• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners Squad for 2009/10 HAL Season

Redline

I pitched this idea to Tufty on Boxing day...let me know what you guys think..

Fork out for a big name, EPL, Serie A, someone from one of the big leagues that is a well known name.
-Puts bums on seats
Increased crowd attendance for home games and away games as well.
-Will all but ensure a premiership/championship double followed by maybe ACL and WCW berths and wins if we get an AM or a striker.
-To help increase the skill level and competitiveness in the HAL, run training camps with the other teams. eg, if we get a CAM, run a training camp with each teams CAMs. Controversial maybe, but I think sharing the skills like that could ONLY improve the skill level and competitiveness of the league, and that can only increase crowds if the football gets to be better quality.

Obviously the true superstars would never come over, but someone who is getting on in years might not mind a season that is going to be almost relaxing for them after EPL or Serie A.

I also think we need to look into Asian players more to raise our clubs profile there, and also keep the Asian powers that be happy.

Jesus

Jesus
Countryhick said:
I pitched this idea to Tufty on Boxing day...let me know what you guys think..

Fork out for a big name, EPL, Serie A, someone from one of the big leagues that is a well known name.
-Puts bums on seats
Increased crowd attendance for home games and away games as well.
-Will all but ensure a premiership/championship double followed by maybe ACL and WCW berths and wins if we get an AM or a striker.
-To help increase the skill level and competitiveness in the HAL, run training camps with the other teams. eg, if we get a CAM, run a training camp with each teams CAMs. Controversial maybe, but I think sharing the skills like that could ONLY improve the skill level and competitiveness of the league, and that can only increase crowds if the football gets to be better quality.

Obviously the true superstars would never come over, but someone who is getting on in years might not mind a season that is going to be almost relaxing for them after EPL or Serie A.

I also think we need to look into Asian players more to raise our clubs profile there, and also keep the Asian powers that be happy.

Did you come up with the whole marquee concept all by yourself? :p

Redline

No, but a name that is actually recognised by the 'sit down im trying to watch the soccer' crowd, and is actually GOOD would be nice for a change.

See when I think of marquee in the HAL i think of waste of money and waste of player space, because with the exception of maybe 2 or 3, thats all weve had.

Jesus

Jesus
Countryhick said:
No, but a name that is actually recognised by the 'sit down im trying to watch the soccer' crowd, and is actually GOOD would be nice for a change.

See when I think of marquee in the HAL i think of waste of money and waste of player space, because with the exception of maybe 2 or 3, thats all weve had.

But it is the marquee concept that you are advocating. It takes more than money to bring in top quality players. Few players will leave clubs like real madrid for lesser leagues on more money, excluding becks ofcourse. The fact is if sydney wanted beckham and paid the money they could get him as marquee in the current system. But you can only get what you can get.

marinermick

hallaways said:
i haerd that david craney might be comin to take mile's spot cause he cant get a game for shef united

Coast-FM did an interview with Carney last week through Luke who is over there.

No chance of him coming.

TerrigalUtd

who are we going to get to replace Jedinak. We can probably and use the money from his transfer and our still empty marquee position to go get some ultra skilly midfielder. such as TIMMY CAHILL

FFC Mariner

TerrigalUtd said:
who are we going to get to replace Jedinak. We can probably and use the money from his transfer and our still empty marquee position to go get some ultra skilly midfielder. such as TIMMY CAHILL

Whilst I agree that Timmy needs to leave Everton for a club where he can win things and play CL football, I'm guessing he might not be thinking of us

LOL

Kareem

FFC Mariner said:
TerrigalUtd said:

a club where he can win things and play CL football,
1) We win things
2) We are going to play CL football ;)
Good solution for both parties :p

Jorome Alexander Bennett

Kareem said:
FFC Mariner said:
TerrigalUtd said:

1) We win things

LOL, Good call.

FFC Mariner

Kareem said:
FFC Mariner said:
TerrigalUtd said:

1) We win things

:headbutt:

FFC Mariner

Even if he was good enough, reckon the wages in a place like Kuwait might be much higher than here?

I have confidence that the club is on top of this and we need not worry.

(ps - Merendra has gone home hasnt he?)

David Votoupal

The safe option would be a second/third tier player from Europe. Argentina and Colombia are other places to look- heck we all saw Rodriguez go well so why not?

bulldogmariner

TerrigalUtd said:
We already have a made replacement for Jedinak in the form of Hutch. We need to go out and get an attacking midfielder or winger so Adrian can play there. We need to ensure we keep our current squad and then add.

TerrigalUtd

I can't see us go buying some big foreign player because we haven't before and i can't see us buying a Brazilian player to find out its Jardel reincarnated. Any good Aussies overseas that might be interested coming back home Sterjovski or Skoko perhaps?

georgemladenov

TerrigalUtd said:
I can't see us go buying some big foreign player because we haven't before and i can't see us buying a Brazilian player to find out its Jardel reincarnated. Any good Aussies overseas that might be interested coming back home Sterjovski or Skoko perhaps?

I wouldn't hesitate to pay Sterjovski $400k and make him our marquee. Skoko is currently playing in the Croatian league again, but I'd have reservations about his commitment to the cause. He's a player with a great pedigree and past, but I just would have that 'Aloisi' vibe if he were to sign with us. Too old and risky there.

As for foreigners, historically we haven't ventured into that market because we really haven't had the need too. Lawrie has been able to rely on the NSWPL to uncover the likes of Jedinak, the only problem is that with the advent of the youth league Sydney FC basically took the cream of the NSWPL crop.

The most likely outcome would be a player from one of our sister clubs. I've read rumours previously that we haven't been interested in any players from our Hungarian club, but I wouldn't mind taking a punt on a Hungarian international if they were interested in a move. We probably can't pay wages as well as Chengdu Blades can, but a Chinese midfielder may be interested in a more robust football education like Song Jin-Hyung and take a pay cut to play in Australia.

More importantly though, I just hope somebody from the club was scouting the ASEAN Football Championship which has just come to a close after Vietnam won it on Saturday night. We haven't been a club that's been willing to take a gamble on untested players, but I think we should dare to dream and give the likes of Le Conh Vinh (Vietnam), or Sukha, Daengda, Thongalao (Thailand), or Firman Utina (a superstar from Indonesia) a chance in Australian football. People still severely underestimate the talent of Asian football, especially in ASEAN.

northernspirit

a fringe sheff utd player would be a good pickup, carney would be ideal but im guessing hes waiting for the jan transfer to get another european gig

Paolo

northernspirit said:
a fringe sheff utd player would be a good pickup, carney would be ideal
please explain to me how a Left winger/wingback is a good pickup to replace a DM?

p.s no chance of Carney anyway, lets get it out of our heads

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred