• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners Squad for 2009/10 HAL Season

coast

I was also wondering how player's from ht ASEAN team's would cope in the A-league. May be a good option for the ACL as we are allowed 1 AFC player along with the other 3 international's.

How many of these 4 international spots do you think we will fill?

serious14

Depends what kind of player we want - not being cruel/racist/ironic here, but your standard Thai/Vietnamese player, whilst very quick and possessing some excellent feet skills, is also very slight and generally not up to the physicalities of Asian Football.  Hence their constant ownings by the other teams in the region that aren't also like them (Japan, Korea, Us).

Might be a good choice as a squad player though - speedy winger who comes on at the hour mark.

georgemladenov

serious14 said:
Depends what kind of player we want - not being cruel/racist/ironic here, but your standard Thai/Vietnamese player, whilst very quick and possessing some excellent feet skills, is also very slight and generally not up to the physicalities of Asian Football.  Hence their constant ownings by the other teams in the region that aren't also like them (Japan, Korea, Us).

Might be a good choice as a squad player though - speedy winger who comes on at the hour mark.

The lack of size is a very valid point, but is also a misconception. Firstly, we dont need 11 ASEAN players, only about one or two to add some variation and flair to our squad. Also, look at some of the other A-League imports, Cassio isn't exactly a giant yet is the best left sided player in the league. Suree Sukha tore our national team a new one in the Asian Cup - apart from Caceras, our midfield is conspicuously lacking in pace, flair and width (no need to name names).

Budi Sudasorno (Indonesian) scored against Sydney in the ACL two years ago, and keeps scoring for his national team and at club level as well. If we are resigned to losing Sash and or Mrdja at the end of the season, wouldn't somebody like him be an adequate replacement if they were to be interested? I've been following the NSWPL for years, the top three strikers in the league that have not already moved to the A-League (like Younis has) would be Brad Boardman, Tallan Martin and Tolgay Ozbey. The latter two have flirted with the A-League but haven't made the cut, Boardman is a large target man but we already have one of those in Macallister. We will need to look externally or for a yet to be discovered youngster if Petrovski or Mrdja move on.

What ASEAN players have lacked is a professional coaching structure and professional team environment. Lawrie McKinna and the Mariners can provide those. Clearly an ASEAN player would be a gamble signing, but then again, which signings aren't a gamble in football? Wouldn't it be better to gamble on a current international from our region (with massive potential marketing spin offs in football crazy nations) rather than signing Andrea Merenda or Claudinho (insert plethora of other "Brazillians") from a DVD? Our club is currently at the forefront in local development and football administration (our Tuggerah plans proof of this), I just dream of us being at the forefront of international recruitment as well (keeping in mind that our domestic recruitment has been relatively flawless to date).

serious14

Totally understand where you're coming from - but I wasn't saying that we go and get 11 ASEAN players...... just noting that this (and the ACL) might be a league in which they'd struggle.  HOWEVER, if they're complimented by some hard nuts in midfield (Tommy and Gumps working together in Season 1 was a prime example of this) then it would be a great buy.

If we're talking about strikers, that's a slightly different story.  I would love to have a nimble lad up front who could outrun the best the A-League has to offer - however, would he be suited to what our tactics are (hoof and hope) 3/4 of the time??    If we adapted our game to include the ground a lot more often, then this would be an incredibly astute purchase - if it worked.  ;)

FFC Mariner

serious14 said:
doctor1 said:
We need a marquee player for next year.... somebody good like

Jimmy Bullard

Fixed.

Negotiating a new contract at FFC for between 40 & 50k a week

STERLING!

I wonder where those 2 Iraqi U23 players went? They looked brilliant. In fact, the skills of their entire team was good.

If we could get an Iraqi player and engage the mad hordes who came up for the U23 game.............

serious14

FFC Mariner said:
serious14 said:
doctor1 said:

Jimmy Bullard

Fixed.

STERLING!

I wonder where those 2 Iraqi U23 players went? They looked brilliant. In fact, the skills of their entire team was good.

If we could get an Iraqi player and engage the mad hordes who came up for the U23 game.............

Hiding for asylum weren't they??  ;)

bulldogmariner

FFC Mariner said:
serious14 said:
doctor1 said:

Jimmy Bullard

Fixed.

STERLING!

The way the is going we might get him for around $4 million a season would be a good buy as he would crave up this league and stand out in ACL

Razorback

FFC Mariner said:
Do what Con does, pick a name from here:

http://www.globalsoccertransfers.com/player/forsale.html
Makes your post even funnier considering this list is from 2002

clarence

Razorback said:
FFC Mariner said:

Makes your post even funnier considering this list is from 2002

About the right vintage for Con to choose from I reckon. Had to lol at the listing on 20.8.02 from Barnsley - they listed ALL PLAYERS! Must have had a great season, that club.

Dutch Wives

i have been under the impression any players signed now wouldnt be able to play in the AFC...am i wrong? (i sure hope i am)

yeah i agree that we dont need alot of internationals, i love the majority of the team as is, but a few inters to catalyse our plays and spark things ups would be very welcome for the AFC

Jorome Alexander Bennett

There will be a date when we will register our squad for the group stage.
That would be a month or so from now.
We can still sign some handy players, hopefully.

Ps. Oh dae su, Oldboy is a great film! A bit unneccessarily mystical at the end (trying not to say too much), but awesome throughout.

Dutch Wives

ahhhh
i knew they had to submit the squad but for some reason i thought it was a while ago
cheers

yeah i love oldboy! the ending is a bit odd but it still blows me away everytime i watch it

Jesus

Jesus
It wont be until closer to the commencment of the ACL, probably 1-2 weeks beforehand, but have not seen the date and cant remember exactly the date for adelaide and melb last year.

Bear

FFC Mariner said:

Date          Playes              From   
17.10.02  ALL PLAYERS  Barnsley(Eng)

lol what tha?

northernspirit

so now we have the ACL draw does the club bring in some fresh talent to boost the squad? maybe its time for a marquee player with a bit of flair? we should go ok i think even with our current squad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred