• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

FootballNSW

afan

goingtoadisco said:
footparent said:
I must state that these were the most professional trials I have witnessed anywhere before. Pleayers did not just play SSG and then coaches selected based on their opinions alone or political etc.

1st sessions players were subjected to intense session of passing and movement etc, then were split in teams of 4 where two teams played 4v4 with goals and the other 2 were treated to 1v1, 2v2 and 4v4 with 2-3 touch poseesion game in front of the senior coach who runs CC FNSW, this bloke is brutally honest.

Second trials were all testing in 20M side passing, 20M instep drives, timed dribble, leg power, 20M sprints and various juggling techniques and as he states to remove subjectivity or his own opinions of some parents which have been bagging him for years and thus stats will not allow him to cut their kids etc, this is a very refreshing approach.

IMHO SSG own the way that this guy was trialing.

To be honest it sounds like session one was small sided games and these would have been productuve ,especialy 4v4. however session two seems pointless.

so what if one kid can sprint 20 meters faster then another then lay of a perfect 20 m side pass then juggle a ball for 2 minuets,he might be fantastic at all this but it does not meen that he can do it in a game.

This is just an opinion, but i am a huge fan of ssg as i believe they show what a player can realy do on the park.

SSG are great and I also know this guy very well and he did just that.  It is crucial all other test as this not only can separate players whom are close or for whatever reason trialed badly, they are KIDS and sometime they do well and somertimes they don't.  It at bare minimum removes subjectivity which us parents hate...

Passing, speed with ball and no ball, good touch can only add to vision, good game awareness as one has more time and thus easy to coach game awareness when all of the above is true.

Anyway you and I will always disagree cause I feel all is relevant in our game

Rowdy

footparent said:
in front of the senior coach who runs CC FNSW, this bloke is brutally honest.

I'm confused by this, "runs CC FNSW"  ???
Are you stating that this 'guy' works for Football NSW and is their regional coach or something?

As the post above asks, why not just say who he is, most seem to think that "he's doing all the right things"..........so reward his efforts and give him the credit of naming him  ???

From the dug out

It's no secret omgst those who phrase this man.

His name is Steve Arbelo, he works part time for FNSW. His theories and methodoliges are FNSW theories and methodoliges. Actually nobody owns a "step over "and or a "inside cut". Steve oversees 5 squads on the coast. These academies are held at Budgewoi FC, three times a week.

My son came home tonight from Steve's training and told me that all the kids have been asked to write 1/2 a page about why they are here (training with him) and where they want to go with their football, he is 9 years of age.

Anyone that knows Steve, knows that he is soooo passionate about teaching the game, scores mean nothing. I will be the first to tell you, he is stricked with the kids however very fair. He is the best thing that has happened regarding my young blokes game.

reaper

A got a call that from a mate who's son is in his program telling me that people were praising Steve and ABOUT time, so I sign up to this forum, as he who has been coached by him are better for it.  I have seen kids age 16 (girls/boys) see Steve at a game, come up and hug him, joke with him, they totally respect him, this is earned.

I totally understand why no-one knows of him as he does not advertise,he just does his thing and his thing is better than most I have seen.

His background is Uruguayan-Aussie (LOL), he loves his Futbol as he calls it and teaches with passion etc.  All of his sessions are always planned as we parents at VSP and now Budgewoi see him arrive 20-30 minutes early and check his book and start setting his fields.  He runs 5 Academies raging from 7 to 12 year olds with 16 in each and just finished selecting Johnny Warren football foundation program Age Boys 13 and Girls 15/16/17.

His dedication is unquestionable as he also has a boy age 14 who plays for Demons and is in FNSW academies at VSP, which he has to get people to take him there and most times doesn't even see his own boy train as he is at Budgewoi, which parent would ever do THAT?

I guess the best praise Steve gets is from what has become his mentor David Lee of recent times who believes Steve should be working in a big club and furthering his career instead of FNSW academies, but Steve just enjoys doing what he does and parents are grateful.

Steve coached my son since he was 9-10 at VSP and then he was snapped up by Bourke as he knew Steve had moved to CC and thus I used to travel on weekends to his private sessions at Kariong.  I and many Sydney parents regret Steve's move, as current VSP coaches are woeful and have lost coaches such as Oscar G and Steve.

Bladesman

I have to agree with the sentiments above.  My son is in the academy for the first time this year and the difference in his game in just the past couple of months is significant.  He loves the sessions, watching all of the kids train the enthusiasm and discipline is fantastic.  I cant recall ever seeing the guys train with goals, it is all skills based and in the initial briefing we got from Steve that is exactly what he said it would be.

One of my friends asked me if I was pushing my son too hard training 3 times a week at 9 and I could honestly turn round and say no, he had the choice of if he wanted to play and now he would train 7 days a week with Steve if he could.

Given what I have seen of CCFAs ability to run football in the 8 years I have been on the coast I would pose the question as to why anybody would want to work with/for the CCFA for those of you who have asked why he doesnt?

dwight

I think personally three times a week may be too much at age nine, is that three times with Steve or threee times training in total. ?

I hope he is as keen at 13-14-15 as he is now, unfortunately I have seen plenty of kids give it away when they are those ages.

I would not expect him or anyone of ability to work with the CCF.

reaper

Steve runs the programs as they do in VSP, note ages in 2009 7/8/9 2 nights, 10+ 3 nights etc. Personally I think it is not enough as the rest of the world is dong far more. Now I agree with your thoughts but good training will never burn kids as he states, it is inept training that does. 

I'm very pleased to see that Steve is getting recognition, well done coast

From the dug out

Yeah, I'm sure thats the million $$.$$ question, and as stated previously, unless you are prepared for failure, you will not succeed!

The figures show that for every 10,000 juniors, 1 will make it! (don't quote me on this).

I suppose you can look at other field's for comparisions.

*  piano lessons  :piano:
*  squad swimming training.
*  gymnasium training.

How many morning and after sessions do you hear, regarding squad training for swimming? By doing this it does not guarrantee you will be an Ian Thorpe either, just another stastic perhaps.

The reason why Steve has asked for a letter from each child is because he wants to make sure that it is the childs desire and not that of the parent. He has told the parents as a group that if you have to force your child to train or practice, then save your money and time and get a refund.

Deep down inside I think that all parents don't really think that they will make it all the way, however as long as their child has a dream, it's up to us as parents to provide the pathway.

reaper

Dug Out, he did the same with our parents and a he met with one parent and showed them what the kid wrote, the boy is now 14 and plays Cricket, as he didn't really like football.

Not knowing the politics on the coast, who runs CCF?  Such a region should be at the top as there are many kids from CC playing in SYD in various age groups.  I think CCF needs a clean up as such region should be playing in premier.

From the dug out

reaper, you are not alone my friend :)

Regarding CCF politics, one must be careful of what one writes on this website as there are many eyes wondering.

Repercussions usually happen indirectly.......therefore my words towards them are minimal.

However, it is a great breath of fresh air that people are able to talk amicably towards our juniors. There are a lot of people out there that are very concerned, and have every right to be.

(Thought I better add the piano to my previous post....lol).

This has snowball'd, I didn't know Steve existed but was told bad things in regards to FNSW on the coast, this was of course by CCF coaches who I now know why, they are threatened.  I think we should demand changes and start asking the correct questions.

We must try and lure Steve away from FNSW and get him to run CCF? Kids would benefit I think and coach clean-up, which is needed.

dwight

So it is 2 nights for a nine year old then. ? can't see a problem with that.

I know you say dont quote me on this but you say "for every 10'000 juniors 1 will make it", what do you mean make it ? reps ? State team ? Australia team ? worlds best team ? or ?

" Such a region should be at the top as there are many kids from CC playing in SYD in various age groups.  I think CCF needs a clean up as such region should be playing in premier "   Coasties were premier league but were put to super league due to financial difficulties.

goingtoadisco

this is an interesting stat i just came accross, 95% of athletes who play for australia at a junior level dont play for asutralia at a senior level.

unrelated but interesting.

afan

This last stat is correct as what we do in Australia is select strength and speed etc to what we believe will compete well.  This mentality is a by product of the Postacocglu years and we have done nothing at junior level.  hence at senior level strength equals out and most of these Junior Representatives are no longer there purely due to their own technical level ie. At young ages the big strong, fast kids prevail and then it starts to even out and technique is crucial.  Hence why is is so important for technique training(repetition passing/receiving/running with ball and even juggling) and SSG at young ages.

Interesting reading http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/developing/technicaldevelopment/technicalmenreport.html

Dwight - I think he means professional as not all will play for AUS etc

FFC Mariner

As a parent, I always considered that one of my roles was/is to allow my kids to explore all kinds of activities such as music, sport, dance etc to enable them to work out what they enjoyed and what they didnt. Whether they made it their career or were successful at it was/is a bonus.

From the dug out

dwight said:
I know you say dont quote me on this but you say "for every 10,000 juniors 1 will make it", what do you mean make it ? reps ? State team ? Australia team ? worlds best team ? or ?

The quote came from David Lee, the wise one!
Not sure what he was exactly refering to? however like everything he talks about, making it would be representing your country at the highest level over a period of time.

dwight

goingtoadisco said:
this is an interesting stat i just came accross, 95% of athletes who play for australia at a junior level dont play for asutralia at a senior level.

unrelated but interesting.

"Yes but 95% of those that play for australia at a senior level have played for australia at a junior level"

The reason that only a small percentage play at a senior level is due to a lot of players playing senior football for five - ten years at a high level obviously.

From the dug out

David Lee Quote:

David tells the story, back in the days when a 16 year old striker at VSP asked him, "when is the best time to shoot".....David's reply was "about 2 seconds before it hits the back of the net son"....lol.

This man is a footballing genius, even at 73, his mind is as sharp as ever.

Rowdy

reaper said:
A got a call that from a mate who's son is in his program telling me that people were praising Steve and ABOUT time, so I sign up to this forum, as he who has been coached by him are better for it.  I have seen kids age 16 (girls/boys) see Steve at a game, come up and hug him, joke with him, they totally respect him, this is earned.

I totally understand why no-one knows of him as he does not advertise,he just does his thing and his thing is better than most I have seen.

His background is Uruguayan-Aussie (LOL), he loves his Futbol as he calls it and teaches with passion etc.  All of his sessions are always planned as we parents at VSP and now Budgewoi see him arrive 20-30 minutes early and check his book and start setting his fields.  He runs 5 Academies raging from 7 to 12 year olds with 16 in each and just finished selecting Johnny Warren football foundation program Age Boys 13 and Girls 15/16/17.

His dedication is unquestionable as he also has a boy age 14 who plays for Demons and is in FNSW academies at VSP, which he has to get people to take him there and most times doesn't even see his own boy train as he is at Budgewoi, which parent would ever do THAT?

I guess the best praise Steve gets is from what has become his mentor David Lee of recent times who believes Steve should be working in a big club and furthering his career instead of FNSW academies, but Steve just enjoys doing what he does and parents are grateful.

Steve coached my son since he was 9-10 at VSP and then he was snapped up by Bourke as he knew Steve had moved to CC and thus I used to travel on weekends to his private sessions at Kariong.  I and many Sydney parents regret Steve's move, as current VSP coaches are woeful and have lost coaches such as Oscar G and Steve.

I'm assuming here that VSP = Valentine Sports Park, which is only the name of the field/s ........................so when you say that "VSP coaches are woeful" are you referring to FNSW academy coaches, State Team Coaches or something altogether different again?

I'm confused at your use of this acronym of "VSP", do you really mean FNSW?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred