• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

FootballNSW

truesoccer

Have learnt tonight that my club may have to cancel their Gala Day.
Apparentntly FootballNSW has refused to give permission as the rules for our Gala Day as well as those for other clubs because we have prizes for winners and losers.
l can only wonder where our great sport is going. No one wants to see 8 year olds under pressure to perform but they do want a challenge. To be politically correct (????) do we now cancel school athletics days, school, swimming carnivals etc? FootballNSW, you may not have the intestinal fortitude to stand up to the FFA about small sided games which will see kids up to age of 12 not playing soccer, but why all of a sudden can clubs not run Gala Days. Most rely on same to raise necessary funds to keep going and pay your and FFA unreasonable registration fees.
Hopefully the CCF will have the guts to stand up to you over this matter.

scottmac

Suspended
Is a Gala day for kids under 12 a knock out competition, or just a day of many games of football? Do many of them care who wins when the simpsons is on that night?
It may be a part of traditional soccer and i grew up playing in them but the pressure from certain parents at these events is enourmous. Gala day's missing is no loss IMO.

And as for SSG, we want to see more kids like that brisbane guy with skills (MAN U?) not a pack of 20 kids running after a ball and maybe not touching it for the entire game. that benifits no one.

No organisation is perfect and will not get it right 100% of the time, but these changes are in the interest of the future quality of football in this country. 

The Smart one

I am at a loss with the comments from true soccer. Have Football NSW refused your under 8s gala day because the club will be issuing winners and losers prizes or because the gala day is not within the format of SSG, please provide more details. 

masmariner

Hmmm how about this one a former club where my kids played did not invite their own under nine "e" team to their own gala day, on the basis that there were "a" and "b" grade teams playing and they would get beaten.
That sucks really and by the way the "e" grade side did not win a game all year in their own grade in the comp and still turned up every week to play.
Needless to say the team was very disappointed in this.
It is about the kids enjoying the game they just want to play that's all. !!

hasbeen

It's Avoca U7 Gala Day as far as I'm aware. Football NSW said some crap about it always being a rule that there are to be no semis or final just a round robin and all played for fun. Well I've never come across this rule in any Gala Days my kids have played in over the last 10 years. I wonder what they are up to? Meanwhile Avoca had to pull the plug rather than revamp the whole days events. Shame as it would have probably been a decent fundraiser for the Club, and God knows all the Clubs need to raise money as best they can. It costs a small fortune to run a club in the CCF.         

kevrenor

hasbeen said:
It's Avoca U7 Gala Day as far as I'm aware. Football NSW said some crap about it always being a rule that there are to be no semis or final just a round robin and all played for fun. Well I've never come across this rule in any Gala Days my kids have played in over the last 10 years. I wonder what they are up to? Meanwhile Avoca had to pull the plug rather than revamp the whole days events. Shame as it would have probably been a decent fundraiser for the Club, and God knows all the Clubs need to raise money as best they can. It costs a small fortune to run a club in the CCF

Odd - I agree that U7 shouldn't be playing to win a gala day (I hope it was on small fields, and preferable SSG)! I don't understand why it was rocket science to revamp the day?

headcase

Most kids play just to enjoy the game and to get something at the end if they win is a good reward. Gala Days have been run in this format for years. Avoca didn't think enough clubs would turn up to play if it was just a round robin with no scores kept and nothing to play for - just a day when all the kids play 4 or 5 games each then go home. Football NSW seems to think that the Central Coast is the only place in NSW where these sort of gala days are run. I find that very hard to believe.

Gen (MarinerMum)

My kids have received medals for winning & runner up in gala days and a participation ribbon just for coming.  Perhaps it is the wording in your application. Never mention competition or prizes participation awards may have been better.

Even at 14 loosing every week in the A's dissovled as team of lads who prior to this had really enjoyed their football.  Grading was the issue.  I have a 13's team that is beaten every week.  They are finding it hard to turn up because it isn't fun anymore and they don't have a friendship, they play together.  Perhaps a grading issue as well.

A 15 year old team lost most of their games, but  they enjoyed each others company and the game of football.  So training and playing meant they spent time together as a group of friends.  They all still enjoy their football and catch up even though they don't play in the same team.  This season some are 2/3 in their grade others on top of their grade.

There are lots of experts and they are only as good as their last book.  So where to from here!

Life is competition & loosing is an important lesson to learn. 

FFC Mariner

I once coached a team at 11D, only 4 kids had ever played before and they got beaten every week.

However, we decided that our goal was to get them to fall in love with the game and enjoy themselves. To have fun but not to muck about.

We got a draw in our last game and they finished the year feeling 10 feet tall.

A lot of it is about what the coach is trying to achieve.

Sport doesnt build character, it reveals it

Gen (MarinerMum)

Greenpoleffc said:
Sport doesnt build character, it reveals it

So true but what you learn in sport does build some character because you meet so many people along the way & some of those people can leave a little of who they are with you.  You include that in who you are.

A bit D & M for this time of the night.

afan

Gala days - um tell me please someone, what is important in regards to a gala day.  Know this, gala days are designed for kids right!.  I have seen enough gala days that parents. coaches play so much importance on winning that it can't be fun for the kids, who cares who wins the gala day, who will remember this, parents will, it is bragging rights.

Lets be honest that is what they are for, for parents and clubs to big note themselves saying we won gala day etc.

It if were up to me and u will say thank god it is not, I would play non comp until our kids learn technique, why we pass, why we keep the ball, why we try and move away from the ball, why we create space, why we play back to go forward etc.  These are all things that are hard to be taught when coaches scream PASS it , KICK it, lets score etc. Anyway I could go on but thats another topic.

Let the kids play and enjoy it because when they turn 15 and are playing PYL, then it is tough and pressurised environments 

I'll start by stating that my son was CUT from the 2008/09 Johnny Warren Program which is run by FNSW for age 13's.  This is a free program where players are selected for state teams etc.  We trialed for Met Far North region.  Players are invited from recent state titles and some from Reps and club sides etc. 

I must state that these were the most professional trials I have witnessed anywhere before. Pleayers did not just play SSG and then coaches selected based on their opinions alone or political etc.

1st sessions players were subjected to intense session of passing and movement etc, then were split in teams of 4 where two teams played 4v4 with goals and the other 2 were treated to 1v1, 2v2 and 4v4 with 2-3 touch poseesion game in front of the senior coach who runs CC FNSW, this bloke is brutally honest.

Second trials were all testing in 20M side passing, 20M instep drives, timed dribble, leg power, 20M sprints and various juggling techniques and as he states to remove subjectivity or his own opinions of some parents which have been bagging him for years and thus stats will not allow him to cut their kids etc, this is a very refreshing approach.

I want to just conclude that Im saddened because I would have loved for my son to be involved in this program as it is so porfessionally run with pure development, oh well, good luck to those who are fortunate to have this guy help their kids.

My last question to CCF people who may see this forum, it is time to bring poach, offer, do whatever we can to ensure this professional whom is so passionate and showed kids how to do things instead of just telling them, away from FNSW and into OUR CCF.

FFC Mariner

Whilst you and your son must be down, take heart from a certain M Simon's example.

Keep your kid in the game and keep his interest and you never know. Kids develop at different rates at different ages.

Top post BTW

Gav...

truesoccer said:
Have learnt tonight that my club may have to cancel their Gala Day.
Apparentntly FootballNSW has refused to give permission as the rules for our Gala Day as well as those for other clubs because we have prizes for winners and losers.
l can only wonder where our great sport is going. No one wants to see 8 year olds under pressure to perform but they do want a challenge. To be politically correct (????) do we now cancel school athletics days, school, swimming carnivals etc? FootballNSW, you may not have the intestinal fortitude to stand up to the FFA about small sided games which will see kids up to age of 12 not playing soccer, but why all of a sudden can clubs not run Gala Days. Most rely on same to raise necessary funds to keep going and pay your and FFA unreasonable registration fees.
Hopefully the CCF will have the guts to stand up to you over this matter.

This isnt just Football NSW, this direction has come from the Australian Sports Commision and the government.

I am involved with the AFL on the Central Coast and we have told that U10's has to be non competition and more for participation for the players to have fun,also the program Auskick (age 5 - 12) has been told that you cant not play against other clubs under that program because its destroys the participation of other players and the ASC has chaged the insurance so that games are not covered under the insurance anymore..

So, the ASC is the cause of these issues and it will slowy come into place over the next couple of year across all codes.

Thanks and those were his words to me as he stated that some kids develop quicker than others and parents must support their kids no matter what ie success or otherwise.  He said something to all parents on weekend which is very true he stated "if we are not prepared for failure, then do not play this sport"

I'm good and my son the same, cause it was fair in our eyes

fnsw100

Footparent. I know this guy as well. I know a lot of the boys that have been fortunate enough to be coached by him. I can tell you that all of these boys are now playing rep football on the coast and in sydney. Why he is not running CCF development is a question that all parents have been perplexed about for years. Yes Footparent CCF have known about this guy for years. By the way the Chairman of CCF also sends his boy to him.

WOW - so if it is good enough for CCF Chairman's son, then why is he not bringing this guy into CCF or send his own son to CCF academies which they advertise?  I'm confused.  I do know that CCF bag this bloke out all the time, but now I understand why....

He is so bagged by CCF coaches and others. Reminds me on a quote from a movie "they(we) are not worthy"

goingtoadisco

footparent said:
I must state that these were the most professional trials I have witnessed anywhere before. Pleayers did not just play SSG and then coaches selected based on their opinions alone or political etc.

1st sessions players were subjected to intense session of passing and movement etc, then were split in teams of 4 where two teams played 4v4 with goals and the other 2 were treated to 1v1, 2v2 and 4v4 with 2-3 touch poseesion game in front of the senior coach who runs CC FNSW, this bloke is brutally honest.

Second trials were all testing in 20M side passing, 20M instep drives, timed dribble, leg power, 20M sprints and various juggling techniques and as he states to remove subjectivity or his own opinions of some parents which have been bagging him for years and thus stats will not allow him to cut their kids etc, this is a very refreshing approach.

IMHO SSG own the way that this guy was trialing.

To be honest it sounds like session one was small sided games and these would have been productuve ,especialy 4v4. however session two seems pointless.

so what if one kid can sprint 20 meters faster then another then lay of a perfect 20 m side pass then juggle a ball for 2 minuets,he might be fantastic at all this but it does not meen that he can do it in a game.

This is just an opinion, but i am a huge fan of ssg as i believe they show what a player can realy do on the park.

Goingtoadisco - session 2 is done to remove the subjectivity when players are very close and thus not just an opinion anymore. 

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami