• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Offsider

There’s still fifteen to go.......... but I’m conceeding this one.

The only improvement in the second half I see is simon hasn’t been offside yet.

Oar hasn’t completed a cross or a pass and mc cormack gets taken off ......... may as well nobody can get the ball past the first line.
Hoole taking the corner ........... no ......... just no ........... and it went nowhere ......... . Wtf.

Elsy uses his hand to stop a goal, doesn’t get sent off, var nothing, commentators flummexed. Harper mutters to hill that nobody can hear ???

I want my money back :doh:

LFCMariners

I haven't read the comments here yet, but a lot of the negativity that's inevitably been posted in the last hour wouldn't exist if this squad had a better ability to score goals.

I say this as an LFC fan who followed the 13/14 season blinded by the ability of Suarez and Stevie G to cover for the tactical naivety of the manager (exposed by Mourinho's Chelsea) or the defensive frailties in the squad (exposed by Palace the following week)

Could've had two goals from penalties today and would only be looking at -1 g/d 3 rounds in. You get players or a setup with the ability to score goals and the scoreboard will take care of itself. Crowds will follow that. Most people aren't interested in paying to sit through losses like today or 1-1 draws every weekend. Take note Mr Charlesworth, if you happen to be reading this. I don't have your money, but as a business owner I know that you sell to people on emotion and keep them with facts. You sell the casual fan on exciting football and goals, and then keep them with having a squad that generally gets the points at home. See the Mckinna years circa 2005-08 if this doesn't make sense, and I'd be happy to link up with you if you're interested. PM me.

Offsider

Just watched the adelaide debacle again............... I know ......... I don’t know why either :doh:

Kurtz gave Mulvey a lesson to be sure.

All of our threats were effectively muffled. Oar didn’t get a cross in, mcCormack not in the game, I was looking forward to him taking the free kicks but it seems he is not in the pecking order, simon they let win the headers because he doesn’t control where they go anyway when he is not offside,

Simon running around like a bull in a china shop is not inspirational. Nobody followed his lead. Mcglinchy is a wasted space ....... he was so outclassed football wise he has been exposed as a future weakness ............ as has murray, millar, oar and kennedy.

yorkshireman

Have to agree offsider, Oar looks out of his depth tbh and Connor looks far better as a starting player. I was very surprised he was dropped to the bench on Sunday.
Our major problem lies around effective transition through to the front line where (if supplied) we should be able to score plenty but with so many defensively minded players, we aren't effectively transitioning through at pace. This is also seen when Golec and Cisse look to play out and they end up having to play long or sideways. The introduction of Hoole could help this issue as long as he doesn't try to overdo his part and push the impossible pass.
Hiariej and O'Neill are both excellent players but neither are especially attacking minded even when encouraged to be so.

After Sunday, no one can have any positives about Kennedy and really he must be dropped as a point whilst he refreshes closing down through balls and not having limp wrists.

Matty has always been the same and I never rated him when he was here before. He was better at Sydney and I assumed it was natural progression but it seems it is more likely that he was given more direct balls there and was required to hold up play less when in general play as the team were under no pressure when he was on.

Lots of lessons to be learnt but at least MMM isn't hiding behind his imaginary view and possession stats.

style_cafe

I`m never really harsh on goalkeepers (both sons were keepers) but due to Kennedy`s blundering mistakes on the weekend he deserves to be dropped to the splinter.
If Pearce is next in line then so be it.
If he doesn`t play well then Gauci gets a run.
We have competition for all positions.
Kennedy shouldn`t be the exception.....:popcorn:

Big Al

Matt Simon 8 goals and 4 assists in last 81 A League games over 3 1/2 seasons

Ross McCormack 15 goals zero assists in 20 A League games. Not even one full season.

So it has to be peak Mariners to make him the #10 and Simon the lead striker.

For all of Mulveys good work, positive attitude if he doesn’t get the most basic thing right then he and the team are cooked

Come on Mike. No more excuses. Words are cheap

pjennings

I`m never really harsh on goalkeepers (both sons were keepers) but due to Kennedy`s blundering mistakes on the weekend he deserves to be dropped to the splinter.
If Pearce is next in line then so be it.
If he doesn`t play well then Gauci gets a run.
We have competition for all positions.
Kennedy shouldn`t be the exception.....:popcorn:

I don't want Kennedy to be the exception - but I don't want Pearce. I acknowledge it is a risk because of lack of game time for Gauci but I would prefer to see him if Kennedy is dropped.

scottmac

Suspended
Matt Simon 8 goals and 4 assists in last 81 A League games over 3 1/2 seasons

Ross McCormack 15 goals zero assists in 20 A League games. Not even one full season.

So it has to be peak Mariners to make him the #10 and Simon the lead striker.

For all of Mulveys good work, positive attitude if he doesn’t get the most basic thing right then he and the team are cooked

Come on Mike. No more excuses. Words are cheap
Hard to argue with that logic

UnitedsNo9

Simon has never been prolific. Agree with those saying he is worth a spot in the squad for reasons Mulvey mentioned, however starting him every week when other much better options available is ludicrous and surely can't be the story for the entire season...

turbo

Minutes would be a fairer comparison but also consider the circumstances in which he was typically being deployed and that it was with the most dominant team of recent times. I think we’re asking a lot more of him than Sydney ever did.

scottmac

Suspended
Simon has never been prolific. Agree with those saying he is worth a spot in the squad for reasons Mulvey mentioned, however starting him every week when other much better options available is ludicrous and surely can't be the story for the entire season...
He had one year where he was prolific for us. The year before he left to China

Big Al

Minutes would be a fairer comparison but also consider the circumstances in which he was typically being deployed and that it was with the most dominant team of recent times. I think we’re asking a lot more of him than Sydney ever did.
Sure and I hopefully can get them. But it was also Apples for Apples in that it was A League games. Didn’t even consider what Ross has done in England.

Also the stats are about Ross as well. Zero assists in that time and now want him to be a #10. Fantastic skills but great touch doesn’t necessarily make a good #10. Work rate is important.
Also a goal a game striker.
It doesn’t really matter what Matt’s stats were Ross is what every team is trying to get and then we somehow pull that off and then play him out of position :doh:

Forum Phoenix

Sure and I hopefully can get them. But it was also Apples for Apples in that it was A League games. Didn’t even consider what Ross has done in England.

Also the stats are about Ross as well. Zero assists in that time and now want him to be a #10. Fantastic skills but great touch doesn’t necessarily make a good #10. Work rate is important.
Also a goal a game striker.
It doesn’t really matter what Matt’s stats were Ross is what every team is trying to get and then we somehow pull that off and then play him out of position :doh:
Yep, there's no arguing he has to be up top. So if MMM wants to keep starting Matty it's either a classic 442 or Ross upfront solo.

But our squad does not fit a narrow diamond 442. We have no true wingback on our right and even Clisby does not offer the attacking skill that a marauding Rosey in his prime could. And we have our best depth at DM.

I think we'll very likely continue to lose the midfield until we get an extra man in there... you could drop Simon to 10 or false 9... but is that combative knock the ball down style suited to Ross's game? And Matty lacks the agility for proper midfield battles also imho.

Matty to bench, with either Hoole or either Tommy coming into 10 for mine.

So

Gauci
Rowles, Cisse, Golec, Clisby
O'neil, Tommy,
Pain, Hoole, Oar,
McCormack

Subs: Weemac for Hoole. Matty for Ross. Murray for Oar or Pain. Or Melling for Tommy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred