• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2009 Confederations Cup

bulldogmariner

Italy are really struggling at present. They are going through the world cup group ok but not convincing i would love to play them at World Cup!

Kareem

scottmac said:
Kareem said:
Spain right now...would be hoping for Italy to come 2nd- simply because they probably feel a bit uncertain vs Egypt, as opposed to knowing what they will get vs Italy

As if anyone would be hoping that they get to play the world champions over Egypt???

Brazil will be doing their best to knock Italy out and Spain will be waiting for the result of that game more than USA vs Egypt.

They have played a great game, don't get me wrong, its just you seem to be a bit ahead of yourself.
ROFL
that is hilarious
1) let me assure i think we are still only a 50/50 chance of qualifying for semi-final
a) because we struggle against lower teams- no kidding. ie. 3 points isnt even guaranteed
b) Brazil will surely rest players + Italy will fire up, would be very suprised if Italy lost the game- should at very least draw, and very possibly win
COnclusion: I am not getting ahead of myself
2)
ummm...give me disheartened, somewhat predictable italy anyday over an Egypt who is playin
a) with a style that not even the Italians could stop
b) confidence (its amazing what confidence can do)

That said, defence is really bad
we beat Italy- coz IMO their attack is as bad as our defence :p

IMO to beat Egypt you need to outscore them,. like Brazil managed to do.
1-0 win is very very unlikely, Italy found that out

oh and another concern is that we kind of are a bit ineffective in final third (or moreso final1/5, ie. box).
We need to put more chances away, we created enough for 2-3 goals 2nd half, but did not even half chance to test Buffon- probably the only negative about our BRAND :)D) of attacking football

Kareem

bulldogmariner said:
Italy are really struggling at present. They are going through the world cup group ok but not convincing i would love to play them at World Cup!
would you love to play Egypt at the world cup?

marinermick

Iraq and NZ 0-0 after 80 minutes - rivetting stuff

Brockie just replaced by Jeremy Christie. I don't know what is funnier, Brockie starting or Christie actually getting a run.

marinermick

bulldogmariner said:
How good is Glen Moss. He saved the Kiwi's so many times. He is one of the best shot stoppers in the A-League.

He was awesome and loved his save with his head right at the end.

Smeltz was just pish up front - hopefully a sign of things to come for Gold Coast.

Quote of the century from the commentator - "the only safe place in the stadium today is the back of the net"

Blackadder

marinermick said:
bulldogmariner said:
How good is Glen Moss. He saved the Kiwi's so many times. He is one of the best shot stoppers in the A-League.

He was awesome and loved his save with his head right at the end.

Smeltz was just pish up front - hopefully a sign of things to come for Gold Coast.

Quote of the century from the commentator - "the only safe place in the stadium today is the back of the net"

TMML :D

bulldogmariner

I really think the Victory have done well signing him. Congrats to the Kiwis their first ever point in a FIFA competition. Disapointing for Iraq. NZ now to look forward to November and playing in the playoff against Saudi or Bahrain.
Very tough indeed.
I am so glad we are in Asia.

Blackadder

Would say a Kiwi vs Saudi match is most likey, easier route than going via Sth America but still thankful Australia is a part of the Asian Federation these days

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
Blackadder said:
Would say a Kiwi vs Saudi match is most likey, easier route than going via Sth America but still thankful Australia is a part of the Asian Federation these days

Amen ... and it deosn't hurt either (through a lot of hard work) that we are on top of the pile.

serious14

Brazil 3, Italy 0
USA 3, Egypt 0 (wtf??)

USA _somehow_ sneak into the semi finals to be thoroughly torn a new arsehole by Spain.

Brazil willl line up against South Africa in the other semi.

Brazil/Spain final please.

marinermick

Just finished watching the replay and the USA tore Egypt a big one. Could have been five or six nil. The second and third were quality goals as well.

The USA needed to win by three goals to go through on goal difference and they did it knocking Italy out.

Kareem

marinermick said:
Just finished watching the replay and the USA tore Egypt a big one.
Wrong!
USA deserve very little credit for that win...
honestly using Ned Zelic's words, Egypt self-destructed
I think we would have sseriously lost to NZ the way we played (maybe not 3-0 though)
Were never going to score...and our defence ???
Our GK was superb + outstanding, not at fault for ANY of the goals!

I said I wouldnt be suprised if we lost to USA considering our history against inferior football teams (cant handle the pressure?)...so 1-0 down i wasnt that shocked...but i never thought we would play that bad...

Sheheta out! (Verbeek IN :p)
Pretty football sure, far beyond ANYTHING Australia can do right now, but we havent played World Cup since 1990, and we wont until we learn to play against inferior teams...

Although maybe this could be a wakeup call- doubt it though, we are largely a confidence side
Tip 0-0 with Rwanda, or shock (cough) Rwanda win

marinermick

Kareem said:
marinermick said:
Wrong!
I think we would have sseriously lost to NZ the way we played (maybe not 3-0 though)

Just be gracious in defeat mate. The USA played some excellent football and London Donovan was hands down the best player on the park.

Just accept the fact that you were outplayed by a better team on the day.

Kareem

marinermick said:
Kareem said:
marinermick said:
Wrong!

Just be gracious in defeat mate. The USA played some excellent football and London Donovan was hands down the best player on the park.

u r joking arent you?
USA...played excellent football?
Egypt gave them ridiculous time on the ball...they allowed them to do watever they wanted?
USA dont EVER play excellent football outside of North America...that passing happens a lot against the likes of North American nations (whom have a valid excuse for being 'crap', which Egypt dont share)
Anyone that has some sort of understanding for football (apart from Americans) should be able to see that.
You honestly think NZ couldnt of beat us- i think quite easily
(Note: Iraq would have only got a 0-0 draw with us ;))

oh
here is already just one Americans comment (on youtube)
Dont be mad we control the entire world, next were coming for soccer!

ROFL- that said IF football became no1 sport in USA- that would surely turn USA into a major power (over time). Wont happen though!

bulldogmariner

marinermick said:
Kareem said:
marinermick said:
Wrong!

London??????? Landon maybe.

Kareem

Kareem said:
2) USA vs Egypt
Put simply the USA are not good tbh
which is my concern
Egypt turn in great performances
vs Cameroon, Ivory Coast etc.
But we struggle vs Algeria (didnt even qualify for African CUp last time, largely out of form), and other minnows in Africa
Will be interesting to see if we can win it...if so it means good news for our qualifying hopes

Spain right now...would be hoping for Italy to come 2nd- simply because they probably feel a bit uncertain vs Egypt, as opposed to knowing what they will get vs Italy
1) ha (a sarcastic ha)...my concerns were valid- at least NOW everyone knows why such a quality team like Egypt is never at the world cup...
PS. tactics were questionable to say the least...long balls vs the Yanks- you serious?

2) I stand corrected
Spain would have been hoping for USA to come 2nd :p
Italy= 0-0 stalemate
Egypt= unpredictable, probably good- since we seem to match good teams :S
USA= at least we know who the final is between :p

PS. I wonder what the return on was for 3-0 USA win in the TAB?
You would have made a killing
(If i was betting man I would have stacked a bit just on Egypt to lose, but wouldnt have been game enough to pick 3-0)

Kareem

Predictions
Spain 3-0 USA
Brazil 3-0 South Africa

Final
Spain 1- Brazil 2 (Extra time)

Spain seem just a tad off pace...Iniesta is quite probably the best Spanish player, definately in terms of club football (is better for Barca, than Xavi)- although in past Xavi has been more integral for Spain (which is only natural consdering Age difference + oppurtunity)

I'm going to bed now i think
PS. Found my Egyptian Jersey yesterday, not wearing it tonight anymore :p
Will save it for training tomorro night, to show off to coach who is Italian (and said we had NO chance of beating Italy)

Kareem

Oh on Brazil vs Italy game...
Did anyone enjoy Italy 2nd half?
that must have been first time in years I have enjoyed watching Italy play...they should lose 3-0 more often :p
Great work by Pepe, Camorenesi was allright, Rossi was great

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred