• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2009 Confederations Cup

marinermick

Kareem said:
marinermick said:
Kareem said:
marinermick said:
Just finished watching the replay and the USA tore Egypt a big one.
Wrong!
USA deserve very little credit for that win...
honestly using Ned Zelic's words, Egypt self-destructed
I think we would have sseriously lost to NZ the way we played (maybe not 3-0 though)
Were never going to score...and our defence ???
Our GK was superb + outstanding, not at fault for ANY of the goals!

Just be gracious in defeat mate. The USA played some excellent football and London Donovan was hands down the best player on the park.

Just accept the fact that you were outplayed by a better team on the day.
u r joking arent you?
USA...played excellent football?
Egypt gave them ridiculous time on the ball...they allowed them to do watever they wanted?
USA dont EVER play excellent football outside of North America...that passing happens a lot against the likes of North American nations (whom have a valid excuse for being 'crap', which Egypt dont share)
Anyone that has some sort of understanding for football (apart from Americans) should be able to see that.
You honestly think NZ couldnt of beat us- i think quite easily
(Note: Iraq would have only got a 0-0 draw with us ;))

oh
here is already just one Americans comment (on youtube)
Dont be mad we control the entire world, next were coming for soccer!

ROFL- that said IF football became no1 sport in USA- that would surely turn USA into a major power (over time). Wont happen though!

Not joking. The USA has 300 million people and their registered participation rate for football is one of the highest in the world.

They are in no way an inferior team to Egypt and it is probably this inflated ego that was part of the downfall of their defeat. It is also a cultural bias in that there is no way possible that the USA can be a competitive football because it is not a traditional football country. The same bias exists against Australia.

The USA's record in major international tournaments in the last decade (including a quarter final in a world cup) wipes the floor compared to Egypt. They also have an impressive record in international friendlies against major football nations. So your comments that the USA never play good football outside North America is just plain wrong. Therefore your comment that anyone with football knowledge should see that is really embarassing for you.

Anyone with football knowledge would never underestimate the USA, whose successes come from a very strong domestic competition, a large participation base and a large investment in football development.

As for the way Egypt played, well just maybe they were not allowed to play by the United States who pressed very high and did not allow the Egpytian ball players any time on the ball. They were far more mobile and their passing far better. This does not come from luck. The same tactic was used against Brazil and in this instance they played a better team and were done on the break on all three games.

In every way Egypt were outplayed and tactically done in that match.

Kareem

marinermick said:
Not joking. The USA has 300 million people and their registered participation rate for football is one of the highest in the world.

They are in no way an inferior team to Egypt and it is probably this inflated ego that was part of the downfall of their defeat. It is also a cultural bias in that there is no way possible that the USA can be a competitive football because it is not a traditional football country. The same bias exists against Australia.

The USA's record in major international tournaments in the last decade (including a quarter final in a world cup) wipes the floor compared to Egypt. They also have an impressive record in international friendlies against major football nations. So your comments that the USA never play good football outside North America is just plain wrong. Therefore your comment that anyone with football knowledge should see that is really embarassing for you.

Anyone with football knowledge would never underestimate the USA, whose successes come from a very strong domestic competition, a large participation base and a large investment in football development.

As for the way Egypt played, well just maybe they were not allowed to play by the United States who pressed very high and did not allow the Egpytian ball players any time on the ball. They were far more mobile and their passing far better. This does not come from luck. The same tactic was used against Brazil and in this instance they played a better team and were done on the break on all three games.

In every way Egypt were outplayed and tactically done in that match.
1) partcipation rate?
sauce? and how is it measured?
2) yes, they are inferior
3) Ego- nope. See this is ignorance by you, americans, spanish etc. (been reading comments on goal.com). You think you saw 2-3 Egyptian games and you are an Egyptian expert...SEE GROUP C in African WCQ, see last qualification campaing (came 3rd in group...only 1st progress to WC), see last time we made World Cup.
It's possibly pressure, probably some other factors...we were overwhelming favourites to beat the US...and we crumbled (as a result IMO, based on the last 10-15 years of our football)
4) You cant quote me incorrectly
". So your comments that the USA never play good football outside North America is just plain wrong. "
You missing the key word...excellent vs good
I really really emphasise the difference between my personal use of the two words...
and Fail no 2...last decade? um its 2009 ;), 1998 was 11 years ago,I apologise for being picky, but you are one that stated last decade
and besides 11 years ago means nothing, Croatia came 3rd that year :p, look at them now- personally dont consider them top 10 nation...still a decent side (top 16 for sure)

5) LOL...USA didnt allow us to win headers in the box. That was only thing we did...stupid tactics to try and beat the Yanks in the air- doh!
So they stopped our ability to score from crosses...dont know wat stopped the rest (ie. majority) of our play (and yes I am aware 2/4 of our goals were headers, but that wasnt wat impressed everyone, that isnt our 'game')

6) umm... :goodpost: sure
but that the whole point of the differing of our opinions
I argue that Egypt lowered our performance...
Obviously USA played better, they had possession, shots etc.
Tactics- well congrats to Bradley on speed vs our slow defence apart from that...not much tbh...unless you count instructed his team to win everything in the air :p
But if you look at game 1 goal out of 3 were result of speed, 2 other goals I wouldnt put down to tactics (rather their players 'outplaying' egypt)

I think its pretty obvious that Egypt played a much higher standard + quality vs Italy + Brazil...
but the way you sound, Egypt played the same...and (ROFL, this is wat baffles me) you sound as if you think USA lifted their game...
You will see vs Spain...they havent lifted their game...
and look at the qualifiers- a lot of teams "lift" their game vs us, and rarely anyone else

Kareem

PS. I commend you for not using the USA were 4th in world 3 years ago argument ;)
You have seemingly left that out on purpose (smart idea)

scottmac

Suspended
Kareem said:
PS. I commend you for not using the USA were 4th in world 3 years ago argument ;)

You are so full of yourself Kareem.

Just lose gracefully. Give credit where credit is due. USA did play better, fact. Admit it and move on.

marinermick

A quick search of FIFA.com shows 24 million footballers in the US compared to 3.1 million in Egypt, 13.2 million in Brazil, 5.8 million in Russia, 16 million in germany, 2.9 million in Spain and 1 million in Australia, so yes, it has one of the highest particpation rates in the world.

Another quick search of FIFA.com shows that before this confederations cup in the past three years the USA has beaten Mexico, Costa Rica, Denmark, China, Paraguay, Sweden, Poland, Switzerland, Sth Africa, drawing with Argentina and having narrowly losses to England, Spain, and Colombia. The only big loss was against Brazil 4-1.

In that same period Egypt has beaten Oman, Malawi, cameroon, Saudi Arabi, plus many lesser nations like Benin, draws with Zambia (x2), Ghana, Angola, Libya, Ivory Coast and Burundi (hehe), as well as losses Algeria, Kenya, Malawi, Congo, Argentina and being thumped convincingly (4-1 on both occasions) by Sudan and Japan.
Everything you have stated is opinion and placated by a cultural bias. Everything I have stated is backed by facts so I do not need to have constantly watched Egypt play to make my conclusions. By your same logic I doubt you would have watched one or two USA internationals in that three years.

There is no proof that Egypt are a superior side to the USA. The USA hve had better international results and not just in CONCACAF and the USA has beaten Egypt in their last encounter. All evidence proves the opposite actually.

Come back to me when you have some facts to back your biases.

Sean

Didnt see the game this morning between USA and Egypt, but if USA are still at the same quality as per their game against Brazil, I hope we draw them in the WC - Theyre balls.

scottmac

Suspended
marinermick said:
A quick search of FIFA.com shows 24 million footballers in the US compared to 3.1 million in Egypt, 13.2 million in Brazil, 5.8 million in Russia, 16 million in germany, 2.9 million in Spain and 1 million in Australia, so yes, it has one of the highest particpation rates in the world.

Another quick search of FIFA.com shows that before this confederations cup in the past three years the USA has beaten Mexico, Costa Rica, Denmark, China, Paraguay, Sweden, Poland, Switzerland, Sth Africa, drawing with Argentina and having narrowly losses to England, Spain, and Colombia. The only big loss was against Brazil 4-1.

In that same period Egypt has beaten Oman, Malawi, cameroon, Saudi Arabi, plus many lesser nations like Benin, draws with Zambia (x2), Ghana, Angola, Libya, Ivory Coast and Burundi (hehe), as well as losses Algeria, Kenya, Malawi, Congo, Argentina and being thumped convincingly (4-1 on both occasions) by Sudan and Japan.
Everything you have stated is opinion and placated by a cultural bias. Everything I have stated is backed by facts so I do not need to have constantly watched Egypt play to make my conclusions. By your same logic I doubt you would have watched one or two USA internationals in that three years.

There is no proof that Egypt are a superior side to the USA. The USA hve had better international results and not just in CONCACAF and the USA has beaten Egypt in their last encounter. All evidence proves the opposite actually.

Come back to me when you have some facts to back your biases.

Ouch.... but then again Kareem, you asked for it.

Sean Francis Lacy said:
Didnt see the game this morning between USA and Egypt, but if USA are still at the same quality as per their game against Brazil, I hope we draw them in the WC - Theyre balls.

England, USA, & Egypt, just for Kareem. According to his theology Egypt would beat England 6-5 then lose to us and USA. Because the USA are so shit we would beat them as would England  leaving a drinking game between cold beer and warm beer for top spot. Cahill vs Gerrard  ;)

Sym

geee let's all bag on kareem why don't we
cause this has never happened before or anything

go the off season !

marinermick

Sym said:
geee let's all bag on kareem why don't we
cause this has never happened before or anything

go the off season !

Not bagging. Just pointing out that his cultural biased assumption that the USA is inferior to Egypt is just plain wrong, and backed this up by facts.

It is called debate and argument Sym.

RADINHO

Bit late to this thread but anyways...                                                  Best player: Ramires                                          Top scorer: Luis Fabiano                                                            I believe that spain brazil egypt and iraq should all  be in the semis but unlucky 3rd game results didnt help. I believe Brazil will win it and their number 18 Ramires is a fantastic player!!

Sean

From the games I have watched, I felt SA did well against Spain. They were surprisingly exciting in parts and put some stages of good football together. Very happy for them they have made it to the Semi's and have relieved some pressure for the WC next year - they looked like a team who wanted to win, and to work on the game in order to produce good football unlike Italy who looked like they were on holiday.
Not sure if the two teams (Brazil & Spain) play an entirely different game, but Brazil look like the number 1 in the world right now, so good to watch. Their counter attacking with long dribbling runs up the guts I especially love to watch. The odds would be huge for a South Africa win (or goal even) but I felt they did worry Spain in some parts of the game and couldve perhaps pipped a goal if not for some dodgy finishing on quality stages of play, and if they can reproduce the same exciting energy and momentum that got them through the group stages, to put on a good show (and not get thrashed) against who I think are the world leaders right now, that would be fantastic for the host nation.

Kareem

RADINHO said:
Bit late to this thread but anyways...                                                   Best player: Ramires                                           Top scorer: Luis Fabiano                                                             I believe that spain brazil egypt and iraq should all  be in the semis but unlucky 3rd game results didnt help. I believe Brazil will win it and their number 18 Ramires is a fantastic player!!
Ramires is good...and I do rate him- but tough ask for him to snatch player of tournament...
Villa aint bad odds atm I would think...consistent performer.
Probably will be decied by next 2 matches for each team and If Xavi/Torres pick up their performances...

Sean

why does it depend on Spain players?

Pienaar, Robinho/Fabiano, Puyol, Egypt's goalkeeper (sorry Kareem you can correct me)
are players from each finalist team that have stood out as players of the tourny.

Kareem

scottmac said:
Kareem said:

You are so full of yourself Kareem.

Just lose gracefully. Give credit where credit is due. USA did play better, fact. Admit it and move on.
only credit US should recieve which after thought I will give

congrats on keeping their heads + mentality...

they played better...?
ofcourse they freaking did- you guys can be really frustrating
I DID NOT in the slightest way suggest Egypt were unlucky to lose...IMO we practically werent on the park...genuine chances = 2 vs 7-8 maybe?

Can anyone in their right minds argue that Egypt out played USA...lol
Did we deserve to make finals...no, not after that performance

Kareem

Sean Francis Lacy said:
why does it depend on Spain players?

Pienaar, Robinho/Fabiano, Puyol, Egypt's goalkeeper (sorry Kareem you can correct me)
are players from each finalist team that have stood out as players of the tourny.
I was citing, more so as unmade reference to everyone prior to tournament saying a spanish player will win
Fabiano wont
Robinho...allright
Puyol maybe- noone has scored against spain

El Hadary (GK)- well no...he isnt even leading the polls for Golden Glove after matchday 2- before his USA 'blunder'
Casillas had 38%, El Hadary= 18%, Ceasar = 17% 2 others 16% + 15% i think

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred