• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Forum Phoenix

While it irks most, I think it's just modern sport. No doubt he'll have been disappointed with the performance but having plenty of ex-teammates on the opposite side is a reality in today's game (not just football either, all sport).

It would be better left to outside the game or dressing room etc though, IMO. Definitely a bad look.

I agree, it is.

Though players should still have enough sense to realise that losing by your biggest ever margin to your biggest rivals is going to be absolutely devastating to the fans.

I’m going to scapegoat Okon a bit on this one. Because A) he seemed to stop caring 8 weeks before that game. B) if his half time talk was all about playing for your hurting fans and pride in the shirt. Does that happen? I can’t believe that doesn’t affect players head spaces. C) given he obviously never told DaSilva; if you don’t play I’m outing you and your name till be mid. The culture leading into that game must have been terrible. And Kennedy is a pretty simple and affable guy from what I’ve seen. His Poor form I think was largely his limited skills showing in a difficult place, while getting rubbed by his old team mates for a horrific game and so tries to laugh it off.

Anyway, I hated it, and his keeping, with a passion that game, but that was my take on his reaction.

Big Al

I agree, it is.

Though players should still have enough sense to realise that losing by your biggest ever margin to your biggest rivals is going to be absolutely devastating to the fans.

I’m going to scapegoat Okon a bit on this one. Because A) he seemed to stop caring 8 weeks before that game. B) if his half time talk was all about playing for your hurting fans and pride in the shirt. Does that happen? I can’t believe that doesn’t affect players head spaces. C) given he obviously never told DaSilva; if you don’t play I’m outing you and your name till be mid. The culture leading into that game must have been terrible. And Kennedy is a pretty simple and affable guy from what I’ve seen. His Poor form I think was largely his limited skills showing in a difficult place, while getting rubbed by his old team mates for a horrific game and so tries to laugh it off.

Anyway, I hated it, and his keeping, with a passion that game, but that was my take on his reaction.
Paul was already gone. It was sully in charge that night

pjennings

Since we are still looking at a CAM and striker would it be worthwhile looking at Scott McDonald. Surely his wage demands wouldn't be that high now and he can play both positions..

pjennings

Scott McDonald: I’m not retired, but there’s no Australian offers

August 17, 2018

Former Socceroo Scott McDonald has revealed that while he is yet to reach a decision on his immediate playing future, he has not received any offers to join A-League clubs.

A report in the Scottish press a fortnight ago reported McDonald had called time on his playing career in favour of a move into punditry, but the Daily Football Show later learned that was not the case.

McDonald, 34, has been without a club since leaving Scottish Championship side Dundee United in June after they failed to gain promotion back to the top flight.

Since, the 26-times capped Socceroo has been open-minded on his next move and is yet to decide what his next step holds, and has not ruled out retiring.

On Friday’s Daily Football Show, McDonald said he had a number of avenues open to him, but would not be returning to his home country to play professional football.

“Everything’s pretty much up in the air, I’m actually not sure if I will play again, so I think that’s why it was pre-empted that I was on the road to retirement,” he explained.

“I’m just really waiting. I’ve had a couple of things come up and opportunities abroad, nothing from Australia which obviously was disappointing.

“Obviously I’m getting a little bit older, and in terms of what people are probably looking at, then that’s fair enough so that opportunity never arose.

“Back here and further afield, there has been a couple of things, but nothing that’s really tickled my fancy and at the moment, I’m really enjoying the media side of things over here and I’m just gearing up to do my UEFA Pro-licence as well.

“So there’s plenty going on without the playing side, but still not decided yet whether or not I’m going to hang them up.”

McDonald has not graced a football field in Australia at club level since 2000, when he left Casey Comets to join English team Southampton.

Thereafter, he has spent 18 years in the UK with English and Scottish clubs, perhaps most notably with Middlesbrough, Motherwell and Celtic from 2004 through 2013.

McDonald was hotly linked with Western Sydney Wanderers some year or so ago, but no move eventuated.

https://dailyfootballshow.com/scott-mcdonald-im-not-retired-but-theres-no-australian-offers/

JoyfulPenguin

I have always been a fan of McDonald so would prefer him to Golgol......but neither are likely for us.
Golgol on his way to Turkish or Bundesliga 2 club apparently doubt we would ever get him. McDonald on the other hand I think we would be in with a shot shot, isn't our back line a bit more pressing at the current time though?

Forum Phoenix

While I always liked him, I think McDonald would struggle at 34, and in the last decade the modern game has left strikers better suited to 442 and poaching goals like him behind imo

pjennings

While I always liked him, I think McDonald would struggle at 34, and in the last decade the modern game has left strikers better suited to 442 and poaching goals like him behind imo

McDonald was particularly effective (in the younger NTs) when playing with Josh Kennedy as a target man. The senior NT played with a single striker and he really struggled. He could be a good foil for Matty Simon.

bikinigirl

. so far in pre-season Mulvey has been playing three at the back and two upfront (in some shape or form)

Forum Phoenix

. so far in pre-season Mulvey has been playing three at the back and two upfront (in some shape or form)

I haven’t seen enough to tell to be honest, but 352 usually works pretty differently to the older more common 442 from my understanding. And I also just don’t see that clsssic target man who knocks it down for his offsider or players who get to focus on lurking around the box anywhere anymore.

Midfield battle and transition has become everything, most teams only have one ‘striker’ and multiple forwards - who all have strong defensive requirements. And our approach seems better suited to a team/club who are going to fight and grind out results, as opposed to play their opponents off the park with one touch possession game.

3 at the back is only in attack, and seems likely has been chosen in no small part because we’re prioritising setting ourselves up well defensively. Virtually everyone back behind the ball. Then breaking fast or trying to over balance sides through our wingbacks. That match our style?

Strikers just don’t get to camp or lurk in their opponents 18 yard box anymore. Which was McDonalds bread and butter.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred