• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2009 Confederations Cup

Kareem

MattSimon said:
Arabmariner said:
But just on that subject.....what would happen if all group games finished 0-0 ?  :popcorn:

Groans. Angry groans.
+1
on terms of deciding who goes through...http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/86/49/87/fifa_cc2009_regulations_en.pdf
Fifa Confederations Cup Regulations said:
The ranking of each team in each group will be determined as follows:
a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b) goal difference in all group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:
d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.
so in a group with 4 teams on 3 points with 0 GF and 0 against...
its pretty boring- never would happen thankfully
wouldnt you love to get through based on drawing of lots

on another note the seeding system sucked
the 'group of death' was almost inavoidable

South Africa = 1 of 4 seeds
Italy and Spain couldnt be in same group (because same continent)
and South Africa couldnt be in same group  (same reason)

therefore groups were automatically going to be...
A                                      B
Europe team 1              Europe team 2
South Africa                  Brazil
Random                        Egypt
Random                        Random

ie. Egypt automatically had Brazil (kind of sucks...)
imagine Spain in group B...that would have been the toughest group in history hands down!

Kareem

oh
official man of the match = zidan
interesting...
i liked our no 22 (no idea how to spell)
abutrekka?
oh found it
ABOUTRIKA

no22. set up both zidan's goals
hard to split the 2

Arabmariner

Thankfully the drawing of lots is highly unlikely now.

They used to do it in the European Cup before the introduction of penalties.I remember one game in the 70's where Celtic beat  Benfica 3-0 at home then lost the return 3-0.Then behind closed doors Celtic won on the toss of a coin lol.

But anyway that incident for the Brazil penalty just proves that a video ref should be used.......just shouldn't have happened here!

Kareem

Arabmariner said:
But anyway that incident for the Brazil penalty just proves that a video ref should be used.......just shouldn't have happened here!
+ 1
we would have been into extra time in the GF (as long as Aloisi didnt take penalty)
(still not fully over it, sadly)

i expect the Video ref advocates will be using this as evidence for why we need it...i think in those cases you may as well (wait til next out, which happened to be 5 sec later, and then check)

Kareem

Absolute ROFL

i decided to do a bit of investigating on a hunch (ok it was slightly obvious but oh well)
Can anyone tell me of last time Breeze did a high profile match as 4th official?

(further discussion to follow ;))

Kareem

hasbeen said:
looked like a penalty to me .. what's all the fuss about ?
read above posts
video replays are not allowed in football. This was based on Breeze apparently looking at a replay.
No doubt in anyones mind that it was a definate handball (and send off)

dibo

similar to the zidane incident in a much more meaningful match. the pragmatist in me kinda leans towards hasbeen - if following the rules means making a howler of a decision, perhaps sometimes bending the rules is tolerable.

Kareem

Kareem said:
Can anyone tell me of last time Breeze did a high profile match as 4th official?
No one wanted to answer my question

last time Breeze was a 4th official was OUR Grand Final
ok- i'll say it
WHY DIDNT HE MAKE THE CALL TO SHIELD THEN?

if Webb doesnt get persecuted for it , then refs will be asked this call quite a lot in the future

it just has to be a consistent rule.

understand what I am saying?

I am a fan of video footage for extreme circumstances (think 1) Zidane, 2) this, 3) Liverpool vs Chelsea CL semi-final etc.)
Undecided on other fouls (eg. Australia vs Italy)- only because I question how much a replay can help determine a different decision, not to mention the amount of challaenges that happen in a box

There cannot be sometimes!

hasbeen

Kareem said:
hasbeen said:
looked like a penalty to me .. what's all the fuss about ?
read above posts
video replays are not allowed in football. This was based on Breeze apparently looking at a replay.
No doubt in anyones mind that it was a definate handball (and send off)

The latest from FIFA ..
Fifa said in a statement: "A thorough analysis revealed that the decision in question was achieved through teamwork between the match referee and his assistant referee number-one Mike Mullarkey, who confirmed the offence to the referee from his clear viewing angle."

No mention of Breeze or the grassy knoll ...

Kareem

you think they would admit if the could find a way to cover it up?
i think it still sounds suss
like i said- i am kind of over it by now, it was the correct call- but there are certain ways to go about it...and surely it would displease mariners fans, chelsea fans etc. that we never had this chance IF the allegations are true!

dibo

Kareem said:
Kareem said:
No one wanted to answer my question

last time Breeze was a 4th official was OUR Grand Final
ok- i'll say it
WHY DIDNT HE MAKE THE CALL TO SHIELD THEN?

he didn't need to - the AR already had. shield ignored him.

Kareem

0-0 HT spain vs iraq
iraq playing better than last game but they are playing with a 5-4-1 changing to a 5-5-when defending i think
spain are being suffocated
i expect spain to still win
iraq look not bad in attack, but you can tell they arent that interested in scoring
Spain are a bit off in terms of passing...which is a problem considering its their main asset

Kareem

madrid planning friendly with borussia dortmund
...home of Zidan
it will certainly be one last chance for Zidan in the shop window...

EDIT:
realmadrid.com said:
Kaka and Zidan, meanwhile, will square off once again after both put in stunning performances in their Confederations Cup duel. Real Madrid are already familiar with the Egyptian, who scored a cracker of a goal against them with Hamburg during last summer's Emirates Cup in London.
so we do know about Zidan...do we also know he dreams of playing for madrid... ::)
one thing I hate about Madrid, we will never ever go for this type of player...exciting, with great potential  :eek:  :naughty:

Kareem

:vhappy:
WE...DID...IT
We beat the world champions
This is personally the best revenge i could have thought of (apart from Australia knocking out Italy next world cup)

just wow, simply wow
defence still needs work
El Hadry= legend
The Egyptian Bosnich ;)
(and no i dont refer to extra curricular activities ::))

my worry...
1) Brazil game- will they go easy on Italy.
I think Italy may end up with a win, or at least a draw

2) USA vs Egypt
Put simply the USA are not good tbh
which is my concern
Egypt turn in great performances
vs Cameroon, Ivory Coast etc.
But we struggle vs Algeria (didnt even qualify for African CUp last time, largely out of form), and other minnows in Africa
Will be interesting to see if we can win it...if so it means good news for our qualifying hopes

Spain right now...would be hoping for Italy to come 2nd- simply because they probably feel a bit uncertain vs Egypt, as opposed to knowing what they will get vs Italy

scottmac

Suspended
Kareem said:
Spain right now...would be hoping for Italy to come 2nd- simply because they probably feel a bit uncertain vs Egypt, as opposed to knowing what they will get vs Italy

As if anyone would be hoping that they get to play the world champions over Egypt???

Brazil will be doing their best to knock Italy out and Spain will be waiting for the result of that game more than USA vs Egypt.

They have played a great game, don't get me wrong, its just you seem to be a bit ahead of yourself.

marinermick

lol, no player on the backpost on the corner for italy with that egyptian goal

and we thought those problems were isolated for us

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred