• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

localpom

After my rant after the SydneyFC game, I don't quite know how to feel about this - no wonder I enjoy kickboxing, all this confusion and frustration has to be expressed somehow! ;)

Once that's said, with Powell and Bingers presumably on the way out and Rosie definitely going, there's a certain argument along the lines of what I made in wanting to keep him around, when we first let him go. If he can rekindle a love for the club, I reckon he's the sort of character who can spark it around him... As long as it's as a backup forward, I certainly don't think he's worse than Powell or Bingers - probably fairly on-par but with more mongrel.
But perhaps more important, is the signal MM sends with this, as compared to Paolo's letting Hutch go, it certainly doesn't hurt the connection to the club's history...
Let's see...
Matty is well above Powell or Bingers IMO. Would welcome him back with open arms. That said we need maybe 3 strikers and he would only be one. The thing that Matty does well is hold the ball up, we have had no one who can do that for some time. I wouldn't mind

Coastalraider

I would be 100% on board for this, if he is our number 2 striker. He was part of the mariners when we were a proud team, and plays with obvious passion. His market value dropped significantly from all reports when he didn't sign with us, and accepted a low offer from the Scum to stay in the league, so:
-Proven striker
-Knows intimately the culture we are trying to reproduce
-Budget buy
-Local boy
-can be a genuine mariners leader, of which we currently have zero now that Monty and Rosey have retired.
-He will stir passion in the community
-The signing would strengthen Mulveys narrative.

Sign.Him.Up.

Ancient Mariner

Oh no.

He has everything we want except goals which we need desperately.

I love Mat and still cheer for him at SFC but I’m far from convinced he’s going to get the job of scoring done.

His 15 minute cameos has only been to protect leads. We better be in front is all I’ll say.

That said I’d rather his fight than any of the other players I’ve seen except Monty since he left.

Be interested to see who else might leave now Arnie is moving on

CONTRACTED FOR 2019/20

#1) Andrew Redmayne
#7) Michael Zullo
#10) Milos Ninkovic (1)
#11) Adrian Mierzejewski
#12) Aaron Calver

CONTRACTED FOR 2018/19

#3) Ben Warland
#6) Josh Brillante
#9) Deyvison Rogerio (Bobô) da Silva (1)
#13) Brandon O'Neill
#20) Alex Cisak
#23) Rhyan Grant

CONTRACTED FOR 2017/18

#4) Alex Wilkinson
#8) Paulo Retre
#12) Fabio Ferreira
#14) Alex Brosque
#19) Chris Zuvela
#24) Charles Lokoli-Ngoy

POSSIBLY OUT THE DOOR

#5) Jordy Buijs
#16) Anthony Kalik (Loan)
#17) David Carney
#18) Matt Simon
#26) Luke Wilkshire

(1) Announced but not yet signed.

Updated 5 April 2018

Ancient Mariner

I would like Wilko. Strengthens central defence Barro, Wilko, Rowles, Golec and allows the possibility of Golec and/Rowles playing fullback.
I have not seen enough of either of them in the FB position but it could work. I suspect Jordy could be too expensive.

Insertnamehere

CONTRACTED FOR 2019/20

#1) Andrew Redmayne
#7) Michael Zullo
#10) Milos Ninkovic (1)
#11) Adrian Mierzejewski
#12) Aaron Calver

CONTRACTED FOR 2018/19

#3) Ben Warland
#6) Josh Brillante
#9) Deyvison Rogerio (Bobô) da Silva (1)
#13) Brandon O'Neill
#20) Alex Cisak
#23) Rhyan Grant

CONTRACTED FOR 2017/18

#4) Alex Wilkinson
#8) Paulo Retre
#12) Fabio Ferreira
#14) Alex Brosque
#19) Chris Zuvela
#24) Charles Lokoli-Ngoy

POSSIBLY OUT THE DOOR

#5) Jordy Buijs
#16) Anthony Kalik (Loan)
#17) David Carney
#18) Matt Simon
#26) Luke Wilkshire

(1) Announced but not yet signed.

Updated 5 April 2018
Wilko defs chase
Maybe buijs
That's Charles kid is meant to be a gun.

Ancient Mariner

Of those off contract excluding Josh we have

Let go
Glover - probably cheap but would prefer Oldfield to push or push out Kennedy
Pearce - don't need a 3rd Keeper
Bingham

Keep
Kennedy - serviceable but can do with someone to push him
Golec - keep if recovered to play as LB
Rowles - good prospect
Rose - finally showing something
Pain - definite stay but maybe not a starter

Undecided leaning towards let go
Poscoliero - we need someone at least of the calibre of Rowles but hopefully closer to Baro's quality
Melling - need better
Skapetis - need better but might be kept as backup on depending on strikers signed
Powell - smart but slow

I am leaning more strongly to letting go your all your undecided and moving Rose into the undecided category. Thus keeping 4 or 5 of the 13 leaving 8 or 9 spaces.

nebakke

Considering we have TBT to cover both wing and FWD, I think I'd be alright with something along the lines of keeping Skapetis, signing Matty S and then putting real money into a decent first-choice striker.

So... Recruiting-on-a-budget...

A large part of my frustration this season, has been that I still firmly believe that we were only ever a striker (and probably a decent tactician) away from being at least in top-6... So if we can bolster the strikers by at least adding a guy who can hit the target and mix with a guy who can stir things up a bit, i'd be Ok with seeing where Skapetis could take it.
It's no secret that I'm fscking frustrated with hoole, but in light of our finances, it'd probably be fine to see how he'd go in a team where the striker can actually deliver - I expect half his problem the second half of this season, has been a complete lack of faith that any of his forward-moving work would come to fruition, so he's just started faffing around with side-ways-y stuff while he tries to work out how he might be able to do something himself.
I'm in two minds about Pain - he shows promise and energy at times... But he also often seems unable to recognise when his positioning is off. So he'll stand there and scream for the ball, frustrated... In a position where clearly he'll be swamped by defenders by the time the cross lands, rather than trying to work with what's going on.
I'd be OK with keeping Kennedy in goals I think - assuming that a bit more work up front would take a bit of pressure off him... Not sure about our second-stringer-options.
Re-sign Golec and maybe look at Wilko if we can, moving Golec out to the wing... But then we'd need to hold on to McGing as well, that gives us McGing, Rowles and Golec to play Full Backs (hasn't Wilko done that a couple of times too?) granted, they're all conversions, but short of some magic from youth, I'm not sure that we can do much else.
Oh, and going on his performance since Paolo left, keep RoseJr and probably dump Melling...

So something like:
-------------------Kennedy
McGing -- Baro -- Rowles/Golec/?Wilko? -- Golec
-----------God -------------------------- Brama
DDS/Wales/Hoole
TBT/Hoole ------------------------------ Pain/Hoole
/Wales ------------------------------------------
----------- New Guy/Skap/MattyS/TBT -----

Would probably not be the worst budget squad we could load up I think.

Scotty

Considering we have TBT to cover both wing and FWD, I think I'd be alright with something along the lines of keeping Skapetis, signing Matty S and then putting real money into a decent first-choice striker.

A large part of my frustration this season, has been that I still firmly believe that we were only ever a striker (and probably a decent tactician) away from being at least in top-6... So if we can bolster the strikers by at least adding a guy who can hit the target and mix with a guy who can stir things up a bit, i'd be Ok with seeing where Skapetis could take it.
It's no secret that I'm fscking frustrated with hoole, but in light of our finances, it'd probably be fine to see how he'd go in a team where the striker can actually deliver - I expect half his problem the second half of this season, has been a complete lack of faith that any of his forward-moving work would come to fruition, so he's just started faffing around with side-ways-y stuff while he tries to work out how he might be able to do something himself.
I'm in two minds about Pain - he shows promise and energy at times... But he also often seems unable to recognise when his positioning is off. So he'll stand there and scream for the ball, frustrated... In a position where clearly he'll be swamped by defenders by the time the cross lands, rather than trying to work with what's going on.
I'd be OK with keeping Kennedy in goals I think - assuming that a bit more work up front would take a bit of pressure off him... Not sure about our second-stringer-options.
Re-sign Golec and maybe look at Wilko if we can, moving Golec out to the wing... But then we'd need to hold on to McGing as well, that gives us McGing, Rowles and Golec to play Full Backs (hasn't Wilko done that a couple of times too?) granted, they're all conversions, but short of some magic from youth, I'm not sure that we can do much else.
Oh, and going on his performance since Paolo left, keep RoseJr and probably dump Melling...

So something like:
DDS/Wales/Hoole

Yep, like the look of that. The addition of Wilko, a first-rate $triker and a quality winger to replace Pain or Hoole would make us top six material.

localpom

Yep, like the look of that. The addition of Wilko, a first-rate $triker and a quality winger to replace Pain or Hoole would make us top six material.
We need a RB and LB too. Rosey is retiring and Storm looking likely to go to MV.
All we have left are players we need to play out of position (McGing/Rowles/Golec). Can't underestimate how important good backs are, that's where at least half of our crosses come from.
Quality winger? Think WeeMac is out of contract and has floundered a bit at the Nix. Wouldn't be expensive and is versatile.

go you yellow

We need a RB and LB too. Rosey is retiring and Storm looking likely to go to MV.
All we have left are players we need to play out of position (McGing/Rowles/Golec). Can't underestimate how important good backs are, that's where at least half of our crosses come from.
Quality winger? Think WeeMac is out of contract and has floundered a bit at the Nix. Wouldn't be expensive and is versatile.

Weemac hasnt showed quality at the nix, but he has never been cheap -

midfielder

Hand on heart not the other thing we can do better than Matty ... love the guy .... will be highly surprised if he signed...

nebakke

Hand on heart not the other thing we can do better than Matty ... love the guy .... will be highly surprised if he signed...

It's not just a forward though. I mean at best he'd be second stringer. But he's one of only two players that i can think of, who is still playing next year and who used to embody what the club stood for. If he can still find that then i reckon he's a decent option. Especially if we're hiting to a budget and need to fill those other spaces as well.

shipwreck

If we can get him Cheap it will be, at the very least, a smart statement by MM that we are trying to undo mistakes of the past.
I see this as more of a political statement off the field than a tactical move on the field.

If he would play for Powell and Bingers salary combined and we release those two, that's a net gain Imo

Big Al

If we can get him Cheap it will be, at the very least, a smart statement by MM that we are trying to undo mistakes of the past.
I see this as more of a political statement off the field than a tactical move on the field.

If he would play for Powell and Bingers salary combined and we release those two, that's a net gain Imo
Totally respect this and understand it but talk is cheap we need football results.

We have a fantastic off field team but that doesn’t make the fans turn up when we see loss after loss and poor effort after poor effort and tactical stupidity.

Matt does give us everything we are craving but his goal scoring has been poor for years.

Which is more important goals or attitude? If we could have both it would be unbelievable.

This year guts and determination would have been very handy.

The thing i fear is the pressure from Matt not scoring puts immense pressure on the No1 striker to score plenty.

Also Matt has to be used correctly. Last time he was here he got no service what so ever and no one running off his balls won or contested. TBT speed could be used to great effect off Matt. 442 even;)

I won’t be disappointed either way but am not convinced it’s the right signing although it will be good for the community it can back fire as Matt has a few detractors as well

Wombat

For me it's a smart signing.
Far better player than Powell and Bingers.

I remember talking to him when Moss was bumbling along and he was horrified at the lack of fight we had under a clearly clueless coach.
A very honest and gutsy player. If he fits in the budget and understands he will be a squaddie unless he is scoring like he is playing against us.....I would definitely sign him.

Forum Phoenix

So something like:
DDS/Wales/Hoole

If that's how we line up then I think we'd still perform similar to this year imo, because pllaying two holding midfielders without quality wingbacks is just not enough attacking power and too easy to shut down. With 7/4 splits between attack and defense you just can't have two converted CB's with low ball skills who are not really box to box and are ill suited in frame or speed and expect to seriously compete for mine.

Forum Phoenix

Wrote my last post before I git to this. Bang on. Though I'm less sure about Weemac.

Forum Phoenix

Totally respect this and understand it but talk is cheap we need football results.

We have a fantastic off field team but that doesn’t make the fans turn up when we see loss after loss and poor effort after poor effort and tactical stupidity.

Matt does give us everything we are craving but his goal scoring has been poor for years.

Which is more important goals or attitude? If we could have both it would be unbelievable.

This year guts and determination would have been very handy.

The thing i fear is the pressure from Matt not scoring puts immense pressure on the No1 striker to score plenty.

Also Matt has to be used correctly. Last time he was here he got no service what so ever and no one running off his balls won or contested. TBT speed could be used to great effect off Matt. 442 even;)

I won’t be disappointed either way but am not convinced it’s the right signing although it will be good for the community it can back fire as Matt has a few detractors as well

This is how I see it also. Wild passion is great. But in a struggling side it also quickly and often turns to immense frustration. And to prevent the struggling, first and foremost we need goals.

That said, I still would not say no to Matt as a number two. Because he is better than what we have at present. But we really need ambition for a quality striker in guise of Fornaroli, Berisha, Bobo level... I doubt Matt would be any other HAL sides starting striker. So I donlt think he should be our either. Though in a 442. Agree, he would undoubtedly cause havoc. But IMO our 3 best players are clearly Tom, Wout and Baro, so we need to build our game around that and a 442 would not work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred