• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Wildly speculative off-season prediction thread

bulldogmariner

I understand this Mick but i dont see that Qld have the quality to come through if they do get injuries. Most of their defenders are past 30 which could pose as a real problem for Frank.
Also both Zullo and Kruse were injury prone last season!

The players Frank has brought in are young and inexperienced but as he showed last yr Frank could get the best out of them so we have to wait and see!

Deej

marinermick said:
Deej said:
I am surprised a few people are heavily tipping QLD, I think they're a shot for top 4 but don't think they are premiership material personally

i guess that they were the best team in the comp last season and were dudded through lack of strike power in which i think they have rectified with the brazilian with the dutch name

the younger players now have a season under their belt and frank farina is an exceptional a-league coach

they do lack depth in defence, though, but all in all i think they will have another cracker season

Fair point - but QLD have always struggled to score, especially at home!

I just think they will be 1 of the teams scrapping for 4th

Sean

1. Sydney
2. Melbourne
3. QLD
4. Mariners
5. Wellington
6. Adelaide
7. Perth
8. Newcastle

Mariners to beat Melbourne in the GF, after getting through on penalties against Skidmark FC

brett

Deej said:
marinermick said:
Deej said:
I am surprised a few people are heavily tipping QLD, I think they're a shot for top 4 but don't think they are premiership material personally

i guess that they were the best team in the comp last season and were dudded through lack of strike power in which i think they have rectified with the brazilian with the dutch name

the younger players now have a season under their belt and frank farina is an exceptional a-league coach

they do lack depth in defence, though, but all in all i think they will have another cracker season

Fair point - but QLD have always struggled to score, especially at home!

I just think they will be 1 of the teams scrapping for 4th

I agree.

I think Adelaide and Melbourne have far better squads, can't see why so many are putting Qld above the Reds.

Aden

ill say it now  yas are all dreamin if yas think we'lll come first again ...  i know we  would all like to use our hearts over our heads but  im sure a lot of yas deep down dont  believe  we can .  but of course dreams can come tru

S

soccersensei

aussiecross said:
ahhhh this is the "WILDLY speculative off-season prediction thread"

:goodpost:  :thumbup:

To be honest, with the exception of Tommy, I think our line up looks better than this time last year...

And I refuse to underestimate the skills of Lawrie, I think we will continue to be highly competitive this season.

+ I'm still hoping for some more signings to further strengthen the squad.

Bex

I almost put this in the Aloi$i to Sydney FC thread, but the title doesn't really describe the full extent of the article.

By Chris Paraskevas July 25

http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/07/25/a-league-transfer-round-upso-far/#more-8755

Is Aloi$i the most expensive mistake in A-League history?

There are no surprises that the man who immortalised himself in history with one swoop of his left foot has already suffered a lengthy injury. A-League pre-season has barely started and John Aloi$i finds himself on the sidelines.

Is his one million dollar a year contract going to become the most expensive ever mistake in the A-League?

To put things into perspective, the Melbourne Victory have snapped up the sensational Ne Fabiano as Ernick attempts to scout and buy his way to another A-League title.

Though Ernicks often rigid tactics might come into question at times, he certainly isnt afraid to scour the more unfashionable corners of the football world for talent. And for that he must be commended.

Similarly, the belated arrival of Michael Thwaite to Australian shores - a man who appeared at one stage to have an extremely bright European future ahead of him before he joined the East-European transfer slave trade - should solidify the Victory defence in the wake of an aging Kevin Musc**t and Derby-bound Daniel Pirkowski.

Sydneys movements are balanced: youth in the form of Musialik and Bridge, European experience brought by Colossimo and Aloi$i (if he gets fit).

Anyone who watched Aloi$is cameo with the Central Coast last season will know that his performances were sporadic at best - moments of quality and a certain presence up front, but nothing consistent enough to eventually deliver the Mariners what would have been a deserved A-League title.

Considering the strict nature of the salary cap, and Sydneys previous indiscretions with player wages, one wonders whether the exorbitant wages paid to Aloi$i would have been better spent on the likes of Ahmed Elrich and Dylan McAllister, who both moved to the Central Coast.

On the surface, Kosmina has made some big signings. Bridge and Musialik are Olyroos, Colossimo has pedigree, and we all know Aloi$is exploits.

But will the burden that now falls on the shoulders of these recruits be too much for their young and, in the case of Colossimo and Aloi$i, fragile bodies?

The exit of Talay and Rudan from the club suggests that the ball-playing defensive duties will rest on the young shoulders of Musialik and the uncertain knees of Colossimo. Only McFlynn offers an alternative in front of the back four, and he is more of a ball-winner than a passer.

Similarly, the exits of Zdrillic, Patrick and Vidaic - apart from having a devastating impact on revenue from merchandising and shirt sales (only joking) - mean Bridge will have to find prolific goal-scoring form quickly, particularly with his fellow arrival Aloi$i already showing worrying signs.

The bottom-line is that these new faces will not have time to settle in to a balanced side.

Their surroundings will be chaotic, pressure-filled and expectant. There is simply no margin for error for Sydneys new recruits, and it might be a key factor in how they settle in to life at the SFS.

The potential success of Sydneys season (and indeed, seasons to come) lies largely with the attitude Kosmina will adopt.

Will his philosophy be results-driven or leaning more toward team-building for the future? The latter will certainly compliment his transfer movements, while the former might severely compromise them.

The advantage that Melbourne have is that there is a fairly balanced, familiar squad to which the addition of one or two top-class players (which they potentially have in Thwaite and Ne Fabiano) could make all the difference after a bitterly disappointing season.

Kosmina should take note that the burden on Carlos Hernandezs shoulders in taking over the immense creative responsibilities of the side created by Freds departure to the MLS unsettled the Costa Rican and cost the Victory dearly.

Luckily for Merrick, Hernandez doesnt seem to be prone to injury in the same way that Aloi$i and Colossimo are, and the attacking midfielder produced some good performances as he adapted toward the end of the Victorys campaign last season.

Would his presence in the ACL have been enough to earn Melbourne a berth in the quarters?

With proven goal-scorers in Allsop and Thompson at the top of the pitch, the creative force potentially formed by the combined services of Hernandez and Fabiano might be another winning formula for Merrick.

Whether his over-reliance on the aging Musc**t again hampers his side is another matter.

Meanwhile, the football-savvy Ricki Herbert has quietly been going about his business in Wellington, with a host of youthful, if unspectacular singings creating an interesting mix of players beyond Australian shores.

It probably wont be enough to mount a serious challenge for a top four spot. A lack of pace at the back was the undoing of the Phoenix in their inaugural season and the signing of Durante probably wont address that fault. But the future is significantly brighter for Terry Serrepisos club, contrasting with the perpetually-doomed Knights franchise.

Adelaide are certainly the side who have been hit hardest by the transfer bug.

Gone are Djite and Burns, and there doesnt seem to be too much of an alternative in the way of goals and creativity up-front for the Reds.

Unless they choose to recall Romario.

In any case, the capture of modern-day barbarian Ogenovski to provide cover for Valkanis will compliment the classy Costanzo, and the addition of youngster Scott Jamieson from Bolton should provide more defensive cover for an already disciplined side.

Creativity is needed after the departure of Burns, and it appears as though Vidmar is looking to Brazilian full-backs for inspiration (the addition of a couple more on top of Cassio certainly suggests so).

Whether Christiano will be as effective as Bruce Djite might be a crucial determinant of Adelaides success.

Interestingly, the Jets have been rather quiet considering their status as defending champions.

Perhaps they have been more concerned with retaining the services of a certain Joel Griffiths, who struggled for rhythm whilst on loan in Japan.

But the loss of Bridge and, in particular, Musialik, will certainly test Van Egmonds managerial credentials. The Jets squadron is looking particularly thin ahead of their title defence.

Dave Mitchell is in the process of trying to ease the pain of three unforgettable A-League seasons for the anti-climatic former NSL Champions, the Perth Glory.

The loss of Colossimo probably wont hurt them too much, considering the player rarely found his best form for the Glory and was plagued by injury in the west.

The addition of some South-American and African flavour to the Glory might be enough to help them avoid the wooden spoon. But a leader on the pitch is what they desperately need to bring it all together.

Coyne and Djulbic need to retain their impressive form from last season if the Glory are to have any chance of summoning the unity and team spirit they will need to break into the finals.

The blend of youth and experience that Frank Farina has been blessed with at Queensland means that his Dutch addition of Van Dijk up front should help solve the clubs notorious inability to score goals on a consistent basis.

Reinaldo enjoyed flashes of magic but never delivered the clinical form in front of goal that is so crucial in this league.

[glow=red,2,300]Unlike their opponents, who have seen the soul of entire sides, it is perhaps the Central Coast who have come out winners from the silly season.

McKinnas movements have been anything but.

He has recognised the missing ingredients which have cost him championships: a goal-scorer and creativity from midfield.

McAllisters European experience might satisfy the former, and Elrichs undoubted potential the latter.

Add it to an already unified, hard-working side, and it might finally be a winning formula.[/glow]

If only they could find a jersey which sufficiently masks Bosnichs bulging waste-line.

It should be an interesting next few weeks.

Ill be keeping an eye on a John Aloi$i-less Pre-Season Cup for potential gems and certain failures.

FFC Mariner

IMHO, a fit St Nik will make us genuine contenders.

He is a proven finisher and if we can get 10/12 games out of him, that will do the trick.

S

soccersensei

Yeah absolutely, Nik has a serious goal nose (well he has serious nose regardless of the goals)
But you know what I mean ;D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred