an injury replacement isn't it

'Meanwhile, Tommy Oar's A-League season is over after the former Socceroo hurt his knee in an ugly fall against the Sky Blues. It's understood he has avoided a tear to his ACL but damaged some other ligaments and suffered a small fracture, and will be sidelined for three months.'
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...or-a-league-s-loan-trend-20190219-p50yvw.html

Antlion

Confirmed - https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/liv...-sidelined-for-the-/6ggfzzpxoowf1vxo1b2rn05w3

Tommy Oar ruled out for the season

1 hour ago 11:16
Central Coast Mariners will be without star player Tommy Oar for the rest of their troubled campaign.

The attacker landed awkwardly against Sydney FC on Sunday which resulted in hyperextension of his knee and caused a posterior capsule ligament sprain.

While Oar won't need surgery at this stage, he's expected to be sidelined for 10-12 weeks and miss the rest of the Mariners' season.

Oar has struggled with injuries since signing for Mike Mulvey's side and is gutted to have his season cut short.

"I am really disappointed to not be able to play again this season,” Oar said.

"I know I’m in great hands with Dave McGinness and the medical team at the Mariners, so I am putting my full focus into getting myself healthy and fully fit for next season.

"Obviously I will be trying to support the boys for the remainder of this season and helping in any way I can around the club. I would also like to thank the fans for how patient they’ve been with me, I really appreciate it and look forward to repaying them next season helping drive the club to success."

Central Coast host Brisbane Roar on Friday night which could well decide who finishes with the wooden spoon this season.

TysonP

Another dud signing of Mulveys mates. Same agent?
Mulvey has far too many strikes for my liking. I think his only good signing was Millar, considering Phelan orchestrated the O'Neill deal. Murray could be good but needs another season or two I think. He's managed to get the three January signings but they were made so late in the window that there is hardly enough time to have an effect. The Sheffield boys were probably Monty's doing and I wouldn't be surprised if Jem is only using us to get to Sydney. Brendan O'Neill and Brillante were looking to go to Europe in Jan so SFC probably looked at Jem and when they didn't get a deal, Jem turned to us.

marinermick

Mulvey has far too many strikes for my liking. I think his only good signing was Millar, considering Phelan orchestrated the O'Neill deal. Murray could be good but needs another season or two I think. He's managed to get the three January signings but they were made so late in the window that there is hardly enough time to have an effect. The Sheffield boys were probably Monty's doing and I wouldn't be surprised if Jem is only using us to get to Sydney. Brendan O'Neill and Brillante were looking to go to Europe in Jan so SFC probably looked at Jem and when they didn't get a deal, Jem turned to us.

I’d say we are more likely to lose Aiden O’Nell to Sydney than them using a visa spot on Jem.

Big Al

Mulvey said in the post game presserthat the Sheffield boys were an experiment.
That traditionally we went for say 30yr old imports. He said something about seeing some reserve premier league under 23’s years ago and thought they’d tear it up in the A League. 10 years ago maybe they would but interesting philosophy that he his trying. Surely it’s more about them being cheap but shows where we are headed. While the two are ok. They certainly don’t dominate like you want a foreign player to do. Well Mallkn hasn’t but Graham had a better game and at 18 was pretty good.

More budget buys to come in the future I’d say

Michael

Many many U23 premier league players would definitely tear up this league.
Our 2 won’t have enough time to do so.

Forum Phoenix

Oar out for three months. Harsh

It's way too much to hope for an injury replacement isn't it

'Meanwhile, Tommy Oar's A-League season is over after the former Socceroo hurt his knee in an ugly fall against the Sky Blues. It's understood he has avoided a tear to his ACL but damaged some other ligaments and suffered a small fracture, and will be sidelined for three months.'
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...or-a-league-s-loan-trend-20190219-p50yvw.html

FFS. When we recruit next season can we please sign a witch doctor as well.

And before anyone jumps on me, I’m well aware it’s a result of our moneyball tactics. High risk strategy. And we’re losing out consistently.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

That traditionally we went for say 30yr old imports. He said something about seeing some reserve premier league under 23’s years ago and thought they’d tear it up in the A League. 10 years ago maybe they would but interesting philosophy that he his trying. Surely it’s more about them being cheap but shows where we are headed. While the two are ok. They certainly don’t dominate like you want a foreign player to do. Well Mallkn hasn’t but Graham had a better game and at 18 was pretty good.

Interesting that this is one of his experiments.

I thought CCM had been trying to introduce youth players from England through their deal with Sheffield set up all those years ago, but have only been able to do it now due to changes in FFA rules.

turbo

Interesting that this is one of his experiments.

I thought CCM had been trying to introduce youth players from England through their deal with Sheffield set up all those years ago, but have only been able to do it now due to changes in FFA rules.

I don’t know about how much the club has tried to do it in the past or about the rule change but it wouldn’t surprise me if MM is claiming that win even if it’s not his. Earlier in the season we heard language that blamed some of the poor results on the culture of losing and distanced himself from that. This could be more of that same strategy to come out looking better than he has been if he and the club part ways. Set up the narrative of look at these good things I did and put the rest of it on the club which is a bit of a punching bag anyway.

Forum Phoenix

I want to win games, but I’m not sure I like this as a long term strategy personally.

A) Seems at odds with our strongly advertised develop the best youth in the country and onsell them strategy

B) little chance good players will stay on, which with 30 year olds you can

C) 1 year deals mean no continuity and creates uncertainty (can someone advise how often clubs do 2 year loans deals?)

D) we can’t lock them in for multi year low wage contracts and hope to monetise them down the track

Ancient Mariner

The only way it can work is if it is seen beneficial to the player and their parent club for them to extend the deal.

I imagine this could work if the player likes Australia and their parent club sees it as a superior league for the young player to develop further.

The other way it can work is if the parent club does not see. future in their league for the young player and is prepared to release them here where they are possibly quite superior in a poorer league.

Whatever, but I agree, a 6 or 12 month holiday without the possibility of extension is a waste of time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred