• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

IF there was to be a new coach next season - who?

Wombat

Simply having a decent keeper would mean we would not be on the bottom of the ladder. We know c**tsworth is a clown but Vulvey and Phelan should have demanded a proper keeper. I think they asked Pikey, because Theo was mentioned but i'm sure Pikey talked them out of it and we got a 17yo from Adelaide instead.

pjennings

Nothing wrong with signing Gauci. The problem was with the other two. BK as the backup keeper made sense and may still on a reduced wage. But no natural first keeper was the problem.

turbo

The problem was with the other two.

This. Most of the time when we've seen other sides backup keepers this season they've been pretty decent. Kennedy has had some good moments but he's had more than enough bad games where one of those other keepers would have taken his spot and kept him on the bench. The club needs to have a good look at what it's doing with keepers because it hasn't been working for a while.

Coastalraider

This. Most of the time when we've seen other sides backup keepers this season they've been pretty decent. Kennedy has had some good moments but he's had more than enough bad games where one of those other keepers would have taken his spot and kept him on the bench. The club needs to have a good look at what it's doing with keepers because it hasn't been working for a while.

And Nash has been a common denominator.

pjennings

Or the seniors are shit and there isnt much he can do if the talent/ticker isnt there

Apparently BK was phenomenal as a junior. A very natural raw talent. I've heard stories of defenders giving up just so they could watch some of his saves.

I watched Nash the pre-season before last working with Kennedy and he pointed out things to BK that improved him. As soon as BK was first team he was very steady for a long time. I compare Danny, Maty and him together and the big difference is confidence.

Danny and Maty dominated their area and distributed well - no doubt having learnt under JC. They make a mistake they pick themselves up and go again. BK makes a mistake and it hurts him and his keeping suffers. His confidence in himself has suffered because of a lack of faith in him from Culina and GVE in particular even when he was performing.

Danny and Maty since they came into the HAL always had JC re-affirming his belief in them whether they were playing where he was their coach or not. BK has constantly been not trusted at HAL level from the beginning. This in spite of the fact that he had a better record than many of them except for Covic for a team that was constantly under the pump.

Forum Phoenix

Ok - so what will this new coach do that Vulvey cant/wont do?
Vulvey had the cap to spend (and f**ked it up) but he didnt have a S&C coach until round 13 and the football dept is woefully starved of funds. I just cant see what a new coach can do to make it better

The way things are going/looking. there may not be a club to be a coach of.

I think people are totally wrong on this one.

The asset and brand even tainted as it is, is still worth a lot, so I certainly don't see MC folding us, selling us... well only for a very pretty penny... and new board appointments indicate preparing for the new model and upcoming years.

I suspect the inactivity around squad and quiet from the club are both calculated for different reasons.

A) Shaun is smart enough to know that there is no defence that will be accepted by or appease fans until we start wining regularly again, so he's laying low/working BTS while they hope for an upswing of fortunes and assess the level of damage as the season plays out.

B) A total clean out. No excuse possible around being saddled by last coaches poor signings.

We'll see I guess.

Last edited:

marinermick

The asset and brand even tainted as it is, is still worth a lot, so I certainly don't see MC folding us, selling us... well only for a very pretty penny... and new board appointments indicate preparing for the new model and upcoming years.

I suspect the inactivity around squad and quiet from the club are both calculated for different reasons.

A) Shaun is smart enough go know that there is no defence that will be accepted by or appease fans until we start wining regularly again, so he's laying low/working BTS while they hope for an upswing of fortunes and assess the level of damage as the season plays out.

B) A total clean out. No excuse possible around being saddled by last coaches poor signings.

We'll see I guess.

The problem with “B)” is that players we are trying to keep are leaving too, and this is only the start. O’Neill will be gone, doubtful that Karacan will be here next season, Aspro likely to new Melbourne team I really think Pain has had enough of player here. Add the stupidity in not keeping Hiariej and we really are up the proverbial creek.

Wombat

Karacan will
The problem with “B)” is that players we are trying to keep are leaving too, and this is only the start. O’Neill will be gone, doubtful that Karacan will be here next season, Aspro likely to new Melbourne team I really think Pain has had enough of player here. Add the stupidity in not keeping Hiariej and we really are up the proverbial creek.

Pure susposition on your behalf. Obviously O'Neill will be gone as his loan is over. The other 3 are likely to be here next year because for most ex Coasties the grass is never greener.

Forum Phoenix

I agree that the flip side of not re-signing players exposes us even more. And it would surely mean our starting 11 is more likely to end up being comprised of an odd assortment of other clubs unloved and unwanted. Though will be to a large extent anyway. But would have been nice to keep Millar, Pain, Aspro and Rowles of our starting 11 Aus players. (I also have no expectation of retaining O'neil)

It really would be great to have an update from Shaun on what their strategy is for rebuilding the squad for next year given our current players on contract situation.

If it was all because they're just trying to wind things down while keeping our demise a secret that would be truly shocking and deplorable behaviour by Shaun and all involved.

I can handle not knowing how we're going to reboot and what's happening with Mulvey etc for now, but I'd prefer to see this rumour of us being taken out the back and shot, put to bed before it has more time to fester.

Last edited:

Pirate Pete

@Pirate Pete suggested Darrell Clarke who left Bristol Rovers mid season.
Thanks PJ.
5.gif

Yep, English lower league manager. Used to working with a shoestring budget.
Problem is he left partly because the newish owners weren't stumping up the promised money for players and a training ground.
Also the planned new stadium fell through. Perhaps if he saw our stadium he might like it.

style_cafe

He is doing an amazing job coaching at a junior level with his Soccer 5s set up. I have first hand seen the vast improvement in young keepers that have trained with him.

Maybe this is where his future lies?
Most junior keepers never get to experience decent coaching, so someone that has played a decent level and has been coached by Jimmy would be able to improve a junior keeper by at least 100%

nebakke

A) Shaun is smart enough to know that there is no defence that will be accepted by or appease fans until we start wining regularly again, so he's laying low/working BTS while they hope for an upswing of fortunes and assess the level of damage as the season plays out.

We'll see I guess.

My God I'd hate to have to be the poor bastard to call around for renewals for next season... That ain't gonna be pretty at all!

turbo

My God I'd hate to have to be the poor bastard to call around for renewals for next season... That ain't gonna be pretty at all!

Then the poor bloke is probably going to get a grilling for not meeting his targets when the club continues to suck on the field and insult members with deals like the entertainment grounds one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred