• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

IF there was to be a new coach next season - who?

Josho Howe

They’ll be alright.
They asked me this year and i said no and they just hang up never to be heard from again. They are just interns. No targets no metrics no sales pitch. Just can i have your money and if no ok.

Yeah can confirm this was the case. I wanted to help the club and getting to become an intern was at first nice and l wanted to try and make a difference but cold calling members in the winter time wasn't fun at all. I appreciate all the people who were pleasant and wanted to have a chat with me, that was 95% of the time. The other 5% was yelling at me at the state of the club like it was my fault. I'm a fan like you so that was annoying. I wanted to do more at the club in a media capacity and l did get some chances to do that which l am thankful, shout out to Tyson Scott for that, but the rest of it wasn't a lot of fun tbh, but that was what l signed up for. I left because l wasn't enjoying it and getting no money for your effort gets old after a while.

I agree about getting the higher ups doing calls but it'll never happen.

Woollybutt

He did a great job with Hakeem BUT he is a complete wanker in general. I simply can't see him in a roll like this. He is an opinionated tv pundit but that doesn't mean he has a clue about anything involved in running a club.
For what it's worth, he revealed in the Herald today that he'd been approached about the technical director job at FFA and has done his coaching licences, so he seems to be on the lookout for something different. My point was really that most decent coaches would probably prefer to wait for another offer rather than accept a job with us that, based on the last five blokes to try it, is a career killer. With the club in its current state, the next coach needs to be someone with a clear, long-term vision and the ego to think they can pull it off. I don't particularly like Foster, but he's stubborn and has consistent ideas that don't rely on recreating someone else's approach.

It's more of a thought experiment anyway, a way to explain the kind of coach we need to resurrect the club rather than an attempt to start a #announcefoster campaign. I'd be happy with anyone who can come in with a long-term plan and give us an identity beyond pitiable losers, but there aren't a lot of coaches out there who'd see the job as anything more than a stepping stone.

Pirate Pete

https://outline.com/PTacFg
Phil Brown?
phil-brown-phone.jpg

Hello? Central Coast Mariners? Who the f**k are they?

Big Al

Yeah can confirm this was the case. I wanted to help the club and getting to become an intern was at first nice and l wanted to try and make a difference but cold calling members in the winter time wasn't fun at all. I appreciate all the people who were pleasant and wanted to have a chat with me, that was 95% of the time. The other 5% was yelling at me at the state of the club like it was my fault. I'm a fan like you so that was annoying. I wanted to do more at the club in a media capacity and l did get some chances to do that which l am thankful, shout out to Tyson Scott for that, but the rest of it wasn't a lot of fun tbh, but that was what l signed up for. I left because l wasn't enjoying it and getting no money for your effort gets old after a while.

I agree about getting the higher ups doing calls but it'll never happen.
Was interested to see if you might say differently and had just slipped through the cracks.

Shame but interns can only do so much as without training they can’t be given to much responsibility but I’d have thought memberships would have been a bigger deal. Sure give you a crack but get you to make notes and then let the actual people come in and show you how to direct a conversation in he direction they want. That is training for you as well.

Just makes you wonder how simple business practices are not followed. A good salesperson would be very important in that capacity and most of us just want to have a whinge then be convinced we really do love the club and it’s better we pull our credit card out and sign up again.

Shame the intern didn’t work for you but really as you say the free labour and excited feeling of working for the club wears off quick when you don’t learn or get anything out of it.

Wombat

It’s Mike Phelan.

Oh great you need a hand at Man U

Ummmm no not really I’m doing a cracking job there but i do have an opening for you somewhere a little warmer. Do you have a passport

Beep beep beep

Brown was awesome at Hull but his win ratio (apart from at Bolton, which was superb) is not exciting. He would certainly be a step up from what we are used to but he is also a little bit crazy.

Forum Phoenix

It depends on whether Charlesworth actually wants us to improve. If he's not willing to make massive changes, we may as well stick with Mulvey so we don't screw up some other poor bastard's career. The fact that none of our last three coaches, or five if you count Hutch and Sully, have gone onto a senior head coaching job after leaving us is one of the worst indictments of the way we do things. Whether it's because we're appointing the wrong people in the first place or destroying decent people through mismanagement and a toxic work environment (probably a bit of both to be honest), the fact that our club has turned into an abattoir for coaching careers is a disgrace. If senior management aren't ashamed of that, then there's no point trying to find another coach.

If Charlesworth has been running us into the ground while holding out for an independent league and actually wants us to improve, then we need to both be ambitious and think outside the box. My nomination would be Foster (I'm preparing for an avalanche of disagreement now). He seems a bit of a wanker and has no record in management, but I'm reminded of the fact that I didn't want Arnie as coach because he was a dick with no achievements in management. I think Foster could be persuaded to join on something like a five year deal with legal guarantees that he would be in sole charge of everything football related - complete freedom to pick his own staff, own players, and even his own brand of bottled water, plus a wider remit to transform the club into his vision of what a small Australian football club can be. Maybe an offer to move into a technical director job when he's identified a suitable successor or something. So instead of getting Phelan to do a half-arsed review of the club, we appoint a manager who, polarising football hipster wanker or not, has a consistent vision for what an Australian football club should look like and has the energy and enthusiasm to see the project through. I'm sure we could sell it to him as the chance to leave a concrete legacy in Australia by turning the club into a Socceroo factory that uses its academy and a link with the Football School to produce technically and tactically astute footballers in the country. So instead of trying to rebuild a culture that worked years ago, we enjoy the memories of the McKinna-Arnold years, block out the memories of the Mulvey cover band, and try to be something completely new. Getting Foster would give us an identity again, put an end to screwing over players and get the PFA back on side, show that we're serious about changing and improving, show that we're not hiring yes-men anymore, and help with attracting the best young Australian players again.

Look out below!!!

Here’s my little avalanche.

I rarely sling crap at people and like to be charitable always if I can. So here’s my gentlest possible take on Fister.

He’s a vain glorious publicity whore. He has the making’s of a good politician or life insurance salesmen, not a football manager.

Charlesworth will probably love the idea.

Which is exactly why he’s wrong for this or any other job at CCM.

Kudos for thinking outside the box. But an arrogant,opinionated, narcissist with no serious coaching pedegree is not what we need.

Forum Phoenix

For what it's worth, he revealed in the Herald today that he'd been approached about the technical director job at FFA and has done his coaching licences, so he seems to be on the lookout for something different. My point was really that most decent coaches would probably prefer to wait for another offer rather than accept a job with us that, based on the last five blokes to try it, is a career killer. With the club in its current state, the next coach needs to be someone with a clear, long-term vision and the ego to think they can pull it off. I don't particularly like Foster, but he's stubborn and has consistent ideas that don't rely on recreating someone else's approach.

It's more of a thought experiment anyway, a way to explain the kind of coach we need to resurrect the club rather than an attempt to start a #announcefoster campaign. I'd be happy with anyone who can come in with a long-term plan and give us an identity beyond pitiable losers, but there aren't a lot of coaches out there who'd see the job as anything more than a stepping stone.

I agree with everything you surmise by the way woolybutt, and like your reasoning, just greatly differ on the conclusion.

FFC Mariner

Look out below!!!

Here’s my little avalanche.

I rarely sling crap at people and like to be charitable always if I can. So here’s my gentlest possible take on Fister.

He’s a vain glorious publicity whore. He has the making’s of a good politician or life insurance salesmen, not a football manager.

Charlesworth will probably love the idea.

Which is exactly why he’s wrong for this or any other job at CCM.

Kudos for thinking outside the box. But an arrogant,opinionated, narcissist with no serious coaching pedegree is not what we need.

You missed lazy - bloke works a few hours a day

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Personally I think Mulvey needs to go. He has no idea what he's doing. He showed that when he didn't bother with a preseason. He made it clear that he had no idea where the league was at and halfway through the season only starts to realise where we've been the last 5 years (seriously? On his salary he hasn't done extensive review of what our last few seasons have been???). I'd love to know who is responsible for not only our fitness coach leaving, but not getting another one in ASAP - but surely if MM saw the importance of it he'd be pushing hard.

Presumably he has a big say in recruitment and what we've seen this season is he has no interest whatsoever in re-signing our good players. He thinks our best player (Hiariej) is trash, for reasons known only to him. And just as the team starts to gel together and turn a corner, he completely disrupts it by throwing in 3 new players starting and we're back to Round 1 in terms of quality.

And I've said it a few times on here, but Kennedy not having a defender protecting him has also got to fall back on MM.

And then there's his subs, and his questionable bench choices. He doesn't know what he's doing.

But, what we're starting to see it that he's only part of the picture. What we've all realised this season is our club seems to be rotten to the core off the field as well. The culture seems to be f**ked.

So no matter who the coach is, I think we're still going to see a lot of the same problems plaguing us. We need a new coach - but he's not the only one that needs to go.

Antlion

Brown was awesome at Hull but his win ratio (apart from at Bolton, which was superb) is not exciting. He would certainly be a step up from what we are used to but he is also a little bit crazy.
A little crazy would work for MC as insurance. Distractions regardless of results

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I'd punt Monty - club stalwart he may be but he is partially responsible and if Vulvey goes, so does he.
However, Charlesworth is a glory hunting fan boy and being able to talk to someone who has played in the EPL is too big a buzz for him.
You'd also have to ditch the other assistant coach by that logic. Which I doubt you'd have a problem with :p

One one hand, I agree - logically the assistant coach is highly responsible for the O/35D grade performances we regularly see. But that's also assuming MM allows him autonomy and responsibility. It might just be a 'do exactly what I say at training' sort of arrangement, which surely limits Monty's culpability.

Woollybutt

I agree with everything you surmise by the way woolybutt, and like your reasoning, just greatly differ on the conclusion.
Don't worry, this isn't the hill I want to die on. I'd be much happier with someone like Cahn who could bring their own long-term vision and end the bullshit treatment of the players, but I'm pessimistic about convincing that kind of coach to join. Our best argument should be that we can offer a stepping stone to bigger jobs, but that's demonstrably untrue at the moment and also undercuts the idea of a long-term plan. Which leaves us with the option of massively overpaying someone to convince them to join, or limiting our search to coaches who like the idea of a beach holiday. Or, we could find someone with enough of an ego to think that they can turn around the worst club in Australia, reshape it in their image, and ascend to their rightful status as God of Australian Football ;)

Forum Phoenix

Don't worry, this isn't the hill I want to die on. I'd be much happier with someone like Cahn who could bring their own long-term vision and end the bullshit treatment of the players, but I'm pessimistic about convincing that kind of coach to join. Our best argument should be that we can offer a stepping stone to bigger jobs, but that's demonstrably untrue at the moment and also undercuts the idea of a long-term plan. Which leaves us with the option of massively overpaying someone to convince them to join, or limiting our search to coaches who like the idea of a beach holiday. Or, we could find someone with enough of an ego to think that they can turn around the worst club in Australia, reshape it in their image, and ascend to their rightful status as God of Australian Football ;)

Agree our next coach is going to have to be either arrogant enough, stupid enough, deluded enough, desperate enough or paid enough to take us on.

Really hoping it’s paid enough and we poach a proven coach from a serious league.

Just like with players. We can no longer afford ‘potential’ if we want to change our fortunes. So hoping mike at last realises he can’t not afford to pay for proven.

There was always a question mark over Mike because he had Anges squad.

Imo he’s a great talker (as far as football managers tend to go). But has not proven himself to be a great coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred