• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

Gratis

I've yet to comment on Roux's departure so I will now-
Bye Roux.

Seen like a nice guy and have potential in parts of the game, but not cutting it where we need you to cut it so no point carrying on with it all. All the best.

JoyfulPenguin

If it's true I'm sad to see him go, has been a great servant to the club but he hasn't been the same since his injury. McGing going past him at right back sealed his fate. If he can improve his crossing and get tighter too his man before they get a cross in he will be a great player. He knows how to overlap exceptionally well and his maurading runs get him into great positions. A change of scenery and coach might help him fulfill his potential.

Josho Howe

I feel as if Storm's time at the club is slightly underrated. Was very very good in a poor team a few years ago. Just a shame that awful injury has meant he hasn't been able to get back to his best form. He's only the 10th player in the club's history to make over 100 appearances. Wishing him all the best in Melbourne.

Josho Howe

It is absolutely imperative that we sign an above average A-League quality striker for next season. We cannot have 3 wingers starting up front and 5 at the back. While the defence has been decent for most games, it's no use when our attack is so toothless. Powell and Bingham should be moved on. Bring in a great foreign striker and get a good NPL1 striker as a back up.

pjennings

I'd love to see a great foreign striker but rather than a NPL striker I'd like to see Mulvey (if he is in the manager) see if he could attract (even if only on loan) some of his own players that are os. Players like Yeboah and Halloran that seem to be only getting sparse game time might add a fair bit to our attack and as loan players might not coast a packet.

Left and right back are also areas that we should be looking at strengthening.

Big Al

I feel as if Storm's time at the club is slightly underrated. Was very very good in a poor team a few years ago. Just a shame that awful injury has meant he hasn't been able to get back to his best form. He's only the 10th player in the club's history to make over 100 appearances. Wishing him all the best in Melbourne.
Was a lot better years ago but was never a good defender. Was caught out of position or loosing his man way to often which got worse after his injury. In poor teams he got worse. To think we were worried about loosing him last contract and now it’s take him

Big Al

It is absolutely imperative that we sign an above average A-League quality striker for next season. We cannot have 3 wingers starting up front and 5 at the back. While the defence has been decent for most games, it's no use when our attack is so toothless. Powell and Bingham should be moved on. Bring in a great foreign striker and get a good NPL1 striker as a back up.
Skapetis can be the backup but the service has been utter dribble for a couple of years. Need a better system and a quality winger who can hit the striker not the defender. Both Hoole and DDS have given terrible service as well as the wingers. You can count the bad misses on one hand as the ball never got where it needed to.
The Skapetis goal when he was on for a hot minute and got a ripper ball for the headed goal is all to rare this season.

Also because our wingers don’t score the defence can cramp our striker. Also the constant back passing meant the Striker had two defenders on them almost permanently

Ancient Mariner

Skapetis can be the backup but the service has been utter dribble for a couple of years. Need a better system and a quality winger who can hit the striker not the defender. Both Hoole and DDS have given terrible service as well as the wingers. You can count the bad misses on one hand as the ball never got where it needed to.
The Skapetis goal when he was on for a hot minute and got a ripper ball for the headed goal is all to rare this season.

Also because our wingers don’t score the defence can cramp our striker. Also the constant back passing meant the Striker had two defenders on them almost permanently

Exactly, Asdrubal did not have homesickness, he was suffering from depression from lack of service.

Big Al

Just give us a Leroy George or a Adrian Mierzejewski. That turn and layoff in the leadup to Simon’s goal was awesome.

We don’t need a top striker with one of those guys. They make average players look good and they score as well as assist

pjennings

Simply put - for the squad we had we under-performed. However, whatever manager we get, we seriously underspent and that will need to be rectified if we seriously want to challenge.

With some judicious purchases we can probably spend halfway between the floor and the cap and compete for 5th and 6th. However, to compete for the top 4 will probably mean a spend of at least $800,000 more. At this stage, it sounds like neither of those are likely and we will spending at the floor again.

I understand that it is not my money I am talking about but for $800,000 extra we could seriously overhaul the squad, compete for the top 4 and hopefully bring back some fans. In the process, increased sponsorship, memberships and gate takings can be balanced against the extra $800,000.

It really is a case of spend the $800,000 extra in the belief that an improved squad and competitiveness will stop the bleeding of fans away from the club and hopefully reverse it. If not I truly believe that our crowds and memberships can only go one way and with it sponsorships. By saving the $800,000 on the squad what are we incurring in the way of lost income? If we save 1200 memberships that we would lose that is close to $240,000. If we can increase walk-ups by 1500 a game that is probably close to $450,000. A successful team would also by easier to sell to sponsors.

Mariners supporters have been incredibly loyal given the last few years - but they need to see something they can believe in on the field. An increase in the squad cost is needed. If that means some new sponsors for 'marquee-type players' , if it means a better deal for the Council for their only permanent tenant, if it means another investor to come in with Mike or if it means needs Mike to invest more into the squad (sorry Mike) then that is what is needed.

Last edited:

Big Al

Simply put - for the squad we had we under-performed. However, whatever manager we get, we seriously underspent and that will need to be rectified if we seriously want to challenge.

With some judicious purchases we can probably spend halfway between the floor and the cap and compete for 5th and 6th. However, to compete for the top 4 will probably mean a spend of at least $800,000 more. At this stage, it sounds like neither of those are likely and we will spending at the floor again.

I understand that it is not my money I am talking about but for $800,000 extra we could seriously overhaul the squad, compete for the top 4 and hopefully bring back some fans. In the process, increased sponsorship, memberships and gate takings can be balanced against the extra $800,000.

It really is a case of spend the $800,000 extra in the belief that an improved squad and competitiveness will stop the bleeding of fans away from the club and hopefully reverse it. If not I truly believe that our crowds and memberships can only go one way and with it sponsorships. By saving the $800,000 on the squad what are we incurring in the way of lost income? If we save 1200 memberships that we would lose that is close to $240,000. If we can increase walk-ups by 1500 a game that is probably close to $450,000. A successful team would also by easier to sell to sponsors.

Mariners supporters have been incredibly loyal given the last few years - but they need to see something they can believe in on the field. An increase in the squad cost is needed. If that means some new sponsors for 'marquee-type players' , if it means a better deal for the Council for their only permanent tenant, if it means another investor to come in with Mike or if it means needs to invest more into the squad (sorry Mike) then that is what is needed.
More DDS deals to get that talent.

Nico Martinez was on loan where some of his wages where paid by his parent club last season.

We need to target these types. We get better players but our actual cash outlay stays within our very tight budget.

Forum Phoenix

I'd love to see a great foreign striker but rather than a NPL striker I'd like to see Mulvey (if he is in the manager) see if he could attract (even if only on loan) some of his own players that are os. Players like Yeboah and Halloran that seem to be only getting sparse game time might add a fair bit to our attack and as loan players might not coast a packet.

Left and right back are also areas that we should be looking at strengthening.

I'm wondering if he might not know a worthwhile target that he could poach from Malaysia for our back up striker.

style_cafe

I'm wondering if he might not know a worthwhile target that he could poach from Malaysia for our back up striker.
MM was saying tonight that Thai & Malaysian players would be reluctant to leave there own country as they have a lot of status amongst their countrymen whereas here they would be virtually unknown.

Wombat

Thai Messi please Mike as your Marquee:overheadl:
Do that and I'll take a Corporate box.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members