• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

marinermick

Does anyone else think that Matt Simon will be appointed captain? He was the one addressing the player group at training today and also the one, with Cisse, that dined with Bolt Saturday night.

Ozhammer

. he has also been wearing the armband in pre-season games ... and is constantly hinted at as a leader by the powers that be
Whilst I wouldn’t question the merit of his candidacy, my big worry is whether we would be likely to get 90 minutes from him every week.

For mine a Captain needs to be playing all game, every game and also needs to be able to influence the management of a game, which is arguably harder to do as a striker than a CB or CM.

localpom

Whilst I wouldn’t question the merit of his candidacy, my big worry is whether we would be likely to get 90 minutes from him every week.

For mine a Captain needs to be playing all game, every game and also needs to be able to influence the management of a game, which is arguably harder to do as a striker than a CB or CM.
At this stage i would be thinking Cisse.

Ozhammer

At this stage i would be thinking Cisse.
Just not sure we have seen enough of Cisse to pass judgement on whether he might have the right sort of character and temperament.

Tommy is the obvious choice for me but his contract currently only runs to the end of the season, meaning we could have to go through this whole process again in 2019/20.

localpom

Just not sure we have seen enough of Cisse to pass judgement on whether he might have the right sort of character and temperament.

Tommy is the obvious choice for me but his contract currently only runs to the end of the season, meaning we could have to go through this whole process again in 2019/20.
Tommy does come to mind but i'm not sure he has the right leadership skills. Lord Golec could be but apart from his injuries i'm not sure he is a certain starter.....it's a tough one at this stage. I'm sure Cisse was brought in for his leadership skills and is known well to Mulvey.

Forum Phoenix

I think Matty Simon as captain is a good statement that we’re all about the culture and connection again. And he certainly leads by example.

Agree with what OH says too. Golec seemed like a good option to me also.

Antlion

I think it will be Captain and Deputy - ala Hutchy and Dutchy

That way if Simon (Captain) goes off Deputy takes over - who though? Golec, Weemac, Hiariej, Cisse...etc etc?

Scotty

Co-captains might be the way to go. Matty and Golec makes sense to me. Having said that, we'd need a third if both are not on the pitch, and that's a distinct possibility. Which brings me to think about who is a regular starter that will be there next season to pick.

scottmac

Suspended

Mulvey has already spent bulk time with Cisse so you are wrong in that he/we don't know his character and temperament. If Matty has held the armband for every game then I'd say the decision is made.

Tevor

Mulvey has already spent bulk time with Cisse so you are wrong in that he/we don't know his character and temperament. If Matty has held the armband for every game then I'd say the decision is made.
Cisse has been getting a lot of attention with the Bolt circus as well, interviews etc. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get the gig.

bikinigirl

. somebody correct me if i'm wrong but i thought i saw the armband being worn in this order in a recent trial:
  • Simon
  • Wee-Mikey
  • Melling !
. note that Cisse was not playing but Golec was on at the end. Tom was off the pitch well beforehand

. you can read as little into that as you like ... but it is gossip time

Reactions: adz

Wombat

Who else is a possible captain?

Kennedy 5/10. Good talk from the back but sometimes a liability when it comes to his real job.
Cisse 6/10. Questions marks all over so far.
Tom. 6.5/10 Not a talker although the best player in the side.
Aiden 7/10. Too young but defo a leader and a leader as a player and a person......i'm praying we sign him to a 5 year contract and build the team around this kid.
Matty 8/10. Quality bloke and clearly a leader. More the sort or bloke that leads by example rather than retoric.
Golec 6/10. Not guaranteed a starting spot. Not a dominant player. Perfect for the off field stuff....articulate and intelligent.
WeeMac 6/10. High quality player and experienced but is he a driver?

This leads me to think we will bring in a Captain in one of the 4 signings we have been promised or Matty will get the gig. I prefer my captain to be in the backs or Midfield but Simon is clearly the obvious choice in this current squad.
The Roughie is Cisse but I haven't seen enough to judge yet.

Tevor

MM is after culture so it will not exactly be our best player. Cisse with Simon as deputy is my prediction. There was a reason MM wanted him and maybe it’s more about leadership than being the best player in the team. Baro was a good player but not an ideal leader on the park IMO.

Doesn’t say much for our current team if we are waiting for a new signing to be our captain. I also think our next few signings if there are any will be low key players and therefore not captain worthy.

Big Al

Le Fondre confirmed us and Newy approached him earlier in the summer but didn’t even get to the point of talking directly to them.

Money maybe as SFC paying him as a Marquee

Source Fox Sports article on him signing and Adam Federci helping him and saying to do it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred